What's new

IAF and Navy to Purchase more Dornier Aircraft : AK Antony

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
dornier_iaf_aircraft.jpg

There is a proposal to procure 14 Dornier Aircraft from M/s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the purpose of training pilots of the Indian Air Force (IAF). Additionally, there is also a proposal to procure two more Dornier Aircraft, modified to calibrate navigational aids at IAF airfields from M/s HAL. Besides, Indian Navy has a plan to purchase 12 Dornier Aircraft from M/s HAL.

Since Dornier Aircraft’s are being manufactured indigenously by M/s HAL, these have not been purchased from any other country during past five years.

Dornier Transport aircraft are already being manufactured indigenously by M/s HAL since 1983-84.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri PR Natarajan in Lok Sabha today.

IAF and Navy to Purchase more Dornier Aircraft : AK Antony | idrw.org

for what purpose our navy is going to procure further. for transport or short range maritime patrol.

TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY THESE CORRUPT MINISTERS DAM THEM
Completly untrue. How are they a waste of money? For what they are and how much they cost they are excellent.

for what purpose our navy is going to procure further. for transport or short range maritime patrol.
Utility roles most likely and maybe some training like for IAF and maybe 1 or 2 fitted with an EO/FLIR pod and a maritime surveillance radar for speclised MPA roles.

A few might be used to support SOF missions also- AFAIK the IN had announced they were to use a few Dorniers as dedicated SOF support a/c.

Most likely delayed, that's why this additional propurement of new Do 228 is necessary.

We should give the Mahindra-GippsAerospace, GA18 a chance. It is pretty close to Do 228 in stats. A sizable order might help them move production from australia or setup a new plant in India and maybe move some design work too. We are not helping ourselves by license building the same Dorniers over and over again with no scope for improvement.
Aircraft Engine & Parts by Aircraft Manufacturer - Mahindra
GAF Nomad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We should give the Mahindra-GippsAerospace, GA18 a chance. It is pretty close to Do 228 in stats. A sizable order might help them move production from australia or setup a new plant in India and maybe move some design work too. We are not helping ourselves by license building the same Dorniers over and over again with no scope for improvement.
Aircraft Engine & Parts by Aircraft Manufacturer - Mahindra
GAF Nomad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mahindra Gips has a long way to go before to be called Indian. As far as I know, they don't have any facilities in India,so ordering their aircraft,does nothing but give Mahindra some money. Also we will have disadvantage of operating a dissimiliar platform. Also Dorniers are 100% Indian now.

Mahindra Gips has a long way to go before to be called Indian. As far as I know, they don't have any facilities in India,so ordering their aircraft,does nothing but give Mahindra some money. Also we will have disadvantage of operating a dissimiliar platform. Also Dorniers are 100% Indian now.

Dorniers are license built. We can't improve them. Period. It is a dead end. But if we buy the mahindra aircraft, there is a good chance more Indians get a chance at design. They have already partnered with NAL to develop the C-NM5. Mahindra-NAL C-NM5 conducts first flight If the orders are substantial they might create a newer version for Indian requirements and hence they can justify spending money on new development work.
I agree that, Indians gaining design expertise might or might not happen. But, with Dornier's case there is not even a chance. I would like to see an Indian Lockheed martin or Boeing, and this might be the beginning. I am not asking to place all eggs in one basket, we can atleast give them a chance with a few initial orders. We are trying to produce LCA Tejas for a reason, instead of just producing Mig-21s forever. Although Tejas is almost similar in capabilities to Mig 21(you may not agree) initially, subsequent versions will be better and we have control over the design and we gain experience. My two cents.

Dorniers are license built. We can't improve them. Period. It is a dead end. But if we buy the mahindra aircraft, there is a good chance more Indians get a chance at design. They have already partnered with NAL to develop the C-NM5. Mahindra-NAL C-NM5 conducts first flight If the orders are substantial they might create a newer version for Indian requirements and hence they can justify spending money on new development work.
I agree that, Indians gaining design expertise might or might not happen. But, with Dornier's case there is not even a chance. I would like to see an Indian Lockheed martin or Boeing, and this might be the beginning. I am not asking to place all eggs in one basket, we can atleast give them a chance with a few initial orders. We are trying to produce LCA Tejas for a reason, instead of just producing Mig-21s forever. Although Tejas is almost similar in capabilities to Mig 21(you may not agree) initially, subsequent versions will be better and we have control over the design and we gain experience. My two cents.

Its your misunderstanding that India can't further explore aircraft making through license producing.
Dorniers are now like Hal Chetak or Cheetah. We have been making entirely in India and has sold them to other countries. We have been exporting its spares too. Like hal chetan or cheetal, we can develop improved versions in future IF we need'em

Is it possible to fit the SuperVision SV-2000 and ExtraVision XV-2004 SAR/ISAR radars on Dornier?
Or better still, do they already have them?

Both radars are developed by LRDE.

I think we should put these radars, some other surveillance equipment to convert Saras into a maritime
patrol aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom