What's new

How Tejas MK1A and JF-17 Block III fare against each other!

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
maxresdefault.jpg

Arch Rivals, India and Pakistan have started working on a new and improved version of their low-end fighter variant yet again, India has plans to develop an upgraded Tejas MK1A with a host of new features and capabilities over the previous version, Pakistan to has initiated development of Block III configuration with its technological partner China to keep JF-17 relevant in near future .

Both Tejas MK1A and JF-17 Block III are yet to enter production and it likely JF-17 will be first to enter production in 2020 followed by MK1A in the 2021-22 period. For Pakistani Air Force Block III configuration will be first major upgrade JF-17 will receive after Block II Configuration since severally diluted Block I was rushed into production without achieving major capability milestone.

PAF till 2017 has received 100 Block I and Block II JF-17 Configuration in its fleet, which averages out to 13 aircraft per annum, since the formation of its first Squadron way back in 2010, while deliveries had commenced way back in 2008. Pakistan achieved 20 units production rate of JF-17 only in 2017.

JF-17 Block III Features

• KLJ-7A AESA Radar
  • Larger Nose Cone
  • Larger Tail
  • Marginal Increase in Internal Fuel Capacity
  • A helmet-mounted display (HMD)
  • New three-axis fly-by-wire system
  • New Russian RD-93MA or Chinese WS-13 Engine (Yet to be Confirmed)
    Greater use of composite materials
PAF plans to procure 50 JF-17 Block III, in the meantime already has placed orders for 14 additional Block II.

IAF on other hand has placed orders for 40 Tejas MK1 and 83 Tejas MK1A largely to replace its aging fleet of Mig-21 squadrons, HAL plans to achieve a production rate of 18 aircraft per annum in next 3 years which will considerably improve previous slow pace of deliveries of the aircraft.

Tejas MK1A Features

• ELTA’s 2052 or Thales AESA Radar
  • Upgraded Modern Avionics
  • In-flight refueling capability
  • External EW System
  • More Maintenance friendly
On Paper Both Tejas MK1A and JF-17 Block III are on par in terms of capabilities and features they will get in their new variants, but JF-17 Block III which will feature largely Chinese supplied components and subsystem and will manage to keep the price tag at around $ 38-40 million per unit (approx) when compared to Tejas MK1A which reportedly will cost around $50 million per unit .

Yet Tejas MK1A will be dubbed as a superior aircraft due to the integration of superior western Avionics, weapons, and subsystems which comes with much more reliable Chinese supplied Avionics and subsystem in the direct performance comparison.

PAF is yet to confirm the development of JF-17 Block IV variant which is assumed will feature even more advance avionics and weaponry and India on other hands will start development of Tejas MK2 which will see even larger production run and increased capabilities and operational performance.

http://idrw.org/how-tejas-mk1a-and-jf-17-block-iii-fare-against-each-other/

Thanks, @kahonapyarhai , for this reproduction intended to make tempers flare up on the Pakistani side, and to make PDF kiddies jump up and down on the Indian side. You should be complimented for the smooth, almost imperceptible change of stance to an agent provocateur. Deft, professional, practised......

Yet Tejas MK1A will be dubbed as a superior aircraft due to the integration of superior western Avionics, weapons, and subsystems which comes with much more reliable Chinese supplied Avionics and subsystem in the direct performance comparison.

I thought these so-called "analysts" were past the point of judging the capabilities of unknown systems by their nationality. I guess I was wrong.

What exactly are the capabilities difference of JF17 Bl1 & Bl2 and how many Bl1 and how many Bl2 does PAF have.

We don't really know the configuration of the two aircraft.

All we know today is there will be 100+ LCAs with AESA radar and other next gen tech versus only 50 JF-17 Block IIIs with similar tech.

Thanks, @kahonapyarhai , for this reproduction intended to make tempers flare up on the Pakistani side, and to make PDF kiddies jump up and down on the Indian side. You should be complimented for the smooth, almost imperceptible change of stance to an agent provocateur. Deft, professional, practised......

Really Joe? I found the article itself smooth with
an almost imperceptible stance ... or conclusion
and was expecting few answers except by kids.

And now with that answer of yours, we might not
even know who was right, :cry:

Oh well, good day old mate and all, Tay.

Other than specifically naming radar rest r guesses
Hope they don't take another 30 years on mk1a ;)

We don't really know the configuration of the two aircraft.

All we know today is there will be 100+ LCAs with AESA radar and other next gen tech versus only 50 JF-17 Block IIIs with similar tech.
Block 1 and 2 will be upgraded to block 3 standard so would be over 150+ jf17 block3 :)

Other than specifically naming radar rest r guesses
Hope they don't take another 30 years on mk1a ;)

Block 1 and 2 will be upgraded to block 3 standard so would be over 150+ jf17 block3 :)
And how long those 100 lca would take to complete taking hal previous record is quite troubling question isnt it ;)

Really Joe? I found the article itself smooth with
an almost imperceptible stance ... or conclusion
and was expecting few answers except by kids.

And now with that answer of yours, we might not
even know who was right, :cry:

Oh well, good day old mate and all, Tay.

Just look at the last two articles by this cat. The other one is about Pakistani tanks vs. Indian tanks. That at least had the passing virtue of being essentially correct, but was still inflammatory, because PDF is now infested with kids who don't like hearing that their country isn't top dog. No point reasoning with them, or discussing with them.

This one lacks even that small virtue. There is no question that the Chinese quickie is far ahead on the development growth path. The thing about these cheap and cheerful fighter planes is that you have enough coming along to swamp the enemy's better heavy fighters; sort of like Russian T 34s keeping on coming against German Panzer IV and Tiger tanks. Numbers matter, not quality, and the JF 17 went to 20 a year last year itself; the Tejas will take a year or two more to get near, by which time the JF 17 will have moved into Block III, and will be frantically looking into ways to make a still-undefined Block IV even more battle-ready.

Indigenisation is something we did well, but too late, thanks to our double-damned bureaucracy, our bumbling military, who can't make out when they are being spun by the babus and the pols, and our knaves in public office. It isn't about quality; the really superficial job done by Pakistani technicians at the design and development stage was more than made up by the excellent performance of the Pakistani military manufacturing machine.

So why not take the post and discuss it?

For the same reason as before; mentioning the two in the same breath puts all the Pakistani hyper-patriots outside Pakistan (inside, they are merely super-patriots) into an uproar. All those elements who are prepared to fight to the last Pakistani soldier, sailor or airman will rise on their hind-legs and swear that they would rather see (from Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Britain, the US, Australia, New Zealand, anywhere other than Pakistan) Pakistan being nuked in retaliation to her own use of battlefield tactical nuclear devices than see anything less than an extirpation of the hated Indian Army, Air Force or Navy. Reality, and realism, have nothing to do with it; only a venting of whatever frustrations they have in their country of adoption (their pov; rejection from the other pov) in these 'discussions'.

Doesn't help.

We need to be at peace, and spending the bloated amounts going into shiny new toys on education, food, clothing and shelter, and health-care, and infrastructure: electricity, preferably not fossil-dependent power but renewable, roads and public service buildings, telecommunications and a thriving media.

End of rant.

Hope you have a great Sunday, and sorry to have spoilt your deliberations; it was thoughtless, I admit.

@Taygibay

Just take a look at the next (or was it the previous) post. After it has the track record of producing some hundreds of MiG 21s, dozens of Jaguars, scores of MiG 23s and MiG 27s, some See You Next Tuesday is left wondering if HAL can produce any of the Tejas.

And how long those 100 lca would take to complete taking hal previous record is quite troubling question isnt it ;)

See what these threads do to people?

Everything will be upgraded once the jets hit MLU. But that's so far ahead, 15-20 years later, that older blocks will have to be upgraded with Block 4 and Block 5 technologies.

Production is set to hit 19 jets per year and will be upgraded with another 8 jets per year once the Mk2 is available.

The JF 17 seems to be playing the catch up game as far as what is already on the Tejas. Better fly by wire, More composites and HMD.

Tejas MK1A will look mainly on improving fuel capacity, AESA, improved avionics and an oxygen generator.

The word in town right now is Uttam AESA has already been fitted in one of the LSPs.

The production should improve drastically once the initial teething problems with all suppliers is ironed out and MK1A should be faster. However, they need to properly manage MK2.

And here we go again..
There's nothing in the Pakistan's this vs India's that debates.
But I must say the only problem with tejas we have is that how shamefully Indians claim it to be entirely their own product.
On the contrary, we have been quite honest about Jf17 from the start.

Everything will be upgraded once the jets hit MLU. But that's so far ahead, 15-20 years later, that older blocks will have to be upgraded with Block 4 and Block 5 technologies.

Production is set to hit 19 jets per year and will be upgraded with another 8 jets per year once the Mk2 is available.
Didn't hal ga e similar Rosy timeline for orginal tenS look how quagmired it got ;)

Yeah well my friend, if we could
get people to know that :
A- Nukes are not military weapons, never were but political tools;
B- That
We need to be at peace, and spending the bloated amounts going into shiny new toys on education, food, clothing and shelter, and health-care, and infrastructure: electricity, preferably not fossil-dependent power but renewable, roads and public service buildings, telecommunications and a thriving media.

this is the most pressing need for both;

we'd be demi-gods and not judging for
you but I can vouch I'm not.

As for the rant, I'm alone at home so ...
you bothered no one else and I'm so
impervious to rants it's scary ... in part
because of confidence in my ability to
shut up / strangle the ranters but still.

Stay cool, Tay.

Last edited:
Yeah well my friend, if we could
get people to know that :
A- Nukes are not military weapons, never were but political tools;
B-

that is the most pressing need for both,

we'd be demi-gods and not judging for
you, I can vouch I'm not.

As for the rant, I'm alone at home so ...
you bothered no one else and I'm so
impervious to rants it's scary ... in part
because of confidence in my ability to
shut up / strangle the ranters
but still.

Stay cool, Tay.

NOW you've got me nervous! :eek:

I can safely confirm to you I'm not a demi-god, but belong to the other side; I was named after an invincible demon prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom