What's new

Huawei’s foldable Mate X just leaked, and it puts the Galaxy Fold to shame

Huawei’s revenue mainly came from its telecommunication network, but US- EU r boycotting its 5G now, so Hwei will collapse

US boycott yes.
Rest of the world, not really.:agree:
Dn7sigsXoAA5j6-.jpg

Being the best smart phone on the planet Earth, they are entitled to ask for whatever price they want.

People are free to choose not to buy.

Huawei’s Mate X foldable phone is a thinner 5G rival to the Galaxy Fold
A foldable that folds without a gap
By Vlad Savov@vladsavov Feb 24, 2019, 8:45am ESTSHARE
Samsung’s Galaxy Fold announcement isn’t even a week old yet, and we

already have a competitor that is thinner, has a bigger screen, and folds flatter. Say hello to the Huawei Mate X. Launching this very moment at MWC 2019, the Mate X has an 8-inch wraparound OLED display, a folded thickness of a mere 11mm, and a formidable spec sheet highlighted by 5G, a 4,500mAh battery, and Huawei’s in-house Kirin 980 processor.

The single OLED display of the Mate X actually serves triple duty. When the device is folded, you essentially have a dual-screen smartphone, with the second display on the rear allowing you to shoot selfies with the main camera or to share what’s on your primary display with a person on the other side. Open up the Mate X, and you get an almost square (but not quite) tablet that has minimal bezels on three sides.

CLICK_GIF.gif
GIF by Becca Farsace / The Verge
One of the sides is reserved for a thicker grip section that houses the three cameras, their accompanying flash, and a push-button latch that secures the folded tablet in a closed position. This approach keeps the thickness of the main chassis down to an impressively thin 5.4mm. Even when folded, the Mate X measures just 11mm in thickness, thanks in large part to the fact it has no gap in its fold. That’s the inherent advantage of folding a screen around the outside rather on the inside: you don’t have to fear creasing the beautiful display.

When open, the Mate X offers an 8-inch tablet display, and when closed it turns into a 6.6-inch smartphone."

huawei_matex_mwc19_vsavov7.jpg

huawei_matex_mwc19_vsavov8.jpg

When open, the Mate X offers an 8-inch tablet display, and when closed it turns into a 6.6-inch smartphone.

In functional terms, here’s all the displays you’re getting from this tablet:

• 6.6-inch (19.5:9 aspect ratio, 2480 x 1148 resolution) main display, when folded.
  • 6.4-inch (25:9, 2480 x 892) rear display, when folded.
  • 8-inch (8:7.1, 2480 x 2200) main display, when unfolded.
If, like me, you’re questioning why Huawei couldn’t make this phone-tablet hybrid that extra little bit wider in order to deliver a perfectly square display when fully open, I don’t yet have a good answer for that. In fact, as is the trend with all foldables right now, there’s more left unknown about the Huawei Mate X than has been revealed. Is the Mate X’s camera system on par with the one Huawei has put in the Mate 20 Pro smartphone? It carries the same Leica branding, but we don’t know its specs yet. Huawei’s head of global marketing Clement Wong told me today that the Mate X’s camera will be “on par” with the Mate 20 Pro’s performance. It’s not quite the same as saying they’ll be identical, but the Mate X will still have three lenses covering varying levels of zoom.

huawei_matex_mwc19_vsavov25.jpg

huawei_matex_mwc19_vsavov23.jpg

huawei_matex_mwc19_vsavov17.jpg

Here are the specs we do know: the processor at the heart of the Mate X is Huawei’s Kirin 980, the same one as in the Mate 20 Pro and the Honor View 20 that I recently reviewed. Both are superbly quick and responsive phones. Alongside that chip is Huawei’s own Balong 5000 5G modem, making for a pairing of 7nm chips with as much performance as early 2019 allows for. 5G isn’t yet a thing for anyone to be excited about, but its inclusion underscores the Mate X’s positioning as a device from the future. It has a dual-SIM card slot, or you can add one of Huawei’s Nano Memory Cards.

Huawei has the best first draft for a foldable phone[/paste:font]
I held the future in my hands, and it was foldable
There’s an impressive 4,500mAh battery inside Huawei’s new device, but we don’t know how far that will stretch in terms of everyday use. It’s accompanied by an upgraded 55W version of Huawei SuperCharge, which will top up the Mate X to 85 percent in 30 minutes. The power key on the side of the Huawei Mate X also houses a fingerprint sensor.

huawei_matex_mwc19_vsavov21.jpg

I got to see, but not touch — again, this is a theme with foldable devices so far, no touching— the Mate X up close at MWC, and the most immediately impressive thing for me was how casually the demonstrator was handling it. There was no white-gloves tenderness about his use of the device: he unfolded and folded the Mate X quickly and naturally, and I got no sense of any fragility about the slate. My overriding concern about foldables is that they’ll fail to be perfectly flat when actually opened up, but the Mate X again stands up to scrutiny. Though I can still see small bits of unevenness where the hinge resides, those don’t seem like deal breakers.

Should you be impressed by the Huawei Mate X design? Hell yes.

11:34 PM - Feb 24, 2019

Huawei has proudly branded its hinge, giving it the title of Falcon Wing design. The company’s engineers have been working on this for three years, according to Huawei consumer group chief Richard Yu, and the design has more than 100 components and has been patented. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to see a headphone jack on the Mate X, which is an omission it shares with the Samsung Galaxy Fold.

Huawei is pricing the Mate X at €2,299 with 8GB of RAM and 512GB of storage, and releasing it from the middle of this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/24/...hone-mate-x-price-release-date-specs-mwc-2019

Phone is good. The problem is my budget can't be afford to it. Make money, make money, make money, important thing should be said 3 times!

A company asks for $2,500 for 5g phone when 5g still exists in labor or in some places in China or elsewhere? If you ask me, calling madness is an understatement.

That means 7.2 Huawei phones cost as much as s small VF car that only costs ($18K). Crazy? No it’s mad. An average VN made phone costs $250, why should people pay 10 times more?

View attachment 541743

In my eyes, there is only a beautiful girl. The phone held by her is tooo normal.

Let the rich first buy it and help the prices go down eventually, for the middle class to afford it :D

There are always some deep pocket early adopters, just like those who dropped $3800 for a 32" 480P LCD TV. Huawei Mate X is THE most expensive smartphone for mass market so far?

Okay, but why people need to buy this stupid phone??

Phone is good. The problem is my budget can't be afford to it. Make money, make money, make money, important thing should be said 3 times!

In my eyes, there is only a beautiful girl. The phone held by her is too normal.

Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un approves your statement!:yahoo:

Thank you Huawei, thank you Mr Ren Zhengfei!

The more you buy 5G smartphones, the more 5G base-stations will be installed!

Thank you all, for working so hard to make money, and develop the 5G and even the 6G networks.

Soon the Golden Age of Humankind will start under the banner of Juche!:lol:

More here:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/north-korea-defence-forum.448499/page-53#post-11202215

8dea4e89730-jpg.460961

hoi4_43-resize-100-jpg.541108

North_Korea.gif
China.gif
North_Korea.gif
China.gif

There are always some deep pocket early adopters, just like those who dropped $3800 for a 32" 480P LCD TV. Huawei Mate X is THE most expensive smartphone for mass market so far?

Apple made a horde of followers just by being more expensive and out-innovating other (or, by out-stealing others).

And Huawei is not indisputable innovation leader in 5G and foldable phones, as US regime assault has proven.

Why not Xiaomi, Oppo or Huawei?

If it works in Rome, it should work elsewhere, too. :D

I used the Huawei Mate X and now I'm a foldable phone believer

Forget about the $2,600 price tag. The Galaxy Fold and Mate X aren't just about the money.

BY JESSICA DOLCOURT

FEBRUARY 25, 2019 10:08 AM PST

Hearing about the $1,980 Samsung Galaxy Fold and 2,300-euro Huawei Mate X foldable phones is one thing. Handling one of the first of its kind is another entirely. I thought I was wild about both of these yesterday. But after spending a good 5 minutes with the Mate X today, I understand the appeal of foldable devices on a much deeper level.

Phones aren't just specs. They're physical things we constantly hold and carry close. They're emotional, too. Phone designs can elicit strong reactions. Losing your phone can feel disorienting at best and devastating at worst. Not every foldable phone will be a revelation, but for me, the Mate X is.

Foldable phones present a chance to shake up a coasting industry while also effectively doubling the amount of screen space you have to use on your phone. Because foldable phones are phone-tablet hybrids, they can command a higher price, which opens up an important revenue stream at the top end for companies looking to make a greater profit in a slowing market. But this new era of bendable screens also represents the Wild West of phone design: A phone could fold inward or outward, down the center or on two sides, or even bend back around your wrist like a watch. At this early stage, companies are working out what a foldable phone means. Right now, anything goes.

I USED THE MATE X! #HuaweiMateX #MWC19@CNET https://t.co/wBNnwWXTFK

— Jessica Dolcourt (@jdolcourt) February 25, 2019
Huawei wants its turn in the foldable phone spotlight, and with the Mate X, it makes a convincing -- but expensive -- audition. The main competition: Samsung's Galaxy Fold phone, which has two screens, six cameras total and unfolds in the center to open into a 7.3-inch tablet. Huawei's Mate X -- that's pronounced "ex," not "ten" -- has three ways to use on 8-inch screen, four cameras (three you can see, one that's temporarily hidden) and an interesting design that gives you a grippable base for one-handed use.

When closed, the Mate X bends one big screen backward into two sides, treating each of those sides as a "screen" that lights up as you turn and move the device. Flip it upside down, turn it around, open it up, and the phone knows exactly where you are. It worked well in my brief time with the Mate X, but the hardware design itself is novel.

Huawei Mate X triple threat: Foldable phone with 5G, lots of cameras
35 PHOTOS

Where the Galaxy Fold, which I'm also dying to see, looks like two polished phones stacked together, the Mate X nestles into itself in a way that feels clever and fresh. Huawei shoved it cameras and essential components along a vertical sidebar, which it fashioned into a curve. When closed, the smaller part of the screen fits to this "falcon wing" curve. When open, Huawei describes this part as an "ergonomic handle," which helps explain why there's such a thick slab on the size that would otherwise feel out of place.

mwc19-huaweimatex.jpg

Watch this: Huawei Mate X is a foldable phone with 5G
2:43

The device itself feels fully formed. It's satisfyingly compact, secured when closed by two tiny magnets at the outer corners. When you want to unfold the Mate X, you press a textured hardware button that pops open a latch, then you apply a little pressure to ease the device open. It's not an especially smooth process, but the three or four times I opened and closed it, the motion didn't feel juddery or stiff. I'd describe it more as being intentional. It felt pretty sturdy, and pretty good.

For Huawei, the hinge is everything. A shorter hinge height and narrow gap at the bending end is the brand's way of lording its design over the Galaxy Fold, which looks like it has a larger loop-shaped gap when closed. The Fold also has a large notch on its right screen, where Huawei boasts about the Mate X's notchless edge-to-edge display (because all the cameras are on that grip).
I probably wouldn't hold it solely by the grip -- it's a little narrow for that -- but it did feel fairly stable in my right hand, with my fingertips extended onto the back of the tablet for balance.

huawei-mate-x-clement-wong.jpg

Unfold it like you mean it.

Jessica Dolcourt/CNET
Although the Mate X I opened and closed is essentially a working prototype, the software worked fairly well. One benefit of lining up the four rear cameras is that they shoot everything, including selfies. Because the large screen wraps around the outside of the device, it means that the screen can light up for both the photographer and the subject. When Huawei's head of global marketing, Clement Wong, took a photo of me, I could see myself through the viewfinder, too. Not bad as a quick way to check if there's anything in my teeth.

I know some of you have asked about the screen itself. I was surprised at how slick the screen felt. Not exactly the same as glass, but my finger glided over it and I didn't feel any slower navigating around. I did ask about repairs and warranty, but Huawei isn't commenting on that yet.

editorsreact-foldable.jpg

Watch this: Galaxy Fold vs. Huawei Mate X: CNET editors react
9:54

But what about the
seam?! A lot of you want to know if there's a visible line running down the center of foldable phones. This was a demo unit, and yeah, though I did see a bit of a ridge where the show unit puckered up, the phone still felt unified in tablet mode. Until screens are also stretchable, I'm not sure how any design that bends this way wouldn't have a little loose skin, like the outside of your elbow when you straighten your arm.

The phone isn't extraordinarily heavy, but the Galaxy S10 Plus I'm reviewing felt much lighter and smaller after I reluctantly handed the Mate X back. Although I didn't get a chance to slip it in my pocket, assuring the collective hyperventilation from Huawei's team, it's surely be a tight squeeze. This is more a device you carry around like a tablet or laptop.

Read: Mate X foldable phone is $$$, but Huawei hints at cheaper future foldable phones

Huawei has also made a case that will cover the Mate X's sides and back in its folded form, leaving an open window for the 6.6-inch display. In some countries, the case might come in the box. The company wasn't showing that off in my one-on-one demo.

Mate X battery, 5G, pricing and release date

The Mate X has the Galaxy Fold outpaced when it comes to battery capacity, with a 4,500mAh capacity split between two batteries, one on either side of the folding screen. Samsung's Galaxy Fold has a total of 4,380mAh capacity available between its two lobes. As we know through testing, raw capacity gives you the upper hand, but we won't know which has better real-life performance until we test them side by side.

huawei-mate-x-mwc-2019-15.jpg

It's easy to hold when folded up.

Andrew Hoyle/CNET
5G speeds are a big talking point for Huawei, and the Mate X uses the company's in-house Kirin 980 processor and Balong 5000 5G modem chip. Right now Huawei says that the Mate X will download content four times faster than the current 4G connection, so about 1GB in 3 seconds. The Oscar-nominated film Roma on Netflix is under 700MB to download, so that would theoretically download to the Mate X in roughly 2 seconds.

The 2,300 euro Mate X (that converts to $2,600, £2,000 or AU$3,660) is also 5G-ready, while the $1,980 Galaxy Fold will come in either 4G or 5G configurations. Huawei will start selling the Mate X in the middle of 2019, while Samsung's Galaxy Fold will be available for sale starting April 26. Huawei hasn't announced carrier partners just yet.

More Huawei Mate X specs
  • Configuration 1: 6.6-inch front display (2,480x1,148-pixel resolution)
  • Configuration 2: 6.38-inch rear display (2,480x892-pixel resolution)
  • Configuration 3: 8-inch interior OLED display (2,480x2,200-pixel resolution)
  • 512GB storage, 8GB RAM
  • Fingerprint reader integrated into power button
  • 55W Huawei SuperCharge. 30 minutes charge for 85 percent battery life (from zero)
  • Split-screen mode
  • Preview for selfies so you can see how you look before you take the picture
  • Color: Interstellar blue
Huawei has a lot of details to fill in about the phone, and we'll update this piece as we learn more from Huawei on Sunday at the Mate X's official launch event. But right now, Huawei is coming after the Galaxy Fold, with an aim to generate even more buzz than its No. 1 rival.

https://www.cnet.com/news/i-used-the-huawei-mate-x-and-now-im-a-foldable-phone-believer/

$3800 for a 32" 480p LCD TV would have been cheap.
The first expensive LCD TV I saw at a friend's house was a not too big and squarish looking $17,000!
That was 18 years ago and the picture was not too impressive.
But he was happy to be the first ones to have a TV he can hang on the wall.

$3800 for a 32" 480p LCD TV would have been cheap.
The first expensive LCD TV I saw at a friend's house was a not too big and squarish looking $17,000!
That was 18 years ago and the picture was not too impressive.
But he was happy to be the first ones to have a TV he can hang on the wall.

It is usually like that with new innovation.

Those nay sayers are just jealous losers because somehow the great product comes from China.

They will need to suck in more in the future.

I used the Huawei Mate X and now I'm a foldable phone believer

Forget about the $2,600 price tag. The Galaxy Fold and Mate X aren't just about the money.

This is how cults are created.

Great marketing by Huawei thanks to US regime efforts by the secret CPC agent, Mr. Trump, who also works in tandem with Mr. Putin to make Russia great again (because Mr. Putin has Trump's b***s).

An average VN made phone costs $250, why should people pay 10 times more?
haha, the thing that I like you most is that you are performing consistently inconsistent in different threads that you are joining. I.e. the point that you brag in Thread A, is very likely be challenged by you yourself in Thread B.

Apply your logic, your beloved joke Fadil is priced at $18k; higher than all the rest competitors models from reputable car companies like Hyundai, Kia, Toyota and GM. Why should people pay more to the joke Fadil, when they could get a much more reliable car at a much lower cost? Huawei Mate X's high price could be justified by its best-on-world technology: 5G + foldable display. But what the joke Fadil is equipped to justify its insane price? You want to tell us this is a flying car??
https://www.vir.com.vn/vinfast-announces-jaw-dropping-starting-price-for-vehicles-63984.html
upload_2019-2-26_15-16-23.png

Apply your logic again. Apple is priced much higher than all the rest competitors like Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and Samsung. But when Apple shows interests in vn market, you did not bother to ask "why should people buy iphone, as all the rest brands phones are priced much lower". Instead, you show the news in a very proud way, full of excitement.
upload_2019-2-26_15-48-34.png

Please show some consistency: use the same standards to all companies, no matter they are Chinese, Vietnamese, or American. OK?

A company asks for $2,500 for 5g phone when 5g still exists in labor or in some places in China or elsewhere? If you ask me, calling madness is an understatement.

That means 7.2 Huawei phones cost as much as s small VF car that only costs ($18K). Crazy? No it’s mad. An average VN made phone costs $250, why should people pay 10 times more?

View attachment 541743
The main significance of huawei's foldable phone is to demonstrate the advanced technology in this aspect.
Huawei is not expecting that it would bring high sales
BTW,
Girl is very beautiful in the photo

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

haha, the thing that I like you most is that you are performing consistently inconsistent in different threads that you are joining. I.e. the point that you brag in Thread A, is very likely be challenged by you yourself in Thread B.

Apply your logic, your beloved joke Fadil is priced at $18k; higher than all the rest competitors models from reputable car companies like Hyundai, Kia, Toyota and GM. Why should people pay more to the joke Fadil, when they could get a much more reliable car at a much lower cost? Huawei Mate X's high price could be justified by its best-on-world technology: 5G + foldable display. But what the joke Fadil is equipped to justify its insane price? You want to tell us this is a flying car??
https://www.vir.com.vn/vinfast-announces-jaw-dropping-starting-price-for-vehicles-63984.html
View attachment 541901

Apply your logic again. Apple is priced much higher than all the rest competitors like Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and Samsung. But when Apple shows interests in vn market, you did not bother to ask "why should people buy iphone, as all the rest brands phones are priced much lower". Instead, you show the news in a very proud way, full of excitement.
View attachment 541908
Please show some consistency: use the same standards to all companies, no matter they are Chinese, Vietnamese, or American. OK?

That's a heavy blow.

I am glad it is not me.

@Viet , 加油!

Back
Top Bottom