What's new

How we let down our nation, our country..are we guilty?

Hi Salim,

This is how we let our nation down---we donot want to admit that we are the sons and daughters of this soil. We always want to relate to someone else, somewhere else.

I am surprised at some people---we cannot change who we are. This is our identity---this is our resource---we have our own heritage and culture---we have no difference as to who we are. My supervisor Akash kapoor---born and raised in dehli---talks urdu like a native looks like any pakistani---so many hindu guys I know and sikhs ( shaved ) as well---I couldn't tell them any different. One of good pakistani friends---when he first time came for a job interview at the dealership---I thought he was from south india---actually he was from sialkot---.

So, going by this discussion, I did a web search of my ethnic caste ancestary---so they came from north---and trhey are settled on both the sides of the border---I don't feel any affection to the people from north anymore than I did yesterday.

This crisis that the pakistanis have---is truly a big issue in our national identity. For that reason a lot of pakistanis kowtow to the arabs---a lot of pakistanis are not concerned about the threats arising against pakistan internationally---for that reason, the pakistanis go out of their way and interfere in afghanistan and palestine making it a muslim issue.

regarding the topic.....i agree that there are many faults in us....which are bringing bad repute to our country.....

Mastan, there are people who used to refer themselves from India just because India is a popular name in the west. (red skins, indians, native americans, etc). This has now changed a lot. Pakistan is now popular than ever. Even if some few bad apples do it today, doesn't say anything about the whole expatriates. I have yet to find a pakistani calling himself an indian unless he never migrated to Pakistan ever.

Also status has come into play too. They would rather call themselves Italian than an Indian!

On second thought, I agree that there isn't any evidence that the word "Pakistani" wouldn't be as attractive a brand as "Indian". But the word Indian is associated with most of the culture of South Asia now, and the reasoning goes back to my earlier argument of "Indian" being used in its historical context of the South Asian region, as well as apathy by successive Pakistani governments, especially Zia and post Zia completely ignoring Pakistan's pre-Islamic history, and therefore we have an entire generation that does not know/care about that rich history that made us the people we are today.

However historians still describe the history of South Asia pre 1947 as "Indian History" which I believe continues to enhance "brand India" (modern India getting the most benefit out of it), but does leave Pakistan with little - even the Indus Valley civilization is described as an "Indian civilization". The usage is correct in the context of "Ancient India", but most people will not make the distinction between the Indian State and the historical reference to the Indian region.

Hence while Pakistan may be just as recognizable, India is associated with more of the history and culture - and therefore the "exotic".

Does that make sense - or was I just rambling?:rolleyes:

Mostly RAMBLING!....:cheesy:

Mastan, there are people who used to refer themselves from India just because India is a popular name in the west. (red skins, indians, native americans, etc). This has now changed a lot. Pakistan is now popular than ever. Even if some few bad apples do it today, doesn't say anything about the whole expatriates. I have yet to find a pakistani calling himself an indian unless he never migrated to Pakistan ever.

Also status has come into play too. They would rather call themselves Italian than an Indian!

Quite right Webby!....:coffee:

Hi Salim,

This is how we let our nation down---we donot want to admit that we are the sons and daughters of this soil. We always want to relate to someone else, somewhere else.

I am surprised at some people---we cannot change who we are. This is our identity---this is our resource---we have our own heritage and culture---we have no difference as to who we are. My supervisor Akash kapoor---born and raised in dehli---talks urdu like a native looks like any pakistani---so many hindu guys I know and sikhs ( shaved ) as well---I couldn't tell them any different. One of good pakistani friends---when he first time came for a job interview at the dealership---I thought he was from south india---actually he was from sialkot---.

So, going by this discussion, I did a web search of my ethnic caste ancestary---so they came from north---and trhey are settled on both the sides of the border---I don't feel any affection to the people from north anymore than I did yesterday.

This crisis that the pakistanis have---is truly a big issue in our national identity. For that reason a lot of pakistanis kowtow to the arabs---a lot of pakistanis are not concerned about the threats arising against pakistan internationally---for that reason, the pakistanis go out of their way and interfere in afghanistan and palestine making it a muslim issue.

Since you have talked about identities, what do you think should be the identity of pakistan?
What do you think it is right now?

what happened in the interim and why? like in your words, why do/did a lot of pakistanis kowtow to arabs? why did pakistanis go out of their way and make some exaggarated muslim issues?

would clarify a lot of issues if the discussion goes on civilly.

I dont mean to offend anybody, but i have personally seen a couple of Pakistani's call themselves Indian right after 9/11.

This is in no way representative of the Pakistani expat community, but just the circumstances that were prevalent then, when this happened. I think the reason would be that Pakistan is portrayed by the media in generally negative light. And i dont mean Indian media. Western media has been doing it for some time now, eg: CNN.

I think Pakistan should indulge in some comprehensive positive image media campaign of sorts in the west. That would change lots of things IMO. Its just how you are portrayed is what counts nowadays. That is all the brand building.

a lot of pakistanis and bangladeshis call themselves Indian in South Africa and Botswana coz the people here havent heard of pakistan or bangladesh! i have actually heard one guy from botswana ask a Pakistani friend of mine whether pakistan was a city in india! to them all asians are either indian or chinese!

i myself stay in botswana (a country north of South Africa), but whenever i visit some distant relatives in india i tell them i am from south africa coz i dont want to bother explaining where botswana and go into details about Bots. its not that i'm ashamed of Bots, which by the way is probably the best country in africa, but sometimes i just feel too lazy to explain in detail and answer questions. its much easier to say i stay in SA coz people wont continue questioning about the place. this is probably the same reason pakistanisa and bangladeshis pass themselves off as indian

a lot of pakistanis and bangladeshis call themselves Indian in South Africa and Botswana coz the people here havent heard of pakistan or bangladesh! i have actually heard one guy from botswana ask a Pakistani friend of mine whether pakistan was a city in india! to them all asians are either indian or chinese!

i myself stay in botswana (a country north of South Africa), but whenever i visit some distant relatives in india i tell them i am from south africa coz i dont want to bother explaining where botswana and go into details about Bots. its not that i'm ashamed of Bots, which by the way is probably the best country in africa, but sometimes i just feel too lazy to explain in detail and answer questions. its much easier to say i stay in SA coz people wont continue questioning about the place. this is probably the same reason pakistanisa and bangladeshis pass themselves off as indian

This is called identity crisis. Every time you introduce your country people will ask where is this?

But Pakistan is not facing major identity crisis as Botswana. Problem is something else....

Back
Top Bottom