What's new

History of Kafiristan

@Samandri
Are Kailash people anywhere related to Pashtuns? at some point i.e Language, traits? or completely Aliens to each other?

I had done a lot of research on Kafiristan for my novel. Fascinating history of Buddhism - and how Kafiristan became Nuristan. In answer to the question - the Kalash are completely distinct anthropologically. They are probably of European origin but they do worship some Hindu deities like Indra.

@Samandri
Are Kailash people anywhere related to Pashtuns? at some point i.e Language, traits? or completely Aliens to each other?
Just like Pashtuns, Kalash have very fair skin and hawkish features with larger heads comparatively to Punjabis, it is not uncommon to find both Kalash and Pashtuns from remote valleys exhibiting blonde or red hair with same complexion as people from Balkans or south Russia. I would imagine their is some relationship between the Pashtuns and Dardic tribes as they live adjacent to each other, and the Kalash are classified as a Dardic tribe.

@Samandri
They are not related by language, customs or origin to Pashtuns, Kalash people are part of the people, historically been referred to as "Kafirs". Though they are not alien to each other and much of the history of Kafiristan (Now Nuristan) deals with neighboring Afghan tribes........from the article i shared, it seems they once inhabited the large tracts of eastern and central Afghanistan and were pushed North-wards by the Afghans/Pashtuns from Sulieman mountains. Many of the conquered ( described as red-complexioned people in Afghan sources) Kafirs, were converted to Islam forceibly by Pashtuns and were kept as denizens ......the much reduced Dehgans of Nangarhar, Kunar and Laghman (who nowadays call themselves Tajiks), are descendants of the Kafirs. British officers of 18th century observed that Kafirs are on friendly terms with Chitralis, Gilgatis and Badakhshanis but are deadly enemies of Afghans. Raverty, in his notes, describes the peculiar customs of Kafirs and their enmity with Afghans (Pashtuns) in great detail

If any one is interested in reading about unique culture and customs of Kafirs, of 18th century, in detail, the links of the papers are

Notes on Kafiristan by Raverty from 1859.pdf - Solidfiles

Notes on the Chugani and Neighbouring Tribes of Kafiristan by Tanner s1881.pdf - Solidfiles

I had done a lot of research on Kafiristan for my novel. Fascinating history of Buddhism - and how Kafiristan became Nuristan. In answer to the question - the Kalash are completely distinct anthropologically. They are probably of European origin but they do worship some Hindu deities like Indra.
Its actually stupid to build up myths about their origin without any concrete scientific evidence. What genetics study say about origin of kalashi People? Does it support that they descendants of Greeks/Macedonian/Albanians/Armies of Alexander or even European? Some say Kalash religion is part of Zoroastrians

Just like Pashtuns, Kalash have very fair skin and hawkish features with larger heads comparatively to Punjabis, it is not uncommon to find both Kalash and Pashtuns from remote valleys exhibiting blonde or red hair with same complexion as people from Balkans or south Russia. I would imagine their is some relationship between the Pashtuns and Dardic tribes as they live adjacent to each other, and the Kalash are classified as a Dardic tribe.

Kalash are an older people. A genetic isolate.

EDIT: forgot to add, this graph shows how close they are genetically to surrounding populations.

upload_2016-1-19_18-8-41.png

Last edited:
Could you clarify what you meant by "older people".

I think he means they have been residing in relative isolation in their part of the world prior to the migration of Pashtuns, Tajiks etc into their region, hence why their genetic makeup is so distinct from Pashtuns/Tajiks/Punjabis. They are a Basque type people, who have lived in their land far longer than their neighbours have in theirs. Their religion is some sort of proto-indo european religion, and my gut instinct is that they are the remnants of the original Indo-Europeans (also known as Aryans), who have maintained their distinct appearance and religion because of the isolation of the mountains within which they reside, whilst their cousins who travelled further on into the plains mingled with the local populace to become today's Punjabis, Hindkos etc.

I think he means they have been residing in relative isolation in their part of the world prior to the migration of Pashtuns, Tajiks etc into their region, hence why their genetic makeup is so distinct from Pashtuns/Tajiks/Punjabis. They are a Basque type people, who have lived in their land far longer than their neighbours have in theirs. Their religion is some sort of proto-indo european religion, and my gut instinct is that they are the remnants of the original Indo-Europeans (also known as Aryans), who have maintained their distinct appearance and religion because of the isolation of the mountains within which they reside, whilst their cousins who travelled further on into the plains mingled with the local populace to become today's Punjabis, Hindkos etc.
Pashtuns do not live in their region, it is Chitralis, Kohistanis and Pashai. \the closest Pashtuns are in Swat, Dir and Kunar.
The Dardic tribes seem to have been their for as long as the Kalash who may well be Dardic themselves or certainly very similar.

Pashtuns do not live in their region, it is Chitralis, Kohistanis and Pashai. \the closest Pashtuns are in Swat, Dir and Kunar.
The Dardic tribes seem to have been their for as long as the Kalash who may well be Dardic themselves or certainly very similar.

Pushtuns swept in to the region as part of the Iranic migration eastwards and are a mixture of indigenous and the mentioned Iranic tribes. These Kalash, on the other hand were already living here. I don't have the exact details at the moment, this is just what I remember last time I read on this topic.

@Samandri will probably be able to tell more on the Iranic migration in to Afghanistan/North Pakistan. Kalasha, were one of the people already living in these areas and were mostly subjugated by what became the Pushtuns. @Samandri is more knowledgeble than me in this arena, have I missed something?

I remember reading your posts from older threads. We really need to do open a thread of the history of Pakistani tribes and their purported origins. I know you have more knowledge than me in this regard.

As Samandri pointed in an earlier post, they once resided in the wider region extending up to C and E Afghanistan. The western kin of the Kalash were only finally defeated and assimilated by Emir Abdur Rahman Khan in the late 1800s, and "Kafiristan" subsequently came to be known as Nuristan. The Kalash across the Durand Line however survived, as they officially came within British borders.

I remember reading your posts from older threads. We really need to do open a thread of the history of Pakistani tribes and their purported origins. I know you have more knowledge than me in this regard.

That would be interesting. Interest in our tribes and history is rather limited so it is hard to get enough people together to initiate discussions on such topics. However @Atanz and @Samandri and some other fellows whose names I cant remember now, possess a lot of knowledge about our history, and if they are willing then we should certainly go down that route. I myself am a Kamboh/Kamboj and can shed light on our history.

@Pakistani Exile @Kambojaric What I am trying to say is that those areas of central and eastern afghanistan were inhabited not necessarily by the Kalash but by the forefather of Chitralis, Kohistanis, Pashia and Gilgitis, the question is are these groups related to Nuristanis/Kalash?

Back
Top Bottom