What's new

Iftikhar gets warm welcome in New York

This is the Cheif justice of our nation the man whoo stood up against a dictator and won he deserves to be in office so that he can rid us of our demons who have had dozens of cases forgiven against them and all barriers lifted so that they can become an elected official. Today we have a puppet CJ who listens to every command instructed from the president house. As for those who wish to know the Cheif justice of Pakistan has two cars and usually travels in cars borrowed from other people he earns a judges salary because all retired judges earn a judges salary which is quite enough for him to survive off. He is no person who starts as a general and ends up buying houses in turkey and god knows where else.

Who aer you? illiterate dumb PPP activist? Or a corrupt lawyer? Chief justice of our nation is a moron and complete mental retard who stood up against the whole country so that its ecnomcy/society will be ruined more in such a time when US and India are planning attack on Pakistan.

If we have to resolve the solution couple of things should be done right away :

Execute all senior politcans and their activists.
Execute all so called lawyers who spend more time on streets screaming like dogs.
Execute all ex-servicemen who have made a club of their own to disgrace Pakistan army.
Ban all political and religious-political parties of all kinds.
Imprison everyone who speaks against army and Pakistan itself.

Only such solutions will work and i see them getting implemented soon enough. Save ur arse.

All traitors get special treatment from americans.

People like you should go to a "Dogar-court" to get a sense of what justice actually means....

No wonder why pakistan is in such a big mess. People are too naive understand a judicial process.

People like you should go to a "Dogar-court" to get a sense of what justice actually means....

And you should join 'all pakistan traitors club'. Hypocrites like you live in canada and worry about 'Pakistani' politics, you guys have nothing to do with Pakistan but to offer cheap labor to canadian government, let alone speaking about judical stuff.

On the other hand, no matter in what court i will be going, be it of dogar or Mr traitor with distorted eyes [iftkhar], no body is going to get justice, only people like you sitting in canada can dream that anyone is providing some 'justice' here. Judicature is the most corrupt and incompetent institutes of Pakistan, has always been. Lawyers are famous for switching black to white. Ch. iftkhar aint any freaking saint, instead, hes a disgarce to nation and is doing his part in brining this country down to its knees, like many others.

And you should join 'all pakistan traitors club'. Hypocrites like you live in canada and worry about 'Pakistani' politics, you guys have nothing to do with Pakistan but to offer cheap labor to canadian government, let alone speaking about judical stuff.
On the other hand, no matter in what court i will be going, be it of dogar or Mr traitor with distorted eyes [iftkhar], no body is going to get justice, only people like you sitting in canada can dream that anyone is providing some 'justice' here. Judicature is the most corrupt and incompetent institutes of Pakistan, has always been. Lawyers are famous for switching black to white. Ch. iftkhar aint any freaking saint, instead, hes a disgarce to nation and is doing his part in brining this country down to its knees, like many others.

Majority of the members here reside outside pakistan..so better mind your words...and secondly you have no right to call someone a "traitor".
:pakistan:

Be aware, angry people have a higher risk of stroke. So, calm down before you kill yourself or, more importantly, someone else!

Researchers Link Stroke Patients' Anger And Aggression To Brain Injury
3683f2064158fcbb9f41de436b10990b.gif

Majority of the members here reside outside pakistan..so better mind your words...and secondly you have no right to call someone a "traitor".

Exactly! Migrant workers send more than USD 5.5 billion home each year, and they are highly patriotic.

Yet you have the right to call someone a traitor who put his life on the risk several times and escaped car bombings in order to bring Pakistan out from the slums and make it what it is today (or was a year or 2 ago)?
We have a solid foundation to stand upon just because of Musharraf, he has shown true leadership abilities and made crucial decisions while thinking about his country men/women/children at the same time, and yet you call this man a traitor? You completely have ZERO respect, you have no MANNERS and do not have any DISCIPLINE, has nobody taught you to respect and acknowledge those who brought Pakistan mostly if not almost all goods?
Musharraf had a great reason to sack Chaudhury, unfortunately, our uneducated and un-informed mass of people did not realize why and how, Musharraf was busy exterminating corrupt entities from our nation, and he was doing a great job untill he struck one with a motherload who was quite popular, but it's ok, our people will start to use their brains once they're drained out of money.

Yet you have the right to call someone a traitor who put his life on the risk several times and escaped car bombings in order to bring Pakistan out from the slums and make it what it is today (or was a year or 2 ago)?
We have a solid foundation to stand upon just because of Musharraf, he has shown true leadership abilities and made crucial decisions while thinking about his country men/women/children at the same time, and yet you call this man a traitor? You completely have ZERO respect, you have no MANNERS and do not have any DISCIPLINE, has nobody taught you to respect and acknowledge those who brought Pakistan mostly if not almost all goods?
Musharraf had a great reason to sack Chaudhury, unfortunately, our uneducated and un-informed mass of people did not realize why and how, Musharraf was busy exterminating corrupt entities from our nation, and he was doing a great job untill he struck one with a motherload who was quite popular, but it's ok, our people will start to use their brains once they're drained out of money.

Stop acting like a kid, would you? I am clearing it once and for all...I do not agree with the policies of GENERAL MUSHARAFF as majority of pakistanies do? whats big deal about that? We have a difference of opinion so does that mean we start bashing each other? I noticed in another thread that who so ever disagrees with you, you start making personal about him/her..You have made several personal attacks and I ignored you everytime but this is not going to continue for very long.

Peace!!

Stop acting like a kid, would you? I am clearing it once and for all...I do not agree with the policies of GENERAL MUSHARAFF as majority of pakistanies do? whats big deal about that? We have a difference of opinion so does that mean we start bashing each other? I noticed in another thread that who so ever disagrees with you, you start making personal about him/her..You have made several personal attacks and I ignored you everytime but this is not going to continue for very long.

Peace!!

A different opinion is one thing, but your opinions are made without too much thought in them and without regarding the other side of the story.
You say that I use personal attacks to get my opinion across, actually, I don't, the fact of the matter is that you severely criticize and insult our former General and President in such a manner, that it is personally insulting to me aswell, so therefor, I am saying that you have zero respect and need some manners because A. you're insulting someone who loves his country, B. you tried to blackmail him before in a seperate thread which was really cheap, C. you offend me by offending my former President, so if I become a little personal on you, you know the reason because it's vice versa.

A different opinion is one thing, but your opinions are made without too much thought in them and without regarding the other side of the story.
You say that I use personal attacks to get my opinion across, actually, I don't, the fact of the matter is that you severely criticize and insult our former General and President in such a manner, that it is personally insulting to me aswell, so therefor, I am saying that you have zero respect and need some manners because A. you're insulting someone who loves his country, B. you tried to blackmail him before in a seperate thread which was really cheap, C. you offend me by offending my former President, so if I become a little personal on you, you know the reason because it's vice versa.

I crticize him because I do not agree with his policies and I feel that pakistanies have suffered alot in his tenure...Secondly you people heavily critcize Justice Iftikhar for whom I have alot of respect..So I never got personal against you or anyone for that matter...You guys criticize Shahbaz Sharif along with Nawaz without knowing how much has he done for the punjab....Just ask any punjabi and he'll tell you about S.S.....even than I never got personal....
C'mon Man we are on a public forum...wwe are bound to have difference of opinions...you support musharaff and I support Justice Iftikhar...I am not going into details of who has done what before....

Fascism in action

Editorial
Thursday, March 12, 2009

Even in Pakistan's troubled history of democratic governance, it is rare to find examples of the kind of open fascism we are seeing today. As lawyers and activists prepared to set out for their 'Long March' to Islamabad, Section 144 was slapped into place in Punjab and a massive crackdown initiated with raids on the homes of dozens of PML-N workers and leaders. Hundreds have been arrested; some dragged out of homes in the darkness. The PML-N claims the figure runs to thousands.

In Islamabad and Rawalpindi, the action seems to have been even more vicious, with police goons arresting a prominent human rights activist after bursting violently into her home. Though Tahira Abdullah was released after a few hours – the message is clear: The Zardari administration has laid aside all pretence of following democratic practice or even the mere norms of civilized conduct and has reacted in a manner that would make many bloodthirsty dictators proud. Hundreds of lawyers and activists in the city have been rounded up and efforts to nab others are reported to be continuing in Karachi and Quetta, from where some are said to have already set out on the journey towards the federal capital. The current round of midnight raids and swoops is netting those with the highest profile, who have a place and a voice in public life, all in the name of the preservation of law and order. The ordinary men watch askance, fearful of when it may be his door that feels the rap of the baton. Feel their own heels bumping through the dust as they are dragged in the direction of the paddy-wagon and not knowing when they will again see their loved ones. Fear has never been a good tool of governance, yet it seems in these days to be the tool of preference for a government that is looking increasingly panicked and uncertain. What makes the powers that be look even more foolish is the fact that there is obvious dissent within their own ranks. Some within the PPP apparently seek to stand by the values of the late Benazir Bhutto, who had herself announced plans for a long march in 2007. They are not as willing as her widower to abandon these.

Leaders of the lawyers' movement were reportedly tipped off in advance about the plan for mass arrests. Many have gone underground, including Aitzaz Ahsan, who has lambasted the measures resorted to by his own party from a secret location. Arrests of this nature had not been expected – or at least not till March 16, when the protesters are scheduled to arrive at Islamabad. The fact that the detentions are illegal and have already been widely condemned by human-rights groups and the legal fraternity has not deterred the henchmen unleashed by the presidency. Across Punjab, banners asking people to join the Long March have been torn down and lists of persons to be arrested handed out to police. The PML-N has been forced to cancel a crucial meeting as reports of fresh arrests poured in – and it is being anticipated that some effort may now be made to clampdown on a media that has brought the shameful scenes we are witnessing into homes everywhere across the country.

We spiral downwards in the direction of totalitarianism, of the destruction of democratic process and institutions. Whatever good we might have glimpsed in the aftermath of last years election has died, sacrificed on the altar of ambition and selfishness that sadly grips the minds of those who govern. It is Pakistan's tragedy that we have once more been betrayed. The forces that claimed to stand for judicial independence and democratic principle have turned brutally on people. Under its present leadership, the PPP has lost all right to be called a party of the people. Those who head it have been completely exposed. Their actions have plunged a struggling nation into still greater turmoil. History will not absolve them for what they have done.

Long march & the blundering government

Thursday, March 12, 2009
Nasim Zehra

This is how the government plans to kill the spirit of those who are demanding accountable exercise of State and Executive authority through rule of law ensured through an independent judiciary: widespread arrests of politicians, lawyers, political workers and human rights activists, late-night and early-morning house raids by the police to nab organisers of the long march, setting up barricades to prevent movements of vehicles and people towards Islamabad, confiscating goods-loaded containers from transport companies to block all entry points into Islamabad, imposition of Section 144 in the major towns of Punjab and even Sindh. Unworkable.

Does the government recognise what it is up against? If the March 9, 2007, dismissal of the Chief Justice of Pakistan by a military president triggered the birth of a genuine and unique people's movement, three subsequent events ensured that the movement would retain political momentum and popular support for the third year. One, the Nov 3 imposition of a mini-martial law in the name of emergency by General Parvez Musharraf through which he packed up the judiciary. The second was the blatant violation by PPP co-chairperson Asif Ali Zardari of his March 9, 2008, and subsequent August 2008 Agreement to restore the Nov 2 judiciary. The third is the Feb 25, 2009, Supreme Court judgment, which led to the disqualification of Nawaz Sharif and Shahbaz Sharif and the imposition of governor's rule in Punjab. Ironically, the Feb 25 moves, undertaken partially to sabotage, if not weaken the March 16 long march, may in fact have added to its momentum.

Meanwhile, the government's determination to sabotage the long march may not work. Already the repression-resistance cycle has been triggered. This will only grow. The government has put itself on "track disaster." Well before the 16th these highly provocative actions of rounding up activists, workers and leaders may prove to be an impetus for the long march initiative. Nationwide broadcasts of these nation-wide arrests, midnight raids and barricaded towns could motivate those sitting home to join the long march.

Many in Pakistan now believe that the success of this long march alone will take us closer to making Pakistan into the kind of state and society that the Quaid-e-Azam and his followers had dreamt of. The lawyers' movement has awakened a nation which, drowned in the din of vacuous politics and frustrated by debilitating power battles, had almost lost hope of ever experiencing genuine rule of law, an independent judiciary and constitutional democracy. Their grand claims notwithstanding, the politicians and military and civilian rulers were never going to deliver on fundamental requirement of rule of law. The State and Executive authority will therefore almost always remain unaccountable. Against this backdrop the unstated truth at a popular level was that the Quaid's Pakistan was to always remain a dream, that the rights of Pakistan's citizens will always remain secondary to the games that the power players and power brokers play.

March 9 has radically altered this. Even if for a limited number, the post-March 9 developments initially provided them hope that change could be led by forces other than mainstream politicians. As the lawyers' movement gathered momentum it rekindled the hope for a New Pakistan, the Quaid's Pakistan, among urban-based groups from all classes.

The chief justice's dismissal and the imposition of emergency were the triggers for this popular spirit, which through collective action and organisation has now been converted into popular political power. Of the many significant characteristics of this new form of popular political power, six are noteworthy.

One, while this is popular political power it is non-parliamentary and does not seek electoral power. Two, it seeks to influence electoral politics. The adoption of the restoration agenda by mainstream political parties like the PML-N, and to some extent by the PPP, is proof of the success of this non-parliamentary power to actually influence electoral politics. Three, this popular political power may draw support from various political and non-political groups, but in its objective of seeking justice, this power is not aligned to any political party. Hence, this power is committed to the principle of justice, and not to a particular political party.

Four, this popular political power, which has not emerged around partisan politics, has been caused by the experiential Pakistani wisdom that without justice and fair play by the State and the Executive, the Pakistani nation will continue to suffer political cronyism and nepotism, corruption of the powerful and the influential, increasingly distraught huge Pakistani population whether in Balochistan, absence of genuine and sustained democracy, the tribal areas or interior Sindh, expanding poverty, economic under development, absence of security and collective lack of self-confidence and dignity.

Five, this popular political power is positive, not bitter, in content and thrust. The non-violent and inclusive nature of this popular political power holds out genuine hope for Pakistan's ability to move ahead on a non-violent, non-divisive and democratic political path at the end of which there could be redress for those who have been wronged. Six, while the popular political power has many key individuals who have contributed to the emergence of this popular political power, individuals like Munir A Malik, Aitzaz Ahsan, Ali Ahmad Kurd and Hamid Khan, it is collective yet dispersed leadership which has given strength and stability to this popular political power. Even the chief justice, while being an inspirational figure, is constantly under sharp focus of those within the ranks of this popular political power who want him to remain just and fair, and indeed non-political at all cost. Interestingly, the overriding thrust of all these elements is the demand from the politically powerful for justice and fair play.

With the movement in its third year and proceeding now within a different political context from what existed in 2007, the support for this movement has largely remained intact. Had it been a situation in which controversial sections of the 17th Amendment had been repealed, the president would have given up 58(2)(b) and the new judges in the High Courts would have been appointed through the CoD, maybe the lawyers' movement may have lost momentum. People would have viewed the government as one keen to revive the essence of the 1973 Constitution and to strengthen independent institutions.

From hope to reality, that is the journey on which non-parliamentary, non-electoral politics of Pakistan is gradually embarking upon. Many from electoral politics, especially from the opposition, have also joined this journey. The unquestioned and undiluted destination of this journey is rule of law, independent judiciary and accountable exercise of State and Executive authority. The modalities of arriving at that destination could be altered depending on Pakistan's changing power context. However, 2008 has shown that even with a legitimately elected democratic government in office, peaceful struggle and less dialogue may be the way forward towards the destination "rule of law." The elected government has sidelined the Charter of Democracy (CoD), on substantive issues, the most significant and valid roadmap towards good governance and independent judiciary outlined jointly by the PPP and PML-N leaders.

This journey is a long and difficult one. Not merely full of potholes but indeed with hurdles as huge as the containers! The symbolism of the containers that the administration is now stacking to stop the long march from entering Islamabad is not lost. These hurdles cannot last long because the logic of where we stand as a country, with all the problems of State, politics and society, demands that we proceed on this journey towards genuine rule of law, an independent judiciary and accountable exercise of power.

Many Pakistanis keen to participate in the long march believe they are 'on track' but they equally wish this track would have been a peaceful and unifying track. They recognise that in the face of another acute threat, the threat of terrorism, Pakistani leaders and society need to close ranks, not stand divided. That instead of abandoning the restoration movement, in which the PPP was in the forefront throughout 2007, the government would see the wisdom in settling the matter of the restoration amicably. Instead, the government has wished it away through clever-by-half moves. Fresh appointments were made instead of restoration. And some judges were refused even fresh appointments. The Nov 3 move continues to be deemed legal. Politicians are calling for a revolution while the government is accusing them of potential treason. The long march is another assertion of what Pakistanis believe to be a crucial fact that there can be No Democracy With Destroyed Judiciary.

The writer is an Islamabad-based security analyst

Welcome back Chief Justice!

People power has won! The rule of law has won over the rule of the jungle!:pakistan:

e4c3009daf329b002f01c559dd9c51e9.gif
02f1cfa3204006e8ba4574368abcdcfc.gif

cd60e7c8c8fd29db3ddaba53eba0f402.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom