What's new

Images: the Chinese People's War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression

Hey, I remembered that conversation as well from when I played the game a few years back.
Im surprised to see someone one else recalling it!

La Noire was a great game, despite some of the complaints. The car driving was crap (for me anyways) and I always got the partnering detective to do the driving. Im too lazy.

Characters were well done, especially Phelps and his buddies from the war - especially that medic who shot Phelps (cant recall his name) and the mentally deranged cowboy.

Remember that serial killer case? Freaky as hell.

Cant say that I look forward to the developers next project. The fcukers are calling it 'Whore of the orient'.

Yeah, driving yourself to a fixed destination isn't the best part of the game but I enjoyed the car chases, especially the last one in which you assume the role of Kelso and you have to follow Phelps while taking care of the corrupt LAPD officers and detectives who want to hunt you down, which was pretty epic.

The corpsman from Cole's unit who teamed up with Dr Fontaine in the main plot line was Courtney Sheldon and the cowboy with the flamethrower was Ira Hogeboom. I like how Team Bondi linked up Phelps' experiences in the Pacific War with the main plot. Pity Phelps couldn't escape from the sewers and the corrupt elements of the LAPD weren't brought to justice (though Monroe possibly was, as he was a leading member of the Suburban Redevelopment Fund which Kelso, Phelps and Biggs uncovered)

The homicide cases were mental, that's for sure, but my favourite was the Arson cases wherein you get to discover the dirty games the members of the said organisation were playing. Remember the mission where you (playing as Kelso) and your former squadmates from Okinawa have to fight against Monroe's henchmen at his mansion? The gun battles are also one of the best features of L.A. Noire though I'm not a big fan of the final shooting in the sewage.

The funniest part imho in the game is from one of the DLC cases (Traffic; The Consul's Car) in which you interrogate the Argentinean Consul General and make him out to be a paedophile.

Phelps: You <expletive> young boys, Valdez?

Valdez: Are you a madman? This will cause an international incident!

:lol: :lol:

Then you calm him down by telling him about his notebook and he reveals some of his experience with a suspect of the case you have to catch.

BTW, wondering how the devs are depicting the KMT and the CPC in their upcoming game...

Last edited:
Impressive game analysis and application to real word, guys, wow, impressive , LOL!

@rugering ---- check my reply.

I don't know if you've ever played the game, if you haven't, I don't think you'll get much of what I and @+4vsgorillas-Apebane talked about but I'm happy to see you enjoyed reading my posts, thanks. :)

In case you're not familiar with L.A. Noire, there are some parts of the secondary plot line (Phelps' experience in the USMC shown in flashbacks which appear before or after a case every now and then) that are of interest for you. In one particular flashback, Cole was confronted with two Japanese POWs whom he wanted to interrogate amidst the fierce fighting in Okinawa.

Marine: I know they're beaten, but why do they look so sullen?

Phelps: They're wondering why we haven't killed them yet. There is no greater shame than being taken prisoner.

Corporal: Get this, Golden Boy actually seems to know what he is doing.

*Phelps has a brief conversation with a POW in Japanese, then boxes his ear and reprimands him (he possibly learnt Japanese at OCS)*

Corporal: You see that, boys? He slapped that Jap right up side his head.

Phelps: It was merely to remind him of his place. His shame was the tone of voice that he used with a superior. I respect the Japanese, Corporal.

Corporal: Respect? We're here to kill the sons of bitches.

Phelps: Do you know why we are fighting the Japanese, Private?

Private: With respect, sir, these bastards attacked Pearl Harbor.

Phelps: And why did they attack Pearl, Private?

Private: Because they hate the US of A and our way of life.

Phelps: They attacked the US because we cut off their oil. What would we do if another country denied us the gas to run our cars?

(starting at 6:41)

Nice rhetorical question Cole asked at the end :)

Seminar held in Taiwan to mark victory over Japan in WWII
CCTV.com

Taiwan and Hong Kong SAR have also held commemorative ceremonies to mark the 69th anniversary of China’s victory in the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression.

In Taipei, a seminar was held on Wednesday morning, with attendees looking back on that grim period of history. An official at the seminar said the war was important for people in Taiwan, especially Taiwan’s youth, to know that part of Chinese history.

In Hong Kong, the ceremony included a band performance, a choir singing the national anthem, a gun salute and flowers to pay tribute to the dead. Led by Hong Kong Chief Executive C.Y. Leung, about 700 people attended the ceremony. The Hong Kong government has also announced that starting this year, ceremonies will be held on September 3rd and December 13th every year to commemorate the war victory, and the victims who died in the Nanjing Massacre.

Suzuki Keiku: We cut open the stomachs of the pregnant women
CCTV.com
07-03-2014

Among the written confessions released by China’s State Archives Administration on Thursday is one from Lieutenant-General Keiku Suzuki. The commander in Japan’s War of Aggression against China led a campaign of burning, killing and looting in China that also included the use of poisonous gases and infections to kill Chinese people.

From 1937 to 1945, Japanese troops rampaged across Northeast China.

2014070318370211479.jpg

Suzuki Keiku

Keiku Suzuki was among the top Japanese commanders who oversaw the burning down of houses, the murder of Chinese soldiers and the rape of women throughout North China’s Hebei province. And for the first time, the details of this devastation are available to the public, in the transcript of Suzuki’s confession after the war.

Confessions of Keiku Suzuki: “In Lujiayu, we used poison gas in an attack to murder about 100 cadres and soldiers of the Chinese army. We also killed 235 Chinese peasants seeking refuge in a village near Lujiayu. We cut open the stomachs of the pregnant women among them, burned down about 800 households, killed five captives to be delivered to Yutian and raped as many as 100 women.”

Suzuki also admitted that the Japanese military violated international laws and regulations by killing people using chemical and biological attacks that left more than 100 people affected by cholera.

Confessions of Keiku Suzuki: “In Linxian county, I ordered the Epidemic Prevention and Water Supply Squad to spread cholera in three or four villages. I also ordered the division field hospital in Huaiqing to conduct an experiment, using gas injections to kill people. This is evidence of violations against humanity.”

2014070318404089998.jpg

Confession by Japanese war criminal details atrocities

He confirmed that the Japanese military had set up several stations for the use of sexual slaves, referred to as "comfort women" during the war.

Confessions of Keiku Suzuki: “For the use of its soldiers, the Japanese military set up comfort women stations, luring Chinese and Korean women to serve as comfort women. The husbands and relatives of these women raped must be saddened by this.”

According to Suzuki’s confession, during his six-year stay in China, Japanese soldiers under his command killed more than 5,400 Chinese people and burned down or damaged more than 18,000 houses, but he said the actual number may be much higher.

In 1945, Keiku Suzuki was arrested by Soviet Union troops and was transferred to China in 1950. He remained in Chinese detention until his death in 1982.

2014070318412220749.jpg

A reporter takes notes while reading a poster board before a press conference in Beijing, capital of China, July 3, 2014. Confessions made by 45 Japanese war criminals tried and convicted by military tribunals in China after World War II (WWII) will be published on the website of the Chinese State Archives Administration from Thursday, which is 日本战犯的侵华罪证自供 Handwritten confessions, along with Chinese translations and abstracts in both Chinese and English, will be published by one each day over a 45-day period. (Xinhua/Shen Bohan)

Seminar held in Taiwan to mark victory over Japan in WWII
CCTV.com

Taiwan and Hong Kong SAR have also held commemorative ceremonies to mark the 69th anniversary of China’s victory in the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression.

In Taipei, a seminar was held on Wednesday morning, with attendees looking back on that grim period of history. An official at the seminar said the war was important for people in Taiwan, especially Taiwan’s youth, to know that part of Chinese history.

In Hong Kong, the ceremony included a band performance, a choir singing the national anthem, a gun salute and flowers to pay tribute to the dead. Led by Hong Kong Chief Executive C.Y. Leung, about 700 people attended the ceremony. The Hong Kong government has also announced that starting this year, ceremonies will be held on September 3rd and December 13th every year to commemorate the war victory, and the victims who died in the Nanjing Massacre.

Suzuki Keiku: We cut open the stomachs of the pregnant women
CCTV.com
07-03-2014

Among the written confessions released by China’s State Archives Administration on Thursday is one from Lieutenant-General Keiku Suzuki. The commander in Japan’s War of Aggression against China led a campaign of burning, killing and looting in China that also included the use of poisonous gases and infections to kill Chinese people.

From 1937 to 1945, Japanese troops rampaged across Northeast China.

2014070318370211479.jpg

Suzuki Keiku

Keiku Suzuki was among the top Japanese commanders who oversaw the burning down of houses, the murder of Chinese soldiers and the rape of women throughout North China’s Hebei province. And for the first time, the details of this devastation are available to the public, in the transcript of Suzuki’s confession after the war.

Confessions of Keiku Suzuki: “In Lujiayu, we used poison gas in an attack to murder about 100 cadres and soldiers of the Chinese army. We also killed 235 Chinese peasants seeking refuge in a village near Lujiayu. We cut open the stomachs of the pregnant women among them, burned down about 800 households, killed five captives to be delivered to Yutian and raped as many as 100 women.”

Suzuki also admitted that the Japanese military violated international laws and regulations by killing people using chemical and biological attacks that left more than 100 people affected by cholera.

Confessions of Keiku Suzuki: “In Linxian county, I ordered the Epidemic Prevention and Water Supply Squad to spread cholera in three or four villages. I also ordered the division field hospital in Huaiqing to conduct an experiment, using gas injections to kill people. This is evidence of violations against humanity.”

2014070318404089998.jpg

Confession by Japanese war criminal details atrocities

He confirmed that the Japanese military had set up several stations for the use of sexual slaves, referred to as "comfort women" during the war.

Confessions of Keiku Suzuki: “For the use of its soldiers, the Japanese military set up comfort women stations, luring Chinese and Korean women to serve as comfort women. The husbands and relatives of these women raped must be saddened by this.”

According to Suzuki’s confession, during his six-year stay in China, Japanese soldiers under his command killed more than 5,400 Chinese people and burned down or damaged more than 18,000 houses, but he said the actual number may be much higher.

In 1945, Keiku Suzuki was arrested by Soviet Union troops and was transferred to China in 1950. He remained in Chinese detention until his death in 1982.

2014070318412220749.jpg

A reporter takes notes while reading a poster board before a press conference in Beijing, capital of China, July 3, 2014. Confessions made by 45 Japanese war criminals tried and convicted by military tribunals in China after World War II (WWII) will be published on the website of the Chinese State Archives Administration from Thursday, which is 日本战犯的侵华罪证自供 Handwritten confessions, along with Chinese translations and abstracts in both Chinese and English, will be published by one each day over a 45-day period. (Xinhua/Shen Bohan)

Fcuking sick!

I hope that WW2 will NEVER be forgotten, the darkest times in Chinese history a reminder to all Chinese to be strong, educated and upright.

Never again fall into decadence, ignorance and arrogance!

Fcuking sick!

I hope that WW2 will NEVER be forgotten, the darkest times in Chinese history a reminder to all Chinese to be strong, educated and upright.

History should never be forgotten. And the experience of the past should guide us as to what sort of country we will build for the future.

First and foremost, China needs to be untouchable. Anybody that touches us should experience a similar fate that Japan experienced after it killed some 2000 USers.

Absolute power and very radical punishment capabilities is the only way to ensure China's territorial sovereignty and national dignity.

China publishes video of Japan's surrender for first time
CCTV.com

Full coverage: Victory Day of Anti-Japanese Aggression War

A Chinese museum has published footage of the surrender of Japanese troops in China for the first time. This comes amid Chinese commemoration events honoring the 77th anniversary of the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression. The three video clips document the moments that marked the end of eight years of suffering for the Chinese people.

2014070814260327523.jpg

A Chinese museum has published footage of the surrender of Japanese troops in China for the first time.

On August 21, 1945, six days after the Japanese emperor announced an end to the war, his troops in China surrendered in Zhijiang City, central China. Japanese representatives signed the surrender memorandum, acknowledging defeat.

"This was the map showing the deployment of all the invading Japanese troops, some 1.1 million troops. Handing over the map meant a lot and was a very important process of surrender," Wu Jianhong, curator with Museum Of The Acceptance Of The Japanese Surrender, said.

Zhijiang City has special meaning to Chinese people. It was the site of the last battle between the Chinese army and invading Japanese troops.

There were massive casualties for both sides, but Japanese troops were halted there. Some believe that to be the symbolic reasoning behind China’s choice to accept the surrender in Zhijiang.

2014070814270762764.jpg

A Chinese museum has published footage of the surrender of Japanese troops in China for the first time.

2014070814271162293.jpg

2014070814272249260.jpg

2014070814272879047.jpg

2014070814273422138.jpg

Photos of Chinese forced labors working for Japan revealed

File photo copy shows Chinese forced labors working for Japan to build the Fengman hydropower station in Jilin of northeast China after the region was illegally occupied by Japanese invaders in 1931. Japan invaded northeast China in 1931 and conducted a full-scale invasion in 1937. By the end of World War II, millions of Chinese forced laborers had been enslaved by Japanese invaders to toil under harsh conditions at mines and factories in northeast China and Japan. Those laborers were under close watch and suffered inhumane treatment. Many of them died from malnutrition, illness, physical abuse and plain murder.

Starting from July 7 til Sept 4, 2015, CCTV runs a series of special documentary programme commemorating 70th anniversary of the end the Sino Japanese War 2

This is the poster of the show:

194309vgo1ee6sqex6c5qj.png

The series covers 60 episodes. Each lasts for about 4 minutes

The first one started broadcasting on July 7, 2015, TV-link below:

Same day 70 years ago, imperial Japanese made an excuse to start the invasion through "Lugouqiu Incident" (盧溝橋事變)

Lugouqiao Incident

The first regiment of the Japanese troops stationed in Fengtai started military drills day and night from late June 1937. On July 6, lined-up Japanese forces in Fengtai tried to force their way to the Lugouqiao (Marco Polo Bridge), but were rejected by the Chinese troops garrisoned at the bridge. The Japanese forces retreated after gun-holding confrontation of 10 hours. On the evening of July 7, 1937, Japanese troops launched a "practice with live ammunition" several hundred meters away from the sentry of Chinese forces at the Lugouqiao. At about 11 PM, gunshots were suddenly heard from eastern Wanping County. Later, several Japanese troops were seen outside the county, claiming that one of their soldiers was missing and requesting to enter the county to look for him.

With the unreasonable request rejected, Renya Mutaguchi, commanding officer of the Japanese regiment, ordered to "fight back." At 5 AM on July 8, reinforced Japanese troops assaulted the Wanping County, and the Chinese 219th Regiment of the 37th Division of the 29th Army launched tenacious resistance. The Lugouqiao Incident was the prelude of the struggle of all the Chinese people against the Japanese aggression.

Also:
Marco Polo Bridge Incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The TV linking to each episode as follows: (presentation all in Chinese. English version may be presented lateron )

July 7, 2015:
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:卢沟桥事变 (Lugouqiu Incident)
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:卢沟桥事变_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

July 8
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念——重庆大轰炸:不该被遗忘的罪行
(Bombing of Chungking)
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念——重庆大轰炸:不该被遗忘的罪行_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

July 9
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:中国远征军入缅作战
(Battle in "Burma")
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:中国远征军入缅作战_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

July 10
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:石牌保卫战
(Defence of the Monolith)
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:石牌保卫战_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

July 11
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:一个侵华日军的战地实录
(An Imperial Japanese' battlefield account)
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:一个侵华日军的战地实录_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

July 12
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:我的父亲是“南侨机工”
(My father - a Nanqiao Mechanic)
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:我的父亲是“南侨机工”_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

July 13
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:厂窖惨

(Changjiao massacre)
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念:厂窖惨案_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

More to come soon ---

I am not able to keep up with all the episodes but for members who are interested to know if "Flying Tigers" contributions to our Victory were recognised, yes, there is a chapter devoted to the US pilot's alliance with China against the invaders:
[中国新闻]不能忘却的纪念——“飞虎队”王牌飞行员:比尔·贝恩斯_中国新闻_视频_央视网

For the coming parts of the series which are still airing on CCTV daily please watch it also on the net through the following link

《中国新闻》大型抗战系列报道——《不能忘却的纪念》_新闻频道_央视网(cctv.com)

Scroll down and look for these screen shots here below then click on any previous episode to view
Look at the "page" of the screenshots to select earlier films as indicated at the bottom
The pages are arranged in reverse time order, More recent episodes are posted in the first page
抗日节目.PNG

Last edited:
New evidence of Japanese biological warfare found at Unit 731 site in Harbin
| 2015-07-29

134459329_14381552076071n.jpg

A researcher shows relics excavated from the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, July 28, 2015. Incineration pits and traces of explosives left by Japanese invaders destroying evidence have been found at the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin. The new findings were part of an operation to destroy a bacteria lab and burn experimental facilities at the site. Unit 731 was a top-secret biological and chemical warfare research base established in Harbin in 1935 as the center of Japan's biological warfare in China and Southeast Asia during WWII. The retreating Japanese invaders blew up the base when the Soviet Union took Harbin in 1945. (Xinhua/Wang Kai)

134459329_14381552075651n.jpg

Photo taken on July 28, 2015 shows relics excavated from the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province. Incineration pits and traces of explosives left by Japanese invaders destroying evidence have been found at the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin. The new findings were part of an operation to destroy a bacteria lab and burn experimental facilities at the site. Unit 731 was a top-secret biological and chemical warfare research base established in Harbin in 1935 as the center of Japan's biological warfare in China and Southeast Asia during WWII. The retreating Japanese invaders blew up the base when the Soviet Union took Harbin in 1945. (Xinhua/Wang Kai)

134459329_14381552076471n.jpg

A researcher shows incineration pits left by Japanese invaders at the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, July 28, 2015. Incineration pits and traces of explosives left by Japanese invaders destroying evidence have been found at the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin. The new findings were part of an operation to destroy a bacteria lab and burn experimental facilities at the site. Unit 731 was a top-secret biological and chemical warfare research base established in Harbin in 1935 as the center of Japan's biological warfare in China and Southeast Asia during WWII. The retreating Japanese invaders blew up the base when the Soviet Union took Harbin in 1945. (Xinhua/Wang Kai)

Photo taken on Oct. 17, 2014 shows a bird's-eye view of a bacteria lab and prison used to house people for biological experiments of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province. Incineration pits and traces of explosives left by Japanese invaders destroying evidence have been found at the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin. The new findings were part of an operation to destroy a bacteria lab and burn experimental facilities at the site. Unit 731 was a top-secret biological and chemical warfare research base established in Harbin in 1935 as the center of Japan's biological warfare in China and Southeast Asia during WWII. The retreating Japanese invaders blew up the base when the Soviet Union took Harbin in 1945. (Xinhua/Wang Kai)

134459329_14381552077441n.jpg

Photo taken on July 28, 2015 shows relics excavated from the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province. Incineration pits and traces of explosives left by Japanese invaders destroying evidence have been found at the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin. The new findings were part of an operation to destroy a bacteria lab and burn experimental facilities at the site. Unit 731 was a top-secret biological and chemical warfare research base established in Harbin in 1935 as the center of Japan's biological warfare in China and Southeast Asia during WWII. The retreating Japanese invaders blew up the base when the Soviet Union took Harbin in 1945. (Xinhua/Wang Kai)

134459329_14381552077841n.jpg

134459329_14381552078181n.jpg

134459329_14381552078561n.jpg

Researchers check glass vessel relics excavated from the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin, northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, July 28, 2015. Incineration pits and traces of explosives left by Japanese invaders destroying evidence have been found at the remains of Japan's notorious Unit 731 headquarters in Harbin. The new findings were part of an operation to destroy a bacteria lab and burn experimental facilities at the site. Unit 731 was a top-secret biological and chemical warfare research base established in Harbin in 1935 as the center of Japan's biological warfare in China and Southeast Asia during WWII. The retreating Japanese invaders blew up the base when the Soviet Union took Harbin in 1945. (Xinhua/Wang Kai)

@Keel

Are these simple japanese "errors" committed during WW2 in China?

These are the most heinous crimes in human history.
These are Crimes Against Humanity.

Human bones could reveal truth of Japan's 'Unit 731' experiments

More than 60 years after the end of the Second World War, the name "Unit 731" still has the power to generate shock, revulsion and denial in Japan.

Human bones could reveal truth of Japan's 'Unit 731' experiments - Telegraph
Image 1 of 2
Some excavated bones bore the marks of saws and some of the skulls had drill holes and portions of the bone cut out Photo: AFP/GETTTY

japan3_1578253c.jpg

Image 2 of 2
Interrogation at Unit 731

By Julian Ryall in Tokyo

7:00AM GMT 15 Feb 2010

The Imperial Japanese Army's notorious medical research team carried out secret human experiments regarded as some of the worst war crimes in history.

Its scientists subjected more than 10,000 people per year to grotesque Josef Mengele-style torture in the name of science, including captured Russian soldiers and downed American aircrews.

The experiments included hanging people upside down until they choked, burying them alive, injecting air into their veins and placing them in high-pressure chambers.

Now new detail about their victims' suffering could be revealed after the authorities in Tokyo announced plans to open an investigation into human bones thought to have come from the unit.

A new search is also due to be carried out for mass graves that may contain more victims of human experiments.

The bones are thought to be from up to 100 people and were discovered in a mass grave in 1989 during construction work.

They bore the marks of saws and some of the skulls had drill holes and portions of the bone cut out. But the issue is so controversial in Japan that they have since been stored in a repository.

Acting on information from a former nurse, the authorities have announced they will re-examine the remains to determine whether they were used in some of the barbaric experiments carried out by Unit 731 in the dying days of the Second World War.

Toyo Ishii came forward to say that during the weeks after Japan's surrender in August 1945, she and her colleagues at the army hospital were ordered to bury corpses, bones and body parts – she said it was impossible to determine how many people they came from – before the Allies arrived.

In an interview, she claimed that the hospital had three mortuaries where bodies with numbered tags around their necks were stored in a pool of formalin to preserve them before they were dissected. Organs and other body parts were preserved in glass jars. The sites that Ishii pinpointed as the mass graves will now be excavated.

The remains were found on the site of an apartment complex in the Shinjuku district of the city which is scheduled for redevelopment. It means the search is likely to be the last effort to identify the victims and determine their fate.

An investigation after the remains were found in 1989 concluded they were mostly non-Japanese Asians and had probably been used in "medial education" or taken to the medical school from battlefields overseas for analysis. The health ministry has repeatedly denied requests from relatives of several Chinese whose relatives are believed to have died in Unit 731 experiments to have DNA tests carried out on the bones.

Unit 731 was mostly active in China, where it carried out biological, bacteriological and chemical weapons tests on civilians and prisoners of war, including Russian soldiers and Americans.

Others were subject to vivisections, exposed to extreme cold or killed in tests in pressure chambers.

The extreme right wing in Japan refuses to accept that the unit was anything more than a sanitation team that operated behind the front-line troops while virtually nothing on its activities is mentioned in school history books. Many of the scientists involved in Unit 731 went on to have careers in politics, academia, business, and medicine.

"
Most people do not believe it even happened; the rest just want to cover it up and forget about what Japan did during the war," said Tsuyoshi Amemiya, a retired military historian. "Young people don't know and they don't want to know."

Last edited:
UNIT 731
Unlocking a Deadly Secret

text By Nicholas D. Kristof
New York Times
(Excerpts)

Unmasking Horror -- A special report. - Japan Confronting Gruesome War Atrocity - NYTimes.com
UNIT 731 Unlocking a Deadly Secret

Vivisection of humans without anesthetic
[paste:font size="4"]Photos of the experiments, etc

UNIT 731 Unlocking a Deadly Secret

Morioka, Japan

He is a cheerful old farmer who jokes as he serves rice cakes made by his wife and then he switches easily to explaining what it is like to cut open a 30-year-old man who is tied naked to abed and dissect him alive, without anesthetic.
"The fellow knew that it was over for him and so he didn't struggle when 'they led him into the room and tied ,him down," recalled the 72-year-old farmer, then a medical assistant in a Japanese army unit in China in World War II. "But when I picked up the scalpel, that's when he began screaming

"I cut him open from the chest to the stomach and he screamed terribly and his face was all twisted in agony. He made this unimaginable sound, he was screaming so horribly. But then finally he stopped. This was all in a day's work for the surgeons, but it really left an impression on me because it was my first time."

Finally, the old man, who insisted on anonymity, explained the reason for the vivisection: The prisoner, who was Chinese, had been deliberately ~ infected with the plague, as part of a research project, the full horror of which is only now emerging, to develop plague bombs for use in World War II. After infecting him, the researchers decided to cut him open to see what the disease does to a man's inside.

"That research program was one of the great secrets of Japan during and after World War II: a vast project to develop weapons of biological warfare, including plague, anthrax, cholera and a dozen other pathogens. unit 731 of the Japanese Imperial Army conducted research by experimenting on humans and by "field testing" plague bombs by dropping them on Chinese cities to see whether they could start plague outbreaks. They could.

A trickle ofinformation about the germ warfare program has turned into a stream and now a torrent.Half a century after the end of the war, a rush of books, documentaries and exhibitions are unlocking the past and helping arouse interest in Japan in the atrocities committed by some of Japan's most distinguished doctors.

Scholars and former members of the unit say that at least 3000 people and by some accounts several times that number were killed in the medical experiments; none survived. No one knows how many died in the "field testing"

It is becoming evident that the Japanese officers in charge of the program hoped to use their weapons against the United States. They proposed using balloon bombs to carry disease to America and they had a plan in the summer of 1945 to use kamikaze pilots to dump plague infected fleas on San Diego.

The research was kept secret after the end of World War II in part because the U.S. Army granted immunity from war crimes prosecution to the doctors in exchange for their research data. Japanese and U.S. documents show that the United States helped cover up the human experimentation and instead of putting the ringleaders on trial, it gave them stipends.

The accounts now emerging are wrenching to read even after so much time has passed: a Russian mother and daughter reportedly left in a gas chamber, for example, as doctors peer through the thick glass and time their convulsions, watching as the woman sprawls over her child in a futile effort to save her from the gas.

The origin of Germ warfare

Japan's biological weapons program was born in the 1930s, in part because Japanese officials were impressed that germ warfare had been banned by the Geneva Protocol of 1925. If it was so awful that it had to be banned under international law, the officers reasoned, it must make a great weapon.
The Japanese army, which was then occupying a large chunk of China, evicted the residents of eight villages near the city of Harbin in Manchuria to make way for the headquarters of Unit 731. One advantage of China, from the Japanese point of view, was the availability of research subjects on whom germs could be tested. The subjects were called marutas. or logs, and most were Communist sympathizers or ordinary criminals. The majority were Chinese, but there were also many Russian expatriates living in China.

Takeo Wane, 71, a former medical worker in Unit 731 who now lives in the northern Japanese city of Morioka, said he once saw a 6-foot high glass jar in which 3 Western man was pickled in formaldehyde. The man had been cut into two pieces, vertically, and Wane guesses that he was a Russian because there were many Russians then living in the area

The Unit 731 headquarters contained many other such jars with specimens. They contained feet, heads, internal organs, all neatly labeled.

"I saw samples with labels saying 'American,' 'English' and 'Frenchman,' but most were Chinese, Koreans and Mongolians" said a Unit 731 veteran who insisted on anonymity.

Medical researchers also locked up diseased prisoners with healthy ones, to see how readily various ailments would spread. The doctors locked others inside a pressure chamber to see how much the body can withstand before the eyes pop from their sockets.

Victims were often taken to a proving ground called Anda, where they were tied to stakes in a pattern and then bombarded with test weapons to see how effective the new technologies were. Planes sprayed the zone with a plague culture or dropped bombs with plague-infested fleas to see how many people and at what distance from the center would die.

The Japanese army regularly conducted field tests to see whether biological warfare would work outside the laboratory. Planes dropped plague-infected fleas over Ningbo in eastern China and over Changde in north-central China and plague outbreaks were later reported.

Japanese troops also dropped cholera and typhoid cultures in wells and ponds, but the results were often counterproductive. In 1942, germ warfare specialists distributed dysentery, cholera and typhoid in Zhejiang Province in China. but Japanese soldiers themselves became ill and 1,700 died of the diseases, scholars say.

Sheldon Harris, a historian at California State University, in Northridge, estimates that more than 200,000 Chinese were killed in germ warfare field experiments. Hams -author ofa book on Unit 731, "Factories of Death" also says that plague-infected animals were released as the war was ending and caused outbreaks of the plague that killed at least 30,000 people in the Harbin area from 1946 through 1948.

The leading scholar of Unit 731 in Japan, Keiichi Tsuneishi, is skeptical of such numbers. Tsuneishi, who has led the efforts in Japan to uncover atrocities by Unit 731, says that the attack on Ningbo killed about 100 people and that there is no evidence for huge outbreaks of disease set off by field trials.

Knowledge gained at the cost of human lives

Many of the human experiments were intended to develop new vaccines or treatments for medical problems the Japanese army faced. Many experiments remain secret, but an 18-page report prepared in 1945--and kept by a senior Japanese military officer until now--includes a summary of the unit's research. The report was prepared in English for U.S. intelligence officials and it shows the extraordinary range of the unit's work.
There are scores of categories that describe research about which nothing is known. It is unclear what the prisoners had to endure for entries like "studies of burn scar" and "study of bullets lodged in the brains."

Scholars say that the research was not contrived by mad scientists and that it was intelligently designed and' carried out. The medical findings saved many Japanese lives.

For example, Unit 731 proved that the best treatment for frostbite was not rubbing the Limb, which had been the traditional method but immersion in water a bit warmer than 100 degrees, but never mom than 122 degrees.

The cost of this scientific breakthrough was borne by those seized for medical experiments. They were taken outside and left with exposed arms, periodically drenched with water, until a guard decided that frostbite had set in. Testimony From a Japanese officer said this was determined after the "frozen arms, when struck with a short stick, emitted a sound resembling that which a board gives when it is struck."

A booklet just published in Japan after a major exhibition about Unit 731 shows how doctors even experimented on a three-day-old baby, measuring the temperature with a needle stuck inside the infant's middle finger.

"Usually a hand of a three-day-old infant is clenched into a fist", the booklet says, "but by sticking the needle in, the middle finger could be kept straight to make the experiment easier".

The Scope of Human experimentation

The human experimentation did not take place just in Unit 731, nor was it a rogue unit acting on its own. While it is unclear whether Emperor Hirohito knew of the atrocities, his younger brother, Prince Mikasa, toured Unit 731's headquarters in China and wrote in his memoirs that he was shown films showing how Chinese prisoners were "made to march on the plains of Manchuria for poison gas experiments on humans."

In addition, the recollections of Dr. Ken Yuasa, 78, who still practices in a clinic in Tokyo, suggest that human experimentation may have been routine even outside Unit 731. Dr. Yuasa was an army medic in China, but he says he was never in Unit 731 and never had contact with it.

Nevertheless. Dr. Yuasa says that when he was still in medical school In Japan, the students heard that ordinary doctors who went to China were allowed to vivisect patients. And sure enough, when Dr. Yuasa arrived in Shanxi Province in northcentral China in 1942, he was soon asked to attend a "practice surgery."

Two Chinese men were brought in, stripped naked and given general anesthetic. Then Dr. Yuasa and the others began practicing various kinds of surgery: first an appendectomy, then an amputation of an arm and finally a tracheotomy. After 90 minutes, they were finished, so they killed the patient with an injection.

When Dr. Yuasa was put in charge of a clinic, he said, he periodically asked the police for a Communist to dissect, and they sent one over. The vivisection was all for practice rather than for research, and Dr. Yuasa says they were routine among Japanese doctors working in China in the war.

In addition, Dr. Yuasa - who is now deeply apologetic about what he did - said he cultivated typhoid germs in test tubes and passed them on, as he had been instructed to do, to another army unit. Someone from that unit, which also had no connection with Unit 731, later told him that the troops would use the test tubes to infect the wells of villages in Communist-held territory.

Plans to take the germ war to the US homeland

In 1944, when Japan was nearing defeat, Tokyo's military planners seized on a remarkable way to hit back at the American heartland: they launched huge balloons that rode the prevailing winds to the continental United States. Although the American Government censored re. ports at the time, some 200 balloons landed in Western states, and bombs carried by the balloons killed a woman in Montana and six people in Oregon.
Half a century later, there is evidence that it could have been far worse; some Japanese generals proposed loading the balloons with weapons of biological warfare, to create epidemics of plague or anthrax In the United States. Other army units wanted to send cattleplague virus to wipe out the American livestock industry or grain smut to wipe out the crops.

731monu.gif
There was a fierce debate in Tokyo, and a document discovered recently suggests that at a crucial meeting in late July 1944 it was Hideki Tojo - whom the United States later hanged for war crimes - who rejected the proposal to use germ warfare against the United States.

At the time of the meeting, Tojo had just been ousted as Prime Minister and chief of the General Staff, but he retained enough authority to veto the proposal. He knew by then that Japan was likely to lose the war, and he feared that biological assaults on the United States would invite retaliation with germ or chemical weapons being developed by America.

Yet the Japanese Army was apparently willing to use biological weapons against the Allies in some circumstances. When the United States prepared to attack the Pacific island of Saipan in the late spring of 1944, a submarine was sent from Japan to carry biological weapons it is unclear what kind - to the defenders.

The submarine was sunk, Professor Tsuneishi says, and the Japanese troops had to rely on conventional weapons alone.

As the end of the war approached In 1945, Unit 731 embarked on its wildest scheme of all. Codenamed Cherry Blossoms at Night, the plan was to use kamikaze pilots to infest California with the plague.

Toshimi Mizobuchi, who was an instructor for new recruits in Unit 731, said the idea was to use 20 of the 500 new troops who arrived in Harbin in July 1945. A submarine was to take a few of them to the seas off Southern California, and then they were to fly -in a plane carried on board the submarine and contaminate San Diego with plague-infected fleas. The target date was to be Sept. 22, 1945.

Ishio Obata, 73, who now lives in Ehime prefecture, acknowledged that he had been a chief of the Cherry Blossoms at Night attack force against San Diego, but he declined to discuss details. "It is such a terrible memory that I don't want to recall it," he said.

Tadao Ishimaru, also 73, said he had learned only after returning to Japan that he had been a candidate for the strike force against San Diego. "I don't want to think about Unit 731," he said in a brief telephone interview. "Fifty years have passed since the war. Please let me remain silent."

It Is unclear whether Cherry Blossoms at Night ever had a chance of being carried out. Japan did indeed have at least five submarines that carried two or three planes each, their wings folded against the fuselage like a bird.

But a Japanese Navy specialist said the navy would have never allowed Its finest equipment to be used for an army plan like Cherry Blossoms at Night, partly because the highest priority in the summer of 1945 was to defend the main Japanese islands, not to launch attacks on the United States mainland.

If the Cherry Blossoms at Night plan was ever serious, it became irrelevant as Japan prepared to sur-render in early August 1945. In the last days of the war, beginning on Aug. 9, Unit 731 used dynamite to try to destroy all evidence of its germ warfare program, scholars say.

No Punishment, Little Remorse

ishii.gif
Partly because the Americans helped cover up the biological warfare program in exchange for its data, Gen. Shiro Ishii, the head of Unit 731, was allowed to live peacefully until his death from throat cancer in 1959. Those around him in Unit 731 saw their careers flourish in the postwar period, rising to positions that included Governor of Tokyo, president of the Japan Medical Association and head of the Japan Olympic Committee.

By conventional standards, few people were more cruel than the farmer who as a Unit 731 member carved up a Chinese prisoner without anesthetic, and who also acknowledged that he had helped poison rivers and wells. Yet his main intention in agreeing to an interview seemed to be to explain that Unit 731 was not really so brutal after all.

Asked why he had not anesthetized the prisoner before dissecting him, the farmer explained:"Vivisection should be done under normal circumstances. If we'd used anesthesia, that might have affected the body organs and blood vessels that we were examining. So we couldn't have used anesthetic."

When the topic of children came up, the farmer offered another justification: "Of course there were experiments on children. But probably their fathers were spies."

"There's a possibility this could happen again," the old man said, smiling genially. "Because in a war, you have to win."

139246.jpg

On August 28, 1937, Japanese planes bombed the southern railway station of Shanghai, killing more than 200 people on the spot and wounding countless others. Picture shows a famous photo of a wounded baby crying at the scene.

139280.jpg

At noon on December 12, 1937, Japanese troops pushed into Nanjing after using explosives

139285.jpg

A Japanese soldier about to bring his saber down on a Nanjing youth.

139283.jpg

Japanese soldiers used Chinese people as live targets. Shown is one example of their atrocities. According to the stamp on this photo taken by one of the butchers, it was forbidden to show this picture by Japanese authority

139287.jpg

During the massacre, Japanese troops competed in killing people. Shown are two slaughterers Noda Iwao (right), who killed 105 people, and Toshiaki Mukai who killed 106.

139289.jpg

The inhuman Japanese soldiers buried alive many innocent residents.

139293.jpg

One of many Nanjing women gang-raped by Japanese soldiers (photo from a captured Japanese soldier

Fcuking sick!

Remember another just as dark as the Cultural revolution & "great leap forward" too....mate

Back
Top Bottom