What's new

How many F-16s VS F/A-22 fighter

Well it is not duty of F22 to stay in air when it's missile are finished.It can simply bug out and go home?It tells you a lot about F22 when people say it will be shot down when its missiles are used.Besides F22 also have excellent maneuverability (super agility) so even in dogfights it should not have a problem with its gun.F22 can come shot down 5-7 enemy jets then go back to their air base load up again take off.I think people are finding it as a excuse to badmouth F22.Every jet will be a easy kill for enemy if its running out of ammo but on the other hand enemy wont be able to detect F22.F22 pilot can simply supercruise at super sonic speed and leave the combat area quickly without burning the same level of fuel other jet would burn in super sonic speed.

to add to your point F-22 can also decide to stay there and relay the target information and co-ordinates to nearby other fighters or missile trucks to engage the incoming force while still remaining undetected. logically if we have a squadron of Raps stationed somewhere and a flight of lets say 5 Raptors patrolling. This flight alonw can engage atleast 20 incoming F-16s ( 4 AMRAAMs a piece).lets say they do this and there are 10 hits (at 50%).These raps stay quite and do not decide to engage at WVR, the base may scramble another flight of 5, and at least 3 more flights after that roughly translating into 100 AMRAAM shots without detection. so a squadron of F-22s can engage as many as 100 F-16s at long range. So F-22 will have an unfair advantage at every moment of engagement. Someone in History channel's dogfights series rightly said
There are two types of fighters in modern era of combat, stealth fighter and targets

here is how raptors will fight in future
you can also see the other seven parts if you want

Last edited by a moderator:
5 F 16 block 52 capable fighter pilots can easily take down F 22 equally good fighter pilot but in first place F 16 has to lock on F 22 which is immpossible only gun in which F 16 can take down F 22

You gotta ask USAF if Vipers can play dirty on F-22, only they know the lil secret we don't know. For now F-22 is like Black Mamba.

Incase my friends don't know about Black Mamba here read this:
A highly venomous southern African mamba dreaded because of its quickness and readiness to bite.

its pointless to talk! i believe it will be seen in real war and real opponent force! Until then f22 has edge but real senario will or might change the minds of people...

I think here some concepts of stealth are misleading or just misunderstood. Like SnIPeR Xr said, stealth does not make an aircraft disappear, it reduces the range at which it can be detected. Suppose an ordinary aircraft can be detected at 150 km, a F-22 might be detectable at 10 km due to it's stealth. So if a group of F-16 pilots are capable of getting into that range, the factor of stealth will be eliminated. As far as missiles being useless against a Raptor is concerned, I think I should remind everyone that an F-16 did take out a Raptor with a missile during an exercise. I have posted the link before in the forum somewhere. And let us not speculate that if a Raptor has 6 AA missiles, it will get 6 kills. There is no missile in the world that has a 100% kill guarantee. The F-16 pilot will not simply sit there and wait for his fate. Every modern fighter plane has proximity warning systems including the F-16. It also depends if the missile is aproaching head-on or from an obscure angle. Also in a cannons-only dog fight, of course the Raptor has super agility, but it can aim and shoot at only the one target it is pointed at. If 2 F-16 are lining up for a cannon strike, the F-22 might only manage to shoot at one F-16 while getting shot at by the other. So, if you have to pit the aircrafts against each other and not some secret missile they might be carrying, I'd say 6 F-16s blk 52+ should be able to handle a F-22 with atleast one Viper coming out alive, if both are armed with AMRAAMs and Sidewinders.

Well said General... I was thinking on similar lines... The Raptor no doubt is a beautiful fighter but sometimes I feel that its abilities are way too hyped up... Infact one of the things in my mind was numbers... how about pitting one F22 against 20 F16s...

Honestly on a lighter part the only way i believe a F-16 can take F-22 is when F-22 is in the base and the enemy F-16 is able to fly over the base :cheers:

.. I am new to PDF.. following this forum for more than 3 years.. i am not able to create a thread in members introduction area.. so dont know how to introduce my self

Back
Top Bottom