What's new

Hong Kong protests against China

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not the ones who are dying to get british rule back. I just shared a news from Hong Kong which says that the people of Hong Kong were more happy under British rule than under the Chinese rule. Its a survey which I have no role in. Why you are getting mad at me?

TBh, they are not happy with the British rule but probably are attracted to democracy under British rule and they want that open system back, not the British rule..

I am happy that Chinese government give the right to protest to the people of Hong Kong. I thought it was impossible under CCP. And yeah you can call me ignorant about this "right to protest" in China. I never knew it.

It's not my nature to label anyone by names, however, this is an international forum, we should know the basic fact before we make a post because there many people other than ourselves do read our posts.

Taken from your source:

In the survey of 878 Hong Kong citizens aged 18 or older, 52.1 percent of the respondents said their lives are worse than before 1997, while only 17.5 percent said their lives have improved.

Are you THAT intellectually challenged or are you THAT intellectually dishonest?
How old are these 18 year olds back in 1997? How many years have they had under the British rule without a milk bottle in their mouth? More importantly what is the total population of Hong Kong?

By insinuating Hong Kong's view of China with an article based on a flawed survey is nothing but an insult to your intelligence.

TBh, they are not happy with the British rule but probably are attracted to democracy under British rule and they want that open system back, not the British rule..
Okay. I get it now.

China should start to execute democracy step by step by ASAP. Or we have a next USSR in making

Taken from your source:

Are you THAT intellectually challenged or are you THAT intellectually dishonest?
How old are these 18 year olds back in 1997? How many years have they had under the British rule without a milk bottle in their mouth? More importantly what is the total population of Hong Kong?

By insinuating Hong Kong's view of China with an article based on a flawed survey is nothing but an insult to your intelligence.
Yeah Mr high IQ, now look at it again.
In the survey of 878 Hong Kong citizens aged 18 or older, 52.1 percent of the respondents said their lives are worse than before 1997, while only 17.5 percent said their lives have improved.
Does it say that everyone who participated in the survey is excactly 18 years old??? Or does it just show the minimum age of participants???

Further, if you were not born in 1930s, does that mean that you dont know anything about world war 2? :lol:

You see, I can comment on your intelligence too but I'm sorry, I'm not your type.

Tens of thousands of pro-democracy protesters took to the streets of Hong Kong hours after Chinese President Hu Jintao swore in the city's new leader and urged him to resolve what he called "deep disagreements" among the islanders.

The by-now annual July 1 demonstration - marking the end of British colonial rule in 1997 - was the biggest in years as people took advantage of Hong Kong's laws that make it the only place in China where public protests are permitted.

Hundreds of police maintained a tight cordon around the same harbour front where Britain handed Hong Kong back to Chinese rule 15 years ago as Hu swore in the new leader - something that also always happens on July 1.

Hu expressed China's confidence in Hong Kong's role as a free, law-abiding society, though, in a sign of Beijing's anxiety over recent tensions, he appealed for unity and called on the new administration to pursue social harmony.

"While we recognize Hong Kong's achievements 15 years after the handover, we must also be conscious of the deep disagreements and problems in Hong Kong society," Hu said.

His call comes amid concerns in Hong Kong over human rights abuses on the mainland, sky-high property prices and the huge numbers of mainland Chinese visitors to Hong Kong.

A lone protester stood and heckled Hu as he spoke, demanding an end to one-party rule and dictatorship in China, before being wrestled away by around 10 security personnel.

Several demonstrators were taken away in a police van. A truck draped with black slogans denouncing the bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989 was forced away and tailed by a police motorcycle.

"Hong Kong has freedoms, and we have the right to protest! Why do you even stop us from walking?" lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan shouted into a loud hailer as he harangued police.

Hong Kong is a liberal, global financial hub agitating for full democracy, making it both an asset and a potentially dangerous precedent for China where people are becoming increasingly intolerant of rights abuses and curtailed freedoms.

MANDARIN SPEECH

New Hong Kong leader Leung Chun-ying, known to have close ties to China's Communist Party, delivered his inaugural speech in Mandarin, not the local dialect Cantonese.

After the morning swearing-in ceremony, demonstration organisers put the number of protesters at 400,000, while police said the figure was 65,000. Hong Kong University said up to 112,000 took part.

"Hong Kong's human rights record has backtracked," said one of the demonstrators, Theresa Cheng, a 20 year-old university student. "Freedom of speech is shrinking and reporters are facing more obstacles."

Other issues stoking citizen anger include a construction scandal that has badly hit Leung's popularity, a yawning wealth gap, corruption and pollution - though Sunday's events were held under a sunny blue sky.

Praised as one of the world's freest and simplest low-tax havens for conducting business and a gateway to China, Hong Kong has nevertheless struggled over the past 15 years, with critics accusing Beijing of extensive behind-the- scenes meddling in political, electoral, academic, media and legal spheres.

This year saw a fraught, mud-slinging electoral race for the city's top job that was eventually won by Leung, 57, a self-made millionaire who has championed grassroots causes such as poverty alleviation and building more public housing.

He now faces a damaging scandal over illegal constructions in a luxury villa. A similar infraction had earlier torpedoed the chances of his election rival, tycoon Henry Tang.

MINI HONG KONG
China proffered a raft of economic goodies to Hong Kong to coincide with Hu's visit, including saying it would experiment with service sector reforms in a new business zone next door in Shenzhen's Qianhai as a "mini Hong Kong" to consolidate Hong Kong's economic prospects.

Beijing often uses visits by leaders to announce sweeteners for Hong Kong.

But public "negative" feelings towards the Chinese government are at a record high, according to a University of Hong Kong poll.

The gulf in freedoms between Hong Kong and China remains stark since the territory returned to Chinese rule, with some residents taken aback by images of Hu attending a military parade at a Hong Kong People's Liberation Army barracks on Friday as thousands of soldiers, assembled before tanks and defence hardware, hailed their leader.

During a visit to a cruise terminal construction site built on Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport runway, Hu was asked by a reporter to explain the Tiananmen Square killings.

"I hoped to ask him questions that Hong Kong people really want to ask," said Rex Hon, the reporter, who was interrogated by Hong Kong police officers for 15 minutes after his unscripted outburst. Hu, wearing a hard hat, ignored the question.

Mainland authorities censored parts of CNN's broadcasts in China on the protests during Hu's visit that demanded a probe into the suspicious death in custody of dissident Li Wangyang, whose relatives accused officials in Hunan of murder.

In fact, I love those protesters! This is how “One country two systems” in vivid display.

Look around the whole world, let it be developed countries (such as US, or France) or developing countries (such as India or Zimbabwe), let it be true democracy countries (such as US or France) or fake democracy countries (such as India or the Philippines), you name it and categorize it, any country of any types, only China has the guts to allow two different, even contradictory, systems to coexist and comptete peacefully. :tup:

Lets free Hong Kong!:laugh:

Sure. Why not?

But please enlighten us why are tens of thousands of Indians running away from your “free” country, trying desperately to get into Hong Kong, basically by any means conceivable?

HKoners already live in a decent condition, yet they want to be even better, unlike your hunky-dory Indians

You should free your India before attempting anything else. Free those suppressed low castes, free people from starvation, free people from illiteracy… Thousands of Indians are dying of hunger on daily basis and yet some hallucinated a few of them are raving about “free” Hong Kong to make HK like an India?

What a joke! (typically from that corner of the world)

One has to look at the survey you guys mentioned in a different context. People around the world, not just HK, were richer and their living standard were higher before 1997 for two major reasons: 1) the oil price was hovering around $30/bbl and 2) world stock market crashes in 1999 wiped out, directly and indirectly, average people's savings and retirement plans.

When the survey was taken the oil price was way over $100/bbl and the people who lost their retirement savings in stocks never recovered.

In HK everybody and their grandmothers do like to dabble in risky financial adventures, hence we got the worst of it.

^^^

You got a point but question to be asked is , is Hongkong the only place in the world which has experienced high Oil prices and Stock market losses? Obviously "No", so there appears to be more to the story than what you are trying to potray..

I have seen Hongkong people getting extremely racist towards Mainland Chinese. Don't know the reason for the hatred though, considering you all are same lot.. But there definitely is underlying hatred in HK for Mainland Chinese and that got reflected in the survey results as well as pro democracy protests..

Yeah Mr high IQ, now look at it again.

Does it say that everyone who participated in the survey is excactly 18 years old??? Or does it just show the minimum age of participants???

I guess you are indeed that intellectually challenged.
Have you failed to look up Hong Kong's population prior to your sweeping statement? How is this a fair survey? You may as well take a collective response from the slums of India and sum up India's economy and general well being of your society.

Further, if you were not born in 1930s, does that mean that you dont know anything about world war 2? :lol:

There is a difference between knowing and experiencing. Nice way to distract the readers from how intellectually dishonest you are.

You see, I can comment on your intelligence too but I'm sorry, I'm not your type.

Of course you are not my type. Not only are you intellectually challenged. You are also very intellectually dishonest :lol:

Hong Kong deserves Independence from Communist Beijing... I am sure there are plenty of CCP slaves in Hong kong but they could be flushed out once democracy reigns in..

A-man-carries-a-placard-s-005.jpg

Hong Kong seems to be a very divided place as far as association with the Chini mainland in concerned .
No it's not. Hong Kongese don't want to be associated with mainland and the anti-China feelings are at all times high. If the option of independence is put up for a vote today, Hong Kongese voters will approve to go independent.

you guys are sick! how can a bunch of right wing perverts can reflect the sentiment of the rest of 7 million people!
That's the result of a public poll.

I am a Hong Kong People

I love China.
Real Hong Kongese hate China, as shown by various polls and above protests.

Only the mainland immigrants like yourself love China.

6.9 millions people staying home and celebrating 15 years back under China rules, only 0.1 million out
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We Hong Kong people are Chinese. Our parents all are from China.
Hong Kongese call themselves Hong Kongese, not mainland Chinese. Being called Chinese mainlander is an insult in Hong Kong.

Were they asking to get the British rule back?
It is well-known that Hong Kongese prefer British Monarch to the CCP.

China should start to execute democracy step by step by ASAP. Or we have a next USSR in making
Chinese Communist Party has already shown which steps they would take back in 1989; they would run over protesters with tanks.

I have seen Hongkong people getting extremely racist towards Mainland Chinese. Don't know the reason for the hatred though, considering you all are same lot..
No they are not. Cantonese and Mandarin speakers would be grouped as separate ethnic groups by the international standard.

Only the communist would insist that two ethnic groups with mutually intelligible languages are of same ethnicity speaking "dialects".

^^^

You got a point but question to be asked is , is Hongkong the only place in the world which has experienced high Oil prices and Stock market losses? Obviously "No", so there appears to be more to the story than what you are trying to potray..

I have seen Hongkong people getting extremely racist towards Mainland Chinese. Don't know the reason for the hatred though, considering you all are same lot.. But there definitely is underlying hatred in HK for Mainland Chinese and that got reflected in the survey results as well as pro democracy protests..

What ever people in HK call Mainlanders and vice versa are not racism but rather locality 'name calling' and that's a part of Oriental culture, a little offensive but not overly hostile. In China, as HK is a part of, people from different villages put slight derogatory labels on each other using names of the villages, cities or Provenves. We also give similar labels to foreigners too if you want to know the true.

I'm not saying there are no animosities between HKers and Mainlanders, if fact there are, just like two people from different environments bound to have frictions when they interact often enough. Because these two people have similar deep rooted culture, their hatred for each other will not persisted.

The oil price rose from around $30 to over $100 combines with the market crashes hurt all middle classes worldwide. In New York City alone the property tax rose more than 300% which that put severe burdens to the middle class and that too pass along to the renters. The 1999 market crashes drained Americans' investment savings and 401K/IRA retirement accounts. On top of that the mortgage lending scandals bankrupted many. People live paychecks to paychecks if they're lucky enough to still have jobs. It's almost safe to say there are no middle class in NY anymore, only the richest and the poorest. Many municipalities across the globe faced similar fates.

People in HK got hit harder because the saving rate is much higher, Far Eastern people are known for that, and alternative investments are limited because it's a small city. It's very natural for those who seek high returns than interest from savings to invest in the market. Literally many jumped from roofs when the crashes came and for most others the recoveries never came.

So people in HK were better off before 1999 than after, so are many middle classes worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom