What's new

HELINA – HELICOPTER VERSION ARRIVES

jung41

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Helina_DRDO_Anti_Tank_Missile.jpg
At first glance, the name HeliNa appears synonymous with Helena - the devious Greek queen mother in the ongoing TV serial Chakravarty Ashok Samrat. But though HeliNa is the helicopter version of the indigenous fire and forget missile ‘Nag’, it is as vicious as the mentioned Helena. On July 13, three round trials of HeliNa were conducted at Chandhan firing range in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. The missiles were test fired from the Rudra which is the armed version of HAL’s Dhruv helicopter equipped with forward looking IR and TI sights interface, a 20 mm turret gun, 70 mm rocked pods and equipped to carry ATGMs and Air-to-Air missiles. Two out of the three missiles fired hit the target successfully at a range of seven kilometers, with one missing the target.
RUDRA Gunship - Armed version of DHRUV Advanced Light Helicopter

An earlier developmental trial of helicopter launched Nag (HeliNa) was conducted from a defence base off the Odisha coast in December 2013. The short range weapon was test-fired by the missile handling unit of HAL from the launching complex-II of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur-on-sea. This was actually the third trial of an upgraded and air version of surface-to-surface missile Nag. Earlier two trials of this third generation ‘fire and forget’ missile was conducted from the Pokhran firing range and claimed as successful.
The test firing at Pokhran was seeker evaluation trials for anti-tank missile Nag in hot desert conditions of Rajasthan. These trials were against both moving and static targets for different ranges of 2.8 km and 3.2 km to evaluate the performance of an improved version of Imaging Infrared (IIR) seeker. While Nag missile has a maximum range of four km, the seeker proved to be accurate only up to 2.5 km in extremely hot conditions in the trials conducted last year. The missile could strike its targets up to four km but in extreme heat conditions, the missile could not reach targets beyond three km. The Army also raised reservations against the weight of the missile since Nag weighed around 40 kgs that made reloading difficult.
The DRDO has been working to meet the demands from the Army; reducing the weight of the missile in its next versions - Mark-II Nag and also to equip it with a seeker with high resolution which can distinguish the target from the other ground objects at a distance of up to four km. In June 2014, two-round trials of helicopter launched Nag (HeliNa) were conducted by firing these missiles from an IAF helicopter near the ITR at Chandipur-on-sea. While one missile reportedly failed to give expected results, the other was successful. This was fourth and fifth trial of the upgraded missile Nag. Earlier three trials of this third generation ‘fire and forget’ missile was conducted from both the Pokhran firing range and ITR and dubbed as successful. The trial conducted during the noon was reportedly unsuccessful as the missile failed to hit the target as expected. However, the second test carried out in the afternoon was successful.
The Army has been awaiting the induction of the Nag missile since long. The missile, which is under development since 1980s, had earlier failed during user trials from Mahajan firing range in Rajasthan in 2012. The missile was then fired with a modified carrier NAMICA (Nag Missile Carrier), a modified BMP-2 ICV equipped with a thermal imager for target acquisition. The Nag missile can strike its targets up to four km but in extreme heat conditions, the missile has been underperforming. The DRDO is working to fix this problem.
While Nag missile has a maximum range of four km, the HeliNa has an extended strike range of about eight km. HeliNa is air-to-land version of Nag missile, which is one of the five missile systems developed by DRDO under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP). Once inducted in the Armed Forces, the HeliNa missile will be integrated with the weaponized version of the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Dhruv and the light combat helicopter produced by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). It can be launched from twin-tube stub wing-mounted launchers on board the armed light combat helicopters and advanced light helicopters. This missile is airborne and has a lock-on-after system which helps in extending its range up to nearly eight km.

Good new for us and the results are showing good stats... HAL did a good job....

ALL will be sorted out once Israeli missiles arrive

High time we stop investing our precious time and hard earned money on available technologies which can be bought with ToT. Rather we should go with futuristic technology . We dont achieve anything other than experience. Which also can be bought with money under Make in India .

i do understand when we started These project's. But today things habe changed for good. Today we determine the terms and conditions of the deal.There are hell lots of options available too. . .

So our aim should be for lighter and more precise ATM missiles with atleast 6km range . Additional effort should be made to extend the range to 20 KM our radars and information gathering is also increased to a world standard.

MY small requests for our DRDo.

High time we stop investing our precious time and hard earned money on available technologies which can be bought with ToT. Rather we should go with futuristic technology . We dont achieve anything other than experience. Which also can be bought with money under Make in India .

i do understand when we started These project's. But today things habe changed for good. Today we determine the terms and conditions of the deal.There are hell lots of options available too. . .

So our aim should be for lighter and more precise ATM missiles with atleast 6km range . Additional effort should be made to extend the range to 20 KM our radars and information gathering is also increased to a world standard.

20km range for ATGM cannot be fulfilled without developing a radar for our gunships, similar to that of Apache. So before going for the ATGM, we will need a radar.

Also SPIKE won't be arriving from Israel. Recent developments seem that it will be produced here only from the first missile itself.

You seem to have little understanding of TOT and what it entails.
TOT is not some magic, catchall umbrella term that covers everything. Some TOT leaves critical Tech out; and very naturally at that...... the parent developer/ manufacturer does not want to drive itself out of business!!!

So R&D and D&D are compulsory steps that must be taken to develop a Defense Industry that is sustainable and sanction-proof for any large and viable Military to remain functional.

20km range for ATGM cannot be fulfilled without developing a radar for our gunships, similar to that of Apache. So before going for the ATGM, we will need a radar.

Also SPIKE won't be arriving from Israel. Recent developments seem that it will be produced here only from the first missile itself.
are you talking about portable nag?

@ni8mare

No.
My reply was in response to 20Km range of Helina.

Portable NAG is still in development and I don't think it will be worth discussing before 2017.

TOT is not some magic, catchall umbrella term that covers everything. Some TOT leaves critical Tech out; and very naturally at that...... the parent developer/ manufacturer does not want to drive itself out of business!!!

So R&D and D&D are compulsory steps that must be taken to develop a Defense Industry that is sustainable and sanction-proof for any large and viable Military to remain functional.

Kids!! :D :D Better ignore them.

20 KM ATGM needs a radar

:enjoy::enjoy::enjoy::enjoy:

I dint say R&D is not necessary . We should focus on out of the box weapon system. We can get enough experience with ToT. And I agree which was not available in the past.

Here Here comes the santa with butt load of parenting for kids in forums.

@ni8mare

No.
My reply was in response to 20Km range of Helina.

Portable NAG is still in development and I don't think it will be worth discussing before 2017.

Not even by then... once the procurement of Spike starts IA will place huge order since we got ToT for that, not to mention the talks between india and US to co-develop next gen Javelin

there's no way this missile will see the light..

I dint say R&D is not necessary . We should focus on out of the box weapon system. We can get enough experience with ToT. And I agree which was not available in the past.

It is very clear from your posts that you do not know what TOT is and all that it involves. It is something that I've explained a number of times in the past on this forum and at quite some length.

For the present, I 'll confine myself to saying just this. If we are not able to make even "in the box weapon systems" completely by ourselves we'll be simply nuts to start trying to make "out of the box weapon systems". Now, give that a hard thought.

Monday, July 13, 2015
IDN TAKE: DRDL VIDEO: HELINA ANTI-TANK MISSILE ANIMATION | Indian Defence News

India has successfully tested an indigenously developed anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) from a Helicopter.
The anti-tank missile, “HeliNa (HELIcopter Nag)” is the helicopter launched version of Nag missile developed by the Defense Research Development Organization (DRDO) among the five missiles developed under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). Three missiles were fired from the Chandan firing range in Jaisalmer of which two hit the target.

Three ‘HeliNa’ missiles were fired during the guided flight trials at Chandan firing range in Jaisalmer.

Back
Top Bottom