What's new

IAF at Farkhor Air Base in Tajikistan present & future Ambitions

I think it was the Russians who pressurized the Tajiks to allow the Indians at Farkhor. So the Tajiks are not entirely at fault

At last, one Pakistani who has done his homework. The others are simply repeating the 'India - US proxy' rant ad infinitum and ad nauseum without a shred of evidence or credibility. To base military assets in Tajikistan, even the US needs Russian acquiescence. How could India be sitting there looking after US interests? Also, the US has enough bases in the near vicinity to meet all their strategic needs. They don't need Farkhor.
Irfan Baloch is right to the extent that this location fits into our long term energy security needs in the CAR but it is also suitably poised to meet the strategic needs of a key ally..
Afghanistan is not the raison d'être for Farkhor nor is Pakistan. Though, emerging situations will dictate the way the base is used in the future.
Regards.

India has NO offensive assets on Tajik soil at present. Only Russia has combat aircraft stationed. And miffed at the Indians for warming up to Americans, Russia has in fact leaned hard upon Emomali Rahmon to drag his feet regarding fully operationalizing the Indian part of the air base. However Indians do have a modest presence. It is not entirely clear as to how they plan to logistically replenish their war fighters; once they are granted permission.

In the interim, Zardari administration in Pakistan has been quietly cozying up to Emomali Rahmon. As I have said before, if Pakistan quickly develops the highway linking Dushambe to Gwadar/Karachi and starts joint training with Tajik forces as per agreement- Indian Tajik Dreamin' will remain just that.

Bottomline: If Paks are worried about Ayni, then they should bring the Ishkashim-Broghil stretch to its logical conclusion Or see the Indians move in their new neighborhood. But do not worry the Indians are just as lackadaisical as Paks. It is as if it is a race of the turtles on a hot summer day. There is a small window of opportunity do not waste it.

P.S. There is NO Indian base at Chah Bahar. Once again if Zardari does what he says about oil pipelines, there may be NO Indian access to Chah Bahar. And we have to wait and see how this bomb in Delhi strains the Iran-India-Israel ménage à trois.

I personally would like to see Indian foo fighters ( er I mean Frenchie Rafales) deploy to Central Asia just like the French Airforce. Oh! BTW there is one Rafale sitting in Pakistan waters where it crashed recently. Maybe time to dig it up!

India has NO offensive assets on Tajik soil at present. Only Russia has combat aircraft stationed. And miffed at the Indians for warming up to Americans, Russia has in fact leaned hard upon Emomali Rahmon to drag his feet regarding fully operationalizing the Indian part of the air base. However Indians do have a modest presence. It is not entirely clear as to how they plan to logistically replenish their war fighters; once they are granted permission.

In the interim, Zardari administration in Pakistan has been quietly cozying up to Emomali Rahmon. As I have said before, if Pakistan quickly develops the highway linking Dushambe to Gwadar/Karachi and starts joint training with Tajik forces as per agreement- Indian Tajik Dreamin' will remain just that.

Bottomline: If Paks are worried about Ayni, then they should bring the Ishkashim-Broghil stretch to its logical conclusion Or see the Indians move in their new neighborhood. But do not worry the Indians are just as lackadaisical as Paks. It is as if it is a race of the turtles on a hot summer day. There is a small window of opportunity do not waste it.

P.S. There is NO Indian base at Chah Bahar. Once again if Zardari does what he says about oil pipelines, there may be NO Indian access to Chah Bahar. And we have to wait and see how this bomb in Delhi strains the Iran-India-Israel ménage à trois.

I personally would like to see Indian foo fighters ( er I mean Frenchie Rafales) deploy to Central Asia just like the French Airforce. Oh! BTW there is one Rafale sitting in Pakistan waters where it crashed recently. Maybe time to dig it up!

balanced approach. less paranoia and more thought is the way to go.

Hear this out-
If Tajik base is used by indians to strike on Pakistani soil- that will mean direct involvement to Tajikistan in war against Pakistan-
That would really be a bad news for tajikistan-
and i know tajiks cannot be that stupid-
We dont even fear a nuclear retaliation from her- even if we decide to use ours on them-

Talk about Sabre rattling , why do you always talk about exploding a nuclear bomb on any country as the first option , dont you have confidence on your conventional weapons ???

Dont feel insecure , Tajikistan cant do any damage to you !

please your making me laugh at your arrogance we'll just have the Russians arm twist the Tajikis if they got a problem but your probably ignorant as well India and Tajkistan have good relations we have trained many Tajik army officers at our military institutions and from what it looks like right now in Farkohr they're not saying diddly squat anyway so no need for Russians to pressure since we already have helicopters and Mig-29 in fact whatever AK Antony managed to do on his last visit to the country in december we may build another AFS near the Afghan border.

And about empires and wannabes , There's a rumor around that IAF is in the process of getting more bases in Afghanistan and Indochina.
I know I'm asking for much. But any sources for these rumours?

please your making me laugh at your arrogance we'll just have the Russians arm twist the Tajikis if they got a problem but your probably ignorant as well India and Tajkistan have good relations we have trained many Tajik army officers at our military institutions and from what it looks like right now in Farkohr they're not saying diddly squat anyway so no need for Russians to pressure since we already have helicopters and Mig-29 in fact whatever AK Antony managed to do on his last visit to the country in december we may build another AFS near the Afghan border.

Glad I could make you laugh my friend.

When you get the Russians to arm twist the Tajiks (Not Tajiki as in Kabuki) make sure you have them twist their own arms as well. I hear Russians are discussing modest arms deals with Pakistan in the near future. Please pay close attention to Russians when they visit Islamabad in very near future. Have you heard about the Quadrilateral moot at Sochi & Dushambe?

And you do not have Mig 29 stationed at Ayni yet. Confirm with your Airforce. All its Mig assets are accounted for and home-based. Last time you requested permission to over fly Iran with your Flankers; it was denied. Put two and two together.

When you get the Russians to arm twist the Tajiks (Not Tajiki as in Kabuki) make sure you have them twist their own arms as well. I hear Russians are discussing modest arms deals with Pakistan in the near future. Please pay close attention to Russians when they visit Islamabad in very near future. Have you heard about the Quadrilateral moot at Sochi & Dushambe?

And you do not have Mig 29 stationed at Ayni yet. Confirm with your Airforce. All its Mig assets are accounted for and home-based. Last time you requested permission to over fly Iran with your Flankers; it was denied. Put two and two together.

You could be right, so what's the paranoia about? and this thread is as fake and false as it gets. So people here can sleep in peace. :D

Russia our long time strategic ally weapons giving weapons to Pakistan? :rofl: take your prozac buddy your typing up a lot of BS

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

Pakistani members are unnecessary creating hue and cry for Tajik airbase. First of all there is no Mig 29s there. The activity at air base is very low after defeat of Taliban in Kabul. It was opened in response to Kandahar episode not to support BLA from their. Regarding BLa, we are managing the show even before we have this base. And yes it is not sole base for providing logistics, even Chabhar in Iran is for same purpose. All of them, Russia , Iran and the US knows abt these activities. NATO have presence in Takikstan and Uzbekistan from Collin Powell era . And last but not the least, Ur skardu base can do damn to these bases.

read the posts from other members and check out the links in the opening thread before denying the presence of combat aircraft in the foreign airbases.

the subject matter is not about justifying the bases on the moral grounds but to get an overall view on what is meant to be achieved from such endeavor which is clearly very ambitious and seems to follow the classic example of How Empires spread their influence.

This base is just not one base but its significance to change in indian foreign policy....now we are thinking out maintaining airbases and possibly entire army base in foreign country. This type of strategic changes are made in period of years and this airbase is one of the earliest attempts. It also sends a strong message to neighboring countries about the offensive nature of the armed forces and putting them always on alert on a front which wasn't the worry in the past. This airbase is breathing down the neck of Pakistan and China, even if its a small base of at max 1 squadron, subsequent resources to counter it have to be used making other country to spread it resources and creating gaps.....

Andaman and Nicobar islands are consider as unsinkable aircraft carrier of india...similarly if india makes similar airbases in Seychelles or Maldives, or along SA or eastern Africa, the majority of arabian sea and bay of bengal will be covered without depending more on our aircraft carriers.

As Irfan said, its the spread of an empire, in our case a nation over achieving the title of Indian ocean as "India's" Ocean in south and installing our assets on northern end in CARs countries to diverge the attack of an aggressor from north.

read the posts from other members and check out the links in the opening thread before denying the presence of combat aircraft in the foreign airbases.

the subject matter is not about justifying the bases on the moral grounds but to get an overall view on what is meant to be achieved from such endeavor which is clearly very ambitious and seems to follow the classic example of How Empires spread their influence.

I will not say anything further on this matter. But I request you to try to extract something on this subject from your own contacts in Pak Army and Foreign office, if u have any. and try cross check this from Chinese also.

I have no intentions to deny thing. infect, it is great diplomatic Win for our country to have such assets in foreign lands.

I will not say anything further on this matter. But I request you to try to extract something on this subject from your own contacts in Pak Army and Foreign office, if u have any. and try cross check this from Chinese also.

I have no intentions to deny thing. infect, it is great diplomatic Win for our country to have such assets in foreign lands.

Indeed I have already but forgive me if I cant provide you with a "link" about what PAF briefings are on this matter ;)
the airbase itself and the presence of IAF is well established from countless pictures and news items.

for China and Pakistan this base presents a possible/ potential threat regardless of the fact how small or bit it is.
whether its active or dormant, whether its just a surveillance setup or actually aspired to spearhead possible attacks on Pakistan from the Western side is all down to personal opinion and assumptions.

but since the news of the IAF combat planes came out our Sakardu base has also got the visits and possible permanent stay of the F-16s. which means PAF is not dismissing the significance of that base.

the discussion will most probably move to what combat planes PAF can field there. we know F-16s are there now and so will be JF-17s which are replacing our legacy aircraft's that used to be stationed at Sakardu.

1207314.jpg

whatever the real purpose of the Farkhor Airbase. PAF is not taking any chances. I cant speak for the Chinese on how they see it. maybe someone from their side can comment on it.

While I agree with sandy's assessment, but for the sake of argument, why would it be a bad news for Tajikistan? Are you planning to nuke them as well if they allow that :lol: ?

just take the statement on its face value.
collision with an aggressor carries its own risks so Tajikistan has to make its risk assessment.
consider China giving a base to PAF and then that base being used to launch attacks from the North in case of any conflict.

would you give the similiar vote of innocence to China like you have passed on to Tajikistan?

Back
Top Bottom