What's new

History of Pashtuns-Updates And Discussions

Seriously??? Where did u get this crap from? Khushal khattak was pro mughal, he was their pawn. He defended mughals and fought other pashtun tribes like yousafzais. Only when he was kicked out by mughals and betrayed, then he became their enemy but then he was useless. Also he is never referred as father of pashto poetry, that is rehman baba. He was a mediocre poet and mediocre leader. He was defeated by yousafzais.
we only read about khushhal khan and rehman baba in ptb regarding pashto poetry.
nice info.

Violence subsided in late 1937 and after brief flare-ups in 1938 and 1939 the North West Frontier was relatively quiet until India became independent in 1947.
did they get any help from other afghan tribes living in afghanistan territory regarding fighting man power and weapons?

and why actually britishers attacked waziristan?
what were the aims?
i mean they attacked india because subcontinent was a very rich region with great agri resources.

did they get any help from other afghan tribes living in afghanistan territory regarding fighting man power and weapons?

and why actually britishers attacked waziristan?
what were the aims?
i mean they attacked india because subcontinent was a very rich region with great agri resources.

I can only tell you that the British feared for there colony in India against Russian aggression or invasion so they thought was a prime reason for their Afghanistan invasion the first wars I think. Anglo afghan wars eventually turned Afghanistan into a buffer zone between these 2 powers

I can only tell you that the British feared for there colony in India against Russian aggression or invasion so they thought was a prime reason for their Afghanistan invasion the first wars I think. Anglo afghan wars eventually turned Afghanistan into a buffer zone between these 2 powers
WELL THAT MAKES SENSE

1662228562611.png

A British officer is shot dead by Khostwal tribesmen at Spina Khaisora (North Waziristan), 1915.

Artist : Edgar Holloway

On 7 January 1915 a Khostwal lashkar (comprising of Zadrans, Tanis and Gurbaz) entered Waziristan to attack British posts in the Tochi valley (North Waziristan). They were attacking British posts in Waziristan because Britain had declared war against Ottoman caliphate on 5 November 1914. The British officer who got killed by the Khostwals at Spina Khaisora in Tochi valley, was given Victoria Cross by their government.

@Maula Jatt @Imad.Khan @TNT @ziaulislam @Dalit @akramishaqkhan @Muhammad Saftain Anjum @kingQamaR @Khan_patriot @Khan2727 @WarKa DaNG

'A Tochi Scout Tough stuff', Dosalli, North Waziristan, North-West Frontier, 1937 (c).

1666454595340.png

The Tochi Scouts was part of the Frontier Corps which consisted of a number of scout units stationed in fortified posts in the tribal territories.

In late 1936 there was growing agitation against British rule in Waziristan, led by the Waziri leader Ghazi Mirzali Khan Wazir, 'the Fakir of Ipi'. In response the British launched a military operation into the Khaisora Valley, hoping that a show of strength alone would suffice to reduce unrest.

However, the two main columns of troops met stiff resistance and their supply lines were disrupted, forcing them to retire. The operation's failure triggered a wider insurrection and the ensuing guerrilla war drew in more British and Indian forces. Over 30,000 troops, together with aircraft and armoured cars, were deployed to the region.

Violence subsided in late 1937 and after brief flare-ups in 1938 and 1939 the North-West Frontier was relatively quiet until India became independent in 1947.

From an album of 347 photographs compiled by Captain (Later Major) Wynne Howes-Roberts, 1st Battalion 13th Frontier Force Rifles, India and UK, 1936-1937 (c).

Damdil, Waziristan, 1937 (c).

1666455073652.png

Picket in Damdil manned by Gurkhas (original picture) Written at the back: Waziristan Operation ’37 Damdil – Ghurka picuet at Damdil which was attacked by tribesmen.

Although every member of picquet was either killed or wounded, they frustrated attackers killing many. Several Ghurkas were awarded medals for bravery. The pictured defensive position known as ‘sangar’, was attacked by the tribesmen throughout the night and defended by only 8 Gurkhas soldiers of 2/5 Gurkhas who hold it until the back-up arrived at dawn. Of the eight, Dalbahadur Gurung and Uttamsing Rana were killed, the other six pictured survived the series of attacks on 20 March 1937.

Royal Mail Service Waziristan, 1946 (c).

1666455537378.png

Armed Like A Wild West Stagecoach, A Royal Mail Bus Runs The Outlaws Ganlet.

Source - The National Geographic Magazine "South Of Khyber Pass", Year 1946.
Author - Maynard Owen Williams.

Shabqadar Fort, Charsadda, 1920's (c).

1666636846459.png

The Fort Was Built By Architect Tota Ram In 1837 During Reign Of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

Work In Progress On Galanai Road During 2nd Mohmand Campaign, Mohmand, 1935 (c).

1667072676906.png

The Second Mohmand Campaign Of 1935 Was A British Military Campaign Against The Mohmand Tribes In The North-West Frontier Area Of British India, Now Pakistan. Tanks Were Used, The First Operational Use Of Tanks In British India.

The First Mohmand Campaign In 1897–98 Followed Earlier Military Expeditions In 1851–1852, 1854, 1864, 1879, 1880. After The First Mohmand Campaign, There Was The Mohmand Expedition Of 1908 And The Mohmand And Bajaur Operations Of 1933, Taking About A Month In August.

Standing stones in Yusafzai Distt Swabi KPK (Pakistan).
Date: 1865

1669502338432.png

Asota Megaliths of Shewa village in Swabi are perhaps one of the rarest and oldest surviving man-made features of the KP province. Often referred to as the “Stonehenge of Pakistan” the standing stones are believed to date back to the Achaemenian period (550-330 BC).

The researchers have associated the circle of stones, each stone approximately 10 feet high, with the philosophy of sun-worshippers of that time. It was a revered site and there may have been two other such ‘sun temple’ sites in the nearby area in the past, however, the Asota Megaliths have remarkably survived the ravages of time to this day. Many interesting myths and superstitions in the local folklore are connected with this curious circle of stones.

One legend recounts that once there was a marriage procession travelling from one village to another when they were ambushed by outlaws on the way. Fearing dishonour at the hands of the robbers the females in the party sought divine help, and they were petrified in their rock state that very instant. Locals identify different stone slabs with bride, groom and other members of the marriage procession.

The site was previously protected by the Federal Archaeology Department and has been transferred to the Provincial Directorate of Archaeology recently. This lesser-known wonder has tremendous tourism potential and is in need of urgent preservation and upkeep because of its unparalleled significance.
Felton Smith

Thal in the Kurram, Showing The Road Bridge Over The Kurram River To Parachinar, 1920 (c).

1669688048377.png

The fort at Thal guarded the strategically vital Kurram valley. On the outbreak of the 3rd Afghan War (1919`), it was garrisoned by four under-strength battalions of Sikhs and Gurkhas and a squadron of Indian cavalry under the command of Brigadier-General Alexander Eustace. They were soon besieged by a large Afghan regular force under the command of General Nadir Khan.

The Afghans were able to occupy a tower 500 yards (460 metres) from the fort and from there they were able to set fire to several food dumps.

Although under constant attack for a week the garrison held out until they were relieved on 2 June 1919 by a brigade from Peshawar led by Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer.

I heard that pukhtuns outside of waziris and northern Balochistan are dardics who have been Pashtunized after the 1500s etc(common phenomenon Arabs, Turks), is this true or like "somewhat"/complicated true as dardics were native people who have mixed heavily with and assimilated into the pukhtun culture?
What do you think of this theory, peshwar valley, Swat etc and other such places were dardic areas historically and some potohari Punjabi were around too in the Indus border areas similar to now with hazarawal region but it was mostly a dardic area
Cause yousafzai of swat have the closest DNA to ancient ghandharan people after that kamboh and than couple other local KPK Pashtun tribes

but yousafzai moved there in the 1400,1500s this triggered my very basic research into this , so like I am interested in knowing the prescriptive of pukhtuns of those areas especially or anyone more knowledgeable than me
What do y'all of this?, I am somewhat confused cause migration history of Pashtun tribes most certainly happened but than why are the people still closer to the native ancient people of their lands - was it assimilation by these tribes into a larger pakhtun identity?

@DESERT FIGHTER @RealNapster @TNT @Talwar e Pakistan

Last edited:
I heard that pukhtuns outside of waziris and northern Balochistan are dardics who have been Pashtunized after the 1500s etc(common phenomenon Arabs, Turks), is this true or like "somewhat"/complicated true as dardics were native people who have mixed heavily with and assimilated into the pukhtun culture?
What do you think of this theory, peshwar valley, Swat etc and other such places were dardic areas historically and some potohari Punjabi were around too in the Indus border areas similar to now with hazarawal region but it was mostly a dardic area
Cause yousafzai of swat have the closest DNA to ancient ghandharan people after that kamboh and than couple other local KPK Pashtun tribes

but yousafzai moved there in the 1400,1500s this triggered my very basic research into this , so like I am interested in knowing the prescriptive of pukhtuns of those areas especially or anyone more knowledgeable than me
What do y'all of this?, I am somewhat confused cause migration history of Pashtun tribes most certainly happened but than why are the people still closer to the native ancient people of their lands - was it assimilation by these tribes into a larger pakhtun identity?

@DESERT FIGHTER @RealNapster @TNT @Talwar e Pakistan

My opinion

I don't think it is truth or even near that. Yous see, majority of us "urbanized peshawri and nowshera" Pashtoons when look at our family tree, it goes back to some area of Afghanistan. My own family tree touches to Ghazni area of Afghanistan. This is the case with majority of us. Yousufzai etc are tribes (very old tribes) of Pashtoons and I don't know they only exist since 1500s.

Btw Yousufzai themselves migrated from Suleiman Mountains near Hindukush in 16th century. It is the largest tribe of Pashtoons. Peshawar still have 30% population of Hindko speakers. Why we failed to convert them ? You see, Pashtoons would have never allowed other ethnicities into their tribal system even if they learnt to speak Pashto. It was a really closed social system.

Back
Top Bottom