What's new

HMS Invincible has reached Turkey

AKINCI

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
39698.jpg

39696.jpg

Yesterday on 12 April 2011, the 5 tugs towing the hull of the former British aircraft carrier HMS Invincible arrived at Aliağa, İzmir.

She was beached at the ship breakers. Her dismantling and recycling will resume soon. It will take eight months to dismantle.

A Turkish ship breaker won the bid for the hull of the HMS Invincible despite a better bid from a Chinese company. It was speculated that UK was not keen to see another old aircraft carrier brought back to life in a Chinese shipyard.

The company claims that they have previously dismantled 5 other warships including HMS Cardiff, HMS Newcastle, HMS Glasgow, RFA Oakleaf and German destroyer Rommel.

Ship will be dismantled for scrap metal. But i'm sure the ship will be thoroughly examined. I've heard rumours that we're looking to build/acquire a Heli carrier in the future.

Ship will be dismantled for scrap metal. But i'm sure the ship will be thoroughly examined. I've heard rumours that we're looking to build/acquire a Heli carrier in the future.

Not rumour bro. There is already a project about it. Although it has called as LPD project, declared specifications points a LHD. If I can find new design which prepared by a Turkish firm, i may start a thread about this project.

Back
Top Bottom