What's new

Hindu protesters disrupt Bin Laden movie shoot in India

MM_Haider

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NEW DELHI: Right-wing Hindu activists on Friday disrupted shooting for Oscar-winner Kathryn Bigelow’s movie on the hunt for Osama bin Laden, protesting the use of Indian locations to portray Pakistan.

Members of the hardline Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) stormed the set in Chandigarh, the northern Indian city famously designed by Swiss-French architect Le Corbusier, where Bigelow’s crew had been shooting for four days.

The location was a Chandigarh market, which the production company had transformed with shopboard signs in Urdu, rickshaws with Lahore number plates and burqa-clad extras.

“They removed signs that had been put up in Urdu and also pushed and abused the camera crew. They raised slogans against Pakistan and forcibly removed some Pakistani flags,” a local police officer told AFP by telephone.

“We don’t want Pakistani flags on Indian soil and we don’t agree that Indian markets should look like Pakistan,” said VHP secretary Ramkrishna Srivastava.

Under the working title “Zero Dark Thirty,” Bigelow’s latest film recounts the hunt for bin Laden, which ended when US special forces raided his hideout in the Pakistan’s garrison town of Abbottabad last May, killing the al Qaeda leader.

With filming in Pakistan not an option, there has been intense media speculation about what locations might be chosen by Bigelow, who won the 2010 Oscar for Best Director for “The Hurt Locker”.

Indian newspaper reports had suggested she might look to recreate the recently demolished three-storey bin Laden hideout in the desert state of Rajasthan.

The Indian line production company involved in the film said the shooting in Chandigarh was simply aimed at collecting “establishing” shots with a Pakistani feel.

“No real sets have been built at all. The actual recreation of Abbottabad will not even be in India. It’s being done in Jordan,” said a member of the company who declined to be identified.

He said talks had been held with the Hindu protestors to try and defuse the situation.

“We explained that there’s nothing here against Hinduism, nothing against Pakistan. It’s just a movie,” he said.

“Nothing has been shut down. We are still filming and will continue to do so,” he added.

The film is scheduled to be released at the end of 2012.

:argh:

Hindu protesters disrupt Bin Laden movie shoot in India – The Express Tribune

IDK but i thought they were merely trying to renact the surroundings of abottabad and meant no offence to anyone in India ,furthermore read somewhere that protester were actually not happy with use of Pak flag inside Indian territory which was there only complain..

hindu protests?????? come on.... i m the resident of same city & i know why & what happened. shooting for movie was going on for 3 days in the market area for 12 hrs daily from 7 am to 7 pm. traders were suffering losses as entry points to the market were blocked & they were suffering losses, that is why traders protested today. it has nothing to do with movie being made on osama.

I agree with fellow Indians here..these VHP, Bajarangdal idiots are bunch of losers..
I hope the crew will not cancel their shooting in India..

If there is anything, they should feel proud about this shooting happening in India..They could have done in Pakistan or Afghanistan but they didn't. It was mostly because of the security concerns or permissions issue. India is the natural choice for them...

I agree with fellow Indians here..these VHP, Bajarangdal idiots are bunch of losers..

If there is anything, they should feel proud about this shooting happening in India..They could have done in Pakistan or Afghanistan but they didn't. It was mostly because of the security concerns or permissions issue. India is the natural choice for them...

no, the western idiots are too stupid and retarded to realize that Abbotabad (and Lahore) are unique places that have nothing to do with any indian city

the people arent even the same at all

Why does bollywood wants to make a film on everything from the shitest thing to terrorist movies

OBL movie in Pakistan.. The crew will be eaten alive.. :D

hahaha..i live in Chandigarh... believe me when i say ..it was the funniest **** ud ever see.

THe news is purposefully circulated so as to portray those concerns when making this movie..

Its a political gimmick.We dont want more goras adding stuff tht could blur the lines there notorious for being inconsiderate.

Does one not know it happens in pakistan cmon...American can be dumb but they all kno what happens in Pakistan.

hahaha..i live in Chandigarh... believe me when i say ..it was the funniest **** ud ever see.

THe news is purposefully circulated so as to portray those concerns when making this movie..

Its a political gimmick.We dont want more goras adding stuff tht could blur the lines there notorious for being inconsiderate.

Does one not know it happens in pakistan cmon...American can be dumb but they all kno what happens in Pakistan.

in which sector shooting is going on??i will go tomorrow :lol:

I don't get it why they took so much pain?? Instead, they should have approached Pakistani govt and asked for the house OBL really lived in.. All they had to do was to fill pockets of few people running affair of the country and they would have gotten hold of real terrorist hosting town & house.. Why unnecessarily waste time in India. Nobody in India likes to be associated in any manner with terrorism and terrorists like OBL.. Sorry but bitter truth..

Back
Top Bottom