What's new

How good are BVRs

CatSultan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I tried searching this up and I found conflicting answers. Some are saying that BVRs can easily take out a fighter jet with no problem. Others are saying that they're too slow and only good against transport aircraft. If BVR's are really good then why use AMRAAMs at all?

Remember 27th february 2019 an air raid and skirmish between paf and iaf a real world scenario bvrs were battle proven on that day weren't they a mig 21 and a su 30.

BVR(Beyond Visual Range) missiles or Fox 3 are super sonic around mach 3-4 much more faster than a fighter jet.

Most advanced BVR missiles are AMRAAM C-7, Pl-15, SD-10s and Meteor. They are good in taking out fighter jets.

This doesn't means that they have 100% kill probability.

A skilled fighter pilot flying a decent Gen 4 jet can evade Fox-3. Key to evading BVR missile is speed dumping nose downward towards dense air and some sharp turns. Plus through in some Chaffs.

Fox-3s can also be used in WVR fight because they can perform some crazy turns. Most crazy of them all is SD-10.

BVR(Beyond Visual Range) missiles or Fox 3 are super sonic around mach 3-4 much more faster than a fighter jet.

Most advanced BVR missiles are AMRAAM C-7, Pl-15, SD-10s and Meteor. They are good in taking out fighter jets.

A skilled fighter pilot flying a decent Gen 4 jet can evade Fox-3. Key to evading BVR missile is speed dumping nose downward towards dense air and some sharp turns. Plus through in some Chaffs.

Fox-3s can also be used in WVR fight because they can perform some crazy turns. Most crazy of them all is SD-10.

as we all know everything is very much classified. how good is the BVR AAM is as per kill lethality can be judged by specific historical kill ratios and numbers fired.

interestingly if we know what is specific regulation in an air force regarding usage of BVR or WVR missile to be fire held the key.

let me tell you something i heard long long time ago that F7P handshake 4 pilots had orders/training to engage enemy single target while utilizing 2 x AIM-9Ls but does that mean Kill ratio of 50% certainly not..

So AF doctrine matters ....

Lets put it this way, without bvr there was no possible chance of your pilots to shoot the fishbed.

Rafale changed the whole bvr scenario, so good luck in any future conflicts

When I flew the EF2000 flight simulator and met the Russians outside Norway over the North Sea, the favourite trick was to lit the afterburner and dive at a 60 degree angle towards the ocean.
The missile tries to calculate the point in the sky where it should hit.
When you change direction, the missile will compute a new point.
I thought the trick was to make sure that point is below the water level.
I soon discovered that flight simulators have at least one advantage.
as we all know everything is very much classified. how good is the BVR AAM is as per kill lethality can be judged by specific historical kill ratios and numbers fired.

interestingly if we know what is specific regulation in an air force regarding usage of BVR or WVR missile to be fire held the key.

let me tell you something i heard long long time ago that F7P handshake 4 pilots had orders/training to engage enemy single target while utilizing 2 x AIM-9Ls but does that mean Kill ratio of 50% certainly not..

I think it was an American pilot that said:
There is a reason they are called MISSiles and not HITtiles...

MiG-29s also have the same protocol. However, the reason may be:
1. Since there is no FBW, it is hard for the aircraft to remain agile while having more weight on one wing
2. Increases kill probability as evading the first missile causes targeted aircraft to lose EM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom