What's new

How many Pakistanis love to eat Masala Dosa?

sid426

Reaction score
Country
India
Is South Indian food available in Pakistan?

never seen any food spot here in Pak(probably there is one in Karachi) will love to try South Indian food one day,common Pakistanis generally know very little about South India.

Last edited:
What?You guys need to taste it for sure.I just came out of Sarvanna Bhawan in CP after having tummy full of Dosas.

Masaladosa has become something of a global Indian fast-food as wherever there is an Indian community to be found in the world (my uneducated guess would be that Indians are probably found in most of the world's 200 or so nations), masala dosa is not far behind.

The basis of the dish is the dosa, as the masala comes later. The dosa is basically a cross between a crepe, a pancake, a tortilla and a puri. But trust me, once you taste one, you will realize that it has a strong, distinctly flavoured identity all its own. The dosa batter is basically made up of rice and uraddaal, and the thin, crispy pancake is fried on a girdle and served with a vegetable or meat filling (the aforementioned masala), with chutneys and sauces on the side.

The first time I had tasted the mouth-watering dish was on a trip to India way back in the mists of time. A cousin ordered it from one of Ajmer's better known restaurants and by God, I didn't know what hit me. The taste has not left my mouth, despite over two decades having elapsed since that heavenly culinary encounter. I had tried it again much later at an Indian restaurant in the United States, but that was nothing to write home about. Here in the homeland, a few years ago I had chanced upon a pick-up truck parked near the Bahadurabad roundabout. The fact the guy was selling masala dosa out of his pick-up drew me closer and sure enough, once again, I was taken back about 20 years as the chap managed to make a respectable masala dosa.

But over the years I had lost track of the Bahadurabad masala dosa-wallah and since I rarely pass through that route, I can't say he still exists. However, a few days ago a friend mentioned how he had recently tasted a 'new' Indian dish called masala dosa and was quite impressed. Upon hearing the magic words I immediately asked him where. Having secured the coordinates, I and another intrepid adventurer set sail for the outer reaches of the Boating Basin.

Delectable dosa - - DAWN.COM

:what:

It's available at branches of Bombay Chowpatty if anyone's interested in trying it out

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom