What's new

HK-417A2 a worthy replacement for G3 battle rifles.

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
H&K have recently pulled out the upgraded Hk-417 called Hk-417A2. This now looks much more refined and suitable for a battle rifle than the previous 417. This would make a worthy replacement for the G-3s in service around the world including Pakistan.

tumblr_ms49u0jSR21ryr3vbo1_1280.jpg

__b_MS1_7345.jpg

MS1_7335.jpg

Which new rifle with good ergonomics is cheap these days? apart from ak series.. none?
That's not a simple thing to answer. When buying in bulk, the rifles would be significantly cheaper to buy than they would be individually; Add to that, Pakistan probably wouldn't buy the latest rifle to come out of the wood work. What Pakistan should be looking for is something newer and better than the G-3, but not so new that the cost may not be worth the purchase. Maybe a rifle that's post 2000s, but pre-2010s.

Anyways, I'm not an expert on rifles, or their costs. I haven't kept up to date on the small arms industry in a long time, so all I can do is make guesses based on really old information.

tl;dr take everything I've said with a pinch of salt.

That's not a simple thing to answer. When buying in bulk, the rifles would be significantly cheaper to buy than they would be individually; Add to that, Pakistan probably wouldn't buy the latest rifle to come out of the wood work. What Pakistan should be looking for is something newer and better than the G-3, but not so new that the cost may not be worth the purchase. Maybe a rifle that's post 2000s, but pre-2010s.

Anyways, I'm not an expert on rifles, or their costs. I haven't kept up to date on the small arms industry in a long time, so all I can do is make guesses based on really old information.

tl;dr take everything I've said with a pinch of salt.

the answer is none... the cheapest would be AK variants... which we are already using...

List of assault rifles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

post 2000s... very limited choice..

H&K have recently pulled out the upgraded Hk-417 called Hk-417A2. This now looks much more refined and suitable for a battle rifle than the previous 417. This would make a worthy replacement for the G-3s in service around the world including Pakistan.

__b_MS1_7345.jpg

MS1_7335.jpg

it is a nice reliable rifle, but is an ar platform, so will be prone to good upkeep. G3's on the other hand are very durable tack drivers...

Why does the G3 need replacement in the first place, they are pretty good rifles.

the answer is none... the cheapest would be AK variants... which we are already using...

List of assault rifles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

post 2000s... very limited choice..
Oh really? Mind posting the prices, and the quality of each rifle that's been posted in the list your provided? It seems that you're making a very broad assumption.

The AK is not even a choice, because it's already in active service in Pakistan.

it is a nice reliable rifle, but is an ar platform, so will be prone to good upkeep. G3's on the other hand are very durable tack drivers...

Why does the G3 need replacement in the first place, they are pretty good rifles.
The G-3 is an old system, and while it is good at what it does, it's also a burden (weight is far too much for a modern gun).

Also, the PA is a professional army, training soldiers to handle the rifle and keep it clean shouldn't be a major problem.

That is a very good looking rifle and I think a worthy replacement. I still find it interesting that Pakistan's military is bucking the trend and sticking with the 7.62 NATO calibre. As for the AR style action, like the new American weapons, they are not the same as the old M16 series in that they are not a direct gas system but use a piston which greatly reduces chamber fouling and jamming. I think it will be great! :sniper:

The new Turkish MPT-76 Battle Rifle may be an option for Pakistan. Apparently it is based on the Hk-417. Most likely it has a much lower price. Maybe at IDEAS we might see some discussions about this idea. We just have to wait and see.

10336636_619534621472278_6894120026349049723_n-jpg.28027

10246311_619534694805604_8401938926105255063_n-jpg.28024

10291099_619534298138977_6936403550902934290_n-jpg.28025

10320539_619534494805624_8736385802812393374_n-jpg.28026

^^^ Another 7.62 NATO weapon. Nice! :enjoy:
Soldiers headed for Afghanistan are being re-trained to use newly-converted, enhanced M14s. At Johnson Field in Ft. Campbell, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, and Clarksville, Tennessee, select soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, are training with their new Mark 14 Enhanced Battle Rifles (EBR). These troops are going to serve as an 11-man Personnel Security Detachment (PSD) team.

What’s old is new again as the EBR is based on the 7.62 NATO M14 battle rifle and is set up as a Designated Marksman’s Rifle and issued to soldiers who need the more potent cartridge and increased range over what the 5.56 NATO M4 carbine provides.
M14EBRRI1.jpg

“Today we are practicing and familiarizing ourselves with our new M14 7.62mm weapon before we go to the range in preparation for our fall deployment to Afghanistan,” said Spc. Daniel Lueptow. “Though I understand the need for adjustment for this upcoming deployment, I enjoyed the older model and did well with it on my last deployment.”

Since 2004 branches of the U.S. military has been re-issuing the M14 in EBR form, starting with the Navy SEALs and the Coast Guard. The Army has really embraced the EBR and has made two available for every infantry squad deployed to Afghanistan—it’s not just for select units.

For a time the Army re-issued standard M14 rifles but their fixed wooden stocks and lacking optics options made them a poor fit for modern soldiers. The Mark 14 is based on a standard M14 that has been outfitted with a shortened, heavy barrel with a new flash hider that has been bolted to a completely different chassis, complete with a quad rail, pistol grip and telescoping buttstock. These rifles are also issued with scopes for long-range shooting.

SoldiersissuedenhancedM14s1.jpg

These PSD troops are training on the Army-specific variant of the Mark 14 EBR, the M14EBR-RI. The Army’s EBR features a standard-weight and -length barrel, but otherwise maintains all of the other EBR improvements, including the chassis.

“I am learning the basic know-how of the M14s on site picture, the trigger squeeze and just the fundamentals on the weapons system in preparation for deployment,” said Pvt. Dylan McGalliard. “Growing up the way I did, we had a lot of hunting rifles that were the same caliber as this one, but on the military side this is my first time with a fancy one like this.”

Many people are happy to see that the Army and other branches of the U.S. military are bringing back the big .30 caliber long-stroke gas piston-operated rifles, with about the only criticism against them being that they’re not lightweight rifles. The M14EBR-RI weighs about 11.5 pounds unloaded and measures in at 40 inches long. That being said, they’re also soft-shooting and effective well beyond 800 meters with glass.

The Army is also testing new ammunition for the M4 carbine, improving its range to about 600 meters. Combined with these DMRs, our infantry are more effective at greater ranges than ever before.

If you like the idea of decking out your own M14 in the new EBR style, you can get one of several different designs manufactured by Sage International, who also supplies the military with theirs. If you like the idea but want something a little different, check out Troy International’s M14 offerings.

Photo credit Spc. Kadina Baldwin.

More Army troops getting enhanced M14 rifles - Guns.com

Last edited:

__b_MS1_7345.jpg

MS1_7335.jpg

weird rifle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom