What's new

I can answer questions about China and help you understand our country

Excellent Thread

My Question 1
With rise of China, its obvious that West will attack china directly and indirectly. Is there a debate internally in China about the need of global military/naval bases to protect Chinese and Chinese allies' interests?

As an example of the recent attack on Chinese engineers in Pakistan by Indian RAW and Afghan NDS,why doesn't China believe (or portray publicly) in militarily threatening its enemies? How long do you think you can have a peaceful rise before West "physically" blocking you? When will your hawks dominate your doves, if ever?

Q.2.
Soft power is very important, India's bollywood has an impact across the globe despite being much poor. Why is China not focused or deems unnecessary the need of a robust cinema and TV(news and entertainment) which can propagate Chinese softer image across the globe? I know China is doing it on small scale but its not proportionate to Chinese global position.

Regards

Of course, we will fight for our allies.
We participated in the Korean War at the request of the DPRK. We beat the Americans.
We participated in the first Indochina war at the request of the Vietnam. We beat the French.

DPRK humiliates the USA again and again. What do you think the USA will do if China will not protect its allies?
During the Vietnam War, the USA refused to cross 17 degrees north latitude. Do you know the reason?

About foreign military bases, the Chinese have disputes over foreign military bases, and many people think it is a symbol of imperialism. I think China has no plan to significantly increase foreign military bases now.

Why do you want Chinese hawks to come to power? A country like China does not participate in the war, that is the greatest contribution to the world. China is very stable at home, and there is no need to shift the problem by waging war abroad.
Each company of the Chinese army has a CCP branch, and the CCP has absolute control over the army.
I don't know whether the Chinese hawks can be in power, because I don't know who the Hawks are. But I'm sure there can be no military government in China.

Yes, we ignored soft power before. Now the Chinese have gradually realized the importance of soft power. Please give us some time.

Last edited:
@MH.Yang it would be interesting if an actual Chinese person could taste what is called 'Chinese food' in Pakistan and give their opinion. I have interviewed lots of Chinese friends but have been unable to provide them a sample they could taste.

Also, if a Chinese member could start a thread where they start teaching the very basics of Chinese - simple hieroglyphs, how to pronounce them, what they mean, simple sentences, that would be great!
I have eaten “Chinese food” cooked by Americans. To be honest, KFC sells hamburgers closer to Chinese food than it. If there are other options, I won't try it again.
If I have the chance, I will travel to Pakistan in the future, because I heard that Pakistanis are very friendly to Chinese people. Maybe I'll try Chinese food made by Pakistanis, I hope to get a surprise.
I'm sorry, I'm not a teacher. Teaching Chinese is beyond my ability. But I am willing to answer your questions about Chinese.

Last edited:
I have eaten “Chinese food” cooked by Americans. To be honest, KFC sells hamburgers closer to Chinese food than it. If there are other options, I won't try it again.

Of course there is going to be a difference. Asians tend to like bitterness over sweet so restaurants have to adjust the taste for the local population otherwise they'd go out of business.

There's even differences in taste for the same products sold in the EU vs the US...like Nutella.

There's taste tests showing people don't like Italian pizza..how screwball is that.

Last edited:
answer is simple...just like Pakistanis become more patriotic and defensive about Pakistan when living in the west...the reason is that they along with the Chinese expatriates experience the sheer hatred, racism and ugliness of the western civilization has for basically anything and anytime NOT anglo-saxon...hence we wake up to the harsh reality and become more defensive & patriotic towards our respective home countries out of our thankfulness that we have a home country to be free in.
That is a very narrow angle. What you have said is true but not the whole story and it mostly centers around conflicts. People don't spend most of their time in conflicts. That would drive them crazy or depressed very quickly. The bigger reason is the reality, which is that the western civilization is NOT as good as they originally imagined. That shatters their illusion and makes them to appreciate what they had before in their home country.

@MH.Yang it would be interesting if an actual Chinese person could taste what is called 'Chinese food' in Pakistan and give their opinion. I have interviewed lots of Chinese friends but have been unable to provide them a sample they could taste.

Also, if a Chinese member could start a thread where they start teaching the very basics of Chinese - simple hieroglyphs, how to pronounce them, what they mean, simple sentences, that would be great!

From what i've read online and seen in some travel vlogs, Pakistani version of Chinese food is a bit masala-fied. I'm sure there are some more authentic places too. Thats certainly the case in the UK.
What redtom said is incorrect. People with faith can join the Communist Party. For example, Uighurs have 1.1 million Communists and Hui have 1.4 million Communists. They are all Muslims. However, it is forbidden for Communists to organize religious activities and publicize religion. They can only participate in activities as ordinary believers.
Communists: it is forbidden to do business, accept gifts and entertain with public funds.

Except that the 7 most senior officials must be Communists, all other officials can be people of other parties and non parties. At least one vice chairman of the NPC Standing Committee is a Muslim.

If you want to go into politics, you don't have to be a communist. If you become a Chinese communist, it doesn't mean you will have preferential treatment, even it means sacrifice. In the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake, the army needed 15 paratroopers to parachute under the conditions of night, rainstorm and lightning to restore contact with the disaster area. Theoretically, parachuting under this condition had a mortality rate of 30%, and Fifteen Chinese Communist volunteered to take part in the operation; In 2020, 42000 doctors volunteered to go to Wuhan for treatment of COVID19, of which 83% were Chinese Communists; In August 2021, City wide nucleic acid detection was carried out in Zhuzhou, Hunan Province (my hometown). All Chinese Communist Party members were required to wear protective clothing and help medical personnel free of charge.

Xi Jinping is the highest ranking official, but his status is equal to the other six. The Communist Party of China adopts a democratic centralized system. If major issues such as personnel and resource allocation are involved, the Party committee at the same level must vote. Xi Jinping and the other six members of the supreme Party committee have only one vote.
Of course, this is only a theoretical situation. After all, I'm not one of the top7, and I don't know the truth.

Makes sense. In our country I believe the PM and the President have to be Muslim.

Excellent Thread

My Question 1
With rise of China, its obvious that West will attack china directly and indirectly. Is there a debate internally in China about the need of global military/naval bases to protect Chinese and Chinese allies' interests?

As an example of the recent attack on Chinese engineers in Pakistan by Indian RAW and Afghan NDS,why doesn't China believe (or portray publicly) in militarily threatening its enemies? How long do you think you can have a peaceful rise before West "physically" blocking you? When will your hawks dominate your doves, if ever?

Q.2.
Soft power is very important, India's bollywood has an impact across the globe despite being much poor. Why is China not focused or deems unnecessary the need of a robust cinema and TV(news and entertainment) which can propagate Chinese softer image across the globe? I know China is doing it on small scale but its not proportionate to Chinese global position.

Regards
It has been decided. China will deploy real combat troops overseas. China has revised its national Defense Law. It lowers the threshold of war and increases the protection of overseas interests. Last year China's 076 required adaptation to tropical forests and deserts. Its obvious targets are Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.

China has made threats, but China's threats are for Indian govt, not media. China is aggressively building infrastructure along the border and deploying heavy equipment near the border. XI made a special trip to Nyingchi (You can Google the city) . This is a real threat.

Real soft power is people's lives. Although China's economy is developing very well, China is still a country with a per capita GDP of around 10,000 US dollars. Ordinary people don't envy a $10,000 place. But in 20 years, China's standard of living will surpass that of Western Europe. People will automatically beautify everything in China. Chinese system, Chinese culture, Chinese language, even Chinese color, race. People like America not because of its democracy, but because of its wealth.

We in China are starting to lose interest in American Hollywood and Japanese anime. Chinese people now prefer Chinese native movies, animations, music, stars. And that was only in the last two or three years.

It just takes time .

Just to remind you that there are many different ethnic groups living in China.

Exactly - there is no such thing, as "Chinese food" or "Chinese people". Many, many ethnicities.
By the way, I'd like to draw people's attention to video lectures and seminars with Kishore Mahbubani, who was the dean at the Lee Kuan Yew School of public affairs in S'pore. The guy is brilliant. Go see his videos on the new world order and the subject of this thread "understanding China". It all makes sense and is interesting to boot.

OK, so which ethnic group lives in Guangzhou? I couldn't find butter anywhere in the city?
Han Chinese dominates the demographic of China in most provinces, including Guangdong, where Guangzhou is. Not being able to find butter is normal since diary isn't a part of traditional diet among Han Chinese. Stores that foreigners more likely patronize are probably a better bet to find butter.

Han Chinese dominates the demographic of China in most provinces, including Guangdong, where Guangzhou is. Not being able to find butter is normal since diary isn't a part of traditional diet among Han Chinese. Stores that foreigners more likely patronize are probably a better bet to find butter.
So....help me out here.
Han Chinese eat everything except dairy?
I been to Guangzou meat Market and it looked like a zoo.
Someone told me that this idea of eating everything was put forward by communist party, so that people can be fed.
But surprised dairy isn't part of diet.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom