What's new

Hockey World Cup

India face a must-win vs Spain

After the Australia setback, India look to pass the Spanish test on Thursday night as it's behind Spain on the goal difference.

Both teams have lost a match each, but the encounter is just that much more crucial for India. It's in fact make or break for Rajpal Singh and his men.

"I saw India's matches vs Pakistan and Australia. I was down with a viral, now I'm better, I hope to watch the match vs Spain in the ground," says Virender Sehwag.

When India take on World No 3 Spain, Coach Jose Brasa seems to have a simple formula for a win.

"We beat Pakistan, Pakistan beat Spain, so we beat Spain," he said.

Indeed Spain lost to Pakistan but the current Olympic silver medallists aren't going to be such pushovers, even if they are missing two big names.

"We can beat Spain. They are not like Australia and not looking so strong in this championship. And they will be missing two key players, Santi Freixa and Eduardo Tubau," said Jose Brasa.

Both India and Spain are coming off defeats, which is why this match is very crucial for both the sides.

As far as India is concerned, they would've identified their weaknesses and mistakes after the loss to Australia.

And now is the time to rectify those mistakes before it gets too late.

England encounter make or break: Haseem

Pakistan’s mercurial forward Haseem Khan says although a win against world number three Spain in their second World Cup tie has given a tremendous boost to his team, high-flying England will not be an easy prey in Thursday’s encounter.

The spearhead, who grabbed the match-winner for his side in the 2-1 victory over the Spaniards on Tuesday, said the game would be the most important for Pakistan as a loss would put the greenshirts out of contention.

“I must say England will not be easy to overcome. They are just brushing aside all their opponents with ease and are in ferocious form. They have become European champions and even defeated favourites Australia here. It’s better to watch out against such an outfit,” Haseem told Dawn.com from New Delhi on Wednesday.

England, who handed Australia 3-2 shock defeat in the ongoing World Cup, became the European champions after they stunned world number one Germany 5-3 in Amstelveen last year.

Haseem said although his side had won a series against England last year, the tough game against the English would be a make-or-break situation for Pakistan.

The rising Pakistan hockey star who made his debut at 2008 Hamburg Masters and later made headlines with his brilliant performance at Asia Cup last year, believed Pakistan won against Spain because they stuck to their game plan.

“We played according to our plan which we did not do against India. But our defence played really well against Spain. I think we played well but Spain also did well and forced more short corners than us.

“Considering the scenario of this World Cup, I would say anything could happen tomorrow as the match against England will be the toughest and will decide our fate,” he said.

On the 4-1 defeat against India on the opening day, Haseem said it was pressure of two initials goals by the Indians.

“We were certainly under pressure against India after conceding two goals. We improved against Spain and when we play England we will try not to repeat the mistakes which we had committed against India,” said the centre-forward who is playing his debut World Cup.

Although Pakistan’s team management had promised to give good results at the World Cup, the national side disappointed the fans with their defeat against arch-rivals, making it more difficult to remain in contention.

Despite the fact that Pakistan forward-line has shown signs of improvement, the English, who are serious contenders, might prove more formidable than the Indians and Spaniards given their excellent form.

DAWN.COM | Sport | England encounter make or break: Haseem

Pakistani team already missed a golden chance against India.
They disappointed and played very poor............there was no planning and execution.

Any ways...Now Its extremely hard for both Pak and India to make place in semi. For Pak beating Eng and Aus is just like beating Aus n SA in cricket.

And for India which is nodoubt little weaker then Pak squad will have to face Spain and England which are much batter teams from both Pak n India

India played a better game so they won. Pakistan was off colour. . I hope Pakistan team come back to form but it will not be easy.

It doesn't matter.

There is a large section who feel that having won the 1st match the world cup has been won !

The rest of the matches do not matter.

This shows the narrow mind of the nation. :rofl: :rofl:

Today 3 games

South Africa v Australia
England v Pakistan
India v Spain

Favourites are Australia, England & Spain.

For Pak and India its a Do or Die game

what time is Pakistan match today

i am waiting.................. please tell me in GMT or Pakistan time

Just started.

UK got a penality corner

Correction.

Its England alone.

There is a difference between England, UK and Great Britain.

They dont have united teams. All of them play separately.

Hence its just England not UK.

GB

goal by england

1 second ke liye nazar kya hatti meri :angry:

Back
Top Bottom