What's new

IAF might get upto 300 FGFA

Reaction score
Country
India
The decks are cleared for a general agreement (GA) on the further joint development and production of the Indo-Russian Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA). After years of bilateral discussions, the agreement is finally set to be signed, possibly with the Russian President visits Delhi later this year.

After the 10th India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) today in Delhi, Indian defence minister AK Antony said, "All the roadblocks are over and soon the FGFA contract will be signed. We will get 250-300 fighter aircraft. Within the next few months, the agreement will be signed. We have sorted out all issues and have found satisfactory agreements."

Russian defence minister Anatoly Serdyukov said, "We are looking forward to the joint creation of the fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA) with our Indian colleagues. We have the design and other details. The draft of the contract has been handed over to the Indian side and is now under their consideration. Once the contract is signed, Sukhoi and HAL will work together."

Edit: Mod please close this thread.

Last edited:
good news! 300 is very big number. with those 300 FGFAs IAF can eye plaaf and paf at same time.

good news! 300 is very big number. with those 300 FGFAs IAF can eye plaaf and paf at same time.

Lets take it in the proper context. By the time IAF deploys 300 5th gen aircraft (probably around the 2030-2035 time frame), China and Pakistan would most likely already be fielding substantial number of 5th generation and possibly pilot-less air vehicles. 300 is a realistic and doable number given that Mig-21s were easily close to or higher than the 300 number in the 70s and 80s and the MKI may reach the same number over the next 2 decades. The bottom line is that 300 may be the number needed to maintain the sanctioned strength of the air force as obsolescence sets on existing platforms. It wont be a situation where only IAF would be fielding 300 FGFA and others without such technology.

Lets take it in the proper context. By the time IAF deploys 300 5th gen aircraft (probably around the 2030-2035 time frame), China and Pakistan would most likely already be fielding substantial number of 5th generation and possibly pilot-less air vehicles. 300 is a realistic and doable number given that Mig-21s were easily close to or higher than the 300 number in the 70s and 80s and the MKI may reach the same number over the next 2 decades. The bottom line is that 300 may be the number needed to maintain the sanctioned strength of the air force as obsolescence sets on existing platforms. It wont be a situation where only IAF would be fielding 300 FGFA and others without such technology.

The deal for FGFA includes the order of 250 FGFA, so those numbers are not unreal and I do expect China to have at least comparable numbers, but Pakistan? Btw, the MKI will reach 270 around before FGFA induction is planned (2017).

The future of IAF would be :-
50 PAK FA's
250 FGFA's...
272 MKI
60 Mig 29 SMT
Mig 21 would be phased out..
40 LCA Mk1
200 LCA Mk2 with AESA and Super-cruise capabilities

Dhruv
weaponized Dhruv
around d 200 LCH

Members please add if somethings are missed

50 PAK FA's
250 FGFA's...
272 MKI
60 Mig 29 SMT
40 LCA Mk1

Dhruv
weaponized Dhruv
around d 200 LCH

Dude , get your FACTS right
By the time IAF gets 300 FGFA/PAKFA ie by 2035 , Mig29smt and Mirage 2000 would already have been retired

Secondly the total Number of LCA actually being ordered by both IAF and Navy stands at 148 ie 126 for IAF , 22 For Navy
And it will stay that number unless HAL develops an MK3 variant with 5500 KG payload , 2D Thrust Vectoring and RCS under 1
The Reason Why the combined order for LCA have declined from 220+57 to 126+22 is Becoz Airforce and navy had to order other aircrafts due to delay in LCA , Iam sure u Know that IAF has ordered additional 80 Su30mki AND Navy has ordered additional 29 Mig29k , since the Year 2000

Last edited:

While u are right that 300 FGFA would be fielded only by 2030-35
And i also believe that china would field a similar number ,
How many 5th gen fighters do u think that Pakistan would be fielding , My guess is that china will only begin export of its 5th gen fighter once they themself have significant number similar to J10 where exports to paf will begin when PLAAF would be operating something like 250 fighters
My guess is that paf would not be operating more than 50 5TH GEN FIGHTERS by 2035 unless Uncle sam decides to sell F35 to pak

As far as ucav are concerned well i believe that pak - china might be operating something like the Predator by 2030-35 or even earlier , but it doesnot exactly make much difference , becoz even u guys say that PAF can shoot down the Predator drones using their J7 so i dont think Iaf will have problem in Shooting down something like the Predator in Near future

Even we are working with the Israel on UCAV project coz we feel that they could be far more useful than our present Heron Drones in Anti Maoist operations , thats coz present uavs only Inform the CRPF of Maoist movement , something like predator can be used to fire at maoist before CRPF reaches with an armed chopper

So Unless Pakistan or china Develops Something Like th X47B UCAV being developed by USAF , i dont see any difference in Balance of power
By the way IAF intends to operate 500 5th gen aircraft while navy wants to field 100 such fighters , Indian Navy will most Probably choose F35B/C for its Naval mrca WHICH REQUESTS FOR 50 aircrafts
And u will most probably see an FGMRCA Being announced in yr 2030 Coz India will begin retiring it Su30mki in yr 2032 and becoz as expected AMCA would have being delayed to 2035 instead of an expected 2025 operational date

by Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blain2
While u are right that 300 FGFA would be fielded only by 2030-35
And i also believe that china would field a similar number ,
How many 5th gen fighters do u think that Pakistan would be fielding , My guess is that china will only begin export of its 5th gen fighter once they themself have significant number similar to J10 where exports to paf will begin when PLAAF would be operating something like 250 fighters
My guess is that paf would not be operating more than 50 5TH GEN FIGHTERS by 2035 unless Uncle sam decides to sell F35 to pak

As far as ucav are concerned well i believe that pak - china might be operating something like the Predator by 2030-35 or even earlier , but it doesnot exactly make much difference , becoz even u guys say that PAF can shoot down the Predator drones using their J7 so i dont think Iaf will have problem in Shooting down something like the Predator in Near future

Even we are working with the Israel on UCAV project coz we feel that they could be far more useful than our present Heron Drones in Anti Maoist operations , thats coz present uavs only Inform the CRPF of Maoist movement , something like predator can be used to fire at maoist before CRPF reaches with an armed chopper

So Unless Pakistan or china Develops Something Like th X47B UCAV being developed by USAF , i dont see any difference in Balance of power
By the way IAF intends to operate 500 5th gen aircraft while navy wants to field 100 such fighters , Indian Navy will most Probably choose F35B/C for its Naval mrca WHICH REQUESTS FOR 50 aircrafts
And u will most probably see an FGMRCA Being announced in yr 2030 Coz India will begin retiring it Su30mki in yr 2032 and becoz as expected AMCA would have being delayed to 2035 instead of an expected 2025 operational date
you are right. we will face no problem in shooting down ucav. in 2008 a Russian MIG 29 shot down Georgian drone which us of a supplied to Georgia.

since when is Pakistan going to get 5th generaton aircraft from china? I have not heard about this. Please enlighten.

Lets take it in the proper context. By the time IAF deploys 300 5th gen aircraft (probably around the 2030-2035 time frame), China and Pakistan would most likely already be fielding substantial number of 5th generation and possibly pilot-less air vehicles.

That is a pretty vague argument.
If for India it would take 15 years to field 300 fighters, what makes u think Pakistan would be fielding a substantial number of 5th gen aircraft in much lesser time?

China and India would starting inducting their aircraft probably at the same time. Pakistan would get the first 5th gen aircraft only when India would be fielding at least 100 aircraft at least. So no matter how many aircraft Pakistan field, India would probably have much more than that.

Also we need to take into account Pakistan's financial situation. So yes, PAF will have 5th gen aircraft, but late and less number of aircraft.

50 PAK FA's
250 FGFA's...
272 MKI
60 Mig 29 SMT
40 LCA Mk1

Dhruv
weaponized Dhruv
around d 200 LCH

You have missed big time

- 126 MMRCA
- 50 Mirage 2000-5 Mk 2
- 139 SEPECAT Jaguar
- 150-200 AMCA

+ 100s of UCAVs

I think IAF will have 1100 to 1250 Fighter Aircraft + 100s of UCAVs

FGFA is still a plane in designing phase. We should also order at least order 2-3 squadron of PAKFA to protect us if there is a delay in FGFA.

Back
Top Bottom