What's new

Huawei P20 beats both iPhone X and SG S9

Adrenal 630 that is on the OnePlus 6 is far more powerful than the MP18 on the S9.

Not when you use with Samsung Experience. Plus, S9/S9+ support 3D/VR rendering, OP6 does not at all.

As I said, today tech is more about AI and software.

Not when you use with Samsung Experience. Plus, S9/S9+ support 3D/VR rendering, OP6 does not at all.

As I said, today tech is more about AI and software.

Let us wait to see what happens with Mate 20 Pro and see whether Huawei come out with a very powerful chip in the Kirin 980. If Kirin 980 can match Snapdragon and Exynos chips, and Huawei release an upgraded version 6 months down the line, then I think they can do as well as Samsung.

Let us wait to see what happens with Mate 20 Pro and see whether Huawei come out with a very powerful chip in the Kirin 980. If Kirin 980 can match Snapdragon and Exynos chips, and Huawei release an upgraded version 6 months down the line, then I think they can do as well as Samsung.

not sure, TSMC said they are delivering 7nm fab in Dec, so Mate 20 if materialized would be late 2018 the earliest. By then Snapdragon would also have 855 (same batch of 7nm chips).

Also, since S9 is blasted for not update enough from S8, which mean S10 (or whatever it was called) would have to be a lot better than S9 to win back some trust, which mean its going to be harder to beat when it comes out.

I don't understand ur question...….

My Post is to reply for someone else saying what if P20 Pro uses Mali G72-MP18 and better CPU. I didn't say that was an upgrade...
You stated that an upgrade in CPU would cause the price to rise significantly and battery performance would reduce which is not the case as an upgrade in CPU architecture would most probably render in a low power design. The designers are constantly working upon increasing performances and marginalizing the power required to achieve that performance and an upgrade is announced when when new design has significant improvemet in performance and power cosumption. So your assertion that with an upgraded CPU, "the battery won't last that long" is totally absurd.

not sure, TSMC said they are delivering 7nm fab in Dec, so Mate 20 if materialized would be late 2018 the earliest. By then Snapdragon would also have 855 (same batch of 7nm chips).

Also, since S9 is blasted for not update enough from S8, which mean S10 (or whatever it was called) would have to be a lot better than S9 to win back some trust, which mean its going to be harder to beat when it comes out.

Remember that the G72 can go all the way up to MP32.
Huawei just need to use Arm's technology to it's fullest and they can take on anyone. Samsung needs strong competition in the Android field as otherwise they take advantage of the consumer.

You stated that an upgrade in CPU would cause the price to rise significantly and battery performance would reduce which is not the case as an upgrade in CPU architecture would most probably render in a low power design. The designers are constantly working upon increasing performances and marginalizing the power required to achieve that performance and an upgrade is announced when when new design has significant improvemet in performance and power cosumption. So your assertion that with an upgraded CPU, "the battery won't last that long" is totally absurd.

Did you see the GPU upgrade part?

CPU-wise, it is a consensus that an upgrade of processor core would demand more power. However, as you said, the "newer generation" of processor would have a lower TDP over the last generation. Bear in mind if we are to compare, we are not comparing cross generation (ie Kirin 780 and Kirin 770, or in other word, A75 vs A73) but rather how core performance of each processor would generate at the same Architecture (like Snapdragon 845 is generally consider more TDP efficient due to low core speed than Exynos, while both are on A75.)

iPhone X isn't really in the running.

As an example, does anyone here own an iPhone X, or intending to buy one?

Not saying it's a bad phone, but not worth it for the price, especially when you have cheaper phones that perform better in basically every way.
I am Iphone user for more then 10 years now and change only one set way back 4 years now and i don't have any mode to change my 6S plus any time soon because its serving me well. Iphone's life is very long compare to any phone

Did you see the GPU upgrade part?

CPU-wise, it is a consensus that an upgrade of processor core would demand more power. However, as you said, the "newer generation" of processor would have a lower TDP over the last generation. Bear in mind if we are to compare, we are not comparing cross generation (ie Kirin 780 and Kirin 770, or in other word, A75 vs A73) but rather how core performance of each processor would generate at the same Architecture (like Snapdragon 845 is generally consider more TDP efficient due to low core speed than Exynos, while both are on A75.)
I think I missed the GPU part of the discussion but back to the original discussion again, you might have become an expert reading about CPU and their generation and comparing TDPs of different CPUs and other specs. But the power consumption depends on a lot more things than a fab process upgrade, there are a lot of avenues within similar fabrication technologies and techniques which can reduce the power signature of a design, a mere change in routing or placement of transistors can lead to a better design in terms of power consumption and increase its performance too. And in today's fast competing world of technology, a fabrication upgrade is sought after but the sizes are getting smaller and smaller and the physics of transistors is hindering further shrinkage. So the manufacturers and designer are utilizing other factors to improve the power consumption and performances and an upgraded design without a generation or fab process improvement should yield an improved performance and power consumption over its predecessor. Similarly, it is absurd to imply otherwise that an improved CPU design would have reduced performance or battery life because if that was the case the design would have been discarded in the design phase and would never have seen the light of the day.

I think I missed the GPU part of the discussion but back to the original discussion again, you might have become an expert reading about CPU and their generation and comparing TDPs of different CPUs and other specs. But the power consumption depends on a lot more things than a fab process upgrade, there are a lot of avenues within similar fabrication technologies and techniques which can reduce the power signature of a design, a mere change in routing or placement of transistors can lead to a better design in terms of power consumption and increase its performance too. And in today's fast competing world of technology, a fabrication upgrade is sought after but the sizes are getting smaller and smaller and the physics of transistors is hindering further shrinkage. So the manufacturers and designer are utilizing other factors to improve the power consumption and performances and an upgraded design without a generation or fab process improvement should yield an improved performance and power consumption over its predecessor. Similarly, it is absurd to imply otherwise that an improved CPU design would have reduced performance or battery life because if that was the case the design would have been discarded in the design phase and would never have seen the light of the day.

You are talking about stuff that happens in the future, I don't think anyone can see what happened then.

as I said while I do agree on your assumption that newer CPU with newer architecture would most likely have less TDP over the old one, but as I said, we are not talking about this. We are comparing the TDP with respect to the same generation and the same architecture

If you look at the Samsung one and the Qualcomm one, its general consensus that Samsung CPU would draw more power than Qualcomm one because of the core speed, and most would agree with this statement, and if in the future, engineer can create a die that have more transistor (more speed) but less TDP, that would have been amazing, but then that remain to be seen, and I am using what happened today to project the future, if Kirin do what the member said.

A decent USB/external DAC would serve any of these phones fairly well.

Last edited:
You are talking about stuff that happens in the future, I don't think anyone can see what happened then.

as I said while I do agree on your assumption that newer CPU with newer architecture would most likely have less TDP over the old one, but as I said, we are not talking about this. We are comparing the TDP with respect to the same generation and the same architecture

If you look at the Samsung one and the Qualcomm one, its general consensus that Samsung CPU would draw more power than Qualcomm one because of the core speed, and most would agree with this statement, and if in the future, engineer can create a die that have more transistor (more speed) but less TDP, that would have been amazing, but then that remain to be seen, and I am using what happened today to project the future, if Kirin do what the member said.
Fair enough there is no comparison between different companies and I believe Qualcomm processor are better in power consumption statistics over other contemporary brands. That being said an upgraded CPU bearing same logo would definitly be better over it's precedessors in the same class in parameters mainly consisting of speed and power consumption even though it is fabricated with same process as its predcessor. A company would only claim an upgrade if they have achieved better performance, lesser consumption viz-e-viz older design.

iPhone X isn't really in the running.

As an example, does anyone here own an iPhone X, or intending to buy one?

Not saying it's a bad phone, but not worth it for the price, especially when you have cheaper phones that perform better in basically every way.

I will buy if the price drops down.

Back
Top Bottom