What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you guys want pat on the back from real bengalis :-D

Skipped this one.

Are you refering to real Bengalis as in
the ones who imitate moves by Queen Elizabeth
or the "Lungi urano" ones with fists always
towards the sky?

Would take the Latter any day ;

I am just wondering what Indian Bengali will say after 10 to 15 years when Insha'Allah Bangladesh will have better living standard India?

Nothing much. They will be busy running past the Bangladesh border guards, jumping Bangladeshi fences, and swimming across rivers to get into Bangladesh.

Throughput may be slower; there may be traffic jams due to the press of returning Bangladeshis.

Nothing much. They will be busy running past the Bangladesh border guards, jumping Bangladeshi fences, and swimming across rivers to get into Bangladesh.

Throughput may be slower; there may be traffic jams due to the press of returning Bangladeshis.

Don't we are building Padma bridge and many flyovers for that :lol:.

Skipped this one.

towards the sky?

Who imitates moves by Elizabeth? We only move in the tunes of Bappi da! *gutur gutur* :chilli:

Don't we are building Padma bridge and many flyovers for that :lol:.

For returning Bangladeshis?

Has anyone bothered to tell the poor things that they are supposed to be returning? At the moment, as you may or may not have noticed, they are flooding in the opposite direction; not having the Padma bridge and many flyovers has not noticeably slowed them down.

Skipped this one.

towards the sky?

You call it a fist these days, do you?

For returning Bangladeshis?

Has anyone bothered to tell the poor things that they are supposed to be returning? At the moment, as you may or may not have noticed, they are flooding in the opposite direction; not having the Padma bridge and many flyovers has not noticeably slowed them down.

You call it a fist these days, do you?

The famous illegal Bangladeshi myth again, that's what you call poor Indian Muslim Bengali these days.

He knows actually!!! And we use ' pani ' for warter. Not Jol. Pani is a persian word.

Is it? I thought persian word for Water was aab? I think Paani is just a Hindi/Punjabi word.
@Joe Shearer any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
The famous illegal Bangladeshi myth again, that's what you call poor Indian Muslim Bengali these days.

Don't kid yourself. It's a reality of daily life.

1. Outside my house in Ballygunge, on a hot summer's day last summer, the labourers were speaking a broad Bangal accent.
2. Travelling by an incredible series of connections through dusty towns and villages to Sholapur from Pune, I noticed a small group of four huddled together, making minimal responses to the demands of conductors and every aggressive passenger who wanted extra space. They quite clearly were intent on not opening their mouths, and it all came together when we got down at a terminus, and one of them blurted out,"Aar kotokkhon lagbo, shara dintai to baase katlo!"
3. My brother did his rural service in Murshidabad, and personally witnessed the flood of Bangladeshis, and the system that took care of them, got them documentation, voters' IDs and ration cards, and smoothly integrated them into daily life.

How I wish it were a myth. It's a nightmare.

Is it? I though persian word for Water was aab? I think Paani is just a Hindi/Punjabi word.
@Joe Shearer any idea?

That's what I know.

Don't pay attention to these Persian, Afghan and Turkish claims. All of them are fair-skinned, or were, just a generation or twelve ago, and all came from central Asia. So they don't know Bengali words, and use Hindi words instead, being essentially migrants - paani, khaana, khalla, chiraag, instead of jol, khaabar, Pishi or deep. It's fun watching them try to adapt when they come across and try to pass off as locals.

There are exceptions, of course, like the Bihari who is part of the lunatic fringe on PDF, and barely knows a smattering of Bengali. He covers it up as being due to religious reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't kid yourself. It's a reality of daily life.

1. Outside my house in Ballygunge, on a hot summer's day last summer, the labourers were speaking a broad Bangal accent.
2. Travelling by an incredible series of connections through dusty towns and villages to Sholapur from Pune, I noticed a small group of four huddled together, making minimal responses to the demands of conductors and every aggressive passenger who wanted extra space. They quite clearly were intent on not opening their mouths, and it all came together when we got down at a terminus, and one of them blurted out,"Aar kotokkhon lagbo, shara dintai to baase katlo!"
3. My brother did his rural service in Murshidabad, and personally witnessed the flood of Bangladeshis, and the system that took care of them, got them documentation, voters' IDs and ration cards, and smoothly integrated them into daily life.

How I wish it were a myth. It's a nightmare.

Murshidabad is a Muslim majority district and all Muslim Bengali didn't move to Bangladesh you know. 25% of west Bengal population is Muslim.

Murshidabad is a Muslim majority district and all Muslim Bengali didn't move to Bangladesh you know.

In case you haven't yet noticed, there's a difference in the way we speak the language. It is easy to spot, from miles away.

That's what I know.

Don't pay attention to these Persian, Afghan and Turkish claims. All of them are fair-skinned, or were, just a generation or twelve ago, and all came from central Asia. So they don't know Bengali words, and use Hindi words instead, being essentially migrants - paani, khaana, khalla, chiraag, instead of jol, khaabar, Pishi or deep. It's fun watching them try to adapt when they come across and try to pass off as locals.

There are exceptions, of course, like the Bihari who is part of the lunatic fringe on PDF, and barely knows a smattering of Bengali. He covers it up as being due to religious reasons.

Unfortunately for you Bangladesh represent Bengali all over the world and except for few individual, people deeply care about Bangla in Bangladesh. There are few difference in the selection of word as you mention but its limited that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom