What's new

IAF to receive CBU-105 next month

you think only one is deployed every time and from only one aircraft? These are called into action when the enemy regiment is seen via satellite. skeet's do guide themselves as indicated in the video...unless I missed something.

No, thats not what I meant. I was talking about the efficiency of ONE CBU-105.

Again, the skeets do not guide themselves, but are uniformly dispersed over the target area. The skeets can only identify a target and detonate if verified.
Kindly give the link if it happens otherwise.

No, thats not what I meant. I was talking about the efficiency of ONE CBU-105.

Again, the skeets do not guide themselves, but are uniformly dispersed over the target area. The skeets can only identify a target and detonate if verified.
Kindly give the link if it happens otherwise.

Perhaps this will help, find label 'E' in the below graphic. The armor-penetrating warhead is fired at the heat source detected by the skeet sensor.

cbu97_35.gif

Perhaps this will help, find label 'E' in the below graphic. The armor-penetrating warhead is fired at the heat source detected by the skeet sensor.

Yes, but it doesn't says anything about independent guidance and maneuvering! From what I understand, the skeets can detect a target beneath them and fire the warhead according to the sensor output. They don't have any fins to guide themselves to a target away from the predicted free-fall trajectory.

What equivalents do other countries possess for this? Does China or Russia or anybody else possess (now or in the the near future) bombs with independently guided sub-munitions specifically designed to penetrate armored and other vehicles?

The IAF should name this 'Thandav', because that is what it will feel like to armored units on the ground.

Yes, but it doesn't says anything about independent guidance and maneuvering! From what I understand, the skeets can detect a target beneath them and fire the warhead according to the sensor output. They don't have any fins to guide themselves to a target away from the predicted free-fall trajectory.

It's deployment is basically depends on detection of an armed column by an aircraft,

skeets dont maneuver, but the bomb needs to be in the relevant zone imo, but when it drops, the cylinder is propelled by the rocket motor and that's when the skeets are deployed, now the 40 skeets are dispersed at 30 degrees wobbling on the descent with its IR and thermal sensors in a spiral pattern. If it finds a relevant heat source, which will basically be the tanks engine area, it will lock on and shoot it.

Each skeet can detect and attack a heat source up to a 1,800 feet or 540 meters away. Independent guidance and maneuvering is unnecessary. In addition, to the armor penetrating projectile each skeet has a fragmentation ring that is very effective against soft targets and light armor.

What equivalents do other countries possess for this? Does China or Russia or anybody else possess (now or in the the near future) bombs with independently guided sub-munitions specifically designed to penetrate armored and other vehicles?

The IAF should name this 'Thandav', because that is what it will feel like to armored units on the ground.

What is 'Thandav'? I assume you think this weapon is badasz. The weapon is effective but it is not infallible.The Yugoslav Army found an interesting counter measure for this weapon by using heated tank decoys (dummy tanks) during the Kosovo war.

What is 'Thandav'? I assume you think this weapon is badasz. The weapon is effective but it is not infallible.The Yugoslav Army found an interesting counter measure for this weapon by using heated tank decoys (dummy tanks) during the Kosovo war.

Thandav is dance by Lord Shiva, sometimes called dance of death based on the mood of Lord Shiva.

It is the dance of death and destruction performed by Shiva, according to many hindu traditions. A metaphor for the destructive manifestation of the primal force of the universe, another core belief for some traditions. Has been a running metaphor in and a key concept and philosophy for many classical dances and sculpture and art, especially in South India. The famous Bronze "nataraja" from the chola period (a highly commercialized object who's replica is seen in homes across the world) depicts this particular aspect of Shiva. According to the Ramayana, Ravan (the villain of the epic) spontaneously composed an ode to Shiva's tandava when Shiva easily crushed Ravan's attempted attack, with his toe. Regardless of the authenticity of the alleged author, it remains one of the most powerful verse I have heard in Sanskrit.

So I thought the metaphor for cosmic destruction, turning of being into non-being, would be appropriate for a weapon that, when mounted in numbers on a jag or MKI, can convert a mighty armoured thrust into a burning heap of vaporware.

So yes, to use the popular American parlance, you could say it is "b@d@$$".

Are you sure about what happened in Kosovo? From what I know, this weapon has only been used once, and that was in Iraq. Even if it were true, perhaps with improved surveillance capabilities and recon drones, especially for India on its borders or nearby, that shouldn't be a problem. Also, I am assuming that India can have better humint on the battlefield than the US could in Kosovo. India can launch Ghatak units or other scouts to visually observe enemy vehicle concentrations, since we only expect to fight close to home.

Are you sure about what happened in Kosovo? From what I know, this weapon has only been used once, and that was in Iraq. Even if it were true, perhaps with improved surveillance capabilities and recon drones, especially for India on its borders or nearby, that shouldn't be a problem. Also, I am assuming that India can have better humint on the battlefield than the US could in Kosovo. India can launch Ghatak units or other scouts to visually observe enemy vehicle concentrations, since we only expect to fight close to home.

It was deployed but not used, the counter measure was successful against other heat seeking weapons.
Since then lessons have been learnt and newer more intelligent sensors are more difficult to fool.

Yeah I had a thread about it over a year ago.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/chinese-defence/119873-development-sensor-fuzed-weapons.html

Quote: China is one of 5 countries to develop sensor fuzed weapons. USA, Russia, Great Britain, and Sweden are the other 4

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom