Reaction score
Country
India
Hindu reporter forced to drink from separate glass at workplace in Karachi
By Hafeez Tunio
Published: June 27, 2016

1131415-SahibOad-1467056116-493-640x480.jpg

Sahib Oad. PHOTO: FACEBOOK

KARACHI: A Hindu reporter was forced to drink water from a separate glass at his workplace since his colleagues found out that he belongs to the scheduled caste.

Sahib Khan Oad works as a senior reporter with government news agency, Associated Press of Pakistan (APP), where he has been barred from drinking water in the same glass and sharing utensils with other Muslim staff.

Oad hails from Dadu district and has completed his Master’s from Quaid-e-Azam University Islamabad. He is now pursuing MPhil in mass communication from Sindh University. He was initially appointed as a reporter in APP Islamabad and was transferred to Hyderabad and then Karachi in April this year.

The discriminatory attitude started soon after his younger son, Raj Kumar, visited his office and everyone found out that he was Hindu. “Actually my name contains the word ‘Khan’ so everyone in the office initially thought I was Muslim,” he explained. “The bureau chief asked me to separate my drinking water glass in the office because some colleagues had reservations.”

Since Ramazan started, Oad’s work environment worsened. He is not allowed to sit at the same dining table at the time of Iftar and senior colleagues have suggested he bring his own plates and glasses if he wants to eat in the office. “I have now bought a separate glass and plate for the office,” he said.

APP Karachi bureau chief Parvez Aslam denied making any such request. “He was suffering from flu so we suggested he arrange a separate glass,” he said. Aslam pointed out that he supported Oad when he was transferred from Hyderabad and called the discrimination charges ‘total propaganda’. “You can come to my office and see how he eats Iftar with us,” he said.

Meanwhile, APP managing director Masood Malik said that they have started inquiry into the matter.

Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research (Piler), an organisation that works for labour rights, has written a letter to federal information minister Pervaiz Rashid against the discriminatory attitude.

“We are really shocked to know that a bureau chief of a government news agency has pressurised a reporter to drink in a separate glass because he is Hindu,” wrote Piler executive director Karmat Ali.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 28th, 2016.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1131415/hindu-reporter-forced-drink-separate-glass-workplace/

============================================

"Imagine"

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world... You...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

- John Lennon

Last edited:
I personally prefer to bring my own glass to all occasions don't trust public dirty glass

There is no joy in knowing some other dirty lad drank from the cup god knows where that mouth had been

That is also why in western countries ppl love the disposable paper glass in workplace

Wow...this from seemingly educated people...that too a government agency...what next separate toilets? Separate benches? Separate restaurants...segregation in the making.

@Rain Man is untouchability (like Sharat Chandra wrote about) still prevalent in rural India?

Wow...this from seemingly educated people...that too a government agency...what next separate toilets? Separate benches? Separate restaurants...segregation in the making.

@Rain Man is untouchability (like Sharat Chandra wrote about) still prevalent in rural India?

In some parts of rural India, yes.

We are talking about religion here I think..
You are aware that over here.
This is just a bunch of people that just think that he's from a different sect and don't want to share a glass while on the other hand you have a bunch of people assaulting someone for not being from there sect and forcing them to accept the truth and convert. correct?

Sad case of workplace discrimination based on a particular office; However, it has nothing to do with the majority of Hindus in Karachi. They eat, drink and sleep in the same accommodations and workplaces everyone does.

Hindu reporter forced to drink from separate glass at workplace in Karachi
By Hafeez Tunio
Published: June 27, 2016

1131415-SahibOad-1467056116-493-640x480.jpg

Sahib Oad. PHOTO: FACEBOOK

KARACHI: A Hindu reporter was forced to drink water from a separate glass at his workplace since his colleagues found out that he belongs to the scheduled caste.

Sahib Khan Oad works as a senior reporter with government news agency, Associated Press of Pakistan (APP), where he has been barred from drinking water in the same glass and sharing utensils with other Muslim staff.

Oad hails from Dadu district and has completed his Master’s from Quaid-e-Azam University Islamabad. He is now pursuing MPhil in mass communication from Sindh University. He was initially appointed as a reporter in APP Islamabad and was transferred to Hyderabad and then Karachi in April this year.

The discriminatory attitude started soon after his younger son, Raj Kumar, visited his office and everyone found out that he was Hindu. “Actually my name contains the word ‘Khan’ so everyone in the office initially thought I was Muslim,” he explained. “The bureau chief asked me to separate my drinking water glass in the office because some colleagues had reservations.”

Since Ramazan started, Oad’s work environment worsened. He is not allowed to sit at the same dining table at the time of Iftar and senior colleagues have suggested he bring his own plates and glasses if he wants to eat in the office. “I have now bought a separate glass and plate for the office,” he said.

APP Karachi bureau chief Parvez Aslam denied making any such request. “He was suffering from flu so we suggested he arrange a separate glass,” he said. Aslam pointed out that he supported Oad when he was transferred from Hyderabad and called the discrimination charges ‘total propaganda’. “You can come to my office and see how he eats Iftar with us,” he said.

Meanwhile, APP managing director Masood Malik said that they have started inquiry into the matter.

Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research (Piler), an organisation that works for labour rights, has written a letter to federal information minister Pervaiz Rashid against the discriminatory attitude.

“We are really shocked to know that a bureau chief of a government news agency has pressurised a reporter to drink in a separate glass because he is Hindu,” wrote Piler executive director Karmat Ali.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 28th, 2016.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1131415/hindu-reporter-forced-drink-separate-glass-workplace/

============================================

"Imagine"

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world... You...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

- John Lennon
What a beautiful poem their.

Sahib Khan Oad.. a Hindu name ? some thing is not quite right .

Sahib Khan Oad.. a Hindu name ? some thing is not quite right .

'Khan' with a silent 'n' is a Hindu title, rest of his name is probably influenced by his society, there are many Muslim Bangladeshis with Hindu-sounding names.

Such a shame. I haven't gone through any writings in religious scripture that bars you from eating and drinking with non muslims, such prejudice is ingrained in south asian society. We haven't gotten over "untouchable" issue yet.

Back
Top Bottom