fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I want my country back

Friday, April 17, 2009

Sehar Tariq

Eight years ago I boarded a plane to the United States to come to college. I was 17. As I left, my father hugged me and told me to never come back because he believed that soon Pakistan would not be a country fit for me to live in. I told him he was trying to save money by not having to buy me tickets to come home. We laughed it off. I hugged him goodbye and that day my father and I began our great debate about the fate of Pakistan . Abba told me to stay away. I defied him every time. I came home twice a year. I only flew PIA. I refused to do an internship in the US I worked every summer in Pakistan . I moved back when college ended. I started work in Pakistan . I worked two jobs because there was so much to do and not enough time to do it in. I was inspired and energised. I was hopeful and optimistic.

Today I am neither. And I have lost the debate with my father about the fate of Pakistan . The Parliament by endorsing the Nizam-e-Adl Regulation (NAR) has heralded the end of Pakistan as I knew and loved it. Today, the elected representatives of the people turned Pakistan into Talibanistan. Today we handed over a part of the country to them. I wonder how much longer before we surrender it all.

Today we legislated that a group of criminals would be in charge of governing and dispensing justice in a part of Pakistan according to their own obscurantist views. They have declared that the rulings of their courts will be supreme and no other court in the land can challenge them. They have also declared that their men that killed and maimed innocent civilians, waged war against the Pakistani army and blew up girls schools will be exempt from punishment under this law. A law that does not apply equally to all men and women is not worthy of being called a law. Hence today we legislated lawlessness.

What was most disturbing was the quiescence of the Parliament to this legislation. The utter lack of debate and questioning of this ridiculous legislation was appalling. The decision was not informed by any independent research or expert testimony, and to my knowledge none of the parliamentarians are authorities on matters of security, rule of law or regional conditions in Swat. This signals disturbing possibilities. Either our politicians are too afraid to stand up to criminals or maybe they don't possess the foresight to gauge the national impact of this action. There is no hope for a country led by cowards or fools.

How can one be hopeful about the political future of a country where the will and the wisdom of politicians becomes hostage to the threats of barbarians? How can I be optimistic about a country where doyens of the media like Ansar Abbasi hear the collective silence of the parliamentarians as the resounding support of the people of Pakistan , but are deaf to the threats issued by the Taliban to anyone opposing the legislation? How can I feel secure in a country where the army, despite receiving the largest chunk of our resources, cannot defeat a bunch of thugs? How can I expect justice when there are different laws for different citizens, and I as a woman am a second class citizen? How can I be inspired by a country where there is no culture, no music, no art, no poetry and no innovative thought?

How can I be expected to return to a country where women are beaten and flogged publicly, where my daughters will not be allowed to go to school, where my sisters will die of common diseases because male doctors cannot see them? How can I be expected to call that country home that denies me the rights given me by my Constitution and religion? I refuse to live in a country where women like me are forced to rot behind the four walls of their homes and not allowed to use their education to benefit the nation. By endorsing the NAR and giving in to the Taliban, Parliament has sapped my hope and optimism. Parliament has dealt a deathly blow to the aspirations of the millions of young Pakistanis who struggle within and outside the country, fuelled by sheer patriotism, for a peaceful, prosperous and progressive Pakistan .

When there is no hope, no optimism, no security, no justice, no education, no progress, no culture � there is no Pakistan . Maybe it is because I am the grandchild of immigrants who was raised on stories of hope, patriotism and sacrifice that even in this misery I cannot forget that Pakistan was created to protect the lives, property, culture and future of the Muslims of the Subcontinent. It was not established to be a safe haven for terrorists. We fought so that we could protect the culture of the Muslims of the Subcontinent, not so that we could import the culture of Saudi Arabia . Our ancestors laid down their lives so that the Muslims of the Subcontinent � both men and women - could live in a land free of prejudice, not so that they could be subjected to violent discrimination of the basis of sect and gender.

Maybe it's because I'm competitive and I don't want to lose the debate to my father, maybe I am afraid to lose the only home I have, or maybe because I love Pakistan too much to ever say goodbye � I hope we can remember the reasons why we made Pakistan, and I hope we can stand up to fight for them. I hope we can revive the spirit of national unity of 1947 and lock arms to battle the monster of the Taliban that threatens our existence. Talibanistan is an insult to my Pakistan . I want my country back. Pakistan Paaindabad!

The writer is pursuing a master's at Princeton University . Earlier, she attended Yale University . Email: stariq @princeton.edu

ladies and gentlemen, the writing's is on the wall!:enjoy:

Last edited:
Well the next huge wave of refugees will be from Pakistan and flood the Gulf States and the western countries.
The expats that you have overseas studying and/or working will not come home.
The brain drain will start and you beloved country will step back in time to something you have no grasp of.

The strange thing is if all this had happened say in the 1950’s- 70’s there may have been a good chance that the government of Pakistan, civil or military would have sent in the PA and crushed the whole thing.
Now it is a case of all being politically correct and having little tea chats that amount to Sweet F All.

At present you have a government that can do little but pretend it cares and is too busy looking for some self interest and has at least one or more digits up backside.

Many here think the Taliban are all ok well at least the so called Pakistan Taliban. Hog wash!
They are eventually all tarred with the same brush. They all deep down have the same intent, control Pakistan.

To all, you may rave and rant on these forums about how these militants should be got rid of, BUT doing that here is useless.
You have to do it where it counts you need to get things going outside of this place.

I am not looking forward to the wake for Pakistan and the aftermath.
:frown:

"I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French."

Charles de Gaulle.

Quite true for us, as well.

you may not get out of the mud, but you don't have to get in to the quick sand do you.

We need a strong leader in Pakistan. Unfortunately the rigged elections and the support of Western and Middle Eastern powers would keep traitors of the nation at the helm.

Just a few years back the name Asif Ali Zardari was synonymous with the word thief. For all we know he got paid a few bucks to make this deal.

I have a question for you all.... who here is a PATHAN....??? because i will tell you NIZAM-E-ADAL is not bad i hail from a village near KOHAT.... and all those who think or believe that Taliban will capture even KOHAT are strongly mistaken...forget peshawar.....who do you see crying about the nizam-e-adal people who are oblivious of how the pathans live how they think and what nizam-e-adal means.....i haven't seen any PATHAN seem to cry foul about it....any pathan living in NWFP....even the supposed to be SECULAR POLITICAL PARTY ANP seems to be ok....

i hope you all see my point of view on the whole issue...and last but not the least india,US,UK,NATO are crying about NIZAM-E-ADAL....saudis chinese aren't....NOW I THINK THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL....

We need a strong leader in Pakistan. Unfortunately the rigged elections and the support of Western and Middle Eastern powers would keep traitors of the nation at the helm.

Just a few years back the name Asif Ali Zardari was synonymous with the word thief. For all we know he got paid a few bucks to make this deal.

Yes, you do need a strong leader, unbiased leader and some time to recover. Such a person is not easy to find in the current situation wherein accusations and counter accusations are flying left right and center, and its not easy who to trust and who not to.

You should also improve financially/economically. Then only you will see a reduction of threats and blackmails on your country.

Pakistan should also talk to her trusted friends like China and take their guidance on how to stabilize the governance. Not sure if the current political leadership has this (stable governance) as its first priority or not.

I have a question for you all.... who here is a PATHAN....??? because i will tell you NIZAM-E-ADAL is not bad i hail from a village near KOHAT.... and all those who think or believe that Taliban will capture even KOHAT are strongly mistaken...forget peshawar.....who do you see crying about the nizam-e-adal people who are oblivious of how the pathans live how they think and what nizam-e-adal means.....i haven't seen any PATHAN seem to cry foul about it....any pathan living in NWFP....even the supposed to be SECULAR POLITICAL PARTY ANP seems to be ok....

i hope you all see my point of view on the whole issue...and last but not the least india,US,UK,NATO are crying about NIZAM-E-ADAL....saudis chinese aren't....NOW I THINK THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL....

Zob,

NIZAM-E-ADAL may or may not be a good thing, that is different debate,we can even debate on it's usefullness in today's world, but the manner in which it has been implemented, is causing misgivings to people all over the world, not just in Pakistan.

If the Govt. of the day surrenders in such a abject manner, to a bunch of thugs, and the so called opinion makers try to justify it, that my friend is the problem.

How to implement religious laws and practices is best left to a country and it's citizens, but surrendering to the Taliban whose ambitions do not end at the Pakistan Border is cause of concern for everybody.

The main issue in my opinon is PEACE...how long do we keep going on fighting we have been at it since 2001....what is our objective when do we stop what are the goals of the so called WAR ON TERROR.....it is easy for america to sit 1000 of miles away and dictate but peace is what we want for an ordinary maerican they are at peace they don't know the value of it!!

spoil the taliban game plan take away the popular support by giving the people of the area the things they want remove their greveinces....they wanted qazi courts we gave it to them....now if TALIBAN don't adhere to the so called peace accord well then even the people who saw TALIBAN as caring friends will cease to think so.

I love it how we all agree that we need a strong leader and then we will get up eat food prepared by someone lie down and watch TV and go raving on and on about how terrible things are we may soon need a refined effort and we may need it together and it has to start now and it has to be from the people who have completed their education like this woman several Pakistanis have tried and failed because they are not working in Unison they are not working for a better Pakistan together. We better stop looking around for that oh so awesome leader and start looking at ourselves to bring change and if we can't stand up to the problem we are in all fairness never going to find the solution.

Well most of us are not surprised as what we are seeing today is the result of years of wrong policies followed by dictators and governments in Pakistan. The idea of Jihad and allowing your citizens to become foot soldiers for a cause has led to this today.The elite send their children to good schools and outside the country for higher education where as the common man was denied bare necessities of life.

No country can focus on one country be enemy or friend that is what you have done all this years. You must have an independent foreign policy keeping interest of the state in mind. You want to finish all your enemies and kiss your friends to death moderation are never the case. Spend beyond your means to create an army which today can't control most of its own area. The powers are in few hands and still army has a major say in all matters of the state. How on earth you expect things to be different. Most of you clapped and supported all this policies when they were being shaped now no point crying over spilt milk.

Well most of us are not surprised as what we are seeing today is the result of years of wrong policies followed by dictators and governments in Pakistan. The idea of Jihad and allowing your citizens to become foot soldiers for a cause has led to this today.The elite send their children to good schools and outside the country for higher education where as the common man was denied bare necessities of life.

No country can focus on one country be enemy or friend that is what you have done all this years. You must have an independent foreign policy keeping interest of the state in mind. You want to finish all your enemies and kiss your friends to death moderation are never the case. Spend beyond your means to create an army which today can't control most of its own area. The powers are in few hands and still army has a major say in all matters of the state. How on earth you expect things to be different. Most of you clapped and supported all this policies when they were being shaped now no point crying over spilt milk.

And yet still many Pakistanis fear that India is still the larger enemy the reason why we feel we have friends is because we also feel that we have enemies as well the day the hate relation with India comes to an end we will hopefully be much better off and I think this will be better for the region and its peace against this enemy.

fatman you do realize where this mess strated all from and where it has now led to!

the day the hate relation with India comes to an end we will hopefully be much better off and I think this will be better for the region and its peace against this enemy.

Bane blade, I adore you for these comments. I also acknowledge the resposibility that we Indians also have in ending this hate relation.

And yet still many Pakistanis fear that India is still the larger enemy the reason why we feel we have friends is because we also feel that we have enemies as well the day the hate relation with India comes to an end we will hopefully be much better off and I think this will be better for the region and its peace against this enemy.

You are right.....
But, I guess the hate is not because of religion any more.

Back
Top Bottom