What's new

HDI in India rises by 21%: Kerala leads, Gujarat far behind

The point is, because of less arable land, the state benefited from Modi's far-sightedness. Kerala being another food basket of India must focus on cutting edge state of the art agricultural technologies and better mechanism to manage the greenery it has. Trust me, Punjab and Kerala are two states that if do a Modi in terms of Agricultural management, entire India will be food-loaded.

Kerala is spice basket, rubber basket but food basket...I don't think so. We are a nett consumer state. We mainly depend on AP for rice, TN for vegetables ,egg and meat and Karnataka for milk.

Kerala is spice basket, rubber basket but food basket...I don't think so. We are a nett consumer state. We mainly depend on AP for rice, TN for vegetables ,egg and meat and Karnataka for milk.

I am talking in terms of harnessing that potential, bhai. The greenery Kerala has is enough to sustain that. One of the most fertile lands in the country alongside Sundarbans.

Kerala no doubt is a model to be followed for HDI. Corruption is one of the lowest and has great natural wealth. But sadly, they don't do much with their human or natural resources. Keralites work hard when they go out of their state but lazy at their home. Another problem with Kerala is the hostility towards outsiders.

I am talking in terms of harnessing that potential, bhai. The greenery Kerala has is enough to sustain that. One of the most fertile lands in the country alongside Sundarbans.

Doing agriculture is now getting more and more expensive In Kerala due to the high cost of labour. Most of the paddy fields are lying barren (including my family's). So people are more concentrating on cash crops like spices and rubber.My family converted a part of paddy field to rubber plantation.

Kerala no doubt is a model to be followed for HDI. Corruption is one of the lowest and has great natural wealth. But sadly, they don't do much with their human or natural resources. Keralites work hard when they go out of their state but lazy at their home. Another problem with Kerala is the hostility towards outsiders.

I would like to object that as Kerala is a magnet for migrant labours due to the high wages. In my city Trivandrum, Tamils work as recyclers to wealthy whole sale dealers & hotel owners. Earlier Tamils also worked as labours in construction industry, but due to the increasing prosperity of TN that job is taken up by Biharis & Bengalis.

I would like to object that as Kerala is a magnet for migrant labours due to the high wages. In my city Trivandrum, Tamils work as recyclers to wealthy whole sale dealers & hotel owners. Earlier Tamils also worked as labours in construction industry, but due to the increasing prosperity of TN that job is taken up by Biharis & Bengalis.

And two recent reports already have seen on attacks to migrant workers. One in allepey district and one in Trivandrum.

And two recent reports already have seen on attacks to migrant workers. One in allepey district and one in Trivandrum.

Have you seen the news recently ...Malayali nurses are being illtreated in Mumbai & Delhi.

Things could be changing. But transfers to Kerala were dreaded by bank and government employees. I know people who resigned their jobs because of the harassment there. The very rich and very poor do not usually face such hostility but it is the middle class in service sector . I truly believe the newer generation is a lot better. Things are changing because of IT industry and increase in consumerism. More outsiders are coming to Kerala and adaptation is inevitable. But it was not the case a few years back.

Things could be changing. But transfers to Kerala were dreaded by bank and government employees. I know people who resigned their jobs because of the harassment there. The very rich and very poor do not usually face such hostility but it is the middle class in service sector . I truly believe the newer generation is a lot better. Things are changing because of IT industry and increase in consumerism. More outsiders are coming to Kerala and adaptation is inevitable. But it was not the case a few years back.

I don't know about this but you can't survive in Kerala without a working knowledge of Malayalam especially outside the major cities.

Have you seen the news recently ...Malayali nurses are being illtreated in Mumbai & Delhi.

Any Sources?

I have Many Mallu Friends. Infact I grew among many Mallus. They are never Mistreated at least in Mumbai. :tup:

The issue is everywhere..nurses are vulnerable just like a migrant worker.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

I don't know about this but you can't survive in Kerala without a working knowledge of Malayalam especially outside the major cities.

Cant be completly true.. there is a long list of even foreigners who have settled down here.

Maybe its true in the lower levels of the chain.

Any Sources?

I have Many Mallu Friends. Infact I grew among many Mallus. They are never Mistreated at least in Mumbai. :tup:

The story broke today, Malayali Nurses in Asian Heart Hospital are protesting as they are underpaid (just 7000/month), overworked (sometime 16 hrs) and they are not even allowed to resign (you have to pay INR 50,000 to be allowed to resign to get your certificates back) and one Malayali nurse committed suicide and this incident acted as a catalyst to their rage.

At the same time, the quantum of improvement in HDI in some of the poor states was higher than the national average, the report said, citing the cases of Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa and Assam.

YA YA!!!! it seems that finally the hard work of our CM, nitish kumar, is starting to show... But Bihar still lags behind everyone else by a great margin.. the need is continuous sincere work for next 10 years..... and then, from being an embarrassment to the nation, Bihar will once again gain its rightful place which it was holding for 2000 years....:yahoo:

YA YA!!!! it seems that finally the hard work of our CM, nitish kumar, is starting to show... But Bihar still lags behind everyone else by a great margin.. the need is continuous sincere work for next 10 years..... and then, from being an embarrassment to the nation, Bihar will once again gain its rightful place which it was holding for 2000 years....:yahoo:

Just don't elect the likes of Lalu in between. It will be not only a favor to Bihar but India as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom