What's new

How many types of Ballistic missiles India has deployed?

Ballistic missiles India has? Deployed,not under test.?

3 types of Liquid fuel Prithvi.
4 types Agni? out of which Agni 5 isn't deployed yet and Agni-1 status isn't sure if still in service or withdrawn and Agni 2 and Agni 4 are almost same with same design fired on lifted trajectory to increase range as Agni 4.

That leaves India with only 3 fat Prithvi with no multi launch capabilities as Prithvi is too fat and liquid fueled.
Prahar, Dhanush and K series not deployed yet.
And 3 types of Agni. Total 6 types of Ballistic missiles?

On the other hand Pakistan has Ghauri 1 and Ghauri 2. Then 4 types of shaheen and then Nasr,Abdali and Ghaznavi.
Total 7 types of Ballistic missiles deployed,considering Ghauri 1 and 2 same with different ranges.
Shaheen's status unknown if still deployed or withdrawn, but Shaheen-1, Shaheen-1A and Shaheen 2 deployed. Then Nasr,Abdali,Ghaznavi.
Total 7.

Number of types does not matter that much,it's the total quantity of missiles and their warhead capacities that matters the most and Pakistan can never beat us when it comes to the scale of production!!

Reason is simple. India has failed to miniaturize nukes unlike Pakistan. As prahar can only carry 200kg or less,there are no nukes for it. But big fat Prithvi can carry 500kg or larger nukes which India has.
The primary warhead type in Indian arsenal is a 250 kt boosted fission device design,that weighs only around 350-400 kgs,there are also 350 kt light weight fusion devices in service!!
That's why no point in retiring Prithvi and replacing it with Prahar as gun is there,bullet isn't.
Prahar was never meant to be armed with nuclear warheads!!It's tactical NLOS BSM for crying out loud man!!
This also puts India's MREV/ MIRV capability as warheads have to be miniaturized for above capabilities.
You do not know that for sure!!

India and tactical nukes are same as Fox and grapes. Since India can't have them,they pretend they don't want them.
About the "Diagrams " you posted, they are just that, just Diagrams.

Kid!!We popped multiple of those 'grapes' of yours!!Check your fact kid!!

What are you smoking? The whole putting a nuke in a tactical ballistic missile was never something India even wanted.

Prahaar was supposed to be given to the Indian artillery corps, not to be under the strategic forces command umbrella. They're even trying to export the system as well.

And Agni 6 is MIRVed, they're in very advanced stages of it. Future SLBMs too.

a5a6-jpg.136990

a5a6slbm-jpg.136991

Agni V no longer weighs 50 ton but it was reduced to some 25 ton or so if Madam Tessy Thomas is to be believed.

Agni-4 !!

For Shourya give me any link, article, news of induction not the sucessfull test

For Pragati, there is no missile name Pragati, only Prahar -- Give me a reason for having tactical ballastic missile requirement in Indian Army -- BEST 120 KM GPS guided MBRL, and who says Prithvi 3 with solid fuel which will replace both Agni -1 and Agni -2 in one go cannot be used for 150 km range target.

The link quotes Avinash Chander for Prahaar replacing Prithvi I. And that Prithvi I was being withdrawn from service. And I do not know reasoning.

For Shaurya, again I am quoting Avinash chander “the development phase is over and we are going in for production of this missile.”

Pragati link from DRDO http://drdo.res.in:8080/alpha/drdo/English/product_adex_2013.pdf

I am giving you links and quotes of DRDO chief.

Now you hit the right button. Indian Nuclear is clear, that the Ballastic Missile is the delivery platform. Thats why Shaurya which is one of the best delivery weapon won't be inducted because it will risk our nuclear threshold of the nuclear deterrant. These weapon of mass destruction are not meant for the general use, rather a Deterrent show piece to scare the enemy. The Depressed trajectory, or the small range battle field BM will create problem in its used for the conventional use, because, the trajectory detected by the ground radar could wrongly trigger the nuclear war.

Nah,not the case anymore with type of advanced algorithms that go into the processors of modern ground radars!!The maximum flight ceiling of Shaurya is just 40 km or so and it barely gets out of the atmosphere where as a ballistic missiles might have an apogee of over 500 km!!No way a modern AESA radar mistake one for the other!!And besides,Shaurya doesn't even follow a ballistic flight path,after achieving its maximum height,it enters into a level flight and continues the same till it reaches its terminal phase!!There is just no way a modern radar make so big a mistake of mistaking a depressed trajectory tactical missile like the Iskander with that of a ballistic missile!!I would give you the same advice again as I do from time to time - stop following Prasun's words so blindly all the time!!You have brain which is capable of aplying logic and come to a reasonable conclusion on its own,give it a try sometimes,chuvak!!

Agni V no longer weighs 50 ton but it was reduced to some 25 ton or so if Madam Tessy Thomas is to be believed.
That is Agni III not V.

Ms. Thomas said that while the two-stage Agni-III missile capable of hitting targets up to 3,000 km away weighed 50 tonnes, the team was able to bring down the weight of the missile to 22 tonnes.

“It saw several technological enhancements and we had to redesign the entire system, use maraging steel and composite motor rocket,” she said.

I support Both of them
@Nilgiri & @amardeep mishra
i bet these 2 guys are gonna b think tanks very soon!!!!
its a treat reading your informational posts.....for me u guys are think tanks :)

Nah,not the case anymore with type of advanced algorithms that go into the processors of modern ground radars!!The maximum flight ceiling of Shaurya is just 40 km or so and it barely gets out of the atmosphere where as a ballistic missiles might have an apogee of over 500 km!!No way a modern AESA radar mistake one for the other!!And besides,Shaurya doesn't even follow a ballistic flight path,after achieving its maximum height,it enters into a level flight and continues the same till it reaches its terminal phase!!There is just no way a modern radar make so big a mistake of mistaking a depressed trajectory tactical missile like the Iskander with that of a ballistic missile!!I would give you the same advice again as I do from time to time - stop following Prasun's words so blindly all the time!!You have brain which is capable of aplying logic and come to a reasonable conclusion on its own,give it a try sometimes,chuvak!!

Only if the enemy have decent Air Defence system and early warning system. A modern Radar will try to guess the type of BM from its speed, Radar, and Altitude now if you are referring to 3D radar, which will give this Early warning and if the enemy state have a decent early warning system, then from its IR signature as well. My point is if the enemy is A state which don't have that early warning capability and rely on 2D long range radar, then what he will get the radar information is about the directional coordinate and the distance, not the altitude. And if the border distance between A and us is almost zero, then its very difficult to guess the type of BM, whether shaurya or Prithvi-1 and Prithvi-2. More ever if most of the target, is in the proximety of the much cheaper Prithvi series, and don't have affective ABM than what is the profit of using costly Shaurya. Shaurya if fired for short range, its tragectory will only mimic the parabollic Ballastic Missile tragectory.

And if the enemy is B which is very developed and world class early warning system, have satellite surveillance to detect and monitor the BM threat, and have data about our BM arsenal, than he is more likely be able to detect what we are shooting him at. But still we are relying on the enemy capability to detect our arsenal, that we only want conventional fight. For B enemy, if we attack him with Agni 3 or Agni 5, there is no doubt that it is a nuclear attack, because no one is going to through its weapon which is more costly that the target itself. And for the B enemy, which have better ABM and early warning system, and dangerous retaliation BM at their disposal, and the viable target away from shaurya range if you think that Land launch Shaurya could be useful, then Go Ahead. The only thing that could Deter enemy B, is the MIRV Agni V/VI, or the submarine launched Shaurya aka K-15. And don't bring top of the class Iskander in between which can defeat THAAD.

Now don't think this is prasun saying but this is Knight11 saying with its own miniature or ant size logic what ever you think loud and clear.

Pragati link from DRDO http://drdo.res.in:8080/alpha/drdo/English/product_adex_2013.pdf

I am giving you links and quotes of DRDO chief.

Did you noticed its the DRDO there is no mention of Agni and Prithvi, why ? Because they are not meant for the Export by the DRDO. and Pragati is the export name which was first showcase in Seoul Expo by DRDO who don't have any customer.

The link quotes Avinash Chander for Prahaar replacing Prithvi I. And that Prithvi I was being withdrawn from service. And I do not know reasoning.

According to Chander, the Prithvi I missiles withdrawn from service would be upgraded to be used for longer ranges.
For Shaurya, again I am quoting Avinash chander “the development phase is over and we are going in for production of this missile.”

It was in 2011 after its 3rd test news was
India's hypersonic missile, Shourya, was successfully test-fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur on the Orissa coast on Saturday.

The missile rose on the dot at 2.30 p.m. from a canister strapped on to the ground, climbed to an altitude of 40 km and sped at 7.5 Mach, that is, 7.5 times the speed of sound. It covered its full range of 700 km in 500 seconds. The surface-to-surface missile performed a manoeuvre in the closing stages of its flight and hit the impact point in the Bay of Bengal with an accuracy of a few metres. A gas generator located at the bottom of the canister pushed the missile out of the canister, then its first stage ignited and fell off, and the second stage went into action.

Shourya is the land-variant of India's K-15 missile which is launched under the water and is being fitted into the Navy's nuclear-powered submarine, Arihant.

This is the third flight of Shourya, all of which have been successful and this flight paves the way for its production and induction into the Services. It was designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). It can carry both nuclear and conventional warheads. The missile can be used by both the Navy and the Army because it could perform various roles.

Avinash Chander, Chief Controller (Missiles and Strategic Systems), DRDO, said, “the flight went off absolutely perfectly” and it met all the mission objectives. The missile was tested in its final configuration. The radars located at the ITR at Chandipur and at Damra on the Orissa coast, electro-optical and telemetry systems and two ships located near the impact point tracked the missile's entire flight. They reported on its “excellent performance.”

Mr. Avinash Chander said it was “an entirely atmospheric flight” at a height of 40 km. Since this was the third successful flight in a row, “the development phase is over and we are going in for production of this missile.”

DRDO officials estimate Shourya as “one of the top 10 missiles in the world' in its class with its high performance navigation and guidance systems, efficient propulsions systems, sophisticated control technologies and canisterised launch.

V.G. Sekaran, Director, Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Hyderabad, called it “a good flight” and added that “we achieved the full range for the ground launch configuration.” As per the mission requirements, the missile performed the terminal manoeuvres to achieve the impact point accuracy. The ASL had developed the rocket motors and the canister for the progamme. With the confidence provided by the third successful launch, its production would proceed as per plan, Dr. Sekaran added.

Research Centre at Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad, was the lead designer of the state-of-the-art navigation, control and guidance systems, according to RCI associate director S.K. Chaudhuri.

The missile can be launched from silos and canisters mounted on a truck and fixed on the ground. It can be easily moved around. A truck itself can become the launching platform.

According to W. Selvamurthy, Chief Controller (Life Sciences and International Relations), DRDO, Shourya had a big element of surprise because it could be kept in locations where the enemies would not be able to detect it. “Besides, it cannot be detected by satellite imaging. It will surprise our adversaries and strengthen our strategic defence,” Dr. Selvamurthy asserted.

Shourya's Programme Director A.K. Chakrabarti, who led the launch activities for the mission, said, “Our [Armed] Forces will get a very good system” with the Shourya because “we have perfected it, made it valid and increased its reliability.” Shourya's project director is A. Joseph.

The missile is ten metres long, 74 cm in diameter and weighs 6.2 tonnes. Its two stages use solid propellants.

With Shourya ready for production and its under-water cousin, K-15, already under production, the DRDO's sights are set on K-4 missile, which will be launched from a submarine. After K-4 is launched under water, it will knife up to the surface and can target places 3,000 km away. “Various systems of K-4 are under development,” a DRDO official said.

Now Did you hear anything else about the induction in the Active Service. Read my omega007 reply for what I think might be the reason.
Shaurya is the Land version of K-15

Last edited:
Agni 5 and probably Agni 4 too are not much effective onon Pakistan due to minimum range restrictions. Both will only hit Pakistan if fired from Indian east coast or south coast.

That's why we have Agni-2

India and tactical nukes are same as Fox and grapes. Since India can't have them,they pretend they don't want them.
About the "Diagrams " you posted, they are just that, just Diagrams.

What ever floats your boat man

I support Both of them

Only if the enemy have decent Air Defence system and early warning system. A modern Radar will try to guess the type of BM from its speed, Radar, and Altitude now if you are referring to 3D radar, which will give this Early warning and if the enemy state have a decent early warning system, then from its IR signature as well. My point is if the enemy is A state which don't have that early warning capability and rely on 2D long range radar, then what he will get the radar information is about the directional coordinate and the distance, not the altitude. And if the border distance between A and us is almost zero, then its very difficult to guess the type of BM, whether shaurya or Prithvi-1 and Prithvi-2. More ever if most of the target, is in the proximety of the much cheaper Prithvi series, and don't have affective ABM than what is the profit of using costly Shaurya. Shaurya if fired for short range, its tragectory will only mimic the parabollic Ballastic Missile tragectory.

And if the enemy is B which is very developed and world class early warning system, have satellite surveillance to detect and monitor the BM threat, and have data about our BM arsenal, than he is more likely be able to detect what we are shooting him at. But still we are relying on the enemy capability to detect our arsenal, that we only want conventional fight. For B enemy, if we attack him with Agni 3 or Agni 5, there is no doubt that it is a nuclear attack, because no one is going to through its weapon which is more costly that the target itself. And for the B enemy, which have better ABM and early warning system, and dangerous retaliation BM at their disposal, and the viable target away from shaurya range if you think that Land launch Shaurya could be useful, then Go Ahead. The only thing that could Deter enemy B, is the MIRV Agni V/VI, or the submarine launched Shaurya aka K-15. And don't bring top of the class Iskander in between which can defeat THAAD.

Now don't think this is prasun saying but this is Knight11 saying with its own miniature or ant size logic what ever you think loud and clear.

Did you noticed its the DRDO there is no mention of Agni and Prithvi, why ? Because they are not meant for the Export by the DRDO. and Pragati is the export name which was first showcase in Seoul Expo by DRDO who don't have any customer.

According to Chander, the Prithvi I missiles withdrawn from service would be upgraded to be used for longer ranges.

It was in 2011 after its 3rd test news was

Now Did you hear anything else about the induction in the Active Service. Read my omega007 reply for what I think might be the reason.
Shaurya is the Land version of K-15

You said there is no such things as Pragati and Prahaar IA is not interested. I gave you a DRDO link saying Pragati.

You said that Prahar is not inducted. I gave you a link by the DRDO chief, who then went on to become scientific advisor to the PM, that the Prithvi is being phased out and Prahaar is replacing it.

You said that Shourya proof. I gave you a quote from same chap testing is over and production is beginning. Why will production begin, if its not for induction? Also, Shaurya is operational. We just ordered a lot of propellants, which are used in both Agni and Shaurya. Now, you may want to believe it or not.

And please tell me what is active service? Let me inform you, if you mean mated with warheads, there is no missile in the Indian arsenal which has been currently mated with nuclear warheads, at present.

Now you may have hundreds of reasons and theories why IA is interested or not interested and so may PSK. But, I just gave you factual information from a person who was the DRDO chief, is known as the chief architect of the Agni programme and was the scientific advisor to the PM. Your call, whether you want to trust that or believe in theories of induction.

Last edited:
I support Both of them

Hm..................and what makes you think that we have got only one neighbor in our potential enemy list??Don't forget about the one on the North chuvak!!

That is Agni III not V.

Ms. Thomas said that while the two-stage Agni-III missile capable of hitting targets up to 3,000 km away weighed 50 tonnes, the team was able to bring down the weight of the missile to 22 tonnes.

“It saw several technological enhancements and we had to redesign the entire system, use maraging steel and composite motor rocket,” she said.

Oh yeah,right!!I mixed up!!But it would be safe to assume that the same weight reduction technique would also find its way to the A5 as well!!

Oh yeah,right!!I mixed up!!But it would be safe to assume that the same weight reduction technique would also find its way to the A5 as well!!

Let's hope so. By the way, had started a thread called Propellants. We are ordering a $hit load of propellants and something called plasticizer. Any idea what this is? Propellants

Let's hope so. By the way, had started a thread called Propellants. We are ordering a $hit load of propellants and something called plasticizer. Any idea what this is? Propellants

Yeah,I've heard of it.It's an additive substance,used to increase the fluidity of a substance,especially that of PVC and other types of plastics.

Dear sir, I am not PKS, any there is no need that we brother fight on this issue

You said there is no such things as Pragati and Prahaar IA is not interested. I gave you a DRDO link saying Pragati.

Pragati is the name given for the export version to the country which they will buy, but for India its only Prahar, which was developed by DRDO in response of NASR for IA for highly accurate, Quick reaction, tactical deployment, I lay emphasis on tactical deployment not strategic deployment , so there was never a plan for nuclear warhead, because we already have many platform to deliver that at such small distance. Now if any Pakistani can give me any link that NASR is inducted by the army, then there is the requirement of Prahar, otherwise, its a product of DRDO for export who don't have any customer at the moment, so there is no Pragati. Also for the range of 120 km upgraded Smerch with guided rockets are available which is cheaper to buy by the IA.

You said that Prahar is not inducted. I gave you a link by the DRDO chief, who then went on to become scientific advisor to the PM, that the Prithvi is being phased out and Prahaar is replacing it.

First Sir, with due respect Prithvi is a strategic missile under Indian Strategic force Command and not under Indian Army, then how can it be replaced with the battlefield ballastic missile. What DRDO chief said was that it will be replaced with more advanced more range Ballastic missile, which is Prithvi-3 which is solid fueled, and can be cannestarized for quick deployement and can be stored for long time, and have more range.

You said that Shourya proof. I gave you a quote from same chap testing is over and production is beginning. Why will production begin, if its not for induction? Also, Shaurya is operational. We just ordered a lot of propellants, which are used in both Agni and Shaurya. Now, you may want to believe it or not.

This is due to change in the requirement, The one in the EAST don't have any strategic target which could be targeted with this highly expensive hypersonic missile, and the one in the WEST don't have ABM or strong air defense for whom it is needed for the time being, so they are developed, and development continues, but will not be produced at the movement. Moreover its the Land version of our K-15, which is what is needed.

And please tell me what is active service? Let me inform you, if you mean mated with warheads, there is no missile in the Indian arsenal which has been currently mated with nuclear warheads, at present.

Now you may have hundreds of reasons and theories why IA is interested or not interested and so may PSK. But, I just gave you factual information from a person who was the DRDO chief, is known as the chief architect of the Agni programme and was the scientific advisor to the PM. Your call, whether you want to trust that or believe in theories of induction.

Active Service means they have been inducted by the service under which it is deployed, and personal being trained obviously by DRDO scientists and its command and control have been established. Sir, I don't know I am speaking factually and why are you taking by words as theories of PKS, and I am not deferring with any official and his statement, infact I am saying the same, but unfortunately you are understanding it wrong, that what I want to say. Otherwise you are free to believe what you think is right. I had only pointed out what I think is right.

No hard feeling End of the discussion

Back
Top Bottom