What's new

Huawei moves into supercomputing (too)

qwerrty

Reaction score
Huawei network switch? Then, Huawei smartphone? Well, get used to Huawei supercomputers soon.
REVIEW

The Shenzhen giant company which, as its proponents will repeat, started without any government help - although, of course, it is well linked with it today - is, in line with their 'next IBM' strategy we unveiled here some months ago, widening its reach.

Geographically, they pretty much covered the Earth, and their componentry are bound to go beyond this planet too, in Chinese space missions. Target market wise, the telecoms (both consumer and enterprise related) markets are covered as well, with CPUs and systems markets now under the assault.

The newest arena Huawei is entering is at the very top: supercomputers. Why bother, when it rarely makes money? Well, Huawei management, according to our sources, thinks high performance computing can make money, and not just in China. There is enough differentiation to make the designs blades and other nodes more HPC optimised, both CPU and memory performance wise, and then use Huawei network and interconnect expertise to improve on the inter-system connection efficiency, where even the Infiniband leaves a lot to be wanted.

Huawei, according to our high level sources, already got a substantial system portion of some of the upcoming ultra large systems in China, including what would likely be the world's first 100 Petaflop supercomputer in a year's time, at least five times as fast as the just unveiled fastest US system two weeks ago. This includes the node board design and rack infrastructure, among others. Of course, more of the same will follow, both above and below that performance threshold - some of it likely with Chinese - even Huawei's own - CPUs.

Since supercomputers are a costly and tough to earn money market with even tougher customer support for most generic vendors like HP or Dell, it'll be interesting how Huawei will handle the challenges of high performance computing marketing, sales, integration and support. If the past is anything to go by, looking how Cisco fared trying to compete with Huawei, the Western SI vendors better beware. After all, they themselves killed off their only advantage - their own CPUs like Alpha or MIPS or HP-PA - to be left essentially as large scale Intel or AMD system integrators. At that point, price and little tweaks, plus support, become the only differentiators, and the Chinese can do it just as well, if not better. After all, for over a decade, even IBM's main PC server server design solution, integration and manufacturing facility for Asia Pacific was right in Shenzhen. The staff must have learned a lot during all those years, before many of them moved to the local big vendors, including Huawei...

Read more: *ttp://vr-zone.com/articles/huawei-moves-into-supercomputing-too-/16600.html#ixzz20CdhJGdw

----

Huawei aims to be the new IBM?
Reported by Nebojsa Novakovic, March 2012 12:43 pm

China has now its share of high powered movers and shakers in the IT world. We all know how Lenovo masterfully played the strokes with its IBM PC division to become the global PC brand. How about the other big name there, Huawei?
REVIEW

Huawei aims to be the new IBM?

If only reading the past stories about them in the western press, one would easily assume Huawei to be just a - very big one, though - plagiarizer of glorious western technology marvels in the networking and telecoms business, especially damaging to the once leading show in town, Cisco. While part of their business seemed a bit like that, the reality is that Huawei grew way beyond that level, and the new aspirations seem to be very serious, on the global level.

The staff in Huawei's Shenzhen outfit - not a small one mind you, with a square mile-sized campus of some 60,000 workers - shared with us some interesting stories. Firstly, the general Huawei strategy now, ordered from the very top, is not to be the new Cisco, but the new IBM. In this contest, it means controlling everything: from the whole hardware stack, including their own CPUs, own servers and of course own telecoms and networking stuff, improving the software stack, to much stronger solutions and services arm.

While the ARM handphone CPU Huawei has is just the beginning, despite its seemingly very high performance, they argue the real push will come at the high end, especially servers, since the company wants to become the dominant player in the field. It'd be interesting to see which CPUs they would use there, aside from the obligatory Intel lines, since China is abound now with its own high end CPU offerings.

Keep in mind that, while it may be associated with Chinese government and even PLA these days, Huawei had quite humble, enterprising beginnings. So, dismissing all this as a party-ordered big time plan would be a big mistake. As far as we're told, they are dead serious on this, and there's plenty of money and other resources to back the plan. More to come as we hear!

Read more: *ttp://vr-zone.com/articles/huawei-aims-to-be-the-new-ibm-/15368.html#ixzz20CfK5IrH

Looking forward to China's regaining the number 1 spot in the coming Top500 list!

So its all a three chariots race to be number 1: China, US, japan! Have I missed out any countries in the race to the top?

3 pillars of growth: telcom infrastructure, devices and supercomputing(cloud computing)

all to be suppoted by in-house chips and CPUs(HiSilicon).

huawei should officially become a defence contractor too, like thales, ericsson, samsung techwin, etc... they have little revenue from american market anyways.. i don't know why they keep on bending over kissing american *****?

Huawei eyes deals with Etisalat, Saudi Telecom

By Matt Smith

DUBAI | Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:27pm IST

DUBAI (Reuters) - China's Huawei Technologies HWT.UL is in talks with Gulf telcos Etisalat ETEL.AD and Saudi Telecom 7010.SE to manage their fixed-line networks, an executive said, potentially cementing its leadership of a $1 billion regional industry.

Huawei, the world's No.2 telecom gear maker, is in similar negotiations with several other Middle East operators, the executive said in emailed comments, but declined to name them, citing confidentiality agreements.

"Huawei has strong partnerships with most regional operators and is constantly looking into ways of expanding these," Xia Chaojie, vice-president for delivery and service, Huawei Middle East, told Reuters.

"We see an opportunity to do this through moving towards new technologies and also looking at fixed-line managed services. Our teams have initiated talks with all our fixed network partners in the Middle East, including operators like Saudi Telecom and Etisalat."

Etisalat is a former monopoly in the United Arab Emirates, while managed services refers to operators outsourcing maintenance of networks to a third party.

The practice is increasingly common in the Middle East, allowing operators to better focus on marketing and customer services as a means of differentiating themselves from competitors.

Outsourcing network maintenance also typically cuts telcos' operating costs by 13 to 20 percent, Xia said.

He estimated the Middle East's managed services sector was worth $1 billion last year, claiming Huawei's market share was 55 percent. And he forecast sector revenue would grow around 18 percent over the next two to three years.

"In the Gulf we are providing or have provided managed services partnerships with almost all of the major operators," he said.

These include long-term deals with Oman's Nawras NWRS.OM, a unit of Qatar Telecom QTEL.QA, Saudi Arabia's Mobily 7020.SE -- part-owned by Etisalat -- and UAE's du DU.DU.

Huawei and domestic rival ZTE Corp 000063.SZ have come to prominence in the past few years, clinching contracts with major carriers and often edging out European rivals Ericsson (ERICb.ST), Alcatel Lucent SA (ALUA.PA) and Nokia Siemens Networks NOKI.UL.

Huawei is also helping to build and operate high-speed Long-term Evolution (LTE) mobile networks for Saudi Arabia's three operators, plus Etisalat, Nawras and Oman Telecommunications Co OTL.OM (Omantel).

LTE is specifically designed to carry data rather than voice and potentially offers download speeds more than double that of 3G, which it will eventually supersede, although a lack of LTE-enabled handsets means consumer adoption has been slow.

(Editing by David Holmes)

One thing I've learned from the Huawei Corp: These guys are hard working even by chinese standards. Certain software developed by my company were purchased by Huawei, a QA and a tech team was assigned to our contract to make sure the software worked properly before their hardware launch. Well, both teams worked EVERYDAY for FOUR months, including new years eve and Chinese new year. Their efficiency we simply couldn't cope with and had to prepare three teams on rotation to work with them.

Interestingly, at about the same time, the same software was also purchased by a well known european telecomm company to be deployed in France. 4 weeks after the project began the point contact person went on vacation for TWO friggin months, there was a communication 'black out' for a week and when a new point was assigned, it took him a couple of weeks to get back on track. The contract was extended because we couldn't make integration on time... could have sued them but we decided not to.

I guess this is a 'down-to-earth' perspective on why HuaWei got so big.

Way to go HuaWei, you guys deserve it.

China: We need technological sophistication to increase the productivity of our Party slaves and improvised farmers, which constitutes half of the country.

Sophisticated technology: But you're Chinese... GTFO.

You have it backwards.

The CCP has increased the per-capita income of the Chinese people by 10-fold or more. Also, the CCP has made life better for everyone, including abolishing the thousand-year-old agricultural tax on farmers.

The CCP is to be commended for its excellent job in managing China Inc. and improving the welfare of its citizens.

The per-capita income of the average Chinese citizen will hit $6,000 USD this year. All of China is inexorably moving into the middle class.

Thanks Martian, but we still face a serious problem: If you go to Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing, or any of the mega cities, it's not uncommon to find senior professionals with an annual salary of 20K~50K US, the average $6K is not even high for a college graduate in the cities (You will have a hard time sustaining yourself with only that much in Beijing).

Yet the average is only $6K, I suppose people in rural and less developed areas of China make much less (than the average). The National strategy is to 'Move West', we are now seeing some results, but not enough. I hope in ten years time we'll be seeing our fortune 500 companies EVENLY distributed in China (like that of the US), that'll be the day when I celebrate.

BTW how's your hand ;)

Thanks Martian, but we still face a serious problem: If you go to Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing, or any of the mega cities, it's not uncommon to find senior professionals with an annual salary of 20K~50K US, the average $6K is not even high for a college graduate in the cities (You will have a hard time sustaining yourself with only that much in Beijing).

Yet the average is only $6K, I suppose people in rural and less developed areas of China make much less (than the average). The National strategy is to 'Move West', we are now seeing some results, but not enough. I hope in ten years time we'll be seeing our fortune 500 companies EVENLY distributed in China (like that of the US), that'll be the day when I celebrate.

BTW how's your hand ;)

My hand has almost healed. The emergency room doctor used surgical scrubs to remove the dirt and gravel under my skin. I had four pits in my right hand where the epidermis had been scrubbed away.

I've been putting Neosporin (a triple compound of anti-bacterial ointment) on my hands daily. It's been about ten days. The new skin is growing in very nicely. It's all pink again.

The skin on my right knee is growing more slowly for some reason. Probably because the wound was deeper.

Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom