What's new

IAF seeks direct control of HAL to stem eroding combat-edge

Too much of civilian intervention in India, the is a good move

How is it good? Is Lockheed martin, Boeing, Airbus , Saab etc are managed by Armed forces...No, they are headed by civilians and they have a very good track record of delivering what they promised with no or little cost over runs (except for projects like F-35). Its the work culture that has to change with better communication b/n management and the armed forces so that the latter can give their valuable inputs every step of the way reducing cost over runs.

good proposition. i believe that this move if implemented could arrest some of the delays in induction

How is it good? Is Lockheed martin, Boeing, Airbus , Saab etc are managed by Armed forces...No, they are headed by civilians and they have a very good track record of delivering what they promised with no or little cost over runs (except for projects like F-35). Its the work culture that has to change with better communication b/n management and the armed forces so that the latter can give their valuable inputs every step of the way reducing cost over runs.

The difference is that all the companies mentioned above built their capabilities due to competition. Whenever their respective govt's wanted a new plane, they would invite multiple designs and select the best one. Here HAL has a monopoly and IAF is heavily dependent on it.

I think we have NAL for it.

NAL is more focussed on civilian aircraft. But if they do compete with HAL it would probably work out better for India.

The difference is that all the companies mentioned above built their capabilities due to competition. Whenever their respective govt's wanted a new plane, they would invite multiple designs and select the best one. Here HAL has a monopoly and IAF is heavily dependent on it.

NAL is more focussed on civilian aircraft. But if they do compete with HAL it would probably work out better for India.

I don't think SAAB has any competition in their own country aka Sweden and Royal Swedish Airforce is the major client for SAAB(like IAF is for HAL), but they built some the best jets in the worlds, including the latest Gripen. So monopoly is not an excuse for shoddy performance but I agree that there should be competition and its time that GoI change their archaic policy and open doors to private competitors.

I don't think SAAB has any competition in their own country aka Sweden and Royal Swedish Airforce is the major client for SAAB(like IAF is for HAL), but they built some the best jets in the worlds, including the latest Gripen. So monopoly is not an excuse for shoddy performance but I agree that there should be competition and its time that GoI change their archaic policy and open doors to private competitors.

Agree with SAAB argument and yes there's no excuse for shoddy performance. But they technically they do compete with EADS and Dassault as their home requirements are not that high. Indian (and US) scenarios are quite different given that majority of the aircraft are used by the homeland armed forces.
Again agree with the private competitors argument as well. But don't really see domestic companies with the capabilities to take it up. Maybe TATA's will suddenly decide to take over SAAB and bring the tech to India :D. the valuation would be close to Corus valuation.

Agree with SAAB argument and yes there's no excuse for shoddy performance. But they technically they do compete with EADS and Dassault as their home requirements are not that high. Indian (and US) scenarios are quite different given that majority of the aircraft are used by the homeland armed forces.
Again agree with the private competitors argument as well. But don't really see domestic companies with the capabilities to take it up. Maybe TATA's will suddenly decide to take over SAAB and bring the tech to India :D. the valuation would be close to Corus valuation.

HAL should not insist on manufacturing everything from the smallest nut to jet engine all by themselves but outsource some components to outside players. There is the example of sub contractors for Maruti Udyog. First they had no experience or expertise in manufacturing and delivering world class automotive parts.Now 3 decades down the line , some of them are world class spare parts manufacturers delivering spare parts to many world class brands. Everybody has to start somewhere, all they need is a chance.

Control must not be given..They can have their consultants in the projects...

Whats the big deal in trying ?. Either way HAL cannot do down from where it is now :D

and if this happens then Army will say I want control over DRDO!!

IAF will ensure that they dont include a SINGLE aircraft from HAL while they enjoy benifiting their officers...

Whats the big deal in trying ?. Either way HAL cannot do down from where it is now :D

Nah...HAL is doing well actually, why IAF will try, you know our habits, once we sit on a chair that gives bucks we will never leave it until we suck it dry.

Does IAF backs HAL on its developmental projects. I have worked in HAL for enough years to know the nasty attitude of IAF brass to import from abroad and snub HAL. this is the most stupidest move ever. I hope MoD doesn't fall for this

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom