What's new

Huawei P20 beats both iPhone X and SG S9

I cannot agree what you say about the OnePlus 6 as being a featureless phone.
OnePlus has spent a ton of time refining their Oxygen OS and the dual camera's are only slightly behind the iphone x, S9 and P20 pro. It's screen is just as good as the P20 Pro and is just as fast as the S9 and faster than the P20 Pro.

Iphone and S9 are so expensive just because Apple and Samsung have built a brand and think they can charge those prices. Huawei P20 Pro is expensive mainly because of the expense of the triple camera set-up and the phone is a major R&D expense for Huawei as it is a radical departure to anything they have done before.

The problem is this, OnePlus uses too many off the shelve technology so they can put down the price. Which in itself, reuses quite a lot of OEM parts that other last year's flag ship phone use. That way, they can afford the $500~ price tag the phone have to offer.

On the other hand, iPhone and Samsung have put much of its money for research and development. Gear VR, Samsung Experience, Infinity Display, iPhone 3D camera, iPhone Secure face ID, to name a few those aren't come in cheap. While branding is one thing, there have to be a continue of user friendliness to have the phone continue to be popular.

I was speculating about the fictional Kirin 970+ with A75 cores and Mali G72 MP18 as I firmly believe that it is only the relatively weak Kirin 970 that has stopped the P20 Pro from being considered the best Android phone by the tech community. Maybe Huawei will learn for next time - there have been early "benchmarks" that put the Kirin 980 that will equip the Mate 20 Pro as being an absolute beast.

Many people believe the Kirin 980 bench is fake. Partly because by the time they bench, TSMC 7nm was not in production yet. (The bench is done in February where TSMC only start mass production of 7nm fab in April.) Also the lack of any iPhone and Samsung in the top 10 list sounded fishy (by the time the alleged benching is done, Samsung S9 and iPhone X was already out.)

The problem is this, OnePlus uses too many off the shelve technology so they can put down the price. Which in itself, reuses quite a lot of OEM parts that other last year's flag ship phone use. That way, they can afford the $500~ price tag the phone have to offer.

On the other hand, iPhone and Samsung have put much of its money for research and development. Gear VR, Samsung Experience, Infinity Display, iPhone 3D camera, iPhone Secure face ID, to name a few those aren't come in cheap. While branding is one thing, there have to be a continue of user friendliness to have the phone continue to be popular.

You have some points but there is no reason for Apple to need to charge 1000 US dollars for the iphone X. Even Apple's brand could not pull it off with iphone X and we are already seeing big discounts on new iphone X's - 15% in the UK here which never happened before with other iphones.

The S9 Infinity display is pretty much the same as the one on the S8 and so Samsung have already made their money on that back. New S9s are selling for 20% below the RRP and this did not happen with the S8 so quickly after it came out.

Many people believe the Kirin 980 bench is fake. Partly because by the time they bench, TSMC 7nm was not in production yet. (The bench is done in February where TSMC only start mass production of 7nm fab in April.) Also the lack of any iPhone and Samsung in the top 10 list sounded fishy (by the time the alleged benching is done, Samsung S9 and iPhone X was already out.)

We shall have to wait and see whether the "benchmarks are fake" or not. If Huawei have learnt their lesson from the P20 Pro, they should go all out to make sure that no other Android phone is faster than theirs in the future. It does not help the status of a Huawei phone when tech reviewers say their phones are good but the SOC is only as powerful as the ones from last year.

You have some points but there is no reason for Apple to need to charge 1000 US dollars for the iphone X. Even Apple's brand could not pull it off with iphone X and we are already seeing big discounts on new iphone X's - 15% in the UK here which never happened before with other iphones.

The S9 Infinity display is pretty much the same as the one on the S8 and so Samsung have already made their money on that back. New S9s are selling for 20% below the RRP and this did not happen with the S8 so quickly after it came out.

Well, the reason why iPhone is able to sell for over $1000 is because of iOS, hardware wise, it may be worse than some second flag phone out there, however, total control of iOS would mean they can build iOS into what they want exactly and utilize all the feature they can and reach the harmony between hardware and software.

That is why Apple product have such high performance but with, most of the time, second grade hardware.

As to the problem associated with S9, I have already discussed before. Not going to further discuss it.

We shall have to wait and see whether the "benchmarks are fake" or not. If Huawei have learnt their lesson from the P20 Pro, they should go all out to make sure that no other Android phone is faster than theirs in the future. It does not help the status of a Huawei phone when tech reviewers say their phones are good but the SOC is only as powerful as the ones from last year.

Easy to say, hard to do...…….Especially now.

A good phone may not be the quickest, or even best phone, the definition of a good phone is up to an individual, and how they use, hardware difference is taken over by user experience as the top condition as to which phone is great and which is not.

Even with the flagship phone today, if you are a serious photo taker, you will think P20 Pro is worth the money, and ignore their CPU, water resistance and so on. And if you want a phone to play video and play game, then I don't think you will buy a P20 Pro. And people who wanted overall performance would most likely ended up buying an iPhone.

Easy to say, hard to do...…….Especially now.

A good phone may not be the quickest, or even best phone, the definition of a good phone is up to an individual, and how they use, hardware difference is taken over by user experience as the top condition as to which phone is great and which is not.

Even with the flagship phone today, if you are a serious photo taker, you will think P20 Pro is worth the money, and ignore their CPU, water resistance and so on. And if you want a phone to play video and play game, then I don't think you will buy a P20 Pro. And people who wanted overall performance would most likely ended up buying an iPhone.

There are lots of performance users who will never buy an iphone as they are already "locked" into the Android eco-system.
iPhone X may be the fastest in Geekbench single-core counts(although Samsung's Exynos 9810 comes close) but it is not as powerful for gaming as the OnePlus 6 with the Adreno 630 that comes with the Snapdragon 845

But the P20 is even pricier! It’s $1,100! (899 Euros)

There are lots of performance users who will never buy an iphone as they are already "locked" into the Android eco-system.
iPhone X may be the fastest in Geekbench single-core counts(although Samsung's Exynos 9810 comes close) but it is not as powerful for gaming as the OnePlus 6 with the Adreno 630 that comes with the Snapdragon 845

As I said, different phone for different people, and if I want to do a lot of gaming, I will probably buy Samsung S9. or Sony ZX2 Premium, S9 have a better Graphic chips (G72-M18, not with 845) and ZX2 have better Display density (I think it reaches 700+ which even beats S9) while OnePlus 6 have neither good Graphic SoC (Adreno 680) nor good display density (IIRC it's only 480)

If Huawei do that, 2 things will happen

1.) it will not be as cheap, and the current P20 Pro is not "that" cheap to begin with. Getting Kirin 970+ and MP18 (like Samsung S9+) would increase the price for about US$150-$200, which will be equal or more than you pay for a S9+

2.) The battery won't last that long.

Which if Huawei did what you said, the 2 things I mention will basically stop people from buying the phone.
How is it an upgrade if it doesn't improve te battery life?
AFAIK low power consumtion is the main and improved performance is the key features of an upgraded design

How is it an upgrade if it doesn't improve te battery life?
AFAIK low power consumtion is the main and improved performance is the key features of an upgraded design

I don't understand ur question...….

My Post is to reply for someone else saying what if P20 Pro uses Mali G72-MP18 and better CPU. I didn't say that was an upgrade...

As I said, different phone for different people, and if I want to do a lot of gaming, I will probably buy Samsung S9. or Sony ZX2 Premium, S9 have a better Graphic chips (G72-M18, not with 845) and ZX2 have better Display density (I think it reaches 700+ which even beats S9) while OnePlus 6 have neither good Graphic SoC (Adreno 680) nor good display density (IIRC it's only 480)

Gaming performance isn't really an issue on any flagship smartphone, even if you are playing PUBG mobile at maximum settings.

Gaming performance isn't really an issue on any flagship smartphone, even if you are playing PUBG mobile at maximum settings.

that's what you think.....I have no problem with that.

Just that most people think otherwise, that is the reason why some people will buy top tier High End GPU instead of normal High End card (like 1080ti vs 1080 or even 1070 would be comparable) in computer graphic card, they wanted maximum experience.

You can also run the same game on any mid-end graphic card, that may meet the minimum, and to some gamer, it may already be enough.

that's what you think.....I have no problem with that.

Just that most people think otherwise, that is the reason why some people will buy top tier High End GPU instead of normal High End card (like 1080ti vs 1080 or even 1070 would be comparable) in computer graphic card, they wanted maximum experience.

You can also run the same game on any mid-end graphic card, that may meet the minimum, and to some gamer, it may already be enough.

That's completely different since you are talking about PC hardware.

Out of the current major games on mobile (like PUBG mobile), which of them cannot run smoothly at maximum settings on any current generation "flagship" smartphone?

That's completely different since you are talking about PC hardware.

Out of the current major games on mobile (like PUBG mobile), which of them cannot run smoothly at maximum settings on any current generation "flagship" smartphone?

You do know I am talking about the factor affecting gaming experience (like PPI, screen resolution and display brightness), not PC parts? Those are share between PC gaming and Mobile Gaming, I mean the experience is shared, not the hardware.

A good phone will provide a good balance of PPI, resolution and brightness, that in part related to the Graphic SoC given on a phone (which power the first 2), a better SoC working with a better screen will give you are crispier picture with clearer image while you run the game smoothly. Because I can run the game smoothly without a sharp contrast (if your PPI is low) or High Resolution (If your screen can overscan)

PPI-Difference-50-to-300.png

PPI difference

Torak.gif

Resolution Difference

But again, if you don't care about all these, and only care about your game run smoothly or not, that is again, your own opinion...I don't do gaming much these day and That's why Gaming Phone is not at all important for me either.

I read every single word of original post and I am very impressed

Adreno 630 that is on the OnePlus 6 is far more powerful than the MP18 on the S9.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom