What's new

I am out of the loop? Is India now officially called Bharat?

Well I took Spanish at school and always wondered why there were Indians in that part of the world , enquired with the teacher who taught me the meaning & history that the people who followed the actual tradition, religion and culture of the country . But there are very very few of them now .(Almost the entire American land has been converted to Christianity/Catholic by the Europeans.) So why are they called Indians I had asked. Was told this word comes from the Latin root "indegena" !!

Taino Indians

I guess there is a reason that person was a teacher at the school you studied at. indigena ( not indegena) is the Latin root for indigenous, not for India or Indian.

This is a promising sign in the quest for Akhand Bharat.

That’s not true, at all.

Why were the Latin American original inhabitants called “ Indians ?
State in USA is called Indiana meaning land of the Indians
Taino Indians the original inhabitants of the Caribbean, who all have been wiped out were also named Indians .

I guess there is a reason that person was a teacher at the school you studied at. indigena ( not indegena) is the Latin root for indigenous, not for India or Indian.

Read previous posts to comprehend the post you quote .

State of Indiana = land of the Indians
European word for indigenous natives of the land .
See Mexico , Latin America , Caribbean natives named Indians by the colonial powers .

Why were the Latin American original inhabitants called “ Indians ?
State in USA is called Indiana meaning land of the Indians
Taino Indians the original inhabitants of the Caribbean, who all have been wiped out were also named Indians .

Read previous posts to comprehend the post you quote .

State of Indiana = land of the Indians
European word for indigenous natives of the land .
See Mexico , Latin America , Caribbean natives named Indians by the colonial powers .

Please use google next time.

“The term Indianis an import from European languages, originating in North America in the 15th century. It is commonly understood that when Christopher Columbus set off west from Europe, he was attempting to land in India, on the Asian continent. Consequently, when Columbus landed in the Caribbean, he assumed it was “…Islands of India beyond the Ganges”. Hence, Columbus and the Portuguese colonists called the indigenous inhabitants “indeos” – the Portuguese for what we call in English “Indians.” It was the term that was to remain in use in western culture to the present.”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom