What's new

‘I am ready to help Pakistan boxers’ : Amir Khan

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
‘I am ready to help Pakistan boxers’

378700-KhanPHOTOAFP-1337013534-896-640x480.jpg

Despite being disappointed by the cancellation of his rematch against Lamont Peterson, Amir plans to improve the state of Pakistan boxing and prepare the local athletes boxers for the 2016 Olympics. PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: While Amir Khan is desperate to regain his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles, he is also concerned by the demise of the sport in Pakistan, the land of his ancestors, and wants to help the local boxers prepare for the 2016 Olympics.

The Bolton-based boxer expressed his disappointment as Pakistan failed to confirm even a single berth for the 2012 London Olympics, a similar tale to the 2008 Beijing Games.

“It’s very disappointing that nobody qualified for the mega event,” Amir told i. “We have great talent in Pakistan but I think we need to invest in improved facilities and coaching.

“Keeping that in mind, I’m available if Pakistan boxing needs any help. I offered my gym in Bolton to the Pakistan boxers ahead of their qualifiers too. This offer will always be open to them.”
‘Waseem can be a good professional’

Meanwhile, Amir hoped that Mohammad Waseem, currently Pakistan’s most accomplished boxer, will make his name in professional boxing.

The Quetta-based pugilist turned professional recently after being offered the chance by the AIBA Professional Boxing.

“He can be a good professional but he needs the right coach behind him. Amateur boxing is completely different from professional boxing. He has my support all the way.”

Amir, who had earlier planned to visit Pakistan after his rematch with Lamont Peterson, had to change his plans after the fight was cancelled with Peterson failing a drugs test.

“I will probably visit Pakistan after Ramazan now. The main thing will be to meet my fans because they very rarely get to see me as I am so far away.”

According to reports, the boxer had also planned to give tips to local boxers during his planned trip to Pakistan.

Disappointed after rematch cancelled

Meanwhile, Amir was utterly disappointed after his rematch with Peterson was cancelled.

“I was really upset and angry because I trained very hard for this fight. I wanted to knock him out this time but at the same time I feel that justice has been done. After everything that went on with the first fight, I knew something wasn’t right.”

Amir hoped that the authorities will hand him back his lost titles as a result.

“Hopefully, the commission will class that fight as a no contest and will return the belts. Otherwise the belts will be taken back from Peterson and I will fight for them in my next fight. He should be banned now. We can’t let anyone get away with this.”

Published in The Express Tribune, May 15th, 2012

‘I am ready to help Pakistan boxers’ – The Express Tribune

Boxing: Waseem jumps into the professional ring

368834-WaseemPHOTOEXPRESS-1335216137-227-640x480.jpg

Waseem, currently the country’s top boxer, has been offered the chance by the AIBA Professional Boxing. PHOTO: EXPRESS

KARACHI: Pakistan’s Mohammad Waseem is looking forward to an improved show in the ring after sealing his move into professional boxing before adding that in a few months, he will start fighting on the big stage.

Waseem, currently the country’s top boxer, has been offered the chance by the AIBA Professional Boxing (APB) and said that he will stick to bouts in the 52-kilogramme category.

“It’s an honour that I have been chosen by the APB and I’ll use this chance to the best of my abilities,” Waseem told The Express Tribune. “My game is bound to improve as I’ll get quality practice and training camps ahead of big fights.”

Waseem won the gold medal at the 2nd Shaheed Benazir Bhutto International Boxing Tournament in Islamabad and clinched third place at the Commonwealth Games in 2010. He also won a gold medal at the 2010 World Combat Games in China and bagged a silver medal at the 2010 Dhaka South Asian Games. The Pakistan boxer also has a bronze medal to his name at the 2011 President’s Cup, earning another third-place finish at the 2009 King’s Cup.

With a number of laurels to his name, Waseem is now all set for the challenges ahead and said that the financial assistance by the APB will also enable him to concentrate on his game. As the number of rounds increase from three, Waseem said that the longer duration of the bout can work to a boxer’s advantage.

“I will train hard to get myself fit for more rounds because it’s an exciting challenge. I’ll get more time in the ring to show my prowess, while more rounds mean that a boxer has time to make a comeback.”

While Waseem failed to qualify for this year’s London Olympics, falling at the final hurdle to a Mongolian boxer in the qualifiers, the boxer was looking to make amends for the failure.

“Losing in second rounds of big events hurt me a lot but I am looking to make up for the defeats.”

Meanwhile, Ali Bakhsh has been nominated by the Pakistan Boxing Federation (PBF) to coach Waseem who is looking to hire a foreign coach instead.

“There are good coaches available in Europe and Kazakhstan and I want to have one of them because they know modern techniques. Their guidance will take me to new heights.”

Published in The Express Tribune, April 24th, 2012

Boxing: Waseem jumps into the professional ring – The Express Tribune

Pakistan is proud of Amir Khan :pakistan:

Glad he is helping!

Even after being a British citizen. He has not forgotten his Pakistani roots and helps Pakistan in any way he can. He is a patriotic Pakistani.

Back
Top Bottom