What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. :no:

Though I guess that the Kukri is a type of knife?

Uh, yes, like the Mustang was a kind of fighter, and the Bentley a kind of car.

It's a utility knife used by Gorkhas, for peaceful and martial uses alike. If you look at it, it clearly started life as a sacrificial weapon, and as a machete for use in the thick Nepal terai. The fierce valour of the Gorkhas made it a cult weapon among soldiers.

It's properly called a Khukri, although I have heard Gorkhas from Khas Nepal pronouncing it 'Khukuri'. They speak a slightly different kind of Gorkhali from the kind I do.

Here is a beautiful specimen. My own Khukri is a very plain version, with a plain black handle, but who wouldn't want one like the picture?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_WW0YcEqBg0/TiXLyy3GuJI/AAAAAAAAAGo/TgMVROEPwpo/s1600/528a+kukri.jpg

Uh, yes, like the Mustang was a kind of fighter, and the Bentley a kind of car.

It's a utility knife used by Gorkhas, for peaceful and martial uses alike. If you look at it, it clearly started life as a sacrificial weapon, and as a machete for use in the thick Nepal terai. The fierce valour of the Gorkhas made it a cult weapon among soldiers.

It's properly called a Khukri, although I have heard Gorkhas from Khas Nepal pronouncing it 'Khukuri'. They speak a slightly different kind of Gorkhali from the kind I do.

Here is a beautiful specimen. My own Khukri is a very plain version, with a plain black handle, but who wouldn't want one like the picture?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_WW0YcEqBg0/TiXLyy3GuJI/AAAAAAAAAGo/TgMVROEPwpo/s1600/528a+kukri.jpg

That's a really nice knife. :tup:

I heard about Kukris because a lot of rich businesspeople in Hong Kong like to hire Gurkhas as their bodyguards.

What I heard is that once a Gurkha draws the Kukri, they have to cut themselves (draw blood) before they can put it back in the sheath. Though I guess that might just be an urban legend.

I would not like West Bengal to secede from India.....but I definitely want swaraj/self rule..........all subjects in union list of India should be transferred to state list except defense, external affairs and rivers.......it should be completely federal, not quasi -federal sh!t we have now....... I'm for complete self rule of not only West Bengal but every other state.......Governance is better delivered when divided into small regions......and defense is better served when the armed forces r united.....

Today, much of mineral deposits whether be it coal or iron or aluminium are concentrated around the eastern part of India, around chhota nagpur plateau......The eastern region also holds most fertile land in whole of india for its Gangetic plains......yet, the eastern part(Bihar, Bengal, Jharkhand & Orissa) is one of the poorest states in whole of India........and still we see major projects of central govt. like DRDO, ISRO, Medical colleges, Research institutes go to goes to South India(Andhra, Karnataka), west - Mumbai, Pune etc and North - Gurgaon, Noida, Delhi etc. Today the W.B govt. gets back only 34% of what it earns from W.B.....the remaining 66% is spent else where through projects of planning commission(except defense and few other).....and there has been hardly any central govt. project in W.B, Bihar, Orissa & Jharkhand.....

Subsequent regimes in W.B (communists, and now TMC) speak of how our state has been deprived of what is rightfully ours.....so is the case with Bihar & Orissa. Bcoz there is such feeling among the public. Those who do not agree with this and can do some research of how many central govt. funded research institutes, medical colleges, are there in which part of the country.....

Also, I do not like the attitudes North Indians have towards Bengalis & Assamese......I have travelled many parts of India for my job and have often been subject to jeering for being a bong and for my pronunciation.........I have also seen South Indians facing same behaiviour and attitudes by North & West Indians........and the same case with north-eastern people who r called chinks( chinese) for their ethnicity.

These r some problems we Bengalis face in "united" India.

South India are fiercer than north-eastern people so major projects of central govt. like DRDO, ISRO, Medical colleges, Research institutes established in South India to keep them happy. On the hand, Delhi knows Bengali "Bhodrolok" won't do much even if they receive less project. So, more project for south India :lol:.

Well he is not talking about more countries but more federalism with goi controlling only army and foreign affairs. There are both pros and cons of the proposal. Personally I feel blaming the center has been a scapegoat for communist and now mamata, but off course regionalism and nepotism run amok in goi. Bengalis can be as regionalist as any other ethnicity of India, but they don't get to be central minister often because of mamata and commie antics.

South India are fiercer than north-eastern people so major projects of central govt. like DRDO, ISRO, Medical colleges, Research institutes established in South India to keep them happy. On the hand, Delhi knows Bengali "Bhodrolok" won't do much even if they receive less project. So, more project for south India :lol:.

Sad but true that it takes a bloody ruckus or political blackmailing to make the juggernaut of goi to move.

Anyway Calcutta has its fair share of institutions, its more of a question of restoring them to past glory.

That's a really nice knife. :tup:

I heard about Kukris because a lot of rich businesspeople in Hong Kong like to hire Gurkhas as their bodyguards.

What I heard is that once a Gurkha draws the Kukri, they have to cut themselves (draw blood) before they can put it back in the sheath. Though I guess that might just be an urban legend.

Kind of. More like a superstition; they don't just use the Khukri for fighting, and you can guess how ridiculous it would be to draw blood when all they need to do is to hack a path through thick undergrowth (it gets very thick in the jungle). Heck, it can be used to chop wood, to kill chickens for the pot, for anything where a knife might be used.

BUT they don't draw it and brandish it about in a confrontation. If they draw it, it's serious. Dead serious.

About Gorkha guards: earlier they had reputations like Swiss Guards, incorruptible and loyal to the death. Times change, unhappily, and there have been incidents and bad ones at that. OTOH, there are hillmen of a vaguely Mongoloid appearance who pass off as Gorkhas. And, of course, there are random Paharis. A Gorkha is still a rich man's ultimate security. In any country in the world.

Kind of. More like a superstition; they don't just use the Khukri for fighting, and you can guess how ridiculous it would be to draw blood when all they need to do is to hack a path through thick undergrowth (it gets very thick in the jungle). Heck, it can be used to chop wood, to kill chickens for the pot, for anything where a knife might be used.

BUT they don't draw it and brandish it about in a confrontation. If they draw it, it's serious. Dead serious.

About Gorkha guards: earlier they had reputations like Swiss Guards, incorruptible and loyal to the death. Times change, unhappily, and there have been incidents and bad ones at that. OTOH, there are hillmen of a vaguely Mongoloid appearance who pass off as Gorkhas. And, of course, there are random Paharis. A Gorkha is still a rich man's ultimate security. In any country in the world.

You reminded me of Field marshal Manekshaw's famous words,"If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha".

the Gurkhas used to call him Shyam Bahadur in his honour.

The only memory of any gurkha I have is some random nepali looking bloke(different one each time) asking us to pay up for his security duty which he was never asked for..

dada kheye esechen na bari jeye khaben............................!

RamnayanChoudhuryToonBanerjee.jpg
na dada ami bari theke kheyei eshechi karon ami jetuku apnader chini apnara 1 glass jol o amay jeche khete deben na,khaoa to onek durer kotha:azn:

What am I wrong abt ??, that freight equalization policy(Mashul Samikaran Niti) brought on by that MF nehru ruined our industry........Howrah, which was once called the Shefield of India were in shambles for this policy............mineral transportation was subsidized, but then, what abt cotton produced in Gujarat and Maharastra ??? That should have been subsidized too for the whole country....we too had few cotton mills.....why dint they do that ???

And do not blame only the communists for the poor condition of W.Bengal today. There were no communist in Bihar, or in Orissa, or in Jharkhand....why then r their condition as pathetic as Bengal, today ???

Vajrajogini is Atish Dipankar's home town and next door to our ancestral village. I borrowed the name for my nick in PTH.

Yeah, Atish Dipankar is from that village Vajrajogini.......I heard a lot abt him.....

BTW.......what is "PTH"....???

What am I wrong abt ??, that freight equalization policy(Mashul Samikaran Niti) brought on by that MF nehru ruined our industry........Howrah, which was once called the Shefield of India were in shambles for this policy............mineral transportation was subsidized, but then, what abt cotton produced in Gujarat and Maharastra ??? That should have been subsidized too for the whole country....we too had few cotton mills.....why dint they do that ???

And do not blame only the communists for the poor condition of W.Bengal today. There were no communist in Bihar, or in Orissa, or in Jharkhand....why then r their condition as pathetic as Bengal, today ???

I agree the damage done by Freight equalization policy was huge and cannot be compensated by any small time period.But,Why blame just Freight equalization policy.Whole Nehru's mixed economic policy was a disaster.It destroyed the prospect of development of new industries hampered the growth of old one.Whole country was thoroughly Fu**** by that Licence Raj regime.

I agree the damage done by Freight equalization policy was huge and cannot be compensated by any small time period.But,Why blame just Freight equalization policy.Whole Nehru's mixed economic policy was a disaster.It destroyed the prospect of development of new industries hampered the growth of old one.Whole country was thoroughly Fu**** by that Licence Raj regime.

True what you say.

Though, the one key achievement that Nehru did achieve was in education for Indians. And that explains a quite a lot in India's world-class IT industry today.

Huh! How many of you have actually been to the Coffee House for an adda?

We've been discussing this long how we frequently can visit the Coffee House for an adda without any bar ;) ?

Vajrajogini is Atish Dipankar's home town and next door to our ancestral village. I borrowed the name for my nick in PTH.

You've your root at my maternal origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom