What's new

Huawei’s Honor Magic is its Most Unique Phone Ever

SherDil

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Following the release of the critically acclaimed Xiaomi Mi MIX, Huawei has revealed its own take on a unique concept phone.

It comes with a plethora of unique features which is why it seems like Huawei didn’t want to be left in the dust with Xiaomi’s Mi MIX.

huawei-honor-magic.jpg

The phone will be released in China only unfortunately. It will be priced at RMB 3,700 (Rs. 56,000) in China. No word on an international release for now.

Design and Display
The phone is curved everywhere, the screen, the back the top and the bottom edge. It looks like a giant pebble when looked at from afar.

It features a single home button at the bottom of the screen and does not have a back or task view button. The home button includes a fingerprint sensor that can be touched, double tapped or swiped to serve as the home, back and task view button respectively.

Included in the phone is WiseScreen, which allows the phone to recognize its owner and only turns the screen on when the owner picks it up. It is done by an infrared sensor in the camera and another sensor in the frame of the phone which recognizes your hand.

FaceCode Intelligent Recognition on the other hand allows only a select few people to view your screen. The screen shows the notifications and turns on the screen only when a familiar face (yours, your friends or family) looks at the screen.

The display employs a 5.1 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) AMOLED panel. Its on par with many other flagship phones released this year (Samsung Galaxy S7, Google Pixel and Pixel XL for example).

Internals and Memory
On the inside Huawei included an octa-core Kirin 950 processor clocked at 2.3 GHz. Huawei Honor Magic has 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage. It does not have a memory card slot.

This phone is dual SIM by default.

Huawei is also banking it on AI and it seems apparent with Huawei Magic Live included in this phone which sits alongside Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

It works like Google’s Assistant in the Pixel phones. It can give recommendations on restaurants or cinemas if you’re talking about a movie. It can ask you to turn the driving mode on by recognizing that you’re driving, turn on the flashlight automatically when you enter a dark room, etc.

Camera and Battery
Like most of the other Huawei flagship phones, this one also features a dual camera setup with both sensors being 12 MP. One sensor captures in black and white while the other captures colors as well. This allows it to capture more detail than ordinary cameras. A dual LED flash is included.

The front camera is an ordinary 8 MP shooter.

Huawei Honor Magic has a 2,900 mAh battery which is made of a special graphite molecular structure. It charges up to 40% in 10 minutes and 90% in 30 minutes.

The unique feature of their fast charging technology is that the phone does not heat up at all while charging. It is similar to Oppo’s VOOC fast charging tech which also prevents the phone from heating up while charging in blazing fast speeds.

Huawei Honor Magic Specifications
  • CPU: 4x 2.3 GHz Cortex-A72 & 4x 1.8 GHz Cortex A53
  • GPU: Mali-T880 MP4
  • Chipset: Hisilicon Kirin 950
  • Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G Dual Sim
  • Design: Fully curved body
    • WiseScreen
    • FaceCode Intelligent Recognition
    • Huawei Magic Live AI
    • Fingerprint scanner
    • Dual Cameras
  • Display: 5.1″ QHD (2560 x 1440) resolution AMOLED
  • Memory:
    • RAM: 4 GB
    • Internal: 64 GB
    • Card slot: No
  • Camera:
    • Primary: Dual 12 MP, f/2.2, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
    • Secondary: 8 MP, f/2.0
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot, Bluetooth V4.2, GPS
  • Battery: 2,900 mAh Li-ion non-removable with fast charging and USB type-C slot
  • Colours: Golden Black, Porcelain White
  • Price: RMB 3,700 (Rs. 56,000)
https://propakistani.pk/2016/12/16/huaweis-honor-magic-unique-phone-ever/

At 56,000 I will prefer an iOS device over any Android device. Quality of apps are world apart.

Yeah sure, ever released a single iOS or Android app? Google does no quality check while Apple is hard to please for releasing any app.

I use both devices and based on my and many other user's experience I can tell you that Android based apps are unique and at times also better. iOS initially had an advantage over Android, but that has changed over the past couple of years. If you know anything about mobile usage you would also know how much of a catch up Android devices have done. The confidence of the end user has grown massively in a stable and good Android product. Apple has seen its market share shrink on an exponential scale.

iOS and android os are both sucks. I like Linux os.

Android is Linux based. Try the various Android mods. They kick the a$$ of vendor OS.

I use both devices and based on my and many other user's experience I can tell you that Android based apps are unique and at times also better. iOS initially had an advantage over Android, but that has changed over the past couple of years. If you know anything about mobile usage you would also know how much of a catch up Android devices have done. The confidence of the end user has grown massively in a stable and good Android product.

Ahem. Android devices are produced by a large number of manufacturers which mean they exists in much larger number of price points. iOS devices are produced by just one manufacturer, which mean only the price point which Apple sees fit exist. That said since there are only few sets of iDevices, App developers do much better job at testing the quality of the App. This is further mandated by tighter controls Apple puts on the apps released on AppStore regarding UI/UX.

Android market is jam packed with amateurish and broken apps which are hard to use and a number of them crash on the device which you might own, while it may work on the device which developers have used for development.

It is PC vs Mac all over again. I use my smartphone not because I love 'using' the app but I have some usecases in my mind.

Meh.. Not impressed.

LOL at quality of apps are world apart. Android apps smoke iOS apps.
I converted from iOS to Android. While Android as an OS is great at doing tasks which i couldn't even imagine in iOS that easily but it still sucks big time in App catalog & IAP(inapp purchases) have ruined Playstore more than iOS.
OS> Android
Apps & Games> iOS

Ahem. Android devices are produced by a large number of manufacturers which mean they exists in much larger number of price points. iOS devices are produced by just one manufacturer, which mean only the price point which Apple sees fit exist. That said since there are only few sets of iDevices, App developers do much better job at testing the quality of the App. This is further mandated by tighter controls Apple puts on the apps released on AppStore regarding UI/UX.

Android market is jam packed with amateurish and broken apps which are hard to use and a number of them crash on the device which you might own, while it may work on the device which developers have used for development.

It is PC vs Mac all over again. I use my smartphone not because I love 'using' the app but I have some usecases in my mind.

Android is open source. iOS isn't. It is obvious that multiple vendors produce Android devices. Rubbish argument. You could have used the tighter control and regulation argument at Android's infancy. That is in today's world an invalid argument. Android and many of its apps are absolutely world class. In fact, so many advanced apps are exclusively available for Android platforms due to Android's inherently advanced underlying structure.

I'm not going to deny that due to Android's open source nature one might find unstable apps, but that is part of the concept. Android users are power users. iOS users are more likely average users. Power users like to fine tune and refine every aspect of their device including advanced features and settings. That naturally brings the risk of unstable features in apps. You don't have such a luxury in iOS apps. These are mostly confined. In the end, it all depends on your needs and requirements.

You cannot compare Android with PC. They are world's apart.

Meh.. Not impressed.

I converted from iOS to Android. While Android as an OS is great at doing tasks which i couldn't even imagine in iOS that easily but it still sucks big time in App catalog & IAP(inapp purchases) have ruined Playstore more than iOS.
OS> Android
Apps & Games> iOS

You are specifically talking about the Play Store. We are arguing about the quality of iOS vs Android apps.

It all comes down to taste and user experience. There are many factors which eventually decide which device and all of its attributes suite a specific user.

For the record, I'm not a fan boy of one or the other. I appreciate all good products and their features. Like I said, I use both devices and each has its strength and weakness.

Last edited:
Android is open source. iOS isn't. It is obvious for multiple vendors to produce Android devices. Rubbish argument. You could have used the tighter control and regulation for iOS apps argument at Android's infancy. That is in today's world an invalid argument.

I'm not going to deny that due to Android's open source nature one might find unstable apps, but that is part of the concept. Android users are power users. iOS users are more likely average users. Power users like to fine tune and refine every aspect of their device including advanced features. That naturally brings the risk of unstable features in apps. You don't have such a luxury in iOS apps. They are mostly confined.

You cannot compare Android with PC. They are world's apart.

Are you aware of Apple Public Source License? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Public_Source_License). A large number of components in iOS are actually under this license. Also, Android is no longer as open source as you would like to believe. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/08/google_is_taking_android_proprietary_heres_how/). A number of new functionalities are being released in binary only libraries.

That said, what makes you think that having Open source mobile operating system will lead to better app quality. FYI, apps for both the platforms are not necessarily open-source! Only few are.

Also, the assertion that all Android users are power user requires a solid evidence! Android users outnumber iOS user, true, but then also, avarage users out number power users. How come all of Android users are power users that way?

Smartphones are general usage devices, not exactly power user devices. Most users are avarage users. I want a stable phone where I can receive calls, receive emails, browse internet, have few good and useful apps! I do not want a phone where I have to find which App will work on which device.

Are you aware of Apple Public Source License? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Public_Source_License). A large number of components in iOS are actually under this license. Also, Android is no longer as open source as you would like to believe. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/08/google_is_taking_android_proprietary_heres_how/). A number of new functionalities are being released in binary only libraries.

That said, what makes you think that having Open source mobile operating system will lead to better app quality. FYI, apps for both the platforms are not necessarily open-source! Only few are.

Also, the assertion that all Android users are power user requires a solid evidence! Android users outnumber iOS user, true, but then also, avarage users out number power users. How come all of Android users are power users that way?

Smartphones are general usage devices, not exactly power user devices. Most users are avarage users. I want a stable phone where I can receive calls, receive emails, browse internet, have few good and useful apps! I do not want a phone where I have to find which App will work on which device.

Compared to iOS Android is certainly more open source anytime any day. You know this too. Apple has been forced to adjust its closed source position in certain areas simply due to the demands and dynamics of the market. Apple is religiously closed source. Anyone who knows the history of Apple also knows how its founder was a fervently staunch believer of closed systems.

I have already in quite detail explained that Android OS/apps usually contain more advanced features as opposed to iOS OS/apps. Advanced apps with their underlying code naturally contain complex bugs which could lead to instability etc. It is part of the inherent nature of Android. The vast majority of popular Android apps have excellent development teams that work very efficiently to continuesly remove bugs etc. to further refine their apps. Such Android based apps also have regular updates. More regular than iOS based apps. That doesn't mean to say that no rubbish or unstable Android apps exist, but we could apply the same argument for iOS based apps.

There is no debate about Android's power user base vs iOS average user base. Anyone who has used both devices will instantly acknowledge the power and advanced features of Android vs the limitations of iOS. Whilst Android has hundreds of modified versions and flavours available, iOS only has one. That should give you a perspective of Android's power and flexibility. It again also proves how open source Android is as opposed to iOS.

LOL at smart phones are just general use devices. You certainly haven't used Android devices. You have a lot to discover yet. You are indeed an average user if all you do is as you have explained. Perhaps that is all your requirement and iOS fits the bill for you. Don't confine your thoughts to iOS though. The world isn't a small pond. The world is an ocean.

Last edited:
Following the release of the critically acclaimed Xiaomi Mi MIX, Huawei has revealed its own take on a unique concept phone.

It comes with a plethora of unique features which is why it seems like Huawei didn’t want to be left in the dust with Xiaomi’s Mi MIX.

huawei-honor-magic.jpg

The phone will be released in China only unfortunately. It will be priced at RMB 3,700 (Rs. 56,000) in China. No word on an international release for now.

Design and Display
The phone is curved everywhere, the screen, the back the top and the bottom edge. It looks like a giant pebble when looked at from afar.

It features a single home button at the bottom of the screen and does not have a back or task view button. The home button includes a fingerprint sensor that can be touched, double tapped or swiped to serve as the home, back and task view button respectively.

Included in the phone is WiseScreen, which allows the phone to recognize its owner and only turns the screen on when the owner picks it up. It is done by an infrared sensor in the camera and another sensor in the frame of the phone which recognizes your hand.

FaceCode Intelligent Recognition on the other hand allows only a select few people to view your screen. The screen shows the notifications and turns on the screen only when a familiar face (yours, your friends or family) looks at the screen.

The display employs a 5.1 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) AMOLED panel. Its on par with many other flagship phones released this year (Samsung Galaxy S7, Google Pixel and Pixel XL for example).

Internals and Memory
On the inside Huawei included an octa-core Kirin 950 processor clocked at 2.3 GHz. Huawei Honor Magic has 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage. It does not have a memory card slot.

This phone is dual SIM by default.

Huawei is also banking it on AI and it seems apparent with Huawei Magic Live included in this phone which sits alongside Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

It works like Google’s Assistant in the Pixel phones. It can give recommendations on restaurants or cinemas if you’re talking about a movie. It can ask you to turn the driving mode on by recognizing that you’re driving, turn on the flashlight automatically when you enter a dark room, etc.

Camera and Battery
Like most of the other Huawei flagship phones, this one also features a dual camera setup with both sensors being 12 MP. One sensor captures in black and white while the other captures colors as well. This allows it to capture more detail than ordinary cameras. A dual LED flash is included.

The front camera is an ordinary 8 MP shooter.

Huawei Honor Magic has a 2,900 mAh battery which is made of a special graphite molecular structure. It charges up to 40% in 10 minutes and 90% in 30 minutes.

The unique feature of their fast charging technology is that the phone does not heat up at all while charging. It is similar to Oppo’s VOOC fast charging tech which also prevents the phone from heating up while charging in blazing fast speeds.

Huawei Honor Magic Specifications
  • CPU: 4x 2.3 GHz Cortex-A72 & 4x 1.8 GHz Cortex A53
  • GPU: Mali-T880 MP4
  • Chipset: Hisilicon Kirin 950
  • Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G Dual Sim
  • Design: Fully curved body
    • WiseScreen
    • FaceCode Intelligent Recognition
    • Huawei Magic Live AI
    • Fingerprint scanner
    • Dual Cameras
  • Display: 5.1″ QHD (2560 x 1440) resolution AMOLED
  • Memory:
    • RAM: 4 GB
    • Internal: 64 GB
    • Card slot: No
  • Camera:
    • Primary: Dual 12 MP, f/2.2, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
    • Secondary: 8 MP, f/2.0
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot, Bluetooth V4.2, GPS
  • Battery: 2,900 mAh Li-ion non-removable with fast charging and USB type-C slot
  • Colours: Golden Black, Porcelain White
  • Price: RMB 3,700 (Rs. 56,000)
https://propakistani.pk/2016/12/16/huaweis-honor-magic-unique-phone-ever/
What is the SAR level of this phone ?

I use both operating systems. Oftenly found myself in a very restrictive condition when using IOS. However Android gives me much relaxation in some features.

Back
Top Bottom