What's new

Has the US lost its air supremacy in military combat?

Very pragmatic presentation and I like how this report presents things he talks in easy pace and doesn't leave mentioning anything that is constructive

Well I think the US is still no 1 but it does have serious challengers now from China and Russia

It depends upon how you look at things.

If you consider air superiority the ability to project your air force at will anywhere in the world then that is a difficult task to do.

You need multiple aerial refueling bases strategically stationed around the world. Even the US relies on using military bases in allied countries.

Of course it's almost impossible for the US to have any air superiority in a place on the other side of the planet < 100 miles from China's shore border.

Russia says they are nervous because Moscow is 300 miles from their border with some NATO friendly countries.

Last edited:
The US has over 700 operational 5th Gen fighters, at least 5 B-21 bombers in production, and has already flown a 6th Gen fighter prototype as of 2020.

The US owns the skies
I learn a lot reading posts from yourself and some of the others, and one of the things I've learned is that US air dominance is as much/more about networked capabilities as opposed to just individual weapons or platforms. With the planned upgrades to network centric warfare as well as new weapons/platforms planned to enter service over the next ten years, isn't the gap between the US and near peer rivals only going to grow?

US has sheer power, their each carrier group with support all over the world in the form of bases and logistic facilities, is in itself a comprehensive power punch to deter any country on the earth.

China even if equals in fire power which will be at some time with fighter planes and aircraft carriers, need to expand on global scale with their bases established around the World. Logistics is a very important factor that benefits US. their network warfare capabilities also include a network of logistics all over the World.

Be it number of aircraft
Be it quality of aircraft
Be it the quality of fighter pilot training or
Be it the amount of combat experience

USA remains number 1 and will remain so.

I think USA has a vast gap compared to China and Russia but only because USA forces are spread globally across different bases, China and Russia are more centralized on their own Country

Air Force
900 F16
250 F15 C/D
218 F15 E
200 Raptors
300 F35 Lightening
800 Apache (Army Aviation)

Marine
300 F18 Hornets A/B/C/D
60 F35

Navy
200 Growler E/F
500 Super Hornets

But combining the assets China / Russia capabilities are some what comparable, defensively
Offensively I think China / Russia have more regional focus vs USA being spread globally. Russia/China do have ICBM for offensive needs

Hard to tell 1 vs 1 scenarios as the modern planes have never came across each other
Apart from a incident between Turkish F16 And Russian Jet recently

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom