What's new

Illusion of anonymity on the web

do you believe that you can hide from the authorites?

• Total voters

doorstar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
who here does not understand that every IP is linked to a name and a physical address. even dynamic ones are logged as to whom they were assigned at what time. even tor and dark web users can be found

Last edited:
you can access the web through hotspots in many American cities. you can get a prepaid cellphone without identity.
sooner or later the authorities will hunt you down
so what does that mean? are you agreeing or disagreeing with me that there is no such thing as anonymity on the web at the end of the day?

2nd part looks like you agree

so what does that mean? are you agreeing or disagreeing with me that there is no such thing as anonymity on the web at the end of the day?
2nd part looks like you agree
I agree with you

you can enjoy anonymity for short periods of time. you cannot be a regular user and still be anonymous

True anonymity doesn't exist even in real life unless one is like the fictional character Tarzan who was raised by Apes in jungle.
The best approach is selective anonymity with 'need to know' policy base. That means that you will allow your identity to be known to some people but not all. Some government but not all governments. It works.

You can.

How do you think Al Qaeda and ISIS made those speeches and videos and sites without ever being traced by even the US?

See, it is very simple. Follow rules & authorities have no problem with you.
exactly so!
How do you think Al Qaeda and ISIS made those speeches and videos and sites without ever being traced by even the US?
by using hotspots, prepaid phones etc. as nahtanbob mentioned. or when the authorities let you do it for reasons best known to themselves
If you are good enough no one can get to you but for 99.999% of web users there is no anonymity online.
not when a person is posting on web forums for years

Me jahan bhi hu @I S I mujhe dhoondh le ga.

Soooo does that mean all the Devon Ave MQM hindustani/urdu speaks I've been exposing already know where I live and could pounce on me?

who here does not understand that every IP is linked to a name and a physical address. even dynamic ones are logged as to whom they were assigned at what time. even tor and dark web users can be found
@Nilgiri @Blacklight @rott @The SC @Sine Nomine @Ahmet Pasha @AgNoStiC MuSliM @waz

Yah there is really no absolute privacy in the end. Just depends how deep someone wants to dig (or set up sensoring for it), and govts tend to have deepest pockets, "time pass" and general resources for it.

Back
Top Bottom