What's new

How and why is Bangladesh better off than Pakistan today?

Many different reasons.

Pakistan has been constantly on wars one after another. Wot alone caused above 130 billion$.

Pakistan is not on ldc group which prevents it from special status from Europe clean north America.

Pakistani politics is 100 times dirtier than Bangladesh. Bangladeshi pm can continue playing pakistan card and hijack elections with the help of India and one party system continues, nothing of sort can be possible in Pakistan.

Bangladeshis have a strong will power and focus to show pakistan down. Most of the discussion that happens is how Bangladesh is better than pakistan and they have to justify it. No such thing in Pakistan. Thanks to Pakistani politicians who have made a zombie mindset of Pakistanis that India is 7 times bigger and we cannot compare compete with them and other such gibberish mentality.

Bangladeshis also work hard to get money and have their women working too. While I'm sorry to say but most Pakistanis just criticize govt and sit idle for govt man o salwa. Bangladeshis focus on exporting their goods while we dislike and pick worm in anything that have a label of made in Pakistan. Example the Adam revo car.

The article is written by a Pakistani guy for a Pakistani newspaper. BDeshi members just post whatever news they think is relevant for the country, don't create threads out of the blue.

Many different reasons.

Pakistan has been constantly on wars one after another. Wot alone caused above 130 billion$.

Pakistan is not on ldc group which prevents it from special status from Europe clean north America.

Pakistani politics is 100 times dirtier than Bangladesh. Bangladeshi pm can continue playing pakistan card and hijack elections with the help of India and one party system continues, nothing of sort can be possible in Pakistan.

Bangladeshis have a strong will power and focus to show pakistan down. Most of the discussion that happens is how Bangladesh is better than pakistan and they have to justify it. No such thing in Pakistan. Thanks to Pakistani politicians who have made a zombie mindset of Pakistanis that India is 7 times bigger and we cannot compare compete with them and other such gibberish mentality.

Bangladeshis also work hard to get money and have their women working too. While I'm sorry to say but most Pakistanis just criticize govt and sit idle for govt man o salwa. Bangladeshis focus on exporting their goods while we dislike and pick worm in anything that have a label of made in Pakistan. Example the Adam revo car.

We have nothing wrong against Pakistan but due to 1971 issue the comparison comes up time to time. As Bangladesh is moving past 50 years, already crossed Pakistan, war crime trial is mostly complete and PM Hasina is set to retire comparison with Pakistan will die down.

Our main comparison now a days is India and for obvious reasons. Thanks to BJP and its activities and remarks anti India sentiment is all time high.

This article is written by a Pakistani just for your info.

>> Bangladesh picked up its share of joint pakistans liabilities in loans but pakistan robbed bangladesh by refusing to date to split the assests.

Is there any official statement from Bangladesh government what they think the total assets and liabilities in 1971? Surely they would be some Bangladeshis working in the then State Bank of Pakistan. Pakistan was not very rich county then and it is still a poor country so I do not think there was much asset left after war to split.

>>Bangladesh got rice from the west???? Was it given free???

Of course some of it was free as every government always supposed to give some fee stuff to its citizens now and then. To get the idea, just check how much Bangladesh spent in foreign currency since 1972 for rice import. Also check how much Bangladesh spent in foreign currency for cotton, sugar, salt and other food stuff import after 1972 previously it was getting in local currency from western half. I will give you hint salt was selling up to 100 Tk/kg right after independence, rice price shoot to sky so there was famine...Do you you ever wondered why?

>>Did Pakistan develop itself with Bangladesh resources..... an incontrovertible fact.... PK to date has failed to publish full data on relative contribution to the united Pakistan exchequer and expenditure by wings.....
The last time this was done was in 1948/49 i think.... after that looting began until 1970...

As I said it is pure propaganda. There was not much resources produced by east to loot. East Pakistan produced only jute which earned foreign currency that was also in decaling value. How much foreign currency since 1972 Bangladesh earned through jute export, you will get the idea??? There was not much industries in East to earn any meaningful tax revenue either and personal income tax was negligent. The industrialization in East was started by West Pakistani business families like Adamjee Jute Mills and other textile mills. The still only hydro power plant in the country built during that time and Bangladesh could not build second one yet. Except Dhaka University other major universities were built during that time.
As I told you it was only 20 years compared to 200 years under British raj, so there can not be a major economic exploitation as a state policy as done by British colonial rule ( the government was not that efficient then and not even today to create a policy and implement it successfully to get a reasonable benefit). There was not a single discriminatory rule created against East Pakistan except 1952 state language issue who was repealed immediately after opposition. If West Pakistan had force east to cultivate cotton or wheat which would only benefit West (like British forced Bengal to cultivate indigo instead of rice or forbit handlooms to benefit British textile mills.) then I would have agreed for economic exploitation.

>>I fail to see how PK supposedly want good relationship with bangladesh and continue to rob it.

Bangladesh and Pakistan is still an ocean a part. They do not need to have good relation if the do not want, Each can live with their own device. Why you spending time in a Pakistani defense forum I wonder, why even bother.

If I analyze the issue for partition of East and West wing apart from distance was more of poor governance specially military rule, lack of resources, and ethnic politics which lead to discrimination. There was some injustice done to Bengalis in jobs, language and cultural rights in the beginnings and overall dealings sure. Also the leftish mindset leanings of majority of Bengalis due to century old struggle against historic injustice served by Hindu landlords and brahman class (who left for India with creation of Muslim Pakistan) was not properly analyzed or understood by political elites of West Pakistan which some of themselves were land lords and feudal class (there is still some in Pakistan).

I am of the opinion that the civil war in 1971 and the gross violations that happened was not needed and should not have happened. West Pakistan should have left the East Bengal to its own device before that point of no return or it would have been better not even included in 1947. I sometime wonder what would have happened to East Bengal Muslim population if it was not included in Pakistan in 1947, may be same fate as rest of Muslims that left behind in India today. I also wonder if Bangladesh as they got their own nation now would ever thank Pakistan or Jinnah that they were included in Pakistan in 1947. The two nation theory of Jinnah was right as Bangladesh is its prime example. When you consider East Bengal has more linguistic, cultural and economic affinity and dependency with West Bengal and India, still just due to it being a Muslims majority even after terrible happenings of 1971 with Pakistan which it share only religion, it remains an independent country. Only for this reason I salute it for 50 years of independence and hope it remains independent for many years to come.

Hilarious post..... there would have been no pakistan without Bangladesh..... you did not gift us freedom from hindu rule it was the the other way around. West pakistans contribution to Muslim fight for sovereignty is at best negligible.

The total reserves of pakistan in 1971 was around $2.5bn. It needs to be split with real time inflation built in.

You seem to be so confident that Bangladeshs contribution to PK exchequer was negligible and expenditure in the west was funded at the expense of the east. If so prove it. It is not as if the data is not there, it has been classified by subsequent PK government pre and post 1971. The charge of wide scale looting from BD can be easily refuted if PK choose to. It does not because it can not.

As to why i am in a pakistani forum...for the same reason as everyone else.... its an open forum.... i visit many forums that has BD component to it....do you own the forum? who are you to question my presence ?

I hope and pray that the leader we have in IK remains in power for the foreseeable future minimum of two decades in order to turn around the fortunes of Pakistan and it's people so that in the future there is no need for this type of debate and Asia can look upon Pakistan as a shinning example of success.
History has taught us that the previous governments of the last 30 years have done nothing but pillage and plunder the wealth and resources of Pakistan for their own egotistical self gratification. While at the same time treating the people like sheep and cattle for their own requirements.
And the blind public have followed their masters , to the tunes of Sher ayah and jeevey Bhutto.
An educated mind is a free mind

how many terms do you need from a single person for a low income non-developed country to surge forward?

He's talking about benevolent dictatorship and one party rule.

I agree South Asians don't deserve democracy because majority are not informed electorate. One man one vote is a farce in South Asia where you can buy vote from a man or woman for some snacks and some tea. Or maybe a saree/lungi/salwar/kameez/dhoti.

These unwashed masses have no idea to judge their rulers.

Last edited:
tldr;

1. corruption
2. feudal and tribal structures
3. leaders who don't care

basically the 3 answers to any question about Pakistan:

"Why isn't our cricket team the best?"

"Why don't we have a robust R&D base?"

"Why is Karachi in such a bad state?"

etc.

Pakistan will always be better than Bangladesh. The reson is simple. Pakistan is not India's bitch. It does not need India's permission. Pakistan economic situatuion is due to its people made bad political decisions and we dearly paid for it in lives and economics. We had leaders who thought for themselves. This however, is being fixed. With potential Pakistan has supplemented by its resources and geographic location, it will be pivot of the region. Its a matter of time.

At the same time, I wish Bangladesh very well. They are our brothers. Their success is ours and vice versa.

I don't know why we open these threads in the first place.

A self-congratulatory gloat about how we are doing so much better than Pakistan? What will this accomplish for us in real terms except temporary feel-good revenge thoughts, if at all?? This is like an immature schoolyard game.

I know why Hasina does it, it's because it gains her some sympathy votes from idiot electorate. And Indians for the same reason. But us? Nothing.

Today's Pakistanis had no part of whatever happened in 1971.

If the shoe was on the other foot then what? Perfectly possible that it can happen.

Look at how Indians were boasting five years ago about hiring white servants and look at their economy now.

Will take a long while to pull themselves out of the hole they are in...

Hasina is perfectly capable of sinking Bangladesh economy. Just like her adviser Modi.

Don't take comfort in short term glory.

I am happy that Bangladesh is doing well. That DOES NOT give us the right to gloat and put other countries down. Their circumstances are unique and VERY different from ours.

How many articles were published in this sub-forum about India's economy being in a plain $hithole, which it actually is?? Almost none.

Why??

Please refrain from publishing this sort of articles to hurt Pakistani sentiments. Let Pakistanis sort out their own problems.

This was published in a Pakistani newspaper but we Bangladeshi PDF posters decided to publish it here. Take responsibility for that please. Gloating accomplishes nothing.

Last edited:
i am surprised its only 41 billion.
It is now $44 billion Dollar, expected to cross $50 billion at the end of 2021. Fourty-four billion is actually quite good compared to import volume. It can meet 9 months of import need. This level of forex plus 20 billion Dollar remittance Bangladesh get annually easily cover the import need. That's why there is no foreign debt accumulation to service trade deficit. Our foreign debt is increasing slowly due to spending in mega infrastructure project. But this debt accumulation so far is less than GDP growth. Which resulted in a decreasing trend of 'Debt to GDP ratio' in the last two decades. Bangladesh's budget also not dependent on foreign aid, which is stark contrast to 1980s. Then 90 percent of our development budget came from foreign grants and loans, now more than 90 percent of development budget money comes from within the country. There was a time when most of our ministers spent most of their times in Western capitals to secure grants and loan, but now they rarely make that kind of trip.

Things began to change for good from 1990s and continued in 2000s. That times, Bangladesh gradually lessened it's foreign aid dependency, did not borrow from foreign sources extravagantly. There was not much mega infrastructure projects(Jamuna bridge was the sole exception), govt. ignored city infrastructure, whatever money they could gathered spent on education, health care, population control, rural development, flood control etc. These things are now paying off. Despite corruption and inefficiency of the govt, their priorities were right. It is only in the last decade that Bangladesh became able to spend on big ticket projects. Govt. is now building Nuclear power plant, Metrorail, 4-6 lane expressways/Highways, Railways, deep sea port, Airport etc.

Last edited:
Well it didn't have Afghanistan as it's neighbor for one

I am sure you would have thought of saying India but then realised it's a common neighbour to both. Anyway, Who made Afghanistan like the one it is today...you contributed a lot in that, didn't you?

Simple.. Pakistan embraced religious fundamentalism over nation building mainly orchestrated by Zia ul Haq, and it has been downhill since

Bangladesh on the other hand decided on nation building fighting off religious fundamentalism and they have been uphill since then, Atleast economically

Both countries are as corrupt as any other South Asian shit hole, So that nullifies corruption as the main impediment

Simple.. Pakistan embraced religious fundamentalism over nation building mainly orchestrated by Zia ul Haq, and it has been downhill since

Bangladesh on the other hand decided on nation building fighting off religious fundamentalism and they have been uphill since then, Atleast economically
Pakistan progressed the most during 60s 80s and 00s
Zial ul haq economically strengthened Pakistan. It was during his time we started getting tons of remittances we never got before, its during his time Pakistan completed its nuke capability and did a cold test..It was during his time the grave danger of soviet invasion was warded off,Indian ambitions of war were extinguished, Baluch and pashtun separation was taken care of. ISI is ISI today because of General Akhtar and Zia.

Pakistan progressed the most during 60s 80s and 00s
Zial ul haq economically strengthened Pakistan. It was during his time we started getting tons of remittances we never got before, its during his time Pakistan completed its nuke capability and did a cold test..It was during his time the grave danger of soviet invasion was warded off,Indian ambitions of war were extinguished, Baluch and pashtun separation was taken care of. ISI is ISI today because of General Akhtar and Zia.

US funded Zia regime massively during the cold war that's one of the main the reasons your economy showed on the positive in the 80's, But the rot was started by him, Religious fundamentalism along with sectarianism promoted by that regime have devastated once a progressive nation and dont see a way out as well not in the near run

PS: Remittances are not a sign of economic strength but the opposite, Citizens have to look for menial jobs elsewhere because their govts cant provide them with livelyhoods

US funded Zia regime massively during the cold war that's one of the main the reasons your economy showed on the positive in the 80's, But the rot was started by him, Religious fundamentalism along with sectarianism promoted by that regime have devastated once a progressive nation and dont see a way out as well not in the near run

PS: Remittances are not a sign of economic strength but the opposite, Citizens have to look for menial jobs elsewhere because their govts cant provide them with livelyhoods
Total US aid during Zia tenure was hardly 2 billion.
However we were getting $4 billion dollars worth remittances EVERY year only from GCC countries.
Remittances improved Pakistans deficit. It took us out from the mess from failed nationalization policies of Bhutto.

Total BS..Zia made Pakistan the first country to embrace Islamic Iran considering how he was labelled a tout of Saudis from his opposition and surkhas.
Not just that it was his policy to support Iran with weapons and logistics during Iran-Iraq war. He was actually well respected in Tehran regardless of his tilt towards Riyadh.. Probably one of the finest leaders who was able to strike a balance in the sectarian environment of post-Islamic revolution of iran.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom