What's new

How many F-16s VS F/A-22 fighter

illuzioN

Reaction score
Hi guys,

In a worst cast scenario, how many F16s will it take to take down a F22?

thx!

Hi guys,

In a worst cast scenario, how many F16s will it take to take down a F22?

thx!

Too many to be for it to be an effective option effective.:smokin:
8 missiles so 8 planes down + number of planes that can be shot down with 480 rounds .
a min of 10 F-16 per F-22:azn:
Still no guarantee of getting the F-22:azn:

The only chance that the F-16 really has is probably WVR dogfights ( mean the type involving guns, which is not seeing very often these days). Even then the F-22 has the advantage of superior agility due to the use of TVC.

The F-16 might perform better close-in against the F-35.

No matter how many F-16's you put in the Air, the F-22 pilot always has the initiative of when to attack , if to attack and how to attack.
The only time the F-22 can be counter attacked(a very slim chance) is when the F-22 decides to engage it's targets.

The only way you can effectily defeat the F-22 , with Number rather than quality is.

When the F-22 runs out of missiles, It has to retreat.
IF you still had enough F-16's you could send them to every airbase in the nearby region.
Doing so you can deny the F-22 a chance to refuel and re-arm.
F-22 will fall out of the sky eventually after that. lol

But seriously

I would assume you would need almost an entire squadron of F-16's to defeat an F-22. Even then At lest 50% attrition is almost confirmed. Also this would only work with proper EW suits to defend against BVR missiles.

F-22's will only come into range of detection , when it exhausts its BVR missiles. Or it might just retreat if the situation is not in its favor.

Your question is very similar to asking how many marines it takes to kill a Single elite sniper .

It's hard to say and any answer given is based on assumptions that may or may not be correct

Yes this deadly combination can do it.

The-Chase--159.jpg

Last edited:
I think F-16 and f-35 will be on to one ratio. But f-16 to f-22 might be 1-2 ratio.

lol it reminds me of those rude jokes about how many Blondes would it take to...
how many Irish would it take to and all that
this topic by itself is funny and should be moved to humour section

but if I do have to answer then my answer is .. it will take as long as F22 has fuel to fly. number of F16s is irrelevent

F-22 got 6 BVR and 2 WVR missiles. Consider that it manages to shoot down 3-4 F-16s with it's 6 BVR missiles and 2 F-16 with it's 2 WVR missiles and F-22 jams/evades all of F-16's missiles. Now F-22 is down to guns, and if the F-16 pilots are skilled enough then 2 of them could take out an F-22 with a combination of guns and WVR missiles. So maybe 7-8 should be enough.

Last edited:
lol it reminds me of those rude jokes about how many Blondes would it take to...
how many Irish would it take to and all that
this topic by itself is funny and should be moved to humour section

but if I do have to answer then my answer is .. it will take as long as F22 has fuel to fly. number of F16s is irrelevent

Care to elaborate???

F-22 can only carry 6 missiles(4BVR,2WVR) in its internal weapon bay.

let say 7-8 F-16s are heading towards a Raptor.First Raptor will fire 4 Amraams towards 4 F-16s.Then to destroy others it has to come in close ranges so after coming in close range Let say it has destroyed two more F-16s.Now Raptors Internal bay is empty what it will do???

Remember at close ranges stealth can be unvieled.Stealth doesn't mean that an Aircraft cannot be detected by other aircraft.Its Just the range which varies.Stealth doesn't make a aircraft disappeard like a ghost on Radar.Its just the matter of range,Depends upon how low observable Target is.

So suppose if the remaining 1 or 2 F-16's has detected the Raptor(Empty with Missiles) at close ranges then they can get a lock on Raptor.
And unlike Raptor F-16s can carry much more weaponry than Raptor.

The scenario you have said can be possible if Raptor carries the Amraams on External Stores.But that of course will not make it stealthy & the whole game will change.

Last edited:
New block F16 and F35 both carry same BVR system. But some of characteristics are better then new block of F16, like range and load etc etc..
But its better to start such topics in Air Force Question Answer section.

Back
Top Bottom