What's new

How many languages you can speak?

I can speak Urdu, Potohari and English. I can understand Saraiki, Pahari and hindko(the one spoken in abbottabad) for the most part. I can partially understand Dogri, Kangri, and Punjabi (I don't understand its poetry like that of Bhulle Shah, and have trouble understanding it when spoken too fast). I can also somewhat understand Haryanvi considering its similarity with urdu and Punjabi.

PS: I can easily understand Lahori Punjabi, but have trouble communicating with people from rural Punjab for they talk too fast and their accent is quite thick. I have a lot of trouble making sense of its poetry.

URDU (READ , WRITE , CONVERSATION)
ENGLISH (READ , WRITE , CONVERSATION)
ARABIC (READ , WRITE , CONVERSATION)
PUNJABI (NATIVE)
PASHTO
A LITTLE BIT PERSIAN

OMG, Shamain don't you know every Indian has an Indian girlfriend? :eek: and most if them have "friends whose sister dated a Pakistani guy but soon broke up with him because of certain reasons which I can't tell to you...." :p. Well that's the most common excuse I have heard from them, especially those I met in U.K. But on the lighter note, you really ought to learn to swear in French, its an language built for swearing :D happy swearing....
Lolz @swearing in french . Really like french, wudnt mind learning some swearwords here n there. Lol

Don't be a Spelling Nazi! She was just trying to be funny. :-)
No i actually wrote no one as a compound word noone, so the grammar nazi mill started working overtime.

Fluent in English, Bahasa Melayu and Urdu

Understand very little:
Punjabi (from listening)
Mandarin and Cantonese (Self taught from Chinese drama and movies)
Arabic (took 2 semester course to A2)
German (Self taught to A1)
Italian (took 1 semester course of A1)...

Currently trying some Russian and Ukranian from a friend but nothing stays in the mind ...While he managed to learn more Urdu from me :(

Ahh my mistake then....The owner of the house I am renting is married to a Norwegian linguist she was telling me a bit about these...But as usual got mixed up :ashamed:
Ukranian and russain have similarities or v different? How was learning italian?

English, Hindi and some Tamil. I, however, cannot speak my own mother tongue which is Punjabi. Also, Sanskrit is one language I'm very eager to learn.
Tell m how much is the differnece between telugu ,tamil, malayalam nd kannada , and also i thought these langs are sanskrit too. Havent they originated from sanskrit?? How i sanskrit different from these.
Cuz ihad read hindu relgion books wee in dravadian tongues originally ..whats te difference?

Urdu, Saraiki, mother tongue is our own version of Saraiki influenced by Pashto, Angrezi, Punjabi and can understand Pothowhari easily, Hindi spoken+understanding and Pashto to some extent when spoken slowly, plus few words of Arabic and Farsi.

Can tell if someone is speaking German, French, Italian, Spanish or Hebrew but that's it for now.

I'm planning to learn as many as possible, one by one.
Listen so what is ur lang called. Sounds very unique to have mix of pushto and seraiki in it. Is i understood easily by only pushto or seraiki speakers? Thats interesting.

Punjabi (& I can understand quite a bit of Hindko,Pahari but not speak or converse in it), Urdu, English. I would really like to self learn French (already started), Spanish (too hard I heard :( ) and Japanese which I learnt a little in school but forgot most of it :P

Listen so what is ur lang called. Sounds very unique to have mix of pushto and seraiki in it. Is i understood easily by only pushto or seraiki speakers? Thats interesting.

It actually has some words of punjabi too, mostly understandable for Saraiki speakers except some words and Pushto almost got omitted since it's been at least 3-4 hundred years since settling in Punjab bordering Mianwali. Dialect is distinct and recognizable plus we use '' paish '' mostly where as '' zabar '' is used in Punjabi and Saraiki

How diff is kannada from tamil? Are they from same family?
yes,both belongs to southern Dravidian language group along with Malayalam..
Old Kannada is somewhat similar to Tamil,But the New Kannada is not much(yet you could see hundreds of common words)..
Malayalam and Tamil are almost similar,Actually Malayalam was a dialect of Tamil,later influenced by Sanskrit..Malayalam is just a cross between Ancient Tamil and Sanskrit..
Telegu belongs to South central Dravidian group and its very different from Tamil,Kannada and Malayalam...
Dravidian languages are not derived from Sanskrit, But(specially Malayalam,Kannada and Telegu)are highly influenced by Sanskrit..Rate of Sanskritization is very less in Tamil language..

Lolz @swearing in french . Really like french, wudnt mind learning some swearwords here n there. Lol

French swearing lesson number 1 (I only know one swear word in French so it might also be the last lesson).
Word: Pute.
Translation: Wh0r3
Sentence: Mon petite pute
Translation: My little wh0r3
Where I learnt this word from: (Although my mom knows French, I did not learn it from her) The internet.

Admins, please let this post stay......
@Gabriel92 You jealous of my French skill? 8-)
@Shamain Happy swearing.:cheers:

ریختہ کے تمہی استاد نہیں ہو غاؔلب

کہتے ہیں اگلے زمانہ میں کوئی میرؔ بهی تها

This will help:
Rexte ke tum hī ustād nahīṅ ho ğālib
Kihte haiṅ kisi zamāne meṅ koī mīr bhī thā

Translation

Rekhte( an old form of Urdu)
You are not the master of Rekthe Ghalib (Ghalib is a famous poet and writer)
They say that many years ago, there used to be a Mir (It could either mean Mirza Ghalib, or someone).

Geddit?

Munhanjo naalo Adecypher ahey :D

BTW right now at work and using PDF quite Clandestinely.. :D
May the force be with you.
Do you also have this weird problem where each generation speaks their own language....

Grandparents- retarded Heryana

Parents -
mom's side - Pure Urdu, Patohari and some Punjabi
Dad's side - Punjabi and Saraiki

Cousins all confused kitchri ....I swear if someone made up their own language we wouldnt notice!

Oh and let me not start on the Punjabi dialects each speaks!!!
No my problem was not as diverse as yours. In my case when i was young i got really annoyed by my mom and cousins speaking in Burushiski, really annoyed.
And at times my father speaking in Pashto with any other Pathan guy he sees, really annoyed. Then, gradually got the hang of things.
lolz kitchri.
Punjabi dialects, there are so many, all confusing.

I was expecting you in this thread :-D in previous thread i came to know that you know almost 7-8 languages
Btw on topic
Urdu
Pashtu
Punjabi
Hinko peshawari
Hinko pahari ( hazara division)
Angreejee :-D
Banochi
Khattaki
Afridi
Waziri
A little bit darri ( persian)
Bus :-D :-D
7-8 no, mostly i understand them, due to excess exposure, just like Pashto.

@Mr.Meap naaah not into swear words, iwas kidding when i said that.
I was expecting you in this thread :-D in previous thread i came to know that you know almost 7-8 languages
Btw on topic
Urdu
Pashtu
Punjabi
Hinko peshawari
Hinko pahari ( hazara division)
Angreejee :-D
Banochi
Khattaki
Afridi
Waziri
A little bit darri ( persian)
Bus :-D :-D
i had tagged wajsal in this thread.
Khattaki,afridi,waziri all are pushtos but with slightly diff dialect,isnt it?
Acha hindko kya hai jo punjabi ,sindhi ,pushto saray log hee yahan keh rahay hain unhain aati hai? It isa lang of originally which region?
They're too literal.
Google translate cud be too scary and literal
It is said this guy wrote lyrics in urdu and then used google translate

Except for Finnish, it's closer to Estonian and Karelian than it is to either Danish, Norwegian or Swedish. Iceland, also a Scandinavian nation, shares its linguistic commonality with Faroese, but only in written form. Spoken the two languages are not mutually intelligible.
Oh ok but faroese is a lang of which region as in u mentioned it quite frequently ,iactually googled. Ok listen i read its spoken on faroe island. Faroe island is under which natons control?

:o:The helvíti is this?

ریختہ کے تمہی استاد نہیں ہو غاؔلب

کہتے ہیں اگلے زمانہ میں کوئی میرؔ بهی تها

o_O

Ing of teacher you are not dominant

Mir was also called in earlier times
@IrbiS this came out sooo funnyyyyyy hahahahhahahaha i cant believe what i read. Hahahahha

Urdu and English, despite me having a Pashtun family, my parents never bothered teaching me pashto, but add Czech to that after a couple of years, cuz my brothers fiance is from Czech Republic
Thats going to be cool.

Well lets see .
English , Hindi , Urdu, Konkani , Marathi and Portuguese. Recently have started to learn Telegu .
Tell me maharashtra is a south indian state? Are marathas south indians? I always see this confusion? Also does marathi come under dravadian languages?
And arent marathi and konkani similar? What is haryanvi btw.

I really have 2 ask now many ppl are mentioning konkani
rvery indian has a Pakistani Gf and a Pak father...

sindhi sounds similiar to serieki not urdu..

Not all baluch know Pashto nor do pashtuns know balochi .. They are entirely different languages.. I know some Pashto because my fiancé is Pashtun and I've spent several years in Pashtun areas.. N have a truckload of Pashto speaking frnds..

Know some persian coz my u uncles (chacha) wife is Iranian..

Achaaaaa. Actually weirdly ihad noticed many pashtoons claiming to know balochi and similarly many balochi claiming 2 know pushto.i thought then maybe in balochistan both ethncities mashaAllah coexist so perhaps they learn from each other. Thats y i had asked.

yes,both belongs to southern Dravidian language group along with Malayalam..
Old Kannada is somewhat similar to Tamil,But the New Kannada is not much(yet you could see hundreds of common words)..
Malayalam and Tamil are almost similar,Actually Malayalam was a dialect of Tamil,later influenced by Sanskrit..Malayalam is just a cross between Ancient Tamil and Sanskrit..
Telegu belongs to South central Dravidian group and its very different from Tamil,Kannada and Malayalam...
Dravidian languages are not derived from Sanskrit, But(specially Malayalam,Kannada and Telegu)are highly influenced by Sanskrit..Rate of Sanskritization is very less in Tamil language..
Thats a nice reply, so marathi is also like telegu and tamil etc? And canu specifically name the state or region where telegu is spoken.

But then if sanskrit is different from dravadian tongues then why is it said that veda books are in sanskrit and hindusim was religion of dravadians? Then shudnt veda books be in dravadian languages too?

@Shamain sister , i no onle odia . no englis . i iliterate . @levina sister , tich mi englis.
I dont know abt odia ? Is it a language?

You're a south Indian, yet claim to be a "scion of Indus". Do you know how far Indus is from your homeland?
Hahah.shud be an extent to stealing someones history.

I can speak Urdu, Potohari and English. I can understand Saraiki, Pahari and hindko(the one spoken in abbottabad) for the most part. I can partially understand Dogri, Kangri, and Punjabi (I don't understand its poetry like that of Bhulle Shah, and have trouble understanding it when spoken too fast). I can also somewhat understand Haryanvi considering its similarity with urdu and Punjabi.

PS: I can easily understand Lahori Punjabi, but have trouble communicating with people from rural Punjab for they talk too fast and their accent is quite thick. I have a lot of trouble making sense of its poetry.
Ap mujhay yeh bata dain bas simple words may seraiki is simiar to punjabi? And seraiki pakistan kay kis region may boli jaati hai and also what is hindko ,fro where it came,is it also similar to punjabi,potohari?

Back
Top Bottom