What's new

Homes of Christians burnt

^ :disagree: You trying to be funny my friend?? :what: You want to go to the Hajj!! ?? cuz thats the only thing in Makkah you can do beyond that sign :azn: Next, you'll post the St. Peter's Square in Rome and say your'e not allowed there either :enjoy:

Well said my friend, people only need to go meet these Maulvis to know that they are actually ordinary human beings but like all other types of human beings, you have black sheeps as well !!

Where are the white sheeps among Molvis? Why are they not taking out huge rallies in protest? Why are they being sheepish?

^ :disagree: You trying to be funny my friend?? :what: You want to go to the Hajj!! ?? cuz thats the only thing in Makkah you can do beyond that sign :azn: Next, you'll post the St. Peter's Square in Rome and say your'e not allowed there either :enjoy:

you didn't get my message right. I meant Pakistan could take some inspiration fron Saudi society as to how to deal with non-muslim minorities.

Who's Attacking the Christians?

Authorities and human rights groups now suspect that the attackers belonged to the Sipah-e-Sahaba, a sectarian militant group from the nearby town of Jhang. A senior member, Qari Saifullah, served as Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud's righthand man and trained scores of suicide bombers. The group's even more vicious offshoot, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, is considered al-Qaeda's front in Pakistan. The enduring and undisturbed presence of Sipah-e-Sahaba and other militant groups in central and southern Punjab has led many analysts to predict that the militants will open up their next front here. Already, the Pakistan army has said that "splinter groups" from Jaish-e-Mohammad have been fighting alongside the Taliban in Swat. And Punjab is also home to front groups of Lashkar-e-Taiba, the outlawed militant group that was blamed for last November's Mumbai massacre.

Attack on Christians a further crisis for Pakistan - Los Angeles Times

Last edited:
you didn't get my message right. I meant Pakistan could take some inspiration fron Saudi society as to how to deal with non-muslim minorities.

My friend Miles, I understand your'e being sarcastic but its not funny at all, such words should not be used even for a joke's sake :sad:

Where are the white sheeps among Molvis? Why are they not taking out huge rallies in protest? Why are they being sheepish?

Lack of Coverage my friend :bad: by the papers, channels, whatever. You sure know what the media can do? right :what:

Do you think Muslim minorities in other countries should be dealt with the same way or removed or does this just apply to non Muslims in Muslims countries.

My friend Miles, I understand your'e being sarcastic but its not funny at all, such words should not be used even for a joke's sake :sad:

OK - let me remove sarcasm by suggesting to follow China instead of Saudi. I was trying to highlight the abolute control, unambiguous laws and strict implementation in both the societies. A little high handedness in exchange for stablity and long term peace is not a bad deal...at least until better ways to tackle the issues are found...

OK - let me remove sarcasm by suggesting to follow China instead of Saudi. I was trying to highlight the abolute control, unambiguous laws and strict implementation in both the societies. A little high handedness in exchange for stablity and long term peace is not a bad deal...at least until better ways to tackle the issues are found...

I don't think we want to be taking lessons from India about how to treat our minorities.

Western democracies are probably a better model to follow.

Remembering John Joseph
Rafia Zakaria

On May 6, 1998 Bishop John Joseph, the first Punjabi Roman Catholic priest and bishop, shot himself to death in front of the Sessions Court in Sahiwal. His death was a protest against the infamous blasphemy laws included in the Pakistan Penal Code that have made life miserable and precarious for religious minorities in the country.

A few years earlier, at the funeral of Manzur Masih, Bishop John Joseph had kissed the feet of the poor labourer’s corpse and vowed that he would be the next person to die at the hands of the draconian blasphemy law. Manzur Masih was already dead, having been shot by those who had accused him of blasphemy.

In the days prior to his suicide, Bishop John Joseph was helping put together an appeal for yet another poor Christian who was being persecuted under the Blasphemy law. Ayub Masih, an illiterate Christian, was accused of praising Salman Rushdie’s book The Satanic Verses and sentenced to death. Bishop John Joseph was appealing his death sentence before the Lahore Sessions Court when he chose to end his life to bring attention to the ignominy of Section 295-C of the Pakistan Penal Code.

And yet, despite the dramatic death of a promising Christian leader and the persecution of hundreds of Christians and Muslims at the behest of a vague and crudely-written law, nothing has been done by parliaments present and past to repeal it

The brutal killings in Gojra and the avalanche of barbarity and hatred with which a mob watched as innocent children as young as two years old died in their beds is yet another episode in the ignored plight of Pakistan’s minorities.

In the past year alone, scores of Pakistanis, including an eye doctor and his wife among others, have had to either flee the country or face charges of blasphemy at the hands of those who choose to avenge a vendetta by amassing a mob and drawing on misguided religious fervour. Accuse anyone of blasphemy, it seems, and one is guaranteed a supportive crowd of bloodthirsty avengers willing to kill even small children in the supposed name of faith.

The slew of Blasphemy laws contained in the Pakistan Penal Code is despicable not because the intent to protect the sanctity of our holy books and our faith is wrong. Indeed, blasphemy laws have existed since early medieval times in both eastern and Western societies. The perfidy of these particular blasphemy laws is that their poor construction essentially gives a blank cheque to the state and religious zealots.

Take for instance the fact that unlike any other crime, the construction of these laws removed any requirement that necessitates that the prosecution prove “intent” to commit the crime of blasphemy. The dismal result is that even “insinuation” of anything desecrating the Holy Prophet (PBUH) or the Holy Quran is punishable by death; the fact is that even an unintentional insinuation can lead to a death sentence. If this is not terrifying enough, the established precedent of cases tried under 295-C has allowed such convictions even when only a single witness is presented to corroborate the story. In other words, one man’s lie can legally take another man’s life.

If the Pakistani public was truly able to read the Holy Quran and understand it, it would also note another tragic inadequacy of Pakistan’s blasphemy laws. Nearly all the verses in the Holy Quran that address the crime of blasphemy treat the issue as a spiritual matter requiring existential repentance by the individual believer. In its status as our Divine spiritual text the Holy Quran also promises punishment in the afterlife and on the Day of Judgment for those that commit such crimes against the Oneness of God. There is however no correlation between the Quranic treatment of blasphemy and the positioning of blasphemy in the PPC as a crime that has no requirements of proof of intent and places all discretion in a state-appointed judge who arbitrarily decides the fate of the accused

Bishop John Joseph died nearly eleven years ago. His memory and the memory of hundreds of others killed by similar mobs and under dubious circumstances make only transient marks on the memory of the Pakistani public. Unable to truly grapple with the role of religion in state functions, Pakistanis seem to have settled for the myth that any law in their books calling itself “Islamic” is automatically worthy of the title. In this instance, the blasphemy law contained in the PPC accomplishes the most salacious ruse on our self-image as a piteous nation.

How could a law aiming to protect the sanctity of that which is most dear to us possibly be wrong? This question has and continues to stump Pakistanis and forces them into a trance that allows dictators and power-drunk rulers to force supposedly “Islamic” laws down the throats of an anaesthetised public.

The task becomes even easier when those persecuted under these laws are already the poorest and, unfortunately, most reviled members of our society. There is no Muslim in the world who would question that the core principles of Islam comprise mercy and justice. Yet, we forget both of these when evaluating our laws. It is true that discrimination exists everywhere in the world, but when it is given the legitimacy and support of a legal system it becomes the shame not of a few but of an entire society that allows it to exist

Empathy is rare in today’s Pakistan and it is difficult to find anyone who will shed a tear for a Bishop who died trying to draw attention to the hapless condition of a group of people who stand to be persecuted at the behest of those who are prepared to lie and kill in the name of religion. Entrapped in the circuitous logic that anything affixed with the label of faith must indeed be deserving of it, our moral and spiritual paralysis has led to yet another cataclysm which we, in our seemingly infinite apathy, will undoubtedly forget very soon.

Rafia Zakaria is an attorney living in the United States where she teaches courses on Constitutional Law and Political Philosophy. She can be contacted at rafia.zakaria@gmail.com

I would venture that a concerted and successful effort to repeal or to "humanize" Pakistan's blasphemy laws would be cathartic and uplifting for Pakistani unity. Also, during the political process required for such an effort, it would become clearer which Pakistani politicians and parties do, and do not, support the founding vision of Jinnah. Making that crystal clear would be very valuable for the Pakistani public and for international observers, even if the effort were to fail.

Again and again, Pakistanis, we are seeing the failure of State institutions because of gthe politicization of these institutions - as you read below, note the role of the police, this cannot go on, it's either Jinnah's Pakistan OR Islamist hell hole, you must decide or you may find you no longer will have the luxury of choice - choose wisely:

Flames of hate

By Nosheen Abbas
Saturday, 08 Aug, 2009 | 07:52 AM PST A Christian family sits in front of their destroyed house, after it was attacked by a mob in Gojra. –AP Photo/Alexandre Meneghini

Wide eyed, and alert, Javed and Irfaan, two brothers, step in to the house. They sit close to each other, almost in a huddle. Both look slightly anxious not knowing what to expect from our conversation, but as it progresses, they seem more at ease.

‘Two of my cousins and my aunt were burnt alive in the Gojra incident,’ Javed states, stressing on each word holding my gaze. Javed does most of the talking while 19-year-old Irfaan sits quietly staring and occasionally, faintly, repeating his brother’s last word. His cousins who were murdered were Honey who was in 8th grade and Saji, who was a little younger. Memories of them are as far away as seven to eight years, but they become ebullient as they reminisce about their horse play. ‘We used to play hide and seek...in the mountains, not like the ones here...we used to play that a lot,’ and they’re both smiling.

Javed oscillates between narrating the incident as he would to an investigator, standing on an emotional brink. Suddenly avoiding eye contact and looking into space, moist eyed, he pauses, ‘you know, I haven’t cried in years, but I cried so much when I heard about what happened.’

The attack that took place in Gojra on the 1st of August was a premeditated attack. Warning signs were given hours in advance with some armed victims keeping the attackers at bay for a few hours. All this time, the district police officer (DPO) opted to remain a silent spectator to the brutal killing and the police refused to step in. The mild admonition of the DPO entailed a transfer of his post. Given the grave outcome of the attack the state should have prosecuted the law enforcers who were supposed to adopt a strong stance against organised terrorism and against anyone who supports it, especially those who don’t prevent it from happening.

The incident at Gojra where seven Christian children women and men were burnt alive on the pretext of ‘blasphemy’ allegedly on the instigation of the banned Sipah-i-Sahaba is not an isolated incident. Minorities have been victims of many similar attacks in the past as well. Without a modicum of respite just a day after the Gojra incident, there was another vicious display of fanaticism in Sheikhupura when a factory owner was burnt alive. Incidents similar to these picked up pace after the blasphemy law was amended by the dictator, Ziaul Haq, creating a draconian version. It seems as if the only use of this amended law was for the purpose of misuse.

Isn’t it ironic that before Zia’s rule Pakistan had seldom witnessed such violent incidents. Majority of the Muslim countries, except for a few, don’t have blasphemy laws and no parallels can be found to the heinous incidents of murdering minorities in any part of the world as is in Pakistan. Since Zia’s politicisation of Islam, which corrupted the largely religiously-tolerant population, the state’s paucity of showing zero tolerance for raw crime has left the doors ajar for organised terrorism to flourish in Pakistan.

It wasn’t too long ago when Syed Mohammad Javed, the former commissioner of Malakand division, was openly siding and showing respect to Fazlullah and Sufi Mohammad – the very men whose militants carried out massacre and beheaded innocent civilians as well as personnel from the security forces. He even offered prayers behind Maulana Fazullah but the federal and provincial governments said nothing. It’s absolutely mind boggling to see the stark contradiction and oxymoronic actions of the government towards crimes and what has progressively become free organised terrorism

In a country where Muslims account for more than 90 per cent of the population one wonders why there is even a need for a blasphemy law. J. Salik, the former federal minister and activist for minority rights, says there are reasons beyond religion that has given way to this law. ‘The main issue of minorities is land,’ he says. Attacks have predominantly been caused to grab land. And the tactic to manipulate the minorities oft their lands has been on the basis of false allegations, laws and rumours of blasphemy.

‘I conducted a comparative study and found out that 99 per cent blasphemy cases were based on false allegations due to personal feuds, trumped and false charges,’ says former law minister and current head of Human Rights Commission of Pakistan Iqbal Haider.

But violence against minorities runs deeper than that, stemming from the fundamental attitude emanating from the majority, of distrust, disapproval and hatred based on religious differences which was truly ignited during Zia’s rule. The sense of who we are as a nation since then has been defined more by religious affiliations than by nationalistic association, and this has divided the country into even smaller bits, leading men to commit inhumane crimes that run against the very teachings of a religion which they claim to ardently follow — a religion that has been reduced to hollow rituals, igniting hate among people of different religions as well as among Muslims.

The day after the Gojra incident, a group of people gathered on a green belt outside the National Press Club in Islamabad. As one got closer one could hear a faint sound of hymns. The group was led by a woman with a child leaning against a tree. Those present sat in heavy silence and those who spoke did so just to give information as to why they were there. There was a substantial turn up from the Christian community, but unfortunately no Muslims were to be seen. That said a lot.

nosheenabbas@gmail.com

More Politics - PML-N style - no wonder the Talib never target them:

Accused in Gojra incident sent to jail

By Our Correspondent
Saturday, 08 Aug, 2009 | 10:46 AM PST | Homeless Christians mourn as more than 50 houses were set set ablaze in Gojra on August 1. -File photo Pakistan
Mob kills two in Sheikhupura for desecrating Quran

FAISALABAD: An anti-terrorism court judge sent 61 accused of the Gojra incident on judicial remand and granted 14 days physical remand of six others here on Friday.

The Gojra Sadar police produced 48 accused in the court and sought physical remand of six for 20 days for seizure of weapons and looted belongings of Christians.

However, the court granted 14 days remand and sent 42 accused on judicial remand.

The police are investigating the incident of Korian village in which scores of houses were set on fire by a mob on July 30 when they were informed that a few Christians had desecrated the Holy Quran. Gojra police produced 19 accused nominated in the supplementary statement.

The police are still clueless about the accused named in the FIR who torched Christian’s homes in Gojra city on Saturday. Resultantly, seven people were burnt alive.

FAISALABAD: An anti-terrorism court judge sent 61 accused of the Gojra incident on judicial remand and granted 14 days physical remand of six others here on Friday.

The Gojra Sadar police produced 48 accused in the court and sought physical remand of six for 20 days for seizure of weapons and looted belongings of Christians.

However, the court granted 14 days remand and sent 42 accused on judicial remand.

The police are investigating the incident of Korian village in which scores of houses were set on fire by a mob on July 30 when they were informed that a few Christians had desecrated the Holy Quran. Gojra police produced 19 accused nominated in the supplementary statement.

The police are still clueless about the accused named in the FIR who torched Christian’s homes in Gojra city on Saturday. Resultantly, seven people were burnt alive.

'Peacemakers’ implicated

Meanwhile, some PML-N leaders of Gojra have condemned the arrests saying that those who have been implicated in the case (including politicians) are actually 'peacemakers' who tried to convince the Muslims to avoid the attack on Christians.

At a press conference in Toba Tek Singh on Friday, they said that who instigated the people against Christians were enjoying immunity.

The nominated accused in the FIR include politicians Malik Qadeer Awan, a PML-N city president and Jamaat-i-Islami (Gojra) leader Rehmatullah Arshad, who remained busy in making announcements in mosques to urge the citizens not to let loose their ire against Christians. They alleged that Awan had been made an accused in the FIR on the pressure of a former MNA of Gojra.

They said when the desecration of the Holy Quran took place at Chak 95-JB, the police arrested chief suspect Talib Masih but he was later released on the pressure of the MNA. The public got provoked on seeing Talib roaming around in the village and torched more than 100 houses, they said.

Another reason that fanned the flame of Gojra violence was the shortage of policemen due to which Christians shot at and injured 13 Muslims (who are still under treatment), provoking the majority to retaliate. They demanded immediate withdrawal of a case against Qadeer Awan.

Meanwhile, religious scholars hit out at the Gojra police for arresting hundreds of Muslims on the charges of involvement in Gojra violence. They took Friday sermons as an opportunity to vent their feelings, accusing the police of abusing power and trampling the sanctity of households during raids.

They said the police had taken possession of hundreds of mobile phone sets and licenced arms during raids and detained scores of people at unknown places, inflicting physical and mental scars on them. They demanded immediate arrest of those who desecrated the Quran.

The civil society in Gojra and Toba Tek Singh tehsils has planned to organise a solidarity conference to promote peace and harmony on Saturday (today) at Gojra bar room.

INQUIRY: Justice Iqbal Hameedur Rehman of the Lahore High Court recorded statements of 20 Christians on the second day of proceedings in the additional district and sessions judge’s court.

SECTION 144: District Nazim Chaudhry Abdul Sattar on Friday imposed Section 144 all over the district, barring assembly of five or more persons at a place. The order will remain operative till further instructions.

DPO told to nab factory owner’s murderers
By Our Reporter
Saturday, 08 Aug, 2009 | 07:43 AM PST

LAHORE, Aug 7: Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khwaja Muhammad Sharif on Friday directed the Sheikhupura district police officer (DPO) to arrest the mastermind of the murder of Muridke factory owner Najeeb Zafar and his security guard.

The chief justice gave the directives to the DPO during the hearing of suo motu notice of the murders on the allegations of the desecration of the Holy Quran.

The DPO, who had been directed to appear with the record of the murder case, informed the court that five suspects had been arrested while the prime suspect Maulvi Shabber was still at large.

The chief justice had taken the suo motu notice of the newspapers reports stating that a mob of hundreds of people, including factory workers, attacked a leather processing unit near Muridke and killed owner Najeeb Zafar along with his guard following alleged desecration of Quranic verses.

All in a day work, Izlum for everyone:

Blasphemy allegation: Complainant disappears when asked to lodge FIR

By Our Correspondent
Saturday, 08 Aug, 2009 | 07:37 AM PST

SANGHAR, Aug 7: A shopkeeper who had accused a woman of desecrating the Holy Quran, causing violent street protests in the town on Thursday, has disappeared after police asked him to lodge an FIR against the woman, according to SHO Mohammad Ahmed Bhatti.

Mr Bhatti told journalists that the complainant, Siddique Arain, did not want to lodge the FIR. He disappeared after police made repeated attempts to contact him, he said.

Police have kept the woman, Ms Malkani, at the police station and deployed guards at her house.

A 10-member committee headed by Sanghar taluka nazim Saeed Khan Nizamani, which was formed after the protests, would meet on Saturday at the taluka council hall to discuss its findings. The members have interviewed eyewitnesses to ascertain facts.

Violence erupted in the town after Siddique Arain who ran a grocery shop near Ms Malkani’s house on the Mal Piri road spread the rumour that she had desecrated the holy book when he asked her to pay back Rs7,300 that she owed him.

Ms Malkani, 40, has denied the charge and said she had gone to the shop to settle a monetary dispute with Arain who showed her the book of accounts and demanded that amount mentioned in it be paid. Enraged at the inflated figure shown in the book she threw it on the ground, she claimed.

Later, she said, the shopkeeper made up the blasphemy allegation and at about 8pm gathered people of the neighbourhood and narrated the concocted story

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan called the riots "a comprehensive failure by the government to protect minorities."

Representing less than 2% of the nation's 175 million people, Christians historically have occupied the lower rungs of society, largely relegated to menial jobs. A law against making derogatory remarks about Islam or desecrating the Koran is often used to settle scores against Christians...

Akhlas, 18, and several relatives escaped up to the rooftop. The men put cooking pots on the heads of two children to shield them from stones thrown by the mob below. Akhlas and the others got away, but three women, one of Akhlas' brothers and two girls, ages 2 and 9, died in the burning bedroom.

"I'm not sure why we continue living in this country," Akhlas said. "We don't get a proper education, we don't get any opportunities, we only get jobs cleaning and sweeping streets.

"Here, we are second-class citizens."

Attack on Christians a further crisis for Pakistan - Los Angeles Times

Back
Top Bottom