What's new

IAF orders another 750 Akash surface-to-air missiles

Gr8 Going. One More program eternally blamed as a failure is bearing fruit after decades of persistence. DRDO having taken all the bricks thrown at its way must be relishing this. Sweet smell of success :smitten:

Thanks to IAF... Big orders like this go a long way in stimulating our fledgling defense Industry. And Must I add 750 SAM systems could give good coverage to lot of sensitive installations. Way to Go...

Gr8 Going. One More program eternally blamed as a failure is bearing fruit after decades of persistence. DRDO having taken all the bricks thrown at its way must be relishing this. Sweet smell of success :smitten:

Thanks to IAF... Big orders like this go a long way in stimulating our fledgling defense Industry. And Must I add 750 SAM systems could give good coverage to lot of sensitive installations. Way to Go...

I think much criticism abt DRDO is hyped and it will prove its metal in the future as they get access to high level tech :smitten:

Good news. I have some doubts

How these type of things are maintained. We know aircrafts need routine maintenance but these kind of things are not going to use daily. Once these things are ordered and delivered, they may not use at all. So how the airforce maintaince these things against factors such as corrosion.

Also what will the force do once an upgraded model of these produced.

That's 2 Akash Missile for every JF17.... LOL

Twp problems with that quote

a) This has the potential to derail the thread due to flame wars....Akash is a great success story of DRDO who usually gets spanked like a kid from all over....This is a statement, a signature that we are catching up and catching up fast....So my request try and avoid such statements to ensure the message of the thread is cleat and loud...

b) If i am not wrong JF-17 is supposed to perform the role of an interceptor...In other words its primary role is to defend Pak's AirSpace...how come Akash is a threat to it?? Please correct/validate my understanding...

Edited : This answered my part 2

For years the DRDO laboured to fit the entire Akash system — including radars, missile launchers and command centres — into T-72 tanks. This provided the Akash with the cross-country mobility to advance deep into enemy territory along with Indian Army strike corps, shooting down enemy fighters at ranges as far out as 25 kilometres

There seems to be a sudden trend around DRDO projects getting acceptance from the forces. Recently there was the news about Army first praising Arjun (that was a first one) and then finally agreeing to comparitive trials with T90. Then Akash. Also heard recently about Navy pumping in some money for naval Tejas in terms of an order for 6 planes. Looks like the MoD is finally getting convinced of the value of indigenous development and is nudging the guys in green to start playing ball.. Thoughts?? Comments??

There seems to be a sudden trend around DRDO projects getting acceptance from the forces. Recently there was the news about Army first praising Arjun (that was a first one) and then finally agreeing to comparitive trials with T90. Then Akash. Also heard recently about Navy pumping in some money for naval Tejas in terms of an order for 6 planes. Looks like the MoD is finally getting convinced of the value of indigenous development and is nudging the guys in green to start playing ball.. Thoughts?? Comments??

It seems more like that DRDO is getting more success in its R&D recently. Other successful products were already inducted (agni etc). The fruits of hard work are ripening at almost the same time..

Finally the Desi BEL getting some money(big mulla) from IAF budget for all that DRDO's hard work instead of it going into the corpus of foreign company.Good news.:partay:

I wish, Trishul was alive today..... and hope the best for Nag, Arjun and other projects..
Anyway DRDO has it's hands full of projects...and the good thing is that it is getting competition from private sector, Tata, L&T....
It will soon be a perform or perish situation for DRDO...
I also hope private companies would also be allowed to develop missile systems..

Last edited:
Just heard about our beloved Defence minister strongly backing the future of LCA with a 8000 crore promise towards the program... YAY

BANGALORE: The Indian Air Force (IAF) has ordered an additional 750 Akash medium-range surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) from state-run defence behemoth Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) at a cost of Rs 42.79 billion ($925 million), it was announced on Tuesday.

"A decision to place this fresh order with BEL was taken after the IAF expressed satisfaction with the performance of the Akash missiles that are deployed in two squadrons," defence minister AK Antony said on Tuesday.

The IAF will deploy 125 missiles each in six squadrons as and when BEL delivers them. "The first order for 250 missiles was placed last year on a pilot basis. The IAF has decided to deploy the weapon in more squadrons for optimal use," Antony said after inaugurating the digital flight control (DFC) computer facility at BEL here.

BEL chairman and managing director Ashwani Kumar Datt said that the first order was worth Rs 12.21 billion. Designed and developed by the state-run Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the Akash missile defence system is part of the country's integrated guided missile development programme.

"The missile can target an enemy aircraft up to 30 km away, at altitudes up to 18,000 meters and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms," Datt told reporters on the margins of the function.

The missile is capable of carrying conventional as well as nuclear warheads with a payload of 60 kg.
the occasion, BEL also handed over to the defence minister an advanced gun fire control system for the Indian Navy.

Source

WTF Akash missile which is supposed to be a surface to air missile is capable of carrying conventional as well as "Nuclear warhead". .:rofl::rofl:

WTF Akash missile which is supposed to be a surface to air missile is capable of carrying conventional as well as "Nuclear warhead". .:rofl::rofl:

found it funny at first and thought it was the INdian media again upto its tricks..But looked it up and yes, its is supposed to be nuclear capable.. Prior instance of Nuclear SAMs seem to date back to 1950's even

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_(rocket)

When projects were undertaken by DRDO the goals were set very high (plus periodical recommendations from the Force. Take a look at Akash- it has an integrated ramjet-rocket propulsion system, which provides thrust for the missile throughout its entire flight. "Because this missile has an integrated ram-rocket, manoeuvrability is highest. The engine is 'on' throughout the flight. The thrust is on till the missile intercepts the target" (According to the scientists involved in the project) . Most other surface-to-air missiles, including the U.S. Patriot and the Russian S-300 series, use solid-fuel rocket propulsion (which provides initial thrust only which makes them unable to take command till end). So as per technology it is quite different from most of available systems and alleast theoritically it has the potential to be more accurate as it can take command and manuever entire course of flight. Now how efficient it will be in real life that time will tell. Now you decide whether blaming DRDO for delay in operationalise such a system can be justified.

LOL...see the name of the posters for 28 and 29.....it reminds me of mosquito bat...Fox be careful...Foxbat is just after you...so dont make fun of Akash system......:D

Back
Top Bottom