What's new

IDN TAKE: Is the 7.62x51mm Calibre Assault Rifle Suitable For Conventional War?

It all depends on the purpose of use.

for long range engagements, accuracy and better ballistics, 7.62x51 is head and shoulders above 5.56. For short range, rapid engagement involving mobility and manoeuvrability, 5.56 is better.

Pakistan and China is gearing up for war. India is already lagging. If you wish the moon right now, you can't get it.

Oh wow!. We're gearing for war. What hysteria!

It all depends on the purpose of use.

for long range engagements, accuracy and better ballistics, 7.62x51 is head and shoulders above 5.56. For short range, rapid engagement involving mobility and manoeuvrability, 5.56 is better.
Any conventional war fought within range of 300-400m for which 5.56 is the most ideal choice and it comes under effective range of 5.56. it's not heavy like 7.62x51 which weighs 12grams each bullet compared to 4grams 5.56. 7.62x51 is good for sniping, sitting long 600-700m back providing covers to infantry or for battle rifle.
Do soldiers fight battle sitting 600m away from it's enemy? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Any conventional war fought within range of 300-400m for which 5.56 is the most ideal choice and it comes under effective range of 5.56. it's not heavy like 7.62x51 which weighs 12grams each bullet compared to 4grams 5.56. 7.62x51 is good for sniping, sitting long 600-700m back providing covers to infantry or for battle rifle.
Do soldiers fight battle sitting 600m away from it's enemy? I don't think so.

With an MG churning out 7.62x51 at a high rate of fire, YES.

With an MG churning out 7.62x51 at a high rate of fire, YES.

The caliber you specified is specially goes for MMG category, 2 or 3 LMGs in this world use 7.62x51 as optional with it's standard 5.56x45 ammo. So I believe you're talking about MMG.
Where does MGs come into play here when the discussion is about assault rifle calibers? o_O Do you think all enemy soldiers use MMG/LMG ? :cuckoo: Let me know when you understand the role played by assault rifle in a war.
Thank god you spared howitzer. :rolleyes1:

Back
Top Bottom