What's new

How can Pakistan develop its inland regions?

And why doesn't it work?
Look through the thread- I personally like the idea but in this thread people talked about issues associated with it

I have always said this. We need to relocate atleast 10 million from Punjab and KP to Baluchistan coastal area by building 4-5 major cities on coast... Behind the coast is deserted land, we can always use that to establish huge solar farms to not only provide electricity to those cities but to also treat water.
Unko pyasa maar na hai
There's no water B-stan for us to devalop a coast with
@RealNapster

Last edited:
As you know most of Pakistan lives inland and as a country, our coastline is not all that big (its a huge disadvantage we face as a country)
If you look at countries most of the development happens in their coastal regions - China, US, Australia etc to name a few

What kinda strategies Pakistan can employ to develop its inland regions? it cant export much as its not all that competitive to export from midland Pak (Punjab, KPK, Gilgit etc)
I know we are exporting textiles from Faisalabad but honestly, I don't see export industries becoming globally competitive from that area- whatever work people in Sialkot, Gujrat are doing is literally sheer hard work. culutre (dudes built proper airports on thier own and clientale value into the billions when our government is generally extremely anti -buisness and anti manufacturing in general - so I respect Thier hustle)not really natural competitiveness
I think higher education, tech, import-substitution, can be a way out while the south should be used for export industries- Balochistan's coastline is not habitable for a large human population cause of water resources
@FuturePAF @hydrabadi_arab
View attachment 836578
as of now this is our only coastline just 2 districts (Balochi coastline is no mans land as no one lives there)- even here a lot thata can be considered delta
220 million + rely on 2-3 districts for sea access
Sindh needs to emulate Punjab and KPK in this regards. KPK even more so, because, until recently, there was no significant industry there, but cpec, PTI etc combined are causing people to set up plants at the SEZs. Punjab is a great example of general industrious nature, for that small cities like Sialkot, etc. needs to be emulated.

I have always said this. We need to relocate atleast 10 million from Punjab and KP to Baluchistan coastal area by building 4-5 major cities on coast... Behind the coast is deserted land, we can always use that to establish huge solar farms to not only provide electricity to those cities but to also treat water.
will cause too much ethnic tension. any city that is developed along the coast of balochistan must first be populated by balochis, and should have free port status.

And why doesn't it work?
little to no water downriver.

6dfidj.jpg

Sooner or later Karachi will be alright- I think this election will be the answer
but for country as a whole to become prosperous
A- Baloch coastline needs to be devaloped
B- strategies to make the inland more globally competitive
Cause around 80-85% plus pop live far away from coast
Gilgit, KPK, North Balochistan, Punjab

It'll be hard for our country to be uplifted without out of the box thinking in terms of they can participate in exports or labor force

As of now we're basically just using them for remitances, SME for local consumption (auto, cars etc), textiles,
the thing that can be quickly done to uplift the people in interior is to use new tech for agriculture and higher yield species of plants. will result in more sales = more revenue. and a serious effort needs to be amde to end wadera system in sindh and introduce land reforms. an ngo should be formed to conduct outreach programs so that farmers can adopt new techniques and species.

the thing that can be quickly done to uplift the people in interior is to use new tech for agriculture and higher yield species of plants. will result in more sales = more revenue. and a serious effort needs to be amde to end wadera system in sindh and introduce land reforms. an ngo should be formed to conduct outreach programs so that farmers can adopt new techniques and species.
I was thinking more along the lines of industry
Even without agriculture I think we are what 1 or second most urbanized in SA

How will you provide for these migrants if agriculture gets better resulting in less people needed in rural areas ?

We need to make inward areas globally competitive- as this is where most of the population lives

You can't move 85% to coast, you need to provide industrial jobs to them in Thier own states

I was thinking more along the lines of industry
Even without agriculture I think we are what 1 or second most urbanized in SA

How will you provide for these migrants if agriculture gets better resulting in less people needed in rural areas ?

We need to make inward areas globally competitive- as this is where most of the population lives

You can't move 85% to coast, you need to provide industrial jobs to them in Thier own states
improve law and order, improve literacy rates, provide land on cheap rates, provide utilities on priority and at cheap rates, provide tax holidays. the first two are the most important, if someone comes and forces you to employ their people, even though unskilled, you will not invest in that area. similarly, if you cannot find skilled manpower in that locality, you will have to import them, and may have to pay them more to incentivize relocation, this will increase costs, and may also cause ethnic tensions in a society like pakistan.

As you know most of Pakistan lives inland and as a country, our coastline is not all that big (its a huge disadvantage we face as a country)
If you look at countries most of the development happens in their coastal regions - China, US, Australia etc to name a few

What kinda strategies Pakistan can employ to develop its inland regions? it cant export much as its not all that competitive to export from midland Pak (Punjab, KPK, Gilgit etc)
I know we are exporting textiles from Faisalabad but honestly, I don't see export industries becoming globally competitive from that area- whatever work people in Sialkot, Gujrat are doing is literally sheer hard work. culutre (dudes built proper airports on thier own and clientale value into the billions when our government is generally extremely anti -buisness and anti manufacturing in general - so I respect Thier hustle)not really natural competitiveness
I think higher education, tech, import-substitution, can be a way out while the south should be used for export industries- Balochistan's coastline is not habitable for a large human population cause of water resources
View attachment 836578
as of now this is our only coastline just 2 districts (Balochi coastline is no mans land as no one lives there)- even here a lot thata can be considered delta
Any family possessing more than 100 acres of land should return the excessive land back to state.
Phir daikho Kamal. Wadyray maraingy nahi, system change hoga nahi.

Massive implementation of this kind of programs should transform country in decade, second video is from SA and results from pilot project which was conducted as dire need, results are spectacular.

What % lives within 50 miles of the ocean versus what % lives within 500 miles of the ocean ?
The entire province of Punjab in Pakistan is 200-300 miles away from the ocean. It has 60% of the population

The Midwest in USA has the Mississippi and Lawrence River as waterways
That’s why I started a thread on trying to make Pakistani Rivers navigable, but if that is not feasible, Rail is the next best option. Chicago was and is still the major train hub for all points east/west on the continent. So I think of Pakistan like the Great Plains minus the navigable rivers, and look at the rail infrastructure that fills the gaps.

And why doesn't it work?

Because it's cheaper to build railways.

View attachment 836578

You answered your own question, look at the people of Sialkot. There is no greater driver of change than the hard work of man himself.

River transportation system doesn't work in Pakistan

Us did it with Mississippi, we should think about a indus highway :coffee:

Members rejected the idea of a river highway , transportation

We can in the future. But it would be a massive undertaking. Better to upgrade & make new rail lines first.

1) Upgrade & expand rail infrastructure

2) Connect & integrate transport infrastructure with Iran & Central Asia (through china for now since afg is unstable)

3) Unconventional but maybe look into airships (edit: watch "Why the Airship May Be the Future of Air Travel" on YouTube)

4) IT. Software doesn't need physical transport infrastructure. We need to upgrade our IT infrastructure throughout country either way.

5) Mining, farming, tourism, finance, entertainment

6) I'm open to trade with India depending on the benefits. If we're just selling them raw materials to turn into finished products for us to buy, then no thanks. Also no if we're only selling low value goods to them & they're selling high value to us.

Last edited:
Speed up the Kachhi Canal Project

Last edited:
The first step into developing your rural areas is to gather all the waderas and nawabs from localities, line them up and execute them.
Then, and only then will come progress that is beneficial to the region.

Any family possessing more than 100 acres of land should return the excessive land back to state.
Phir daikho Kamal. Wadyray maraingy nahi, system change hoga nahi.
The state doesn’t have the money to maximize its utilization. Farmers should be linked up with investors to maximize yields through modern farming techniques. Taking property will undermine investment.

Different companies can be active in each farming region to compete for a farmer’s business/access to their land. As well as compete to store and process the crops produced

The government should make sure regulations on water use, limiting fertilizer overuse (as not to poison ground water), and other health and safety standards are followed and contracts are honored. In the end the government should collect all due taxes.

Pakistan should study farming model over the last 50 years from around the world (such as what China has done), and reward farmers that use new methods that lower water and fertilizer use but reach higher yields.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom