What's new

Heckler & Koch wins tender to replace French army's FAMAS

Official infographics but 5 years old :
FamFelKit.png

That's easy enough with picatinny rails. Wiring and voilà!
Good day all, Tay.

@Nilgiri @Taygibay @Norge Stronk

Official statement from HK.

France selects the HK416 as its new assault rifle

After an extensive evaluation lasting more than one year, the French Direction Générale de l’Armement has selected the HK416 as the successor of the famous "FAMAS" assault rifle.

Heckler & Koch GmbH is honored and proud to announce that it has been officially awarded last week by the French Direction Générale de l’Armement the contract for the supply of the future French assault rifle. Known initially as the "Arme Individuelle Future" (AIF), the selected weapon is a variant of the battle-proven HK416A5 assault rifle.

The HK416 will replace the well-known "FAMAS" assault rifle which is no longer produced, bringing modularity and flexibility to the needs of the French military.

The contract calls for the supply over a period of 15 years of up to 102,000 5.56 x 45 mm NATO rifles, 10,767 40 x 46 mm grenade launchers, ammunition, spare parts, support services and accessories. The weapon will be available in two versions with different barrel lengths depending on the user mission and will equip all Army, Navy and Air Force personnel.

After a technical evaluation which pushed all competitors to their technical limits, the HK416 was a top performer and the cornerstone of a high performance and fully integrated weapon system.

The HK416 is a robust, reliable and accurate weapon produced in Oberndorf am Neckar, in Germany’s Black Forest region, using the finest materials including the best French steels which provide its legendary robustness. It is a user-friendly weapon that has proven its capabilities on military operations in numerous occasions.

Heckler & Koch GmbH, in cooperation with its French subsidiary Heckler & Koch France SAS, is fully committed to providing the best service and support to the French armed forces for the next thirty years.

http://www.heckler-koch.com/en/pres...lects-the-hk416-as-its-new-assault-rifle.html

The HK416 is a robust, reliable and accurate weapon produced in Oberndorf am Neckar, in Germany’s Black Forest region, using the finest materials including the best French steels which provide its legendary robustness.

Thanks!

@Technogaianist Out of curiosity,how much did you pay for your 416s ?

The initial contract was $16.7 million for 8,200 rifles. Follow on orders were then placed to completely phase out the G3.

That comes out to $1,900 per gun, but keep in mind ours are a specialized winterized variant for use in cold, humid climates, so the cost may be elevated a bit.

As far as I know, no

Any plans to replace the M249, if not with the M27?

Haw, the French are going German. The world is coming to an end.

Any plans to replace the M249, if not with the M27?

Not as far as I know.
On another subject....It was told we could order more HK-417s to replace the FRF2s,but in the longer term. It was ordered for use in Afghanistan and received very positive feedbacks.

Haw, the French are going German. The world is coming to an end.

The germans are our neighbor,our friends,our allies,we are getting one of the best rifle on the market,they made a very competitive offer,and at the end,everyone is happy as our boys just love it.

I was 'saddened' by the generalized 'germanophobia' in our politic class....
You should have seen all the fuss over here about not providing our soldiers with home made rifles,but even worse when the german one won. As usual,politicians who know jack sh*t about what they are talking about.

On another subject....It was told we could order more HK-417s to replace the FRF2s,but in the longer term. It was ordered for use in Afghanistan and received very positive feedbacks.

You'll sacrifice about 100 meters going from the FR F2 to a 20" HK417, and a bit of accuracy going from bolt action to semi-auto, but the switch is a good one in estimation.

ARW_30th_Anniversary_-_4478683088.jpg

The 417 supports more rapid engagements and can transition into a DMR If needed, where as a bolt action gun is always going to be best used as a sniper weapon system.

But if you must have a precision fire, bolt action gun, there's always this beast and its big brother to call upon.

Mini_Hecate_338.jpg

Can't we just replace the FRF2 with Hecate all through? :woot:

OK, maybe Hecate III or Hecate Lite with composites/CF?
No? :what: . . . Oh, well! :dirol:

As for the 416 being German, it is also only made with French steel. :tup:

BTW, straight from HK, the deal in text :
http://www.heckler-koch.com/de/pres...lects-the-hk416-as-its-new-assault-rifle.html

Excerpt :
From 2017 onwards members of the Army, Air Force and Navy will be equipped with their new service weapon. The contract calls for the supply of 102,000 HK416F 5.56mm x 45 NATO assault rifles, 10,767 HK269F 40mm x 46 grenade launchers, accessories, ammunition, spares and support services over a period of fifteen years. The HK416 versions HK416F-C with an 11" barrel and HK416F-S with a 14.5" barrel will serve France in future.
Great day all, Tay.

@Vergennes

So it will be the HK 416 F. Sounds good to me but do we know what modifications we asked to the regular 416 ?

I live at less than 100 km from Oberndorf am Neckar so I guess I could go and check if the germanz are working well :pleasantry:

I have good memories with the Famas but obviously our guys needed something more modern

@Vergennes

So it will be the HK 416 F. Sounds good to me but do we know what modifications we asked to the regular 416 ?

I live at less than 100 km from Oberndorf am Neckar so I guess I could go and check if the germanz are working well :pleasantry:

No news about it yet. Maybe @Taygibay knows anything ?
The only thing we know for now is that there will be two versions delivered with two different barrel lenght ;

-HK416F-C with an 11" barrel.
-HK416F-S with a 14.5" barrel.

But you might already know it.
-
Visually,the 416F seems to lack some features of the 416A5 such as ;

-The lower rail,that doesn't extend all the way to the rear.
-The flip-up sight,isn't integrated to the rail system,meaning it can be removed.
-It seems that it is lacking the adjustable gas regulator. (But regular forces do not need to run a suppressor.)
-Seems like soldiers will receive the E1 stock instead of the slime line one. (Heard it is better.)

mmao.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom