What's new

Hindus consider themselves INDIAN in Bangladesh. Questionable alliance?

scholseys

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
The anomaly of a secular Bangladesh

Sheikh Hasina should draw a veil over the nation's blood-soaked past, moderate her quest for justice and resolve the dilemma of the Bengali and Muslim identities

Begum Khaleda Zia's snub to Pranab Mukherjee sadly confirmed that Bangladeshis are still fighting yesterday's battles. They still suffer from the dilemma Zulfikar Ali Bhutto tried to exploit by arguing mischievously during the liberation war that if "Muslim Bangla" was primarily Bengali, it should merge with West Bengal. If it was Islamic, it should remain in Pakistan.

The politics of that illogical and unnecessary conflict between religion and language explains why Sheikh Hasina Wazed, whose ruling Awami League is identified with secular linguistic nationalism, baulks at repealing the constitutional amendment, making Islam the state religion. Nearly 91 per cent of Bangladeshis being Muslim, both the Jamaat-i-Islami and Begum Zia's Bangladesh Nationalist Party would exploit any diminution of the role of Islam.

Though not fundamentalists, Ziaur Rahman and General H M Ershad made inroads into Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's secular constitution for populist reasons. Mujib himself rightly blamed the perpetrators of Operations Blitz and Searchlight for the "biggest human disaster in the world" and passed the Collaborators (Special Tribunals) Order only 10 days after returning to Dhaka. Over 37,000 suspected war criminals were rounded up.

They were all freed, however, when Mujib found it expedient to declare a general amnesty in November 1973. Among those released were East Pakistan's last civilian governor, Abdul Motaleb Malik, and an implacable opponent of both liberation and Mujib personally, Shah Azizur Rahman. In a twist of fate in 1979, Rahman became prime minister of the Bangladesh whose birth he had vehemently opposed.

I won't go into Khondakar Mustaque Ahmed's revocation of the Collaborators Order or passage of an Indemnity Act. He is one of the baddies. He promoted Mujib's killers to high rank and sent them abroad as diplomats. But Mujib himself revived the Islamic Academy, achieved a rapprochement with Pakistan, and took Bangladesh into the Organisation of the Islamic Conference and the Islamic Development Bank. Those who knew him towards the end say "Khuda Hafiz" had replaced "Joy Bangla" as his favourite greeting. He was a pragmatist. He was also a politician. Politics is the art of compromise.

No purpose is served by Indians declaiming that the Talibanisation of Bangladesh will imperil our security, or that the Shahbag Square demonstrators have morality on their side. Sheikh Hasina's first priority is survival. While every Bangladeshi leader craves the imprimatur of India's acceptance, no Bangladeshi leader can afford to be seen as India's protégé. Strident secularism would be denounced as not just betraying Islam, but betraying Islam to India.

For precisely that reason, Sheikh Hasina would be well-advised to moderate her quest for justice, which has followed a zigzag path in Bangladesh. As coups and counter-coups succeeded each other, the courts took their cue from the political authority. Even without the complaints of human rights' activists who fault Sheikh Hasina's International Crimes Tribunal for not respecting world standards of due process, whatever she does is likely to be denounced as vengeance.

That is something Mujib's daughter can never afford to forget. Five of her parents' murderers were executed 35 years after the crime. It's time now for her to recall the indulgence Mujib showed to war collaborators and draw a veil over the blood-soaked past. South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission offers a precedent in reaching out to yesterday's enemies to save the future.

Expressions of Indian support for the Shahbag Square demonstrators will only complicate her task. India can help best by expediting the proposed South Asian market and promoting the measures needed to draw Bangladesh into a growth triangle that encompasses the northeastern states and the Bay of Bengal region.

It wasn't fashionable to admit it, but the nine million refugees who fled to India in 1971 were mostly Hindus, victims as much of Pakistani repression as of local Muslim brutality. They didn't want to go back after liberation but had to when Indian army bulldozers razed their camps and Indian soldiers forced them into trucks at bayonet point. I asked a returning Hindu peasant if he regarded himself a Bangladeshi. "No," he replied. "You can call me an Indian living in Bangladesh!"

That may be an inescapable identification. But, otherwise, India must be seen as the friend of all Bangladeshis, not just of a particular lobby. Bangladeshis alone can resolve the dilemma - if one exists - of their Bengali and Muslim identities.

As I have said before in this column, India's best friend would be a Bangladesh that is not paying off old scores, but has come to terms with the past and is at peace with itself.

The anomaly of a secular Bangladesh | Business Standard

When they were targeted by Pakistani Army, their women raped, children killed, India gave refuge to 9 million Bangladeshis. Tell me, won't they have a soft spot for India who saved 9 million people but they had to be sent back because we can't have extra population after war was over.

So the fault was Pakistani Army's Muslims targeting Hindus, and people are questioning the alliance of Hindus in Bangladesh.

It was we who gave you arms and strengthen your Mukti bahini, it was us who fought for you, helped you to get your freedom.

And after saving 9 million and helping you in Independence, you blame India and Hindus of Bangladesh for your problems ?

They are less than 10% and 90 % are Muslims. So shouldn't you ask for loyalty of Bangladeshi Muslims ?

Although this article 'accidentally' slips many secrets in, I would still prefer that pro-Bangladeshi forces nurture, develop and support its own media. Islamic and Nationalist forces are seriously lagging when it comes to representing the truth in the media even in Bangla language. In English, they are terribly 'outgunned'.

The situation needs to be remedied.

When they were targeted by Pakistani Army, their women raped, children killed, India gave refuge to 9 million Bangladeshis. Tell me, won't they have a soft spot for India who saved 9 million people but they had to be sent back because we can't have extra population after war was over.

So the fault was Pakistani Army's Muslims targeting Hindus, and people are questioning the alliance of Hindus in Bangladesh.

It was we who gave you arms and strengthen your Mukti bahini, it was us who fought for you, helped you to get your freedom.

And after saving 9 million and helping you in Independence, you blame India and Hindus of Bangladesh for your problems ?

They are less than 10% and 90 % are Muslims. So shouldn't you ask for loyalty of Bangladeshi Muslims ?

1. 10% is way too large a number to be ignored. Anybody with questionable loyalty, especially with an expansionist, radical, deceptive, mendacious, backbiting entity like "Republic of India" - with the associated history of Bangladesh in 1905 and 1947 - is naturally inimical to the interests of Bangladesh, which has a distinct identity as the events of 1905 and 1947 marked out.

2. Why are you - as a citizen of secular "Republic of India" - poking your nose into the affairs of Bangladesh and siding with the Hindus? This action gives further impetus to the idea that they are a possible 5th column conspiring against Bangladesh. It'd be better if you stopped poking your nose into Bangladeshi domestic affairs, and stopped siding with any tiny minority if you really cared for the well being of "Hindus" in BD.

3. Like most other Indians that pollute this sub-forum, and their agents, you also go on the ignore list from now.

The anomaly of a secular Bangladesh

Sheikh Hasina should draw a veil over the nation's blood-soaked past, moderate her quest for justice and resolve the dilemma of the Bengali and Muslim identities

Begum Khaleda Zia's snub to Pranab Mukherjee sadly confirmed that Bangladeshis are still fighting yesterday's battles. They still suffer from the dilemma Zulfikar Ali Bhutto tried to exploit by arguing mischievously during the liberation war that if "Muslim Bangla" was primarily Bengali, it should merge with West Bengal. If it was Islamic, it should remain in Pakistan.

The politics of that illogical and unnecessary conflict between religion and language explains why Sheikh Hasina Wazed, whose ruling Awami League is identified with secular linguistic nationalism, baulks at repealing the constitutional amendment, making Islam the state religion. Nearly 91 per cent of Bangladeshis being Muslim, both the Jamaat-i-Islami and Begum Zia's Bangladesh Nationalist Party would exploit any diminution of the role of Islam.

Though not fundamentalists, Ziaur Rahman and General H M Ershad made inroads into Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's secular constitution for populist reasons. Mujib himself rightly blamed the perpetrators of Operations Blitz and Searchlight for the "biggest human disaster in the world" and passed the Collaborators (Special Tribunals) Order only 10 days after returning to Dhaka. Over 37,000 suspected war criminals were rounded up.

They were all freed, however, when Mujib found it expedient to declare a general amnesty in November 1973. Among those released were East Pakistan's last civilian governor, Abdul Motaleb Malik, and an implacable opponent of both liberation and Mujib personally, Shah Azizur Rahman. In a twist of fate in 1979, Rahman became prime minister of the Bangladesh whose birth he had vehemently opposed.

I won't go into Khondakar Mustaque Ahmed's revocation of the Collaborators Order or passage of an Indemnity Act. He is one of the baddies. He promoted Mujib's killers to high rank and sent them abroad as diplomats. But Mujib himself revived the Islamic Academy, achieved a rapprochement with Pakistan, and took Bangladesh into the Organisation of the Islamic Conference and the Islamic Development Bank. Those who knew him towards the end say "Khuda Hafiz" had replaced "Joy Bangla" as his favourite greeting. He was a pragmatist. He was also a politician. Politics is the art of compromise.

No purpose is served by Indians declaiming that the Talibanisation of Bangladesh will imperil our security, or that the Shahbag Square demonstrators have morality on their side. Sheikh Hasina's first priority is survival. While every Bangladeshi leader craves the imprimatur of India's acceptance, no Bangladeshi leader can afford to be seen as India's protégé. Strident secularism would be denounced as not just betraying Islam, but betraying Islam to India.

For precisely that reason, Sheikh Hasina would be well-advised to moderate her quest for justice, which has followed a zigzag path in Bangladesh. As coups and counter-coups succeeded each other, the courts took their cue from the political authority. Even without the complaints of human rights' activists who fault Sheikh Hasina's International Crimes Tribunal for not respecting world standards of due process, whatever she does is likely to be denounced as vengeance.

That is something Mujib's daughter can never afford to forget. Five of her parents' murderers were executed 35 years after the crime. It's time now for her to recall the indulgence Mujib showed to war collaborators and draw a veil over the blood-soaked past. South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission offers a precedent in reaching out to yesterday's enemies to save the future.

Expressions of Indian support for the Shahbag Square demonstrators will only complicate her task. India can help best by expediting the proposed South Asian market and promoting the measures needed to draw Bangladesh into a growth triangle that encompasses the northeastern states and the Bay of Bengal region.

It wasn't fashionable to admit it, but the nine million refugees who fled to India in 1971 were mostly Hindus, victims as much of Pakistani repression as of local Muslim brutality. They didn't want to go back after liberation but had to when Indian army bulldozers razed their camps and Indian soldiers forced them into trucks at bayonet point. I asked a returning Hindu peasant if he regarded himself a Bangladeshi. "No," he replied. "You can call me an Indian living in Bangladesh!"

That may be an inescapable identification. But, otherwise, India must be seen as the friend of all Bangladeshis, not just of a particular lobby. Bangladeshis alone can resolve the dilemma - if one exists - of their Bengali and Muslim identities.

As I have said before in this column, India's best friend would be a Bangladesh that is not paying off old scores, but has come to terms with the past and is at peace with itself.

The anomaly of a secular Bangladesh | Business Standard

are you Bdeshi, canadian or muslim?

Its nothing but making Hindus the fall guy for the problems created by and created in 90 % Muslims of Bangladesh.

And if I am not wrong the % of Hindus has been decreasing for years in the total population of Bangladesh.

Can anyone tell me why is that ?

Its nothing but making Hindus the fall guy for the problems created by and created in 90 % Muslims of Bangladesh.

And if I am not wrong the % of Hindus has been decreasing for years in the total population of Bangladesh.

one reason i saw that some converted to Muslim. i am eye witness :)

in general the hindus are ok in BD i think like the muslims of india.
when trouble happens then some elements target hindus, like in india. but hindus of bd are not violent like some muslims of india.
the muslims of india are violent because of the support from pakistan. hindus of BD are not violent because india is non-violent.
many hindus from bothe WB and BD and many muslims of BD realise that there is a border but in practise it is transparent.
I have been to BD and know. in general BD is not a problem for india right now as its citizens are not violent minded like pakistan , and they tend towards secularism. the main problem they have with india is more trade related. So we should support BD as much as possible.

one reason i saw that some converted to Muslim. i am eye witness :)
Alarming decrease in Hindu population in Bangladesh :: Weekly Blitz

According to statistics available with the government sources, the proportionate decrease in Hindu population is around nine hundred thousand.

The statistics show almost elimination of Hindu population in fifteen districts in the country.

Most of the Hindu families in those districts were forced to leave the country. In 2001, the total number of Hindu population in Bangladesh was 16.83 million, while the population was expected to be 18.2 million in 2011. But the latest statistics available with the government shows the total number of Hindu population at 12.3 million, which is nine hundred thousand less than the expected rate of growth.

Currently 8.5 percent of the total population of Bangladesh is Hindus, while in 2001, it was 9.2 percent.

The proportion of Christian, Buddhist and other religious minority population did not see any decline in the past

well Hindu can't match the "speed". And the many of them ran away or died from fear of MALSI.

Alarming decrease in Hindu population in Bangladesh :: Weekly Blitz

According to statistics available with the government sources, the proportionate decrease in Hindu population is around nine hundred thousand.

The statistics show almost elimination of Hindu population in fifteen districts in the country.

Most of the Hindu families in those districts were forced to leave the country. In 2001, the total number of Hindu population in Bangladesh was 16.83 million, while the population was expected to be 18.2 million in 2011. But the latest statistics available with the government shows the total number of Hindu population at 12.3 million, which is nine hundred thousand less than the expected rate of growth.

Currently 8.5 percent of the total population of Bangladesh is Hindus, while in 2001, it was 9.2 percent.

The proportion of Christian, Buddhist and other religious minority population did not see any decline in the past

we do not have complete picture , so can not say :undecided:

Back
Top Bottom