What's new

How Indian Bengali's perceive Bangladesh and Bangladeshi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The United Bengal plan

"After it became apparent that the division of India on the basis of the two-nation theory will almost certainly result in the partition of the Bengal province along religious lines, Bengal provincial Muslim League leader Suhrawardy came up with a radical plan to create an independent Bengal state that won't join either Pakistan or India and remain unpartitioned. Suhrawardy realised that if Bengal is partitioned then it will be economically disastrous for east Bengal[2] as all coal mines, all jute mills but two and other industrial plants will certainly go to the western part since these were in an overwhelmingly Hindu majority area.[3] Most important of all, Kolkata, then the largest city in India, an industrial and commercial hub and the largest port will also go to the western part. Suhrawardy floated his idea on 24 April 1947 at a press conference in Delhi.[4]

However the plan directly ran counter to the Muslim League's, which was a political party during the period of the British Rule which advocated the creation of a separate Muslim-majority nation, demand of the creation of a separate Muslim homeland on the basis of two-nation theory. Initially Bengal provincial Muslim League leadership opinion was divided. Barddhaman's League leader Abul Hashim supported it.[5] On the other hand Nurul Amin and Mohammad Akram Khan initially opposed it.[6][7] But Muhammad Ali Jinnah realized the validity of Suhrawardy's argument and gave his tacit support to the plan.[8][9][10] After Jinnah's approval, Suhrawardy started gathering support for his plan.

On the Congress side, only a handful of leaders agreed to the plan. Among them was the influential Bengal provincial congress leader Sarat Chandra Bose, the elder brother of Netaji and Kiran Shankar Roy. However most other BPCC leaders and Congress leadership including Nehru and Patel rejected the plan. The Hindu nationalist party Hindu Mahasabha under the leadership of Shyama Prasad Mukherjee vehemently opposed it.[11] Their opinion was that the plan is nothing but a ploy by Suhrawardy to stop the partition of the state so that the industrially developed western part including the city of Kolkata remains under League control. They also opined that even though the plan asked for a sovereign Bengal state, in practice it will be a virtual Pakistan and the Hindu minority will be at the mercy of the Muslim majority forever.[12][13][14]

Although the chances of the proposal seeing daylight without Congress central committee's approval was slim, Bose and Suhrawardy continued talks to reach an agreement on the political structure of the proposed state. Like Suhrawardy, Bose also felt that the partition will severely hamper Bengal's economy and almost half of the Hindu population will be left stranded on the Pakistani side.[15] The agreement was published on 24 May 1947.[16] However this was largely a political agreement. The proposal had hardly any support at grassroots level, particularly among the Hindus.[17] Muslim League's continuous propaganda on the two-nation theory for the previous six years combined with the marginalization of Hindus in the Suhrawardy ministry and the vicious riots of 1946, which many Hindus believed was state sponsored, left little room for trust in Muslim League among Bengali Hindus.[18] Soon afterwards, division arose among Bose and Suhrawardy on the question of the nature of the electorate; separate or joint. Suhrawardy insisted upon maintaining the separate electorate for Muslims and Non-Muslims. Bose was opposed to this. He withdrew and due to lack of any other significant support from the Congress's side, the United Bengal plan was discarded.[19] Still, this relatively unknown episode marked the last attempt among Bengali Muslim and Hindu communities to avoid the partition and live together."
Partition of Bengal (1947) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found this interesting as Indians are blaming Muslims for the petition of Bengal.

I will give up Islamism and become champion of Secularism for my Ghoti Brothers...
actually i think in bangladesh,the "bangal" culture is properly preserved.Here now the "bangal-ghoti" marriage has become a "muri-murki" affair and now-a-days the intercommunity marriage ( the most popular and common ones being the "marwari-boy bengali girl" and "bengali boy-punjabi girl" ) is on an exponential rise....

I have met one particular West Bengali in Bharat_rakshak. Nice and polite gentleman, but leader of the pack of the Hindutva theorists there, who plan to eventually reclaim the lost land to Muslims (read Pakistan and Bangladesh) and reconvert the population to Hindu. The plan is to first promote secularism, destroy the Mullah-cracy (read Jamat etc.) and hold military control over these regions and once a significant population converts back or become atheist, then reabsorb the areas. This is the centuries long master plan.

This is not surprising considering how Islamphobia was well established among this population during the Bengal Renaissance. I have read all works of Bangkim Chandra and works of many others during my high school years, starting from children stories from Dev Shahitya Kutir to all major works, such as Sharot babu and Bivutivushan et al.

My impression is that Bengali Hindu's both in India and Bangladesh are being used to foment trouble in Bangladesh by Indian strategists, since Partition of 1947.

There is no possibility of reunification of Bengal, as Partition has given rise to Hindutva, the rising and guiding star in Indian politics for the next 100 years. And many things will happen to the world during these 100 years to pull Bangladesh (and Pakistan) away from Indian culture and orbit. I would say this is the ultimate revenge by Central Asian Turkics and Turko-Mongols who brought Islam to the region and converted this population.

I would say this is the ultimate revenge by Central Asian Turkics and Turko-Mongols who brought Islam to the region and converted this population.

They may have invaded Indian lands back then but India is a favorable country for the present day central Asia than Pakistan.
India has no hatred towards present day Turks or Turkic mongols and vice versa.

I have met one particular West Bengali in Bharat_rakshak. Nice and polite gentleman, but leader of the pack of the Hindutva theorists there, who plan to eventually reclaim the lost land to Muslims (read Pakistan and Bangladesh) and reconvert the population to Hindu. The plan is to first promote secularism, destroy the Mullah-cracy (read Jamat etc.) and hold military control over these regions and once a significant population converts back or become atheist, then reabsorb the areas. This is the centuries long master plan.

I've read that place before.

I was like: :rofl:

Most of these so-called "defense analysts" are weird people if you ask me. They generally are, no matter which part of the world they are from.

In other words: Cheap versions of Tom Clancy.

This is not surprising considering how Islamphobia was well established among this population during the Bengal Renaissance. I have read all works of Bangkim Chandra and works of many others during my high school years, starting from children stories from Dev Shahitya Kutir to all major works, such as Sharot babu and Bivutivushan et al.

My impression is that Bengali Hindu's both in India and Bangladesh are being used to foment trouble in Bangladesh by Indian strategists, since Partition of 1947.

There is no possibility of reunification of Bengal, as Partition has given rise to Hindutva, the rising and guiding star in Indian politics for the next 100 years. And many things will happen to the world during these 100 years to pull Bangladesh (and Pakistan) away from Indian culture and orbit. I would say this is the ultimate revenge by Central Asian Turkics and Turko-Mongols who brought Islam to the region and converted this population.

Seeing from how things are going on in Bangladesh......things may not go for the best in the long-term. May be not even in the short-term.

hey @Loki nice avatar but isn't Loki suppose to be a trickster. Your avatar looks more like an assassin :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey @Loki nice avatar but isn't Loki suppose to be a trickster. Your avatar looks more like an assassin :lol:.

Meh....:meeting:

The one in my avatar is Lord Soth, a Death Knight. Assassins don't wear that much armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
They may have invaded Indian lands back then but India is a favorable countries for the present day central Asia than Pakistan.
India has no hatred towards present day Turks or Turkic mongols and vice versa.

Thanks to PDF, Turks from Turkey (as well as Arabs) are at least getting a good dose of first hand knowledge about Indians and it looks like its producing results.

Thanks to PDF, Turks from Turkey (as well as Arabs) are at least getting a good dose of first hand knowledge about Indians and it looks like its producing results.

You must realize one thing here, animosity based on religion will not be a defining factor in any country's foreign policy, It is the strategic interests that define the policy.

India is a friend of Turkic nations and we have no enmity towards Turkey or Central Asian countries. Lot of people in Central Asia, Middle East and Turkey are fond of Bollywood :cheers:.

Those countries do not gain anything by becoming enemy of India.

You must realize one thing here, animosity based on religion will not be a defining factor in any country's foreign policy, It is the strategic interests that define the policy.

India is a friend of Turkic nations and we have no enmity towards Turkey or Central Asian countries. Lot of people in Central Asia, Middle East and Turkey are fond of Bollywood :cheers:.

Those countries do not gain anything by becoming enemy of India.

I have lived in Central Asia. I know how Turkics feel about South Asians, specially Indians. The place is full of Indian medical students, specially Almaty and Bishkek. They are not religious fanatics specially after living under Russians and communists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom