What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed I do :P

It has evolved a long way.

I never thought i will find any D&D fan in Bangladesh. Which campaign you like most? Have you read any D&D novels?

@asad71 : Sir aap kuch nahin kahein geiii ? :what:

1. How Indian Benglees feel themselves is well chronicled by Ranjit Roy in his The Agony of West Bengal. Roy was a very senior journalist having worked in top positions in The Anandabazar Patrika,Hindustan Standard, Jugantar, The Statesman. Associated Press of India and Reuters.Pashchimbangla is truly Indian Occupied Bengal (IOB). Except for the family from Barisal, E Bengal who were making Duckback goods, there is no Bengalee having made it good in commerce and industry. Dr Chatterjee of Chatterjee International Center was coming up till he got roped into the Calcutta Metro. Eventually he had to commit suicide.

2. Nehru used to dislike Bengal and Bengalees. He had proposed amalgamating IOB with Bihar. However, the powerful CM Dr Sen was able to thwart this. The reality of IOB now is that culturally it has been overtaken by the Hindi elements. In the elite / affluent parts of any city or town in IOB people speak Hindi. In fact IOB now has four languages - English, Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.

3. In 1971 the spontaneous support we had received was limited to IOB and Bengalee dominated Tripura. All our refugee camps were located in these states as others were not so inviting. The major political pressure on Indira to help us was from IOB. There is no doubt that IOB felt that after BD was independent the next natural step would be for IOB to unite with BD.

4. To thank the people of IOB Sheikh had visited Calcutta after returning home. The gathering to hear him at the Maidan has been the largest ever. Indira was alarmed to see his popularity which was giving rise to Bengalee nationalism afresh. Already most houses in IOB carried portraits of Sheikh displayed like a deity. Cabs carried a little portrait of Sheikh with a little light underneath as if he was a saint. The common man in IOB used to feel that Sheikh was working at the direction of Netaji Subash who was living in a Himalayan cave.

5. No wonder that India withdrew its security coverage over Sheikh when the CIA coup was mounted. The personal security and the security of the govt till then was the responsibility of India.

6. Bengalees in IOB are a unhappy lot. The elite or affluent well to do mostly relocate elsewhere in India. As such there are huge Bengalee colonies in all major cities. Others migrate to the West. Given an opportunity IOB would secede from India and come to some sort of union with BD. However, historically IOB people, who are mostly low cast Hindus, have been a timid lot not fond of adventure. With pressure mounting from non-Bengalee cultures this may change. And the Muslims in IOB are fast emerging as a powerful lot with their demographic ascendency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought i will find any D&D fan in Bangladesh. Which campaign you like most? Have you read any D&D novels?

I didn't read any D&D novels to be honest, nor played the board game.

In fact, games like World of Warcraft evolved from Dungeons & Dragons. It is the holy grail of role-playing games that are today. That is how I came to find out.

I admit, I'm a minority :D

1. How Indian Benglees feel themselves is well chronicled by Ranjit Roy in his The Agony of West Bengal. Roy was a very senior journalist having worked in top positions in The Anandabazar Patrika,Hindustan Standard, Jugantar, The Statesman. Associated Press of India and Reuters.Pashchimbangla is truly Indian Occupied Bengal (IOB). Except for the family from Barisal, E Bengal who were making Duckback goods, there is no Bengalee having made it good in commerce and industry. Dr Chatterjee of Chatterjee International Center was coming up till he got roped into the Calcutta Metro. Eventually he had to commit suicide.

2. Nehru used to dislike Bengal and Bengalees. He had proposed amalgamating IOB with Bihar. However, the powerful CM Dr Sen was able to thwart this. The reality of IOB now is that culturally it has been overtaken by the Hindi elements. In the elite / affluent parts of any city or town in IOB people speak Hindi. In fact IOB now has four languages - English, Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.

3. In 1971 the spontaneous support we had received was limited to IOB and Bengalee dominated Tripura. All our refugee camps were located in these states as others were not so inviting. The major political pressure on Indira to help us was from IOB. There is no doubt that IOB felt that after BD was independent the next natural step would be for IOB to unite with BD.

4. To thank the people of IOB Sheikh had visited Calcutta after returning home. The gathering to hear him at the Maidan has been the largest ever. Indira was alarmed to see his popularity which was giving rise to Bengalee nationalism afresh. Already most houses in IOB carried portraits of Sheikh displayed like a deity. Cabs carried a little portrait of Sheikh with a little light underneath as if he was a saint. The common man in IOB used to feel that Sheikh was working at the direction of Netaji Subash who was living in a Himalayan cave.

5. No wonder that India withdrew its security coverage over Sheikh when the CIA coup was mounted. The personal security and the security of the govt till then was the responsibility of India.

6. Bengalees in IOB are a unhappy lot. The elite or affluent well to do mostly relocate elsewhere in India. As such there are huge Bengalee colonies in all major cities. Others migrate to the West. Given an opportunity IOB would secede from India and come to some sort of union with BD. However, historically IOB people, who are mostly low cast Hindus, have been a timid lot not fond of adventure. With pressure mounting from non-Bengalee cultures this may change. And the Muslims in IOB are fast emerging as a powerful lot with their demographic ascendency.

The first para and the last could do with some surgery; they contain too much mawkish emotion. The others are very accurate.

I could cite a large number of Bengali entrepreneurs, some of whom are still flourishing, but that would not suit the vision of the post being replied, and any contrary input is likely to be ignored. The fact is, after Bengalis realized that they could lead a very cultured and self-indulgent life as zamindars, they abandoned commerce and trade, and took to living as rentiers. The rapid transition from Dwarkanath to Rabindranath through Debendranath is an illustration. It was an open invitation to the trading community of northern India to flood in, and they did. They came with very little, but were determined, hard-working and helped each other. Even today, new ventures are not funded by the promoter's own funds, which may or may not be adequate for the purpose, but by the common funds available for use by members of that sub-set.

When the British left Calcutta, still the centre of their holdings in India, they left slowly from 1945 to 1965, then very rapidly, almost precipitately, from 1965 to 1975 or thereabouts, north and west Indian entrepreneurs in the making had a field day. They snapped up British businesses left, right and centre. So what happened to the others? Why not the Bengalis themselves? After all, they had the inner track, being employees and trusted advisors in those precise companies. Why did they continue as employees and trusted advisors, but now of other Indians, of Marwaris and Punjabis?

For them, history of Bangladesh starts from 1971. Not before that, and it is that which is very crucial to know about. No Jinnah, no East Pakistan, and no Bangladesh.

Hell, they don't even know much post 71' :rofl:

To answer your question:
e6d40d7a.jpg

There, I broadened your horizons :)

What an idiotic post. Indian bengalis, at least the bhadrolok kinds have rather good world view and very informed. Its another matter that they tend to do nothing about it expect for conjuring up little twisters in teacups.

Beatles in Calcutta police traffic signal.

16427_10151739911022787_627295538_n.jpg

Though it's the 1st time I'm hearing this fact, probably the reason behind this is the indices (life expectancy, HDI etc. ) where both Pakistan and india lag behind BD. So, who relates sub continent to only india and Pakistan thinks that these two are currently band of brothers polishing rifles all the day pointing to each other standing behind BD...why to include BD with these lower standard?

Your hdi is 0.5, even Bihar has higher hdi than you, both west Bengal and Tripura have hdi over 6.5.

Why is this thead in the Bangladesh bit of the forum. What Indians think about are their own business. It's entirely irrelevant to Bangladesh. With respect of india Bangladesh need only understand the calculus in Delhi, not an irrelevant bit of it that still hankering after past glories.

They get surprised by our spending nature.

(I have no proof, go Kolkata, spend a lot and enjoy their surprise)

The amount of garbage you guys can spill out is just mind boggling. There are places in Calcutta you won't afford to step in.

Pala Empire that Ruled India from Gaur... Together we Bengalis are Mighty in South Asia :devil:

Devapala.jpg

lets see your ideology @kobiraaz,

according to you: in Bangladesh who are hindu , are basically indian even though there are Bengali. you believe only Muslims can be bangladeshi. ( you have itchy with other religions)
now lets talk about the picture.
1. now you asking bangla speaking people to join bangladesh (west Bengal and others, among them majority are hindu)
2. now you are giving up Chittagong also.
3. Most important: you are giving reference of Buddhist empire.

conclusion: how controversial character you are ... :coffee:

to the questioner: indian bengli thinks we are bangladeshi who lives in neighbor country and we have some common in culture. ( simple answer :D)

I am an Indian Bengali.
I think the Bangladeshis are all nice folks.
Ofcourse we face this problem of immigration from time to time.But then,Bangladesh is developing pretty fast,faster than ever and along with development,this issue will gradually go down.
We share a common language,common food habits,common culture.Considering the present conditions,may be we will never be able to dissolve the borders and re-unite,but we can surely work together in great many ways that can bring development,peace and prosperity to the region.

tagore is a rockstar in this part of the world, only jamaatis dislike him. We consider him better than willy shakespeare

You went to English medium school and I believe your Bangla is very poor. I doubt you know anything about Tagore literature. So stop pretending to be something you are not. It's OK to dislike Tagore. Did you know Tagore hate your Muslim forefather? Tumader koon thanda hoye geche. :disagree:

No, views of few members like Al Zakir or something and few members. Even i was shocked at their views.

I am not fond of Bangla literature becuse of Hindu influence. However I like Islamic poem writen by Kazi Najrul Islam. As a Muslim I am sticking to Islamic poet Allama Iqbal. His writing suit my personality. Nothing personal. Move on please.

Your hdi is 0.5, even Bihar has higher hdi than you, both west Bengal and Tripura have hdi over 6.5.

I was happy for only a few weeks when you were not present to our Sub-forum because you are a pathological lier. Indians are big-mouth, but you are a sub-standard human-looking monkey with 4'11" height. You are here to glorify your super-poor India with falsified data and lies. Check the hdi index of India in the link, it is below BD, and most of the Indian States are below BD. So, stop talking nonsense hear and go back to your favouraite Bharat Raksak Forum, will you? Do not come back to our section, any more!!!!!

List of Indian states and territories by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom