What's new

I am the daughter of a man who served in PIA for 37 years

If it was a family owned buissness, how long it would have taken to fire all the incompetent staff once it started making a loss??

Considering health budjet og kpk this year is 25 billion, and we keep pouring 400 billions to keep these smugglers in job so they can curse us during flights....

By Saman Jafarey
I am the daughter of a man who served for 37 years in PIA.

All of my life, my father worked for the national airline and retired in 2010. Six years on, he is still passionate about the organisation. Many evenings, he is on the phone conversing with his former colleagues and friends about the inevitable doom of the airline and what could and should be done to rectify it.

My father does not fit any of the aforementioned generalised labels people have been very kind to pass. He worked hard for a living and he was loyal to the organisation. It is from my father that I learnt to work honestly and with complete dedication to any job I take. My father is an earnest man and he instilled the same values in my sisters and me. I am nowhere close to where I want to be in my career but my biggest strength is that I have never disappointed an employer.

So before you judge all employees by the same scale, let me ask you a question: How many of you are aware that every time the government changes, be it PML-N or PPP, the top management of PIA does too?

1) I wish I could debate with her directly. This privatization isn't about her dad if he was a hard working man. Although I do sort of question how she was able to afford two degrees in the UK, if she was a Pakistani as you couldn't get a student loan in the UK if you were a foreigner, so you are paying hefty Pound Sterling and for a law degree from a reputable schools....probably 100K plus pounds. And she has two degrees!!

2) After my judgement above, she needs to realize, its not about her dad or one person. Its about 10-15K additional employees and contractors who aren't needed. But no one knows how to get rid of them as they were politically brought in. This is a Vitamin S (Screw) shot to the country's tax payer's every morning till the sun goes down and in dozens of millions every day, 7 days a week. Which one of us would want to invest into a business that loses money every day in millions, 7 days a week? None of us would!!

3) Her point about management changes per the government change. That is one of the many reasons WHY you privatize an institution like this. Once a board is established, those guys will have their money and people's money (stocks) poured into the airline. Meaning, their jobs will be on the line if they didn't produce profit. So that's the easiest way to get rid of all evil and be profitable, without caring for who is sitting inside the government!!

4) Once the company receives significant amounts of trading funds (IPO), the airline can modernize herself and buy new planes, also invest in other things to generate revenue and have savings. This will also pave the way for educated citizens who have great qualifications to run this business. And more educated Pakistanis will be employed vs. incompetent political workers. Plus, add accountability, the CEO and his team don't produce.....they get to go. Their board won't listen till profits are produced as everyone's bonuses will be tied to growing the organization into profits.

Americans earned those services.

Every American pays some tax, either to local/State/Federal governments. Hopefully once Pakistanis start paying taxes these services can be provided to Pakistan. Pakistan collect their taxes in September? Care to share?

You can google the tax returns of every American politician or businessman wanting to become President. In America an elected official not paying taxes is political suicide. Perhaps Pakistan can have the similar culture?

Americans pay taxes to the Federal, State, City and Counties (if you own a house and live inside a City and County), then we pay Sales and other taxes. That's how people get quality schooling, infrastructure, bus systems, train systems and all. Its not free..... then people who have businesses, also pay a part of their employee's social security, benefits, taxes and health insurance, etc, so its a LOT of taxes. I think on my personal income, after all said and done, I pay about 50% taxes!!!! Sucks to write checks to Uncle Sam, but its the law of the land!!

I imagine, if I was living in Pakistan, with the amount of money I pay in Taxes alone, I think I might be able to enjoy a very good and fun lifestyle. But that's not right to not pay taxes. If you care for your country and want to see her grow and not have to take loans and have a bad, third world name out there, you, the people have to start paying your share of taxes so your country can grow and give you and your children better healthcare, schooling, infrastructure and jobs!!

Both employes and leaders are mass murderers of PIA

i said it again give one guy pia for 2 Years and gove him full authority and target this how it will work

But that guy never been politition

Her father may have been an honest man. I am sure there must have been thousands on honest, hardworking men and women in PIA. But as a taxpayer these honest people have done jackshit for me. Whatever are the reasons, PIA takes my tax money that is supposed to be spent on education, health or maybe roads.

Honestly I don't care if Nawaz Sharif sells it his family or even if he simply transfers it in his own name without paying a single paisa. I just don't want to see my tax money spent on PIA anymore. Its useless.

If I travel, I buy the ticket from my own pocket and I choose from at least 5 different options. So tell me, why should I support PIA? Just because it trained Emirates in the 70s? Seriously, why??

The issue is how would they justify....Because if they are fired then they can not work any where else and this stigma on their name has to be proven in the Court of Law. There is no Law concerning Redundancy like in UK for example.

One more thing is employees are permanent and are protected under the Constitution of Pakistan according to the date they were employed which makes it very difficult to make new laws to remove them from service. Law which works Retrospectively is illegal.

government from day one is saying two things.

1- its not going to be privatization
2- no body will loose their job.

why the strike??

government has every right to implement changes to make the entity profitable. why to strike??????

The thing is PIAC shares are trading in Pakistan Stock Exchange. Government has already traded 9 % shares where as now it wants to sell more than 20% and also give the purchasers the right to control the airline. The Law states control is to be with the person controlling majority shares, which according to Govt. of Pakistan controls. Now what kind of deal would be reached once the shares and control is given to the persons controlling the minority share.

There is no guaranty that has been shown by the Government of Pakistan regarding the points you have mentioned. If PIAC shares are sold in Pakistan Stock Exchange like all the other public entities then also the required number of money can be generated which could easily give enough cash to purchase more aircraft bringing it to be more lucrative and profitable.

Last edited:
government from day one is saying two things.

1- its not going to be privatization
2- no body will loose their job.

why the strike??

If the government has assured no jobs will be lost. There is NO reason to do any sit-ins or union strikes by employees. That's negative and third class anti-country politics at play, similar to what IK did through his sit-ins. I don't care about anyone in politics in Pakistan. But when a country is taking strides to progress and grow, after 60 years of darkness......you don't stop that from happening. That should be treason IMO, to harm your own country's progress through violence, sit-ins, union strikes without a reason.

At the end of the day, it is any government's job to ensure the country grows and the losses in the system stops and profits comes. And if that's not happening, the government isn't worth staying in power, they should resign as they become a part of the problem. Here, guarantees have been given to protect employees jobs, the government should be allowed to do her job so this institution can generate billions in profit, resulting in creating more employment, higher stock prices and a constant watch on operations through a private board and a CEO. That way, it shouldn't go into brutal loss mode again.

If the government has assured no jobs will be lost. There is NO reason to do any sit-ins or union strikes by employees. That's negative and third class anti-country politics at play, similar to what IK did through his sit-ins. I don't care about anyone in politics in Pakistan. But when a country is taking strides to progress and grow, after 60 years of darkness......you don't stop that from happening. That should be treason IMO, to harm your own country's progress through violence, sit-ins, union strikes without a reason.

At the end of the day, it is any government's job to ensure the country grows and the losses in the system stops and profits comes. And if that's not happening, the government isn't worth staying in power, they should resign as they become a part of the problem. Here, guarantees have been given to protect employees jobs, the government should be allowed to do her job so this institution can generate billions in profit, resulting in creating more employment, higher stock prices and a constant watch on operations through a private board and a CEO. That way, it shouldn't go into brutal loss mode again.
Sorry Viper the post you quoted was actually @Mrc 's to which I was replying. unfortunately it some how in my reply it became mine when I replied. My actual post #10 was being replied to by Mrc.

As far as what you have said is not entirely untrue, but the strike though it would have other aspects added was to know the status of the employees future. Here in Pakistan the people would not know what they would eat in the night but would know what the other is doing and going to do in the future.

In Pakistan some things are not as transparent as in USA here every thing the Government does is looked as being adverse and untrustworthy. You are well aware why this kind of situation arises commonly.

The other issue is Government is unable to create jobs and that causes much more resentment when the Government says it is going to take any kind of change to what is being currently done.

PIAC has assets that can be en-cashed however mismanagement and certain concrete feasibility report highlighting complete 5-7 yr. plan has to be made and implemented not just by the present Government but also by the future government that comes.

The trend is that when ever a new Government comes it changes the management all across the government owned business so that it can bulldoze what has been achieved previously.

Now this policy can only be implemented when some how operational control is not under the control of the government but under some private entity. Still this can be argued if it can be achieved by giving it trough a contract or trough act of parliament.

Turkish Airline
Fleet size: 300 plane
Employees: 19,000 professionals

PIA
Fleet size: 39 plane
Employees: 19,000 Gangsters

Bail out should not be given unless company fires , employees to reduce its size of employees

• In flight Air Crew should be 18-28 Years age group
  • Engineering should be 18-45 Years group
  • Pilots should be 18-45 Years group
  • Ground Team should be 18-45 Years group
------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Management 30-55 Years group

Reevaluation of Hiring :
  • People in 18-30 Years should be forced to complete 1 year Training , and technical course to pass specially English/Math/History , exams run by International Partners in Dubai, those failing exam Twice should be released (5,000 ppl would be removed)
  • People in age 30-45 age group should attend 3 month training customer service, with mandatory exam people who fail this more then 2 times should be released (3,000 workers would be removed)
  • People over 45 should be released (7,000 people would be retired)
Folks in 45-60 Age groups should be retired with package severance package as its the case with any lay off of senior age members. They will likely find work in Private sector

Remaining workforce = 4,000 , People fired or did not pass course 15,000

Age group 18-30 : 2,500 (Young workers)
Age group 30-45 : 1000 (Experienced force)
Age group 45-55 : 500 (Senior Management/Senior Engineering)

Contractors : 400 workers should be hired on contracting basis for employee vacations or for busy season

Ratio of 102 Employees per plane in PIA inventory

Last edited:
a typical emotional female writing..serves no practical substance..she may as well keep her useless emotions to herself..

You are dismissing her argument because she's a female and is getting "emotional". Well, I am dismissing your argument because you are a male and your testerone levels are too high at the moment for you to come up with a more coherent response to this article.

Wait, never mind. You never had a counter argument.:coffee:

Last edited:
Bail out should not be given unless company fires , employees to reduce its size of employees

• In flight Air Crew should be 18-28 Years age group
  • Engineering should be 18-45 Years group
  • Pilots should be 18-45 Years group
  • Ground Team should be 18-45 Years group
------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Management 30-55 Years group

Reevaluation of Hiring :
  • People in 18-30 Years should be forced to complete 1 year Training , and technical course to pass specially English/Math/History , exams run by International Partners in Dubai, those failing exam Twice should be released (5,000 ppl would be removed)
  • People in age 30-45 age group should attend 3 month training customer service, with mandatory exam people who fail this more then 2 times should be released (3,000 workers would be removed)
  • People over 45 should be released (7,000 people would be retired)
Folks in 45-60 Age groups should be retired with package severance package as its the case with any lay off of senior age members. They will likely find work in Private sector

Remaining workforce = 4,000 , People fired or did not pass course 15,000

Age group 18-30 : 2,500 (Young workers)
Age group 30-45 : 1000 (Experienced force)
Age group 45-55 : 500 (Senior Management/Senior Engineering)

Contractors : 400 workers should be hired on contracting basis for employee vacations or for busy season

Ratio of 102 Employees per plane in PIA inventory

Who will tell these things to PPP. The only qualification to hire in PIA is to be Jiyala.

Unfortunately that is why a new Independent Company is needed who needs to buy PIA and implement this process no company in world runs on Losses

Folks in 45-60 Age group , only deserve the Severance package, may be 1- 1.5 year salaries

But most other folks should attend training courses in UAE, which is run by International Organization for Education so there is less chance of political interference.

19,000 Employees is not gona fly

Has to be reduced to 4,000 workers

If Hiring and Management of workers was done in Islamabad (Central Hiring center) it would have been ideal as hiring would have been controlled by independent bodies based in Islamabad , outside the sphere of Provinces

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom