What's new

IK did not cancel KL Summit trip due to Saudi Arabia pressure, says Dr Mahatir

443156.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad (pic) dismissed foreign reports that Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan has cancelled his trip here for the Kuala Lumpur (KL) 2019 Summit following pressure from Saudi Arabia as untrue.

Dr Mahathir said that Imran, who earlier called him to express his regrets for not being able to attend the summit, which starts tomorrow (Dec 18) until Sunday (Dec 21), could have his own reasons.

"That's his choice, we cannot force. In Islam, there is no compulsion in religion.

"He can't come maybe because of other issues.

"But what was reported in the media was not true.

"There is no problem," he told reporters at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre (KLCC) here on Tuesday (Dec 17).

It was reported by foreign media such as Pakistan's Geo News that Imran cancelled his scheduled visit to Malaysia under pressure from Saudi Arabia.

Earlier in a statement, the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) clarified that all 56 countries of the Islamic world were invited and all 56 were represented at various levels.

The KL Summit 2019 was supposed to bring together the heads of government from Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkey and Qatar to address and resolve issues concerning Muslims.

"We invited 50 countries but for the heads of government, at first only three were supposed to be involved then we invited Qatar and Indonesia, if they're interested.

"But if they can't come then we can't force them to.

"They have sent their delegations and representatives, they seem interested in the subjects that we are discussing.

"Hopefully, they (the leaders) will receive some of the information regarding our discussions, which have nothing to do with religion, but instead, the state of affairs of the Muslims," added Dr Mahathir.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...t-trip-due-to-saudi-arabia-pressure-says-dr-m

You sir, are a GENTLEMAN.....Props to Malaysians for electing such a boss.

God...Just observe the difference b/w Saudis leadership and Malaysian one. Didn't join Yemen war, got threatened....didn't join KL summit, well no worries....

Pakistan future lies with these sensible allies. Make that new alliance functional and drag Pakistan into it. Announce in that summit that Pakistan fully supports this initiative and will soon be part of it.

@rambro
I think this alliance contribute alot in Pakistan economy. Turkey,Malaysia and even Iran they design there own industrial complex. They have knowledge and foundation of progressive industrialization. Good universities, lots of research. Pakistan import lots of products from Malaysia, Turkey is huge help in military industrialization, construction , road, dams etc These nation greatly help Pakistan to overcome the dependency on imports.

Yup, the meeting is no where suggest that they will create a Muslim block from this 6 countries (Pakistan, Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Qatar, Iran). Previous plan is to make such block as Mahathir as said to set up a headquarter of this group and said Indonesia is the option for the headquarter place.

Indonesian government on the other hand oppose such effort and suggest for all Muslim nation to use OIC instead to discuss Muslim issue despite keep sending its FM to attend the conference.

Indonesia current administration focuses more on economic development and still hope for Saudi and UAE investment pledge to materialized so I think this is the reason of our vice president sudden cancellation to give speech there. Jokowi also doesnt have any global ambition as it is why he never give speech on UN assembly meeting every years since being elected. I dont think he has any ambition to challenge Saudi dominant influence on Muslim world.

I think cooperation between Muslim countries will be set up in bilateral basis and for Indonesian-Turkish defense cooperation I think is currently under intense talk before Erdogan visit to Indonesia in early 2020 to celebrate our 70 years relationship.
This will eventually create a block. Pak-Saudi incident has push this situation to new level. Because these conference never held over night. All summit working groups sit together and spend months to organize treaties among member countries. Imagine if Pakistan is out ....... what will be the impact and how other nations perceive about Pakistan.
What Pakistan has lost not attending this summit ...... you can easily asses.

Last edited:
So the oil and gas is in our land but we are not allowed to use it? And why would our government and military listen to this.
bharat alone is about 7 times stronger than Pakistan, do you want Iran to be attacking them at the same time as bharat and Afghanistan? keep in mind that Iran is also under the protection of the same superpower as the injuns and afghanis are! not forgetting that half the "Pakistanis" are anti-Pakistan too
Are we slaves or a free nation.
survivors against immense odds!!!

Last edited:
Geo keeping the tradition of fake news its not Mahatir its was Erdogan.
History will prove Pak decision was right Malaysia can't stand US and Arabia pressure along turkey is all if and butts same with Iran remember IK don't need to be ZAB we need pay attention on our house. We can't dare west and Arabia.
But I must say one thing it's lesson for IK too never talk straight with a head of state who can't keep ur secret. Erdogan played very bad politics with IK poking shots on MBS hitting IK as well there are many ways u can talk. It's lesson for IK becareful next time also I stand my words Pak made right decision this allience has no future.
Thanks

Last edited:
Yup, the meeting is no where suggest that they will create a Muslim block from this 6 countries (Pakistan, Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Qatar, Iran). Previous plan is to make such block as Mahathir as said to set up a headquarter of this group and said Indonesia is the option for the headquarter place.

Pakistan is trying to establish an alliance with Turkey and Malaysia, to lift off some pressure from Indian allies/puppets among Muslim states (like KSA, UAE, Bahrain, Iran, Oman, BD,) create a space for more defence cooperation, coordinate foreign policy, and lastly to defend Muslims from the unchallenged propaganda from the West like abuse of Prophet and Quran.

Indonesia, Qatar, and Iran have not nor will they speak out against India or in favor of Kashmir, so I don't know why they were invited frankly. Qatar is trying to un-isolate itself by attaching itself to Turkey, but Iran is no friend of ours and just as bad as KSA gang. So from Pakistan's perspective, it is not so advantageous.

As for Indonesia, until government changes maybe they want to pursue their own policy. We don't have a strong relationship with your country as we used to.

This will eventually create a block. Pak-Saudi incident has push this situation to new level. Because these conference never held over night. All summit working groups sit together and spend months to organize treaties among member countries. Imagine if Pakistan is out ....... what will be the impact and how other nations perceive about Pakistan.
What Pakistan has lost not attending this summit ...... you can easily asses.

Those leaders even dont give any joint statement on the conference. So what I can see is that it is a failed attempt to make a block. What we must do now is nurturing our democracy and improving our economy and improving our bilateral relation with other Muslim nations. So that democratization can be flourished in the Muslim world and those nations can be a role model for other Muslim countries that want to make a transition from authoritarian regime into democracy.

IMO Making such block is still not viable now, even Indonesia who dont borrow any money from Gulf countries and has 1 trillion dollar economy still need to cancel their vice president visit in the last minute.

Mahathir is also going to step down soon and will be replaced by Anwar Ibrahim. There is chance that Anwar Ibrahim will not pursuit any step that can challenge Saudi leadership in Muslim world. For your information, previous Malaysian leader is close to Saudi leadership.

Its It's sad Mahatir is not taken seriously by Erdigan

Those leaders even dont give any joint statement on the conference. So what I can see is that it is a failed attempt to make a block. What we must do now is nurturing our democracy and improving our economy and improving our bilateral relation with other Muslim nations. So that democratization can be flourished in the Muslim world and those nations can be a role model for other Muslim countries that want to make a transition from authoritarian regime into democracy.

IMO Making such block is still not viable now, even Indonesia who dont borrow any money from Gulf countries and has 1 trillion dollar economy still need to cancel their vice president visit in the last minute.

Mahathir is also going to step down soon and will be replaced by Anwar Ibrahim. There is chance that Anwar Ibrahim will not pursuit any step that can challenge Saudi leadership in Muslim world. For your information, previous Malaysian leader is close to Saudi leadership.
Whatever place they choose should be safe from eavesdropping and a military attack.

Back
Top Bottom