What's new

How do Indians see Australia?

most of the attacks on Indian students were Indians themselves attacking other Indians.

That's simply not correct- I have seen Aussies saying the same literally everywhere- on internet forums, reddit, quora. Here are some recent incidents...

Kerala man racially abused, assaulted in Australia

Australia: Indian priest stabbed, asked about nationality before attack

The most famous one, I think...

Australian teen gets 13 years in jail for Nitin Garg murder - The Hindu

Also...

VICTORIA'S top cop has admitted police realised two years ago there was a problem involving crime against Indians.

Indians are over-represented in robbery statistics and there is a racist element to some attacks, Police Commissioner Simon Overland said.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cop...o/news-story/8c0c79fdd31085aeca4a16a1d4495e5f

Last edited:
No nation on earth can compete with indians in racism.
true that . we are racist to ourselves . north indians racist towards south indian and vice versa , north indians racist towards north easterners and vice versa , marathis racist towards UPwalas and biharis , biharis and UPwalas racist towards north easterners , north easterners racist towards bengalis , heck even sometimes delusional UPwalas racist towards biharis :omghaha:

true that . we are racist to ourselves . north indians racist towards south indian and vice versa , north indians racist towards north easterners and vice versa , marathis racist towards UPwalas and biharis , biharis and UPwalas racist towards north easterners , north easterners racist towards bengalis , heck even sometimes delusional UPwalas racist towards biharis :omghaha:
Now that is authentic racism... :enjoy:

I am an Indian living in Australia. Ask me anything.

What are the perceptions of Australia in India? I was just there in India went you Mumbai, Delhi, Shimla etc.

Talked to many Indians and about 70% of the people I spoke to seem to think that Australia is racist? But when I asked them about India being racist they were quick to defend themselves.

So have to ask you guys on here when is the general perception of Australia in the general population?

Why don't you ask this question in some Indian forum?

To be blunt, Aussies are much much less racist than Indians.
The only reasons some of the racist incidents are so visible is because Australia generally has a slow news day.

Even normal crimes that would never make news in India become primetime news in Aus.

What are the perceptions of Australia in India? I was just there in India went you Mumbai, Delhi, Shimla etc.

Talked to many Indians and about 70% of the people I spoke to seem to think that Australia is racist? But when I asked them about India being racist they were quick to defend themselves.

So have to ask you guys on here when is the general perception of Australia in the general population?

One thing really sad about India is definitely our media. There are too many news channels all trying to prove who's better. They keep going on & on about a news they feel hot or controversial for the whole day with as Breaking News .

Due to this some ignorants do carry this notion, that Australians treat Indians badly out there.

The other area where this got amplified was cricket matches especially early 2000's (Ponting era). The Australians used to be like thugs on field just a decade ago. They continuously resorted to sledging & mind games. It is still there, but after IPL started, it has toned down a bit.

But many people who are in touch with Indians in Australia know, it's all crap. Most people have high regard for Australians. There are lot of Indians who have made their life there. I myself have lot of friends who live in Australia. I just met a family friend yesterday, who has come down to India. They are all happy out there.

We lost few matches due to bad umpiring especially in the above series. Many were really angry that the umpires are compromised or favoring Australia. Remember Indians are highly emotional & passionate about cricket.

You should know our history, it has been oppressive & also our neighborhood has been tense even after gaining independence. Due to Gandhi & our non violent beliefs, many people used to think we are cowards or spineless & pick on us. Very few supported us or appreciated Indians or even gave importance. The turn of Y2K our economy boomed, which gave the Indians some confidence & prove the world that we are smart, ambitious & can give stiff competition to the best in the world. So yes the attitude & approach of this generation has changed.

But don't worry pal. We are sometimes a little over emotional & outspoken, but otherwise most Indians respect the land the are in & work really hard to excel in life. In general we have no hatred with any nationals in the world, even we don't hate Chinese. Due to Partition, Kashmir issue, terrorism & border tensions many do have a negative view of Pakistan. It's a both side affair though.

So chill & don't bother about the few stereotypes. They are just ignorant. Indians mostly are from a hard background. You know we still have a huge percentage living under poverty.

Australia is one of the most amazing and beautiful places in the world. Your UGG Boots are one of the things people like us are crazy off. After Tony Abbot's famous hug & his praising words about our PM Modi, many people who had these racist impression has changed. The Australia-India relationship is stronger than it has been for a very long time and I can only see that improving and getting stronger with time.

Lot of Indian movies are shot in Australia. We have started seeing Australian filmmakers also making movies on India and a lot of Australians & students coming to India to study or on tour. The relationship is becoming deeper and deeper. Cultural connection helps anybody to grow & understand each other better.

Most people like me in cities do know Sir Henry Parkes, Antony Pratt, Don Bradman, Rupert Murdoch, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson, Kylie Minogue, Mad Max, Crocodile Dundee, Lion, The Castle. Boy I was a fan of Steve Irwin. We also know in Sydney you have the famous - Opera House, Harbor Bridge & your last Olympics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom